AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

crunchb3rry

CAGiversary!
Did a search and couldn't find the old WD thread here, so I figure I'd just post this, the fist cast photo from AMC's Walking Dead.

500x_walking_dead-1.jpg

Can't wait for this fall. Hope the first episode is double length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cast looks great! doesn't seem like any stars which I prefer for this type of thing.
Oh wait the female in purple is Dr...kellerman? no, thats the other guy (prison break).
Also glad to see they didn't change the race of the asian guy. anyways, this is the biggest thing for me on TV since dexter. Man! i can NOT wait for this!

I read almost all of what they have of the walking dead for HOURS while listening to midnight syndicate. that was a crazy experience.

Yeah, Rick's wife is the doc from Prison Break.

I'm not a huge fan of the comics, Kirkman kinda has awkward dialog and Adlard being replaced by Moore sucked. But the plot elements should make for some cool TV. I do predict a lot of backlash from newbie viewers though because there can be some long stints between man vs. zombie action. It'll be more like Day of the Dead than Night of the Living Dead.

They made Andrea too old, that's my only complaint.

Holy Crap! I didn't even know they were making a walking dead show. Let's just hope they stick to the story as close as possible.

the kids too old. those bits with him dealing with the zombie world wont have the same impact which sucks because those are some of the more powerful bits of the series. the kids an ice cold killer but he has to be to survive.

The kid's a little too old, yes, but I think a younger actor wouldn't have the ability to act correctly for the scenario as a kid of the appropriate age. I think they just made Andrea older so it wouldn't offend viewers to see a teenage girl shacking up with an old man. Which is a shame, because AMC (with Breaking Bad) really comes close to pushing the envelope into that territory HBO made its name with. Like Game of Thrones...which would NOT work on any other channel, which makes me glad HBO picked that up because it probably would have stalled and died if they had to shop it around further.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that Adlard replaced Moore since the first TBP. Adlard's art is pretty much ten times better anyways.

I would like to have hopes for this series, but that does not resemble Rick Grimes in any way. Nor is Carl that tall. I could be nitpicking here but it's going to be tough to do the amazing comic justice. I'll watch it, though.

[quote name='GhostShark']Uh, I'm pretty sure that Adlard replaced Moore since the first TBP. Adlard's art is pretty much ten times better anyways.[/QUOTE]

You're correct that Moore stopped at the first trade but you're wrong when it comes to Adlard having better artwork. I really think that Tony Moore is one of the best comic artists in the industry these days (and I've read a lot of dumb books just because he did the art for it). Not to say that Adlard's art is horrible, I just think that it wasn't very good at first and has gradually improved over the course of his run.

Alright, now we're talkin'

Whoa, looked it up on IMDB. Frank Darabont is the creater?!? Now I'm officially excited.

[quote name='Maklershed']Can. Not. Wait. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
x 2.

Edit: Anyone here own all the currently available issues? I read the first three volumes (borrowed from a co-worker) and loved them, but I'm looking to collect them all myself.

What would be the best way to go about it? Paperbacks? 12 issue hardcovers? Omnibus? Or does it not really matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I collect the hardcovers. They're nice books. Only thing is they tend to fall behind the TPBs because you have to wait longer for them.

[quote name='Fjordson']
What would be the best way to go about it? Paperbacks? 12 issue hardcovers? Omnibus? Or does it not really matter?[/QUOTE]

The hardcovers contain 2 paperbacks and run the same price as two paperbacks on amazon so I just buy the hardcovers. Not much difference between the hardcovers and the trades except slightly bigger pages/art and the hardcovers contain all of the covers from the 12 comics it collects and the trades don't.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The kid's a little too old, yes, but I think a younger actor wouldn't have the ability to act correctly for the scenario as a kid of the appropriate age. I think they just made Andrea older so it wouldn't offend viewers to see a teenage girl shacking up with an old man. Which is a shame, because AMC (with Breaking Bad) really comes close to pushing the envelope into that territory HBO made its name with. Like Game of Thrones...which would NOT work on any other channel, which makes me glad HBO picked that up because it probably would have stalled and died if they had to shop it around further.[/QUOTE]

youd be surprised how many young actors can pull stuff off. hell if carl was actually a girl in the book i bet dakota fanning as a kid could do it justice. and now since hes older he probably wont be rockin the cowboy hat lol. sucks about andrea too but im still curious who will be playing michione.

i reckon they wont get to that bit of the story till next season but minor gripes aside im watching it regardless since when the fuck has there every been a full fledged zombie series on tv? damn shame hbo or showtime didnt jump on doing this though because i wonder how much they will be able to pull off on tv.

^ I think that's why AMC chose this series though. To kinda push the envelope further, using a theme where only an idiot would call in and complain about violence or profanity. I just hope AMC evolves to "F-Bomb level." Or, ideally, to make the show with a hard R and just edit it for TV, making the box set of extra value because it's uncensored.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']The hardcovers contain 2 paperbacks and run the same price as two paperbacks on amazon so I just buy the hardcovers. Not much difference between the hardcovers and the trades except slightly bigger pages/art and the hardcovers contain all of the covers from the 12 comics it collects and the trades don't.[/QUOTE]

Actually, as an extra bonus, they also collect the trade covers, lol. So for a collector, the HCs are the way to go. They're very nice books. All matching, so they look great on the shelf. Plus they will have some serious value, considering I had to search like crazy just to find book 1 new. I think it's already out of print.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']^ I think that's why AMC chose this series though. To kinda push the envelope further, using a theme where only an idiot would call in and complain about violence or profanity. I just hope AMC evolves to "F-Bomb level." Or, ideally, to make the show with a hard R and just edit it for TV, making the box set of extra value because it's uncensored.[/QUOTE]

yeah you dont need alot of fboms but considering the situation its going to be odd that they dont use it. as long as the gore is there and he actors dont try to put their own spins on the characters it should be ok.

I've been reading Walking Dead since 2005 / 2006 and I can not wait for this series. From what I've read online it will stay very true to the source material, in both story and the level of gore.

I agree with crunchb3rry, they should just definitely make some sort of "unrated" version for the DVD / BRD market. The show might not get the best rating out of the gate, but I could see the box sets selling like hot cakes.

I'm not 100% on any unrated versions though. I saw Breaking Bad on Blu-Ray, so I'd need someone who has seen both DVD/Blu AND the aired episodes to confirm or deny if any extra profanity, etc. was in that. If not, I wouldn't expect AMC to film anything extra for a home release. Interviews are implying that the show's crew are pretty much complying with any limits in regard to the Shaq-Fu.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Actually, as an extra bonus, they also collect the trade covers, lol. So for a collector, the HCs are the way to go. They're very nice books. All matching, so they look great on the shelf. Plus they will have some serious value, considering I had to search like crazy just to find book 1 new. I think it's already out of print.[/QUOTE]
Cool. Thanks for the tip.

You said they were out of print possibly, but is this the same edition you're talking about http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Th...81582406190/?itm=1&USRI=walking+dead+book+one?

Yeah, that's it. Wow, maybe the series got it back into print. That's a great price, I'd jump on that. I think I paid damn near $40 for mine.

Ugh. Yet another downside with no vulgar. That's going to kill some characters there. Like Michonne or the Governor if they get that far. At least I will still have the amazing comics.

now that i think about it another reason they may have gone with an older carl is the bit where he kills that kid who killed his brother. if they had a proper aged kid doing that you know people would have flipped out.

heres a link to the trailer for the walking dead the showed at comicon. i dunno how long itll stay up so watch it while you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiI6YRfWIY&feature=player_embedded

also heres some new info about what theyre doing with it.

One of the major flaws with the San Diego Comic-Con is typically the studios don't let the talent reveal much about their projects, while the fans always end up asking the most idiotic questions imaginable). AMC's panel for their The Walking Dead TV series was not only the best of the Con, but it was just jammed with information including a tease of a possible black & white home video release, and the idea by Darabont that zombie genre creator George A Romero might get behind the camera for an episode in season two (confirmed as greenlit by the way)! Get the skinny inside.

Here's the breakdown:

-According to Frank Darabont "The Walking Dead" will have a worldwide simultaneous release in over thirty languages.

-Artist Charlie Adlard cameos as a zombie.

-Darabont says that they will take every interesting detour that they find but will still stay true to the storyline of the comic.

-They're expanding the world and the events during the journey, and Kirkman says he's blown away by the areas that they're improving on.

-Bear McCreary ("Battlestar Galactica") has been confirmed as the show's composer.

-Norman Reedus has joined the cast.

-When asked why he didn't shoot in Los Angeles, Darabont said, "When LA gets its shit together and gives filmmakers tax incentives," he'll think about it.

-FX artist Greg Nicotero said that AMC hasn't objected to any of the show's violence. In fact, the reel that they showed here at Comic-Con was edited because the powers that be would not let them show any of the gore. There will be lots of Romero-esque headshots.

-Darabont says he cannot wait to get to Michonne and Tyrese in Season Two, which has been confirmed and is a go.

-When asked if any well known horror directors might one day come on board, Darabont hinted that he wants Romero to possibly direct in the future.

-Darabont says that he wants a black and white version to be released on DVD similar to his release of The Mist.

FOOTAGE DESCRIPTION!

"The trailer opened with a police blockade and amazing high speed chase and shootout that sees Rick wounded. Cut to Rick waking up in hospital and discovering it empty with rows of corpses lying outside.

Lots of zombie action shots with Rick freaking out as he holds his gun towards an approaching zombie little girl. Rick facing off with Michael Rooker saying he's looking for his family and nothing will get in his way. Shots of Rick riding through barren Atlanta and encountering zombie hordes. Rick under a tank blasting zombies. He climbs in a tank, and we see aerial shot of hundreds of zombies piling on the tank."

Also:

AMC announced today that they have signed on Michael Rooker (Jumper) and Norman Reedus (The Boondock Saints) to co-star in the upcoming series The Walking Dead. The two actors will play Merle Dixon (Rooker) and Daryl Dixon (Reedus) -- a redneck ex-con and his equally dangerous brother. Based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics, AMC's The Walking Dead is currently in production in Atlanta, GA, and is scheduled to premiere this October during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. Additional new cast members of The Walking Dead include Andrew Rothenberg (Jim), Juan Pareja (Morales), Iron E. Singleton (T-Dog), Jeryl Prescott Sales (Jacqui), Melissa McBride (Carol) and Adam Minarovich (Ed); all of whom are members of the "survivor's camp."

Awesome trailer, gave me goosebumps. Nice to hear that was actually a heavily edited trailer.

I'm confused though, excellent news that the second season has already been approved, but is the first season really only going to be 6 episodes?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Awesome trailer, gave me goosebumps. Nice to hear that was actually a heavily edited trailer.

I'm confused though, excellent news that the second season has already been approved, but is the first season really only going to be 6 episodes?[/QUOTE]

that could work if each episode is like 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. they may be playing it safe to see how people respond to it but as hungry for something new as zombie fans are i dont see this not going through the roof ratings wise.

[quote name='GhostShark']Ugh. Yet another downside with no vulgar. That's going to kill some characters there. Like Michonne or the Governor if they get that far. At least I will still have the amazing comics.[/QUOTE]
Rawr! I can only express aggression and vulgarity through curse words! Rawr!

AMC did this before though with Breaking Bad. A really short "test season" and then renewal almost immediately. I wish they'd have more courage with the shows they want to premiere and just give them full initial seasons.

[quote name='lokizz']that could work if each episode is like 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. they may be playing it safe to see how people respond to it but as hungry for something new as zombie fans are i dont see this not going through the roof ratings wise.[/QUOTE]

They did the same thing with Breaking Bad though. A short test season, then almost instant renewal for a full(er) second season. AMC just doesn't have a lot of courage when pulling the trigger. Which makes no sense to me, since they have kinda become a real threat to the likes of HBO, Showtime, etc.

[quote name='Brak']Rawr! I can only express aggression and vulgarity through curse words! Rawr![/QUOTE]

Shit yeah, fuckin'-A! To be fair though, this series is loaded with scenes that can only be expressed through profanity. Like almost the entire stay at the farm, especially after finding out about "the barn."

I really hope the premiere is like 2 hours or something like that. I'd hate to have to sacrifice a movie on my annual marathon list just for a one hour episode that will feel more like a teaser than a Halloween experience for the ages.

OK I currently only have cable internet. What's my best option to watch TWD on my TV/xbox/ps3/PC? Can I. Get away with not paying for a cable package for one show? (Well I guess top chef and lifetime for gf).

CAGs weigh in your opinions!

[quote name='ChernobylCow']OK I currently only have cable internet. What's my best option to watch TWD on my TV/xbox/ps3/PC? Can I. Get away with not paying for a cable package for one show? (Well I guess top chef and lifetime for gf).

CAGs weigh in your opinions![/QUOTE]

dl it off the internet. there are alot of places that host popular show episode you can either watch them streaming or dowload it. takes some time but its worth it to not deal with commercials.

but if this series is quality enough i plan on buying it either in dl format or on bluray.gtta support good zombie stuff.

bread's done
Back