New CAG Mobile Style - Beta is Live!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Super Programmer John has put together a new mobile style, which is still very much a work in progress.
First, a few notes:

• It's currently forums only, but most major areas of the site will be getting mobile support in this format
  • You currently have to click this link to activate the style on your mobile device, auto-detection is coming
  • We are currently using standard iWebKit colors, but an option for a CAG color scheme is coming

If you activated the mobile style on your regular computer, you can get back to the normal style by clicking here.

We are looking for your feedback so please let us know how we can improve upon it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it's just my phone (BlackBerry), but I can't see the poster's name. I see their avatar, custom tag and online indicator. Looks like it might be set to the same color as the background (white).

4811591989_b0f89d58e4.jpg

It would be nice to easily see which threads are stickied. Right now it's kind of hard to differentiate them from regular threads.

4812216188_622025e694.jpg

I don't know what's going on with the buttons, but I can't post. This is all I see at the end of a thread.

4811592019_78119cd993.jpg

Looking good on a HTC Incredible running Android. Can't wait to see the finished product.

---edit---
Would it be possible to add a reply button to the bottom of the thread, had to scroll all the way to the top to find the reply button, this may be an issue on longer posts.

Looking good so far on the iPhone. I noticed in a couple threads that are using the Prices BBCode that the console and $ images don't load up correctly, but I'm pretty sure it does the same thing on the iPhone format as well.

I agree with the above comment about having a reply box at the bottom of the page. Also, would like having the ability to go to the last comment of a thread. Would not have to go to the first page and then click again to go to the last. The other mobile format has the last comment as a link. Anxious to see this one in a different color scheme. Keep up the good work.

- can't see the box to reply on my phone, had to instinctively guess and click above the post button
- i see name, page, prev/next, quote buttons all in white with shadow around them only (on a white background)
- no navigational links on page to go to main page or subscriptions, etc
- to get to last page of a thread, you have to enter a page number, which takes a few screens

Otherwise, it looks good to me on a droid x

Is this an upgraded version of the current mobile site I can use on my iPod touch? I like the color scheme you had on that. The layout was really nice.

[quote name='willc23']Cannot open new, separate page by holding down on thread title. In other words no tabbed browsing.

iPhone 3G, OS4[/QUOTE]

Works in opera mini =P

A couple of things:

- It was made to run on WebKit browsers (e.g. iPhone, Android). Results may vary on other browsers.
- The webOS browser (e.g. on the Palm Pre) is WebKit based, but seems to be having some weird issues. I'll try and find a way to emulate that browser so I can test it.

[quote name='notwen']
Would it be possible to add a reply button to the bottom of the thread, had to scroll all the way to the top to find the reply button, this may be an issue on longer posts.[/QUOTE]

Done!

Would it be possible to squeeze in a 'First' & 'Last' beside the 'Next' & 'Previous' page links?

[first] [prev] [next] [last]

Looks good on HTC My Touch Slide. I second adding a first/ last button if possible. Also, posting is a bit odd at first since the text box is the same color as the background.

Still great job John

Awesome, very appreciated and a long time coming.

Only suggestion is to see the inbox but anyways keep up the good work.

looks great, using a moto droid with android 2.2.
this may be asking for too much, but would it be possible to have a quick reply box at the bottom of each page in a thread?

I know some of these things have been mentioned before, but I'll just reiterate for the full effect:

• New style looks great, but will you update the iWebkit version if it gets updated to fully support iPhone 4's resolution? Some of the icons are pixelated
  • CAG style'd theme would be nice, but not necessary
  • No easy way to access newest posts or end of thread. Older iPhone theme does support this. Right now you have to go through several steps: (Thread > End of Page > Last Page Number)
  • Is the dot the visual indicator of read/unread threads? There's no indication of such.

As far as viewing threads, the newer theme is definitely the most visual pleasing and easy to read. Howerver the older iPhone theme wins out slightly in overall usability. If some of these things get touched on, I'll definitely switch to the new theme. Thanks for all the work John!

Still curious if you would be able to add a first/last page option along side the next page option when viewing threads. Would be quicker than hitting Page 1-X and having to manually enter the # of the page.

What happened to this? It was perfect, now its a cluster F, I really liked it, it made using the forums on my HTC Incredible painless. Did you deactivate it or did something mess up with my phone?

Edit: after about an hour it seems to back to normal, crisis averted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anyway to separate the lists of the subscribed threads? Right now it seems like it throws all your thread subscriptions in together, even if you have multiple lists.

The mobile version is great on my iphone 4 but I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but it needs "View Last Unread" that would be really great. other than that keep up the great work CheadyD and Super Programmer John! :D

[quote name='anarchyburger']The mobile version is great on my iphone 4 but I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but it needs "View Last Unread" that would be really great. other than that keep up the great work CheadyD and Super Programmer John! :D[/QUOTE]

It was there till the last 24~36 hours

Is it possible to add the "Cheap Ass Gamer > Forums > Cheap Ass Gamer Lifestyle > CAG News, Feedback & Site Assistance > New CAG Mobile Style - Beta is Live!" hyperlink navigation feature to the mobile version?

Could we possibly make the mobile site strip all color formatting for posts? Some of the posts in the game trading sub-forum are littered w/ formatting that doesn't show up on the mobile site.

I hate the mobile version so much that it's not even funny.....my droid tells me to tell CAG that it eats shit

Thanks skyfire for giving me the full CAG page...

I'm not able to login via the mobile site, won't take my login info.It did autodetect I was on a phone though.

[quote name='notwen']Could we possibly make the mobile site strip all color formatting for posts? Some of the posts in the game trading sub-forum are littered w/ formatting that doesn't show up on the mobile site.[/QUOTE]

bump

[quote name='notwen']Could we possibly make the mobile site strip all color formatting for posts? Some of the posts in the game trading sub-forum are littered w/ formatting that doesn't show up on the mobile site.[/QUOTE]

You may have to strip all formatting in general as I've noticed even some posts only formatting font type also do not show up. Could anyone else confirm having this issue on their smartphone on CAG's mobile site?

bread's done
Back