Sonic & Knuckles XBLA on Sale for 240 MSP

[quote name='GlassAgate']Thanks for the update. I wonder if any other games are on the cheap.

Can Silver members get in on this?[/QUOTE]
Yes. If you check the website Andami provided, you'll see the price is visible to all members, not just Gold users.

Not a bad price at all for a nice Genesis relic.

No reason to whip out the bold, red text; This is just deal-worthy enough to require a simple title change.

Easy there, people, we're civil and adult here at CAG; Internet Bullies won't get the same satisfaction they get on those Zelda boards.

This probably gets asked all the time, but is there any advantage to getting this version over the one included on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection disc? Besides the price, I mean. Any differences between the two?

[quote name='Viper45']This probably gets asked all the time, but is there any advantage to getting this version over the one included on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection disc? Besides the price, I mean. Any differences between the two?[/QUOTE]

200 achievement points, and I think the lock on stuff from the Genesis days work with these but not the Collection disc, but corrent me if I'm wrong, I only have the disc.

[quote name='Viper45']This probably gets asked all the time, but is there any advantage to getting this version over the one included on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection disc? Besides the price, I mean. Any differences between the two?[/QUOTE]
The price, perhaps. The only other advantage I can imagine for Sonic & Knuckles on XBLA is the fact that it's digitally distributed and doesn't require a disc to play.

If you've got the spare $20 or so, grab the Ultimate Genesis Collection, since it'll give you all the Sonic games plus lots more. You'll get infinitely (Relatively speaking.) more value for your money, and won't be limited to a single Sonic game. (Especially in this case, since Sonic & Knuckles can be summarized as "Sonic 3: Part 2.")

Just to repeat myself, buy the Ultimate Genesis Collection. (After all, it has Shining Force II, an RPG no one should skip.)

Other than achievements? The only difference I can think of would be online play. I don't think the UGC version has that. I don't think there are leaderboards either on the UGC version. Don't quote me on this though, I've only played UGC once or twice.

I bought this like 2 weeks ago (after the Sonic sale ended) for 240. I think they just never marked it back up, which makes sense, since it's the worst of all the Genesis Sonic games.

[quote name='mrosnwo']200 achievement points, and I think the lock on stuff from the Genesis days work with these but not the Collection disc, but corrent me if I'm wrong, I only have the disc.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks for the info. I have heard that the arcade versions could do the lock on thing, but I didn't know if the disc version could.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The price, perhaps. The only other advantage I can imagine for Sonic & Knuckles on XBLA is the fact that it's digitally distributed and doesn't require a disc to play.

If you've got the spare $20 or so, grab the Ultimate Genesis Collection, since it'll give you all the Sonic games plus lots more. You'll get infinitely (Relatively speaking.) more value for your money, and won't be limited to a single Sonic game. (Especially in this case, since Sonic & Knuckles can be summarized as "Sonic 3: Part 2.")

Just to repeat myself, buy the Ultimate Genesis Collection. (After all, it has Shining Force II, an RPG no one should skip.)[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I'm most likely not going to get the Ultimate Genesis Collection any time soon, unless I find it for really cheap. I think I might just bite on this deal, since Sonic & Knuckles was my favorite Sonic game. Yeah, even without Sonic 3.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Alright, thanks for the info. I have heard that the arcade versions could do the lock on thing, but I didn't know if the disc version could.

They can. There's an option in the menu for S&K if you have that and Sonic 1 (I think), otherwise you access S2 and S3 thru the menus in those games when you have S&K also.

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']They can. There's an option in the menu for S&K if you have that and Sonic 1 (I think), otherwise you access S2 and S3 thru the menus in those games when you have S&K also.[/QUOTE]

To clarify, the arcade version can. The Collection versions cannot.

Yeah, it's pretty lame that you can't lock-on Sonic & Knuckles with the "Ultimate" Genesis Collection. I remember their excuse, too, which soon became apparent bullshit when we could install disc games to the hard drive. The game is only 700 MB, how the hell was there not enough room?

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']They can. There's an option in the menu for S&K if you have that and Sonic 1 (I think), otherwise you access S2 and S3 thru the menus in those games when you have S&K also.[/QUOTE]

This is worded funny.

Sonic's Ultimate Collection does NOT have the lock-on versions of the games. The XBLA Arcade does.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The price, perhaps. The only other advantage I can imagine for Sonic & Knuckles on XBLA is the fact that it's digitally distributed and doesn't require a disc to play.

Just to repeat myself, buy the Ultimate Genesis Collection. (After all, it has Shining Force II, an RPG no one should skip.)[/QUOTE]

Unless you're an achievement whore. The XBLA game has 200 points and I don't think there are any points for it on Ultimate Genesis Collection, where the games that do have points only give 10-25GS. Of course you'd have to care a lot more about points than dollars to make that trade off since the Ultimate Genesis Collection is a sick deal for damn near every game worth playing on Genesis and then some.

I got the Ultimate collection a while back and was bummed to find out I couldn't "lock-on" the Sonic games. Probably would have just held out in that case. It did get me Vectorman out of the deal though :)

[quote name='Skoad']Yeah, it's pretty lame that you can't lock-on Sonic & Knuckles with the "Ultimate" Genesis Collection. I remember their excuse, too, which soon became apparent bullshit when we could install disc games to the hard drive. The game is only 700 MB, how the hell was there not enough room?[/QUOTE]
I don't think it was a matter of space, but of technology conflicting with one another (at least that's what I got from the article). That, and they probably also got lazy (it was probably more beneficial to the publisher to release the game as-is than spending more time and resources on it).

Okay, I have purchased Sonic 2 (during first sale) and SnK (current deal).
How do I "lock them"? Time to go down memory lane.....:)....:eek:....

Okay, I figured it out. "BONUS CONTENT"? They should have called it
"Lock On mode".

I recall, before the 360 days, when game collections would come out. I think
that, back then, if a game was shipped with shoddy emulation, there wasn't
a lot that could be done, other than release it at retail, again. I figured that
this was a memory for the 360. I guess that there are some cases still around.

When I tried to do it, way back when, I could not beat
the last boss in Sonic 2, when playing as Knuckles.
I think that either I was gliding too low, or too high.

Did anyone else have this problem? I know that my post
is around 15 years too late, but I figured that someone
might be able to help.

bread's done
Back