The Inception Movie Thread-New Nolan Movie

Spelling error, a double-post and posting something somewhat spoilery.

Good work, stupid.

The ending isn't up for debate -
It was reality. In the dreams, his totem spun perfectly, never tilting. At the end, his totem wobbled.

There are two questions that I did have that I may have missed the answers to:

Why didn't the loss of gravity affect the deeper layers of the dream?

Also, at any point in the movie, did Leo's character ever spin the top in reality which resulted in it tipping over?

[quote name='Scorch']The ending isn't up for debate -
It was reality. In the dreams, his totem spun perfectly, never tilting. At the end, his totem wobbled.
[/QUOTE]
I think you missed the point there.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']There are two questions that I did have that I may have missed the answers to:

Why didn't the loss of gravity affect the deeper layers of the dream?

Also, at any point in the movie, did Leo's character ever spin the top in reality which resulted in it tipping over?

I think you missed the point there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, in that one scene when he spun it by the sink and it fell on the ground. Forgot what which dream he just jumped out of but that was at least one time.

[quote name='bobo2k4']
Yeah, in that one scene when he spun it by the sink and it fell on the ground. Forgot what which dream he just jumped out of but that was at least one time.
[/QUOTE]
That's the scene I was thinking of, except I don't think he actually spun it. He fumbled with it and it fell.

[quote name='Brak']Spelling error, a double-post and posting something somewhat spoilery.

Good work, stupid.[/QUOTE]

you are quite welcome, ass.. and i did not spell it wrong, opterasis misspelled it

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']I was wondering why the zero gravity didn't affect the deeper layers as well, I'm not going to nitpick though, it was an amazing film.[/QUOTE]

I think it has to do with the deeper levels of sleep, such as if you are just lightly sleeping you can sometimes make out sounds (t.v. etc.) around.

[quote name='billyrox']you are quite welcome, ass.. and i did not spell it wrong, opterasis misspelled it[/QUOTE]
He was pointing out your error. :lol: You know. The spelling error in the thread title you edited after he pointed it out.

[quote name='Brak']He was pointing out your error. :lol: You know. The spelling error in the thread title you edited after he pointed it out.[/QUOTE]

umm no, i never edited the thread title... he was just misquote on his own

Great movie.

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']I was wondering why the zero gravity didn't affect the deeper layers as well, I'm not going to nitpick though, it was an amazing film.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that time slows down as you get deeper into each level, so the affects of zero gravity of level 1 was probably nullified by the time it reached level 3.

[quote name='Scorch']The ending isn't up for debate -
[/QUOTE]

^This.

I edited the thread title earlier today. It bothers me when shit is misspelled.

I believe it was titled "INecption."

[quote name='Trakan']I edited the thread title earlier today. It bothers me when shit is misspelled.

I believe it was titled "INecption."[/QUOTE]

ahh.. okay well, my bad. my apologies

[quote name='Ugamer_X']
That's the scene I was thinking of, except I don't think he actually spun it. He fumbled with it and it fell.
[/QUOTE]

It topples when he spins it for Ariadne.

[quote name='Dendaman']Great movie.

Keep in mind that time slows down as you get deeper into each level, so the affects of zero gravity of level 1 was probably nullified by the time it reached level 3.
[/QUOTE]

That makes a lot of sense, however, upon a second viewing, you can see that the avalanche seems to have been affect by a higher level's disturbance.

Anybody know the name of the song in the movie with big blaring horns/violins (or whatever they are)?

this song:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z75o-F6ja2I&feature=related[/media]

Ok...I'm pretty sure that
The wobble and then sound of it falling after is definitely making in an ambiguous ending. While I can admit i can't rememeber the exact times he spun it in reality, it is NOT supposed to stop spinning. When Saito spins it in Limbo, he is struggling with reality at that point. While I believe he is def. dreaming since you hear the top fail after it cuts away, it is still supposed to create doubt. Nolan specifically cuts to the top spinning then wobbling, and then a score change to surprise us. My take.

Also, why are we spoilering when the thread is based on a movie that is out?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Anybody know the name of the song in the movie with big blaring horns/violins (or whatever they are)?

this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z75o-F6ja2I&feature=related[/QUOTE]

It's actually "Mind Heist" by Zack Hemsey and isn't featured on the soundtrack since the score was done by Hans Zimmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJqicM6x84

Also, don't use [*media] tags anymore. There's no need for tags anymore, just paste the Youtube link in there. If you use Media tags and someone quotes you and tries to link another video (like right now), it screws the whole post completely up since you can't use more than one [*media] tag.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Ok...I'm pretty sure that
The wobble and then sound of it falling after is definitely making in an ambiguous ending. While I can admit i can't rememeber the exact times he spun it in reality, it is NOT supposed to stop spinning. When Saito spins it in Limbo, he is struggling with reality at that point. While I believe he is def. dreaming since you hear the top fail after it cuts away, it is still supposed to create doubt. Nolan specifically cuts to the top spinning then wobbling, and then a score change to surprise us. My take.

Also, why are we spoilering when the thread is based on a movie that is out?[/QUOTE]

Don't you have it backwards? It spins indefinitely it in the dream, when Cobb spins it. It topples in reality.

Because of that one guy who's going to complain if we don't.

It's currently #3 on IMDB's top 250 of all time. New movies usually do spike when the come out and fall gradually, so we'll see how long it stays up there.

whoa... That was a long as movie...but worth it.
The first 30-40 some minutes were slow and almost put me to sleep but things got interesting. I *Might* see it again and pay more attention to details.

[quote name='Scorch']I honestly think that I'm more excited to see it a second time than I was the first time.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. Not a single movie for 2 years has had me as captivated as I was for Inception. Much like The Dark Knight I can't wait to see it again. There's very few movies I can say that about these days.

Also, similar to The Dark Knight despite my insanely high expectations for the movie, it still managed to blow those expecations away.

Christopher Nolan only releases a movie every 2 years or so but if they keep up this level of quality, imagination, creativity, and captivating style I'm more than happy to wait another 2 years for his next movie (which looks to be Batman 3).

Quality, that's the best adjective I can use to describe this movie and Nolan's work in general. The guy just simply doesn't cut corners in his movies.

Fantastic movie (total mind fuck). I saw it friday night, couldn't help but feel that a second viewing was required (which I'm totally excited about, too bad it'll have to wait until after the NY BAR).

Nolan is pure genius. I have yet to see a movie of his which I didn't enjoy. IMO he's on the same level as Fincher, Anderson and Aronofsky.

On a slight tangent, what did people think of The Town??

Last edited by a moderator:
The Town looks pretty good, even with Ben Affleck on screen (he's definitely a better director than an actor!), but throw in Jon Hamm and Jeremy Renner with some Mann/Scorsese-ish antics and you got yourself a deal.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Ok...I'm pretty sure that

Also, why are we spoilering when the thread is based on a movie that is out?[/QUOTE]

I agree. In the dreams, it spins indefinitely, or at least it's supposed to according to spoken dialog. Cobb also spins it once or twice in definitive reality where it falls. Of course, there's also the totem aspect of it. They make special mention to say that no one else is allowed to touch it. Since no one else knows it's specific weight, the angles, etc etc, that make it unique then they know it's theirs...it's "real".

From what I recall, two other people have touched this totem. It was his wife's, but we only see it in her locked box in limbo. Also, when he goes to save Saito...old Saito's men bring it to him and he spins it. Now, if this was indeed the same top as his late wife's, she has touched it but she's dead so I'd think that's moot. She also dominates his subconscious though, who knows how much power that lends. Also, old Saito touches it, but only in limbo. Does this affect the totem?

It definitely feels like a purposeful ambiguous ending. If Nolan wanted to push it being a dream, he could have cut the scene before any doubt enters the mind. Or he could have shown it fall. The first sound of a wobble is meant to send the viewer out reviewing the movie and heck, even their view of reality. This could all be a dream after all...it definitely feels real. Ending this type of a movie with a definitive statement on that issue would feel cheap and "Hollywood happy", where you don't have to think too much.

My favorite film of his is still Memento, but this is neck and neck with The Dark Knight for 2nd.

Great great great movie. But a few questions I have:
Why was Saito extremely old in Limbo and Cobbs was not? And why did Cobbs get washed onto the beach?

Also, who woke them all up at the very end? The flight attendant? Didn't they have to be kicked out of their first dream state or did that drug they took last only 10 hours? I think that's what they said...

If its a dream, why do his children look the exact same? Why have they not aged? Why do they wear the same clothes as they do in his dream? Why does Cobb not wake up from the second dream sequence? I think Cobb is still stuck in Limbo.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Great great great movie. But a few questions I have:
Why was Saito extremely old in Limbo and Cobbs was not? And why did Cobbs get washed onto the beach? [/quote]

They explained that in the third (fourth?) level, a few minutes in real time is years in dream time, so Saito had aged significantly. Cobb had arrived after Saito, so he had not aged yet. The beach I think they said was the starting point of the subconscious. It was the same when Leo and Ellen Page went into Leo's subconscious. Er...or something.

[quote name='dinovelvet'][/spoiler]

They explained that in the third (fourth?) level, a few minutes in real time is years in dream time, so Saito had aged significantly. Cobb had arrived after Saito, so he had not aged yet. The beach I think they said was the starting point of the subconscious. It was the same when Leo and Ellen Page went into Leo's subconscious. Er...or something.
[/QUOTE]

This...at first I thought it was very old leo talking to his younger self but then I realized it was saito...

I wished they explained the technology better. All I remembered seeing was that main device in the case, a few wire attached to the wrist and that was it? weird

The biggest question I have though:
Why am I a Nolan fanboy for liking this movie?

I didn't even know the guy made the Dark Knight until I saw it on a poster... and I'm not the hugest fan of the Dark Knight... but anyone that hated the movie says you have to be a fanboy to like it.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']
I agree. In the dreams, it spins indefinitely, or at least it's supposed to according to spoken dialog. Cobb also spins it once or twice in definitive reality where it falls. Of course, there's also the totem aspect of it. They make special mention to say that no one else is allowed to touch it. Since no one else knows it's specific weight, the angles, etc etc, that make it unique then they know it's theirs...it's "real".

From what I recall, two other people have touched this totem. It was his wife's, but we only see it in her locked box in limbo. Also, when he goes to save Saito...old Saito's men bring it to him and he spins it. Now, if this was indeed the same top as his late wife's, she has touched it but she's dead so I'd think that's moot. She also dominates his subconscious though, who knows how much power that lends. Also, old Saito touches it, but only in limbo. Does this affect the totem?

It definitely feels like a purposeful ambiguous ending. If Nolan wanted to push it being a dream, he could have cut the scene before any doubt enters the mind. Or he could have shown it fall. The first sound of a wobble is meant to send the viewer out reviewing the movie and heck, even their view of reality. This could all be a dream after all...it definitely feels real. Ending this type of a movie with a definitive statement on that issue would feel cheap and "Hollywood happy", where you don't have to think too much.

My favorite film of his is still Memento, but this is neck and neck with The Dark Knight for 2nd.[/QUOTE]

The whole point of no one else being able to touch your totem is that if you're ever in a dream they're "architecting" then their mind won't know the specifics in order to recreate it. Since Saito's men were just projections, them touching it meant nothing. The only other real person we can surmise that touched Cobb's totem would be Cobb's wife, who is dead and obviously not a worry about being an architect.

Fun facts for Nolan:
His first two films Following and Memento each have an instance of a Batman symbol showing up.
One of the main characters in Following is named Cobb.

When this comes out on DVD/Blu Ray I wonder if there will be any director commentary that answers some of these questions, or if he will leave it open to interpretation.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']

Fun facts for Nolan:
His first two films Following and Memento each have an instance of a Batman symbol showing up.
One of the main characters in Following is named Cobb.[/QUOTE]
When?? That's pretty interesting

ahhhh here

[quote name='SLeeK719']When this comes out on DVD/Blu Ray I wonder if there will be any director commentary that answers some of these questions, or if he will leave it open to interpretation.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I think he's going to leave it up to interpretation. The story has potential to continue in a sequel... if there is a sequel, and he answers all the questions about the ending in the commentary, I think it *might* affect the sequel (the way people view the sequel...those who listen to that commentary anyways). Sometimes it's best to not tell the audience everything and let them figure it out. Let them think for themselves. Everyone had a WTF look at the end scene, then clapped. Some teen bitches thought it would be a good idea for this to be a tv series....uh ok..........whatever. :roll:

This is the first time I've really wanted to see a movie twice in a row when it's still in theaters... I'm probably going to go see it again tomorrow.

seen it today. was pretty good but dont understand the
whole thing with his wife being trapped in the his dream. i mean isnt she dead?

[quote name='wwe101']seen it today. was pretty good but dont understand the
whole thing with his wife being trapped in the his dream. i mean isnt she dead?
[/QUOTE]

She manifested as the strongest part of his subconscious because he he felt such guilt from causing her death.
in a nutshell.

bread's done
Back