- - - - -

Steam: Final Fantasy XI Online - Ultimate Collection ($4.99)

#31 Abe_Froman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Abe_Froman

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

I've never played a MMORPG before but I remember being really interested in this when it came out. If anyone has any idea when the free trial starts it would sway my decision. I'm sure I would get my money out of a 30 day trial but I wouldn't really be able to start in earnest until the end of next week.

It sounds like a few people here are on the fence about picking it up; if we're trying to get a group together for 30 days of screwing around I'd be in.

I'm in the same position...wondering when the 30 day trial begins. And also, a huge timesink isn't really what I need right now, but $5 is a really good price to try it out...tempting.

#32 tooshorty6432168   (^'.')> CAGiversary!   1912 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

tooshorty6432168

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'm in the same position...wondering when the 30 day trial begins. And also, a huge timesink isn't really what I need right now, but $5 is a really good price to try it out...tempting.

It starts when you create your account in game. Keep in mind it still requires you to enter a credit card and it's up to you to cancel it before the 30 days is up.

#33 Abe_Froman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Abe_Froman

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

It starts when you create your account in game. Keep in mind it still requires you to enter a credit card and it's up to you to cancel it before the 30 days is up.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Looks like I'll be picking it up for $5.

#34 RColaUAB   CAG-tastic CAGiversary!   149 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info! Looks like I'll be picking it up for $5.

I think I'm also going to give it a shot. I'll probably won't be starting up until this weekend if anybody organizes a CAG Newbie party.
19291.png

#35 pjh898   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Sounds like I'm in too. Thank you tooshorty6432168.
If anyone wants to hit me up in about a week to start coordinating I'll be available, barring Starcraft 2. :D

I'm PST (GMT-7) and available after work and dinner ~6p.

#36 Kaltic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1573 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

I had a blast with the game for almost a year, but I am just going to wait for XIV at this point. Hard, tedious, and unforgiving , yes. But tons of fun, and a sense of accomplishment along the way. And it *gasp* forced interaction with other players. And *gasp* the journey to level cap was challenging, with tons of things to do. It was not the "solo grind to level cap and then maybe you will interact with others and have some fun" style game that WoW is.

But still.. for $5, it is tempting to mess around in the newbie areas for a bit to build anticipation for XIV. Make a Taru Taru monk and puch Yagudo's in the stomach.

Yeah it is fun until you delevel 3 times within 2 days even though it took roughly 2 or 3 (or longer depending on how many people passed on inviting a thief...) days to gain each of those levels in the first place.

I had an absolute joy playing it until then. I liked the combat, crafting, and overall feel to the game. I will agree and disagree with the forced interaction though. Now I don't mind partying up in MMOs and would have liked WoW to be a little more forced (I rarely partied for the first 30 levels... back before they decreased the xp to level). But FFXI was way too forced. The moment you pass roughly level 8 you never solo.... ever again (of course I never made it up to lvl 30 since I quit after what I talked about previously).

I will say that I have yet to play an MMO (or play one long enough) to get the sense of accomplishment that I did from FFXI. Anytime you gain some new feature, like the ability to take a sub-job or get your chocobo license, it really made you feel like you were making progress through the world. Other MMOs seem to only give you a sense of accomplishment way too late in the game or just don't feel as major when you do them.

I still won't suggest anyone to the game though. But if you do choose to then for the love of god play a white mage... you will never not be in a party.

I wish I could say that, but honestly I was severely addicted to it for at least three years. It was literally all I thought about every day and my sleep schedule dwindled to a few hours a day.

Now you don't have to be addicted to a game to think about it while you are not playing it. Anytime I take one of those scantron tests (the ones you fill out one of the 5 circles as your answer) I always (if I don't know the answer) try to make a design with an idea that it is, sadly, a sunken defense from Starcraft.

We used to take non graded tests on those and that was when I literally just made mazes with the hopes that zerg wouldn't get passed my sunken defense (of course I did still have to avoid walling off or they would have destroyed me).

That wasn't even a game I was ever madly addicted to, but I think far more about Starcraft than say... Counter-Strike (I was addicted to it awhile back), or Halo (same as Counter-Strike), or even NeverWinter Nights (Oh World of Haven... how I miss you).

#37 tooshorty6432168   (^'.')> CAGiversary!   1912 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

tooshorty6432168

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Now you don't have to be addicted to a game to think about it while you are not playing it. Anytime I take one of those scantron tests (the ones you fill out one of the 5 circles as your answer) I always (if I don't know the answer) try to make a design with an idea that it is, sadly, a sunken defense from Starcraft.

We used to take non graded tests on those and that was when I literally just made mazes with the hopes that zerg wouldn't get passed my sunken defense (of course I did still have to avoid walling off or they would have destroyed me).

That wasn't even a game I was ever madly addicted to, but I think far more about Starcraft than say... Counter-Strike (I was addicted to it awhile back), or Halo (same as Counter-Strike), or even NeverWinter Nights (Oh World of Haven... how I miss you).

Oh yea I definitely know that, video games are pretty much my life and I think about them a ton. With FFXI though, I would be absolutely obsessed with it and my life revolved around it, resulting in everything else in my life suffering. I would get panic attacks not being able to play for a day or two on end. It just wasn't a healthy experience.

Granted I took some valuable life lessons out of it and I think it was a good learning experience, I just wish I took advantage more of opportunities around me during my last two years of high school and first two years of college.

#38 Spacepest   Your Tax Dollars At Work CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Spacepest

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

I still won't suggest anyone to the game though. But if you do choose to then for the love of god play a white mage... you will never not be in a party.

I was a white mage. Yeah, it makes getting into parties easier. My problem was I had to often turn down invites from bad players. I soon found out, you can't heal and save stupid.
"Videogames...why waste good technology (and $$$ ) on science and medicine?"

#39 tooshorty6432168   (^'.')> CAGiversary!   1912 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

tooshorty6432168

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

I was a white mage. Yeah, it makes getting into parties easier. My problem was I had to often turn down invites from bad players. I soon found out, you can't heal and save stupid.

Yea if you want the easiest leveling experience, level Blackmage to 18, White Mage to 37 and then play Bard to 75. At every level you'll need to deal with the occasional horribly stupid party(more so at the lower levels), but you'll eventually start to recognize names and be able to get into good groups.

#40 Kaltic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1573 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, but when it comes to being some class like say.... the thief. You just took what you could. There was no ability to be picky between which party to join. Now I don't know if it changed later, but I remember sitting in FFXI just calling for a party invite while actually playing another game because it took such a long time. At least with white mage you can play the game even if it is with a craptastic party.