StarCraft I - Battlechest for $9.99 + Free Digital Download XP/Vista/Mac OS X

bigwightdog

CAGiversary!
I decided to save myself some money by not buying SCII at release (I'm still disappointed over no LAN play), so I decided to comfort myself with StarCraft I. I thought I'd share what I'd found:

1. If you go on Battle.net and put in your old Starcraft CD key (doesn't matter which version...I did it with the Power Mac system 8 version CD), they will upgrade you to a free digital download Starcraft Anthology compatible with 2000, XP, Vista and/or Mac OS X...no patching required. that includes an up-to-date battle.net CD key. For XP its a 1.2GB download so make sure you have a good connection. I had to turn off peer-to-peer to increase the speed.

So yes, if you have the original StarCraft, you get treated like you own both (it and Brood War)...because the Anthology is essentially the download version of the Battlechest. I would do this soon, because you never know with Activision. They certainly don't have to support an old game this way.

2. If you don't have any of the original StarCraft disks or key codes, then Amazon currently has the StarCraft Battlechest for $9.99. The next nearest price I could find is $12.90 new at Gogamer.com. The average price (Gamestop for one) is $19.99. The full price for the Anthology direct from battle.net is $14.99.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00001IVRD/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

3. eBay may have it for cheaper (I've seen both Brood War and the original campaign for $2 + $3 shipping), but I'm not sure what happens if its used and the code is already registered...so caveat emptor.

Please note that I have tried this on XP SP3 and Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). See within the thread for more detailed info on troubleshooting Vista, Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit).

Last edited by a moderator:
They've had the free downloads since they opened the online store. If you register Diablo2 or WC3 you get a free download also. Starcraft is especiallynice though since you get the full package.

[quote name='bigant262']I've never played Starcraft before, is this worth getting for 10 bucks?[/QUOTE]
Do you like real-time strategy (RTS) games? The original Warcraft games, Halo Wars, Command & Conquer, Total Annihilation, Star Wars Empire at War, etc. are all staples of the genre.

Its absolutely one of the best and was ground-breaking at the time for its three well-balanced and somewhat unique races (human, protoss and zerg). It also has a good single player campaign (besides very strong multiplayer options, both LAN and internet).

The graphics look like a game from 1998-2000 so they have not aged especially well.

Competitive Starcraft might be the #1 sport of South Korea. Not sure why thats important but just in case.

[quote name='bigwightdog']
1. If you go on Battle.net and put in your old Starcraft or Brood War CD key (doesn't matter which version...I did it with the Power Mac system 8 version CD), they will upgrade you to a free digital download Starcraft Anthology compatible with 2000, XP, Vista and/or Mac OS X...no patching required. that includes an up-to-date battle.net CD key. For XP its a 1.2GB download so make sure you have a good connection. I had to turn off peer-to-peer to increase the speed.

So yes, if you have EITHER the original StarCraft or Brood War, you get treated like you own both...because the Anthology is essentially the download version of the Battlechest. I would do this soon, because you never know with Activision. They certainly don't have to support an old game this way.

[/QUOTE]

So, I can take either of my codes, enter it into Battle.net, and I get
to download the newest version of Starcraft, along with Brood
War, for free? Do I need to have the CD in the drive? Can I still
play the single player campaign? I haven't used the Battle.net
software, yet, but I have used Steam. Does Battle.net have an
offline mode?

[quote name='GlassAgate']So, I can take either of my codes, enter it into Battle.net, and I get
to download the newest version of Starcraft, along with Brood
War, for free? Do I need to have the CD in the drive? Can I still
play the single player campaign? I haven't used the Battle.net
software, yet, but I have used Steam. Does Battle.net have an
offline mode?[/QUOTE]
Thats how it worked for me. In fact, I ended up with two codes for Anthology (one from registering the original and a second from Broodwar), so potentially I'll be able to play one Mac and one PC (thats what we have) online at the same time.

I never had to put the CD in the drive (and like I said, it was for a Power Mac that long-since passed away, so I'm sure that XP wouldn't have done anything with the CD anyway).

Both single player campaigns are there, you pick at the start of the game just like I remember (as if I had installed both CDs). The only battle.net software that I've seen so far is the downloader...it doesn't appear to go online until you click the multiplayer (so as far as I can tell you could play single offline).

[quote name='bigant262']I've never played Starcraft before, is this worth getting for 10 bucks?[/QUOTE]

If you like real time strategies then yes it is worth because SC became the measuring stick for all RTS games after it was released.

Hell I dont even care for RTS games much myself, there are some here and there I like but I dont play them as a rule but I loved SC. I played it for years after it came out.

Its perfectly balanced between the 3 races you can play and its cool because they arent like everyother RTS where each race is basically just the same thing with different graphics. Each race in SC plays vastly different and its cool because I would constantly be finding different ways of doing things.

I bought it for 50 when it first came out and it was worth it then and to me still would be now.

[quote name='apathylad']That's pretty cool, OP. I didn't know you could get a digital version. I'll try that right now...[/QUOTE]

You can get digital versions for all the original games except diablo 1 cause it has no cd key)

Oh and here is the reg fix instructions for windows 7 x32 & x64 for starcraft and diablo (instructions are for c&c) but the general idea works for the blizzard games as well.

"
http://forums.commandandconquer.com...323BBBFA1700324913D171AA6ABF942.015052#619423

This is an actual fix for the color issue, rather than the workarounds we've been forced to deal with so far. It's based on an identical fix for StarCraft by warlord_7. You need to be using Nyerguds's 1.06b r2 patch for this, if you're not, you'll need to update the ID field on your own. Open Notepad and paste whichever one of these corresponds to the version of Windows 7 you're running:

32-bit:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold 1.06b r2]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

64-bit:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold 1.06b r2]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

File -> Save, choose All Files from the save as type pulldown menu, and save it with the extension .reg. Double click on it, confirm that you want to add the key, and give C&C a try. The Westwood intro video may still have the wrong colors (this seems random, sometimes it's fine, usually it's not), but the game and the rest of the videos will be fine. If you have your wallpaper set to slideshow, you'll still get messed up colors when your wallpaper changes. This will last until the end of any video that was playing, but will only cause a brief flicker in the actual game.

If you need to update the ID for whatever reason (new version of the C&C95 patch, fix for Red Alert or another game), run the game and then check this registry key:

32-bit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication
64-bit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication
The ID in that key is four bytes. Reverse their order, and place them between commas like in the keys above. 32dd83d5 becomes d5,83,dd,32. Use that in place of the ID in the keys I posted, change the filename to the correct one for whatever game you are trying to run, and give the key a unique name.

(And for the record, no, I have no idea what that flag actually does or what others are available. I only got it from the StarCraft fix, which itself seems to have been based on existing SC fixes already in the registry. I've searched, but I can't find any information on these flags.) This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 3/24/10 10:23:44 AM
"

HELL yeah! The bad thing about it is it ruins all other RTS for me. Every single one I've played since has me going "umm...this is okay, but I'd rather just play Starcraft again".

Really appealing graphics, great story, awesome units, etc. I fell in love with it back when I played the demo and found out the tanks transform :whistle2:D

Sucks about Starcraft 2 though. It sounds AWESOME, but I guess it has activation, so I won't be playing it.

[quote name='GlassAgate']I can't wait until they add the Battle.net version of Warcraft 2.[/QUOTE]
Yes! Thats why I say get SC Anthology while you still can. WCII was the original Battle.net game (they came out with the Battle.net version a little after the first Battlechest), so I don't know why its not there. They probably just don't want to support it.

I like WCIII a lot, but to me it never totally replaced the simpler pick up and play nature of WCII.

[quote name='bigwightdog']
1. If you go on Battle.net and put in your old Starcraft or Brood War CD key (doesn't matter which version...I did it with the Power Mac system 8 version CD), they will upgrade you to a free digital download Starcraft Anthology compatible with 2000, XP, Vista and/or Mac OS X...no patching required. that includes an up-to-date battle.net CD key.
[/QUOTE]

The key they give you is just a download key to use with the new battle.net. There's no real advantage to it over your original key other than that you can look this new one up on your battle.net account if you forget it.

So yes, if you have EITHER the original StarCraft or Brood War, you get treated like you own both...because the Anthology is essentially the download version of the Battlechest. I would do this soon, because you never know with Activision. They certainly don't have to support an old game this way.

I've never heard of Brood War coming with its own separate CD-key, so unless you have some special version that does, you need the original starcraft. As jalu6 said, they've offered this download for a while now and I don't expect it to go away anytime soon. Still a good idea to register your game though.

eBay may have it for cheaper (I've seen both Brood War and the original campaign for $2 + $3 shipping), but I'm not sure what happens if its used and the code is already registered...so caveat emptor.

You can't have two people with the same cd-key playing on battle.net at the same time, so I'd stay away from used copies.

I was thinking about buying it, but I am just going to wait until the starcraft 2 collector edition drops so I can get the starcraft 1 that comes with it.

[quote name='danny8k']Nice. Thanks OP. Now, where the hell is my Starcraft Battlechest :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Good question, since first reading this I've been scouring the house and I think mine got thrown out. :(

If you have a Value Village, Salvation Army, or some other thrift store near by, you might be able to snag a code for uber cheap. Perhaps for under $5. The neat thing is that it doesn't matter what condition the disc is in, which in some cases isn't very good, when buying from a thrift store. Another couple of stores to look for are Bishop's Attic and Good Will. Just look in the yellow pages under "thrift" or "used".

[quote name='TravistyOJ']You can also just buy a CD Key off of certain resellers. I got one for $3.90, which you just redeem on BNet.[/QUOTE]

I though of this, and didn't like the idea. Getting a disc was some sort
of assurance that the product wasn't stolen. Not saying that the
guy did so, but he could have looked at a friend's CD, copied
down the code, and then sold it to you.

Of course, he could have had a second copy around, e-mailed you the
code, and not bothered paying to have it shipped to you, seeing how it
wouldn't serve you any good.

[quote name='Pollox']The key they give you is just a download key to use with the new battle.net. There's no real advantage to it over your original key other than that you can look this new one up on your battle.net account if you forget it.

I've never heard of Brood War coming with its own separate CD-key, so unless you have some special version that does, you need the original starcraft. As jalu6 said, they've offered this download for a while now and I don't expect it to go away anytime soon. Still a good idea to register your game though.

You can't have two people with the same cd-key playing on battle.net at the same time, so I'd stay away from used copies.[/QUOTE]
I would have thought that the new key is the one that battle.net uses for online, since the old keys (at least in my case) where different digits and formats. As long as it works though...

I just looked at my Brood War again and realized that I have a hand-written key on it...my memory is not good enough to know where this came from, so you may be right about it not having a separate key.

Regarding not expecting it to go away: I was shocked that an Activision company still gives anything away for free if they don't absolutely have to. There is nothing in the original terms that suggests that you get a free download 10-12 years later on relatively current hardware. Plus, for me it means I can enjoy some StarCraft without having to buy a new $60 version (that has additional DRM and no LAN). Plus they won't support it forever...12 years of support in gaming is really a long time. And WCI and WCII (including battle.net version) are in the legacy/non-supported category.

Bottom line...it certainly may not go away, but that is probably only because Bobby Kotick doesn't know it exists.

[quote name='Wolfpup']HELL yeah! The bad thing about it is it ruins all other RTS for me. Every single one I've played since has me going "umm...this is okay, but I'd rather just play Starcraft again".

Really appealing graphics, great story, awesome units, etc. I fell in love with it back when I played the demo and found out the tanks transform :whistle2:D

Sucks about Starcraft 2 though. It sounds AWESOME, but I guess it has activation, so I won't be playing it.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by activation. Does it REQUIRE online activation for single player. I have not heard that at least for the US

[quote name='z3razerviper']What do you mean by activation. Does it REQUIRE online activation for single player. I have not heard that at least for the US[/QUOTE]
I believe SCII does require an initial activation online for single player. So not as bad as Ubisoft...doesn't bother me too much, but for those who can't get to a reliable internet connection its a big deal (like military on deployment).

Here is the quote I found:
In order to install the game, “you need to connect once to install the game,” StarCraft II lead designer Browder revealed. A player will also either have or sign up for a Battle.net account during the installation process.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I wonder if its just battle net or secruom[/QUOTE]

I've read a few articles on the subject. Nothing delineates it clearly (i.e. we won't use securom), but it sounds like homegrown battle.net protection, not securom. No copy/seat activation limits have been discussed.

BTW, thanks OP. I had no idea I could use my CD key on battle.net and I was trying to find an easy way to play this game on my netbook. Problem solved.

[quote name='bigwightdog']I believe SCII does require an initial activation online for single player. So not as bad as Ubisoft...doesn't bother me too much, but for those who can't get to a reliable internet connection its a big deal (like military on deployment).

Here is the quote I found:
In order to install the game, “you need to connect once to install the game,” StarCraft II lead designer Browder revealed. A player will also either have or sign up for a Battle.net account during the installation process.[/QUOTE]

And it makes it a rental. Starcraft is one of those games I obviously want to be able to play decades in the future too. The original hasn't gotten any less fun in 12 years...

Wow thank you OP. I got a mac a few months ago and have been debating whether or not to get a new SC to be able to play on the Mac. I'm so glad you saved me some money.

I bought a second copy for my Mac years ago :lol: Actually I think at some point they offered both versions on the same CD, but my original copy was Windows only. This was back when I used a Mac, and they were PowerPC, etc.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And it makes it a rental. Starcraft is one of those games I obviously want to be able to play decades in the future too. The original hasn't gotten any less fun in 12 years...[/QUOTE]

Same here, although admittedly I'm already bored to tears with the SC2 beta :whistle2:#

Whoa. It's probably multiplayer only though right? For me I basically just played single player, save for maybe a dozen matches with friends.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Whoa. It's probably multiplayer only though right? For me I basically just played single player, save for maybe a dozen matches with friends.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's just the multiplayer, and I'm all about competitive play so don't let me rain on your parade. It's a still a fine game, just feels a little more tame -- if that makes any sense.

I really want to play the campaigns but I just might hold out out until the entire trilogy is released.

[quote name='bigwightdog']I've read a few articles on the subject. Nothing delineates it clearly (i.e. we won't use securom), but it sounds like homegrown battle.net protection, not securom. No copy/seat activation limits have been discussed.[/QUOTE]

Home grown battle net would be more acceptable.

[quote name='Isurus']i tried entering in my old cd key and it said it was invalid. lame![/QUOTE]

Make sure you go to "Add or Upgrade a Game" and not "Item Code Redemption"

I assumed this online key activation was known but glad to see so many people tying their keys to a b.net account. I'm all about the digital movement. Shoot, if SC2 didn't want to push retail first, I would go digital all the way (plus I'm getting the CE so doesn't matter). First thing I did to my Macbook when I got it was remove the disc drive to slap in another HDD lol.

I assume SC2 guys will be able to digitally d/l the client via retail keys shortly after release instead of only way is to buy from blizzard store directly for digital d/l.

If you're having problems with the video not looking right (messed up colors),
go into the properties of their the game's executable, or the shortcut to it,
go to the "Compatibility Tab", and check the box "Run in 256 Colors".

I tried this with my copy of Warcraft 2 Battle.net Edition, and it also
works.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And it makes it a rental. Starcraft is one of those games I obviously want to be able to play decades in the future too. The original hasn't gotten any less fun in 12 years...[/QUOTE]

How would you go about renting this game? Are you renting a battle.net account from someone?

Wow! This is awesome!

My old disk had been damaged after many years of play and did not really want to purchase another copy since I play mostly on consoles these days.

This is awesome because this will make me play again!

Anyone know if the manuals are also online? (its been a very long time!)

Never mind, Blizzard has it online and google is your friend!

[quote name='GlassAgate']If you're having problems with the video not looking right (messed up colors),

works.[/QUOTE]

That fix does not always work see my above instructions for a more reliable one.

[quote name='GlassAgate']If you're having problems with the video not looking right (messed up colors),

works.[/QUOTE]
I think my colors are fine in XP SP3. Well, fine may not be the right word...they are sometimes ugly, but I think its the original color!

BTW, I saw an article on Kotaku about all the mods that have already been made with the SCII game editor...including Asteroids...uh oh, SCII is starting to tempt me again. Somebody hold me back!

Another thought based on the previous issue of whether the d/l will continue to be online or not. I was looking at Blizzard and Battle.net web sites and its real clear that they have discontinued support for the previous product shortly after releasing the sequel. For example, Diablo went away after Diablo II and WCII Battle.net went away after WCIII. I think it is VERY likely they will stop supporting (which likely means taking the download down) SCI a short period of time (2-3 months at most) after releasing SCII.

Obviously no hard evidence for this, but looking at the past pattern and how Activision/Blizzard does business, its quite likely.

[quote name='bigwightdog']BTW, I saw an article on Kotaku about all the mods that have already been made with the SCII game editor...including Asteroids...uh oh, SCII is starting to tempt me again. Somebody hold me back![/QUOTE]

That's what finally pushed me over the edge to make the purchase. I was originally planning on waiting, but I saw that article, and dell sold SCII for $45 yesterday morning, and I just couldn't pass it up.

I just found my old Starcraft and Diablo II games in a BAWLS box I keep most of old pc jewel cases inside. It was promoting the old ps2 game RLH or Run Like Hell "Grab your BAWLS and run like hell!". Created a new battle.net account and added Starcraft and Diablo II thanks op!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigwightdog']I think my colors are fine in XP SP3. Well, fine may not be the right word...they are sometimes ugly, but I think its the original color!

BTW, I saw an article on Kotaku about all the mods that have already been made with the SCII game editor...including Asteroids...uh oh, SCII is starting to tempt me again. Somebody hold me back!

Another thought based on the previous issue of whether the d/l will continue to be online or not. I was looking at Blizzard and Battle.net web sites and its real clear that they have discontinued support for the previous product shortly after releasing the sequel. For example, Diablo went away after Diablo II and WCII Battle.net went away after WCIII. I think it is VERY likely they will stop supporting (which likely means taking the download down) SCI a short period of time (2-3 months at most) after releasing SCII.

Obviously no hard evidence for this, but looking at the past pattern and how Activision/Blizzard does business, its quite likely.[/QUOTE]

On windows 7 you get a screen full of flashing pixles if you dont use the reg fix. and as far as blizzard support goes it is with the exception of valve the BEST in the business. you can still play diablo 1 on battle net and they regularly release patches for all of their games.

Does anyone else have the problem of starcraft locking up at various times. Where you have to physically reboot your computer. My computer is doing this and I searched about it. And some people are saying its a direct draw problem with windows 7. I've tried compatibility mode and it fixed the colors. I've also tried the batch mode fix where it shuts down explorer.

But it still locks up at random intervals. Anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour. And I have a decent computer phenom 9600, 4gb ram, radeon 3870 video card. And all drivers are updated. Any help would be appreciated.

Does the battlechest come with both brood war and starcraft keys? So I could make an extra battle.net account, put 1 key on my account and put the other key on the new account and have the whole deal on both accounts? If so I'm in, then I can just let a friend use the other account when they want to play against me.

bread's done
Back