XBLA - Mega Man Universe - Cancelled. God, why?!

Noticed this over at trueachievements yesterday. I'm curious as to how all this will work, but I'm on the edge of an orgasm here, no doubt.

To me, it looks to be a remake of Wily Wars given the nature of the enemies shown in the trailer. But the trailer leaves me scratching my head more than anything.

Yeah, so confused. But pretty sure it's going to be awesome.

Oh, and Box Art Man (can't think of a better name and it sure as hell isn't Mega Man :) ) at the end from the cover of Mega Man 1 is maybe the best fan-service joke ever.

[quote name='KingBroly']To me, it looks to be a remake of Wily Wars given the nature of the enemies shown in the trailer. But the trailer leaves me scratching my head more than anything.[/QUOTE]

Come on now. Wily Wars sure doesn't let you play as Capcom characters.

[quote name='eastx']Come on now. Wily Wars sure doesn't let you play as Capcom characters.[/QUOTE]

All I'm saying is prepare to be disappointed. Besides, the implication given is that you're STILL Mega Man despite looking like Ryu and Arthur and whoever they decide to pull out of the woodwork.

The claymation of the trailer really reminds me of The PJs. I wonder if its the same company.

As for the game itself, I'm expecting either a Power Stone clone or a Smash Bros lookalike. Looking forward to some gameplay before I'm sold on it - trailers that show none of that are such a letdown.

Nice nod to the MM1 boxart.

Also, the other day I had a thought - there should be a Megaman game that has all the bosses from, say, 1-10. Then you could fight all the bosses with different weapons, and there'd be new combinations of weaknesses. Perhaps even some bosses, over time, get bored of waiting for you, so they team up with other bosses that you haven't fought, making for even crazier boss battles.

Actually this is a good fucking idea. Someone make it.

If it was some sort of smash bros type game with different Capcom characters I wouldn't think they'd call it Megaman anything. I remember that Megaman arcade fighting game from years back, that was pretty fun, something like that would be cool, but Ryu and Arthur don't fit in a strict Megaman game.

Well the trailer has me very excited. I really hope this game turns out to be as cool as that teaser trailer is.

AUGMENTED REALITY! AUGMENTED REALITY! GET YOUR MOTHERfuckING AUGMENTED REALITY READY!!!

And make it not suck.

[quote name='Strell']
Also, the other day I had a thought - there should be a Megaman game that has all the bosses from, say, 1-10. Then you could fight all the bosses with different weapons, and there'd be new combinations of weaknesses. Perhaps even some bosses, over time, get bored of waiting for you, so they team up with other bosses that you haven't fought, making for even crazier boss battles.

Actually this is a good fucking idea. Someone make it.[/QUOTE]

Let's take this a step further and let some bosses that are compatible combine to make more powerful bosses.

[quote name='gden']let's take this a step further and let some bosses that are compatible combine to make more powerful bosses.[/quote]

FUND IT. gg

[quote name='Gden']Let's take this a step further and let some bosses that are compatible combine to make more powerful bosses.[/QUOTE]

That's too simple. Bosses that have compatible personalities should hook up and make babies together! The babies have like a 1/4 chance of getting recessive boss traits, and there's a 1/8 chance that they'll have twins. Also the babies can grow up and date other babies, but not their siblings, otherwise they have mutant offspring that Mega Man can just beat with the pea shooter.

It's called Mega Man Universe, yet it has heroes from other Capcom games and none of their enemies. It may have a diferent art style based on the trailer which is fine but being that it is going to be a download I doubt they will reinvent the franchise. Maybe something like that modded Mario game that let you play as other Nintendo era characters in Super Mario Bros.?

Creator Keiji Inafune says, "This game will break the mold and challenge the conventional wisdom of what a Mega Man game can be."

Then again I hope they don't put Mega Man into a genre which doesn't suit him a la Castlevania Judgement. I'm guessing this won't be a side scroller :(

[quote name='timesplitt']youtube is acting up for me.. (half vids keep loading).

what the genre of this game?[/QUOTE]

Given that it's a Mega Man game, it's either a Platformer, or an RPG.

Ryu is a 16-bit character (though Arthur did appear on the NES), so I am expecting maybe some cheap 3D graphics.

[quote name='KingBroly']Given that it's a Mega Man game, it's either a Platformer, or an RPG.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Mega Man Soccer and Racing.

[quote name='elwood731']Don't forget Mega Man Soccer and Racing.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to Mega Slap you for making me remember that Racing game.

The gameplay looks pretty cool! I just hope they have some sort of "easy" mode like they did in Mega Man 10 and not just a "soul crushing" mode.

I wasn't impressed by this trailer. Megaman needs a revamp, every other oldschool sidescroller is doing 3D/innovative stuff. Capcom needs to get going on a different tip.

[quote name='jaredstorm']I wasn't impressed by this trailer. Megaman needs a revamp, every other oldschool sidescroller is doing 3D/innovative stuff. Capcom needs to get going on a different tip.[/QUOTE]

Considering that Mega Man 9 and 10 were big hits, I don't think switching to full 3D would be the best idea for the series. Particularly not a downloadable title.

Looks like Mega Man Powered Up, you got to play as different characters in that also. Just this will branch out into more characters. Looks cool, levels are looking huge.

Gameplay looks solid and that's what counts. I like the retro levels redone. Only dislike is Mega Man's Sprite, but I'm sure there will be more options.

[quote name='jaredstorm']I wasn't impressed by this trailer. Megaman needs a revamp, every other oldschool sidescroller is doing 3D/innovative stuff. Capcom needs to get going on a different tip.[/QUOTE]

That's what they said during the 32/64 bit generation and it pretty much only worked out for Mario.

I don't really understand the need to have different megaman/rockman sprites, but the bad box art sprite is neat.

[quote name='eastx']Considering that Mega Man 9 and 10 were big hits, I don't think switching to full 3D would be the best idea for the series. Particularly not a downloadable title.[/QUOTE]

but a lot of people are dying for mega man legends 3

Oh,hey it's Super Mario Crossover but in MegaMan's Universe with Capcom characters and itll probably be $15.

[quote name='aihuman']Oh,hey it's Super Mario Crossover but in MegaMan's Universe with Capcom characters and itll probably be $15.[/QUOTE]
can't afford 15$ bro?

We don't know a whole lot about it yet, but obviously it already has a lot of stuff that Mega Man fans will enjoy.

That dude does not look old enough to have created Mega Man back in... 1987 was it? The Asian blessing I suppose.

I knew it! Inafune played the fan made and excellent Super Mario Bros Crossover. I bet he liked the concept so much, that he convinced Capcom to do one of their own.

[quote name='Halo05']That dude does not look old enough to have created Mega Man back in... 1987 was it? The Asian blessing I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Hideo Kojima still looks like he's in high school too.

bread's done
Back