Netflix XMB App Coming October 18 With Subtitles

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/14/netflixps3/
If you instantly watch movies and TV shows from Netflix on your PS3, here is the news you’ve been waiting for: starting Monday, October 18 you’ll be able to instantly watch movies and TV shows without inserting an instant streaming disc into your console.

In addition to eliminating the disc, there is a new user interface that brings a much richer and faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts.

There is even more good news for PS3 owners: starting on Monday you’ll be able to instantly watch some movies and TV shows in 1080i 1080p high definition, listen to Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound, and view an increasing portion of our content library with subtitles. This will bring the home theater experience right to your living room and make instantly watching movies even more enjoyable. Here’s a news release from Netflix and Dolby with details.

Check out these improvements and continue to enjoy watching TV shows and movies streamed from Netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
While you're waiting, those of you with a Netflix streaming disc can start searching now as they've added that ability to the interface this week. [/QUOTE]

fucking hell... finally.

Playstation Plus required or not? If we recall, this "app" was mentioned in a Playstation Plus survey that leaked a while ago.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd imagine that it'll be free like Hulu Plus will be when that launches.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Hulu Plus is charging $10 itself for access, I don't see Sony requiring PS+ just to access these.

Finally! I love Netflix on my PS3 but the interface could be a LOT better. Feels like Netflix on PS2.

And the no-disc thing is even better.

[quote name='SynGamer']Agreed. Hulu Plus is charging $10 itself for access, I don't see Sony requiring PS+ just to access these.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft charges for Netflix use. So maybe Sony will do it to imitate the opposition?

[quote name='Paco']Microsoft charges for Netflix use. So maybe Sony will do it to imitate the opposition?[/QUOTE]

The ONLY way that would work is if they still allow the current disc to work...which I doubt since there is going to be a firmware update. Otherwise there is going to be a huge uproar since users currently get by with the disc which is free.

Didn't think it was worth a new thread, but figured I'd drop this info in here.

Netflix just launched today in Canada, with the downloadable Netflix app. I was able to create a Canadian PSN account and it showed up in the video section of my XMB when logged in with that account. Once I downloaded it, I switched back to my main profile and was able to use the app with my US Netflix account with no problems.

Just a heads up in case anybody wants to get the downloadable app now instead of waiting.

Cool, I may have to try that later. Since it's ready they must just be waiting until the Xbox exclusivity deal runs out before it goes live in NA.

Just did the Canadian account thing and downloaded it. Not as slick as the one shown awhile back, but it's a pretty huge step up over the disc option.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/22/netflix-launches-in-canada-console-access-detailed/

You can't create an instant queue with the Canadian app, so once again, Canada drops the ball. They do offer a streaming-only option in Canada, which is sorely needed here.[/QUOTE]

I tried it out earlier and I might be misunderstanding the semantics, but the downloadable app has both a 'search' function and an 'add to my instant queue' function. It would seem odd if the PS3 app behaved differently depending on the account that is being used, but I guess its possible.

Awesome, I'd love Netflix on my PS3. Is there going to be an interface redesign? I think it needs it. Or at least have the ability to scroll faster through the movie list and queues.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Awesome, I'd love Netflix on my PS3. Is there going to be an interface redesign? I think it needs it. Or at least have the ability to scroll faster through the movie list and queues.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the interface in the downloadable app is different from the disc-based one. Its not perfect by any means, but I think its a big improvement. Speed and ease of browsing around is greatly improved. The layout reminds me a bit of the PS3's "What's New" section. Everything is tiled out on the screen and you can navigate in all four directions, instead of just being one row that you navigate left and right.

EDIT: Well, it was working earlier around lunchtime, but now it appears to have been region locked. "This device cannot instantly stream from Netflix in your area. Visit netflix.com/NRD to see a full list of devices that stream from Netflix."

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they just locking it out of US accounts that try to access it, or is it also now blocked from Canadian accounts trying to access it within the US? If it's just the former, then just sign on to your Canadian account.

[quote name='SEH']Are they just locking it out of US accounts that try to access it, or is it also now blocked from Canadian accounts trying to access it within the US? If it's just the former, then just sign on to your Canadian account.[/QUOTE]

I signed into my Canadian account and it didn't work. Tried my Japanese and Europe accounts and those were blocked as well.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Awesome, I'd love Netflix on my PS3. Is there going to be an interface redesign? I think it needs it. Or at least have the ability to scroll faster through the movie list and queues.[/QUOTE]
R2/L2 skips through pages of videos on the disc version.

Sweet, subtitles, that's the only thing netflix has been lacking compared to Hulu. Will be finally nice to be able to boot up netflix without switching out the game disc.

[quote name='FroMann']I like the new interface. Can't wait for the update, now what am I going to do with my poor Netflix Blu Ray Disc. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Disc golf!

I love that they're adding subtitles, so as long as they keep the same functionality (scrolling through my queue or categories from the description page) it should be a big upgrade over the current interface.

1080p and 5.1 has me excited, but not too excited. They'll likely half-ass it like they do with their current HD selection (AKA take FOREVER to add anything worthwhile in true 1080p and 5.1).

Its out now, I downloaded it this morning and its very nice! Looks nicer and runs smoother. Also you can finally delete the cache file for the Netflix Disc in the BD data menu. Mine was about 60MB. The download for the application was about 19MB and it also required an update which was also 19MB.

Impressed so far. Personally, the quality of the video is reasonable, considering the price we pay each month for unlimited streaming.

Been watching Claymore (anime) for the last 2 hours. Quality is pretty good (it's in 'HD'), but what I'm most impressed with is how fast shows and movies start up. I've yet to have picture quality degrade and have a show stop/re-buffer.

Currently watching the first Iron Man and the picture quality is pretty good. The interface is very streamlined and as SynGamer mentioned very fluid and quick to start.

[quote name='lewchief']I'm gonna do this when I get home. Do I just put in the disc to get the update or is it in the store?[/QUOTE]

It'll show up automatically on the XMB in the video section; you simply select it and then it will download the app. No disc at all.

Love netflix...this makes it so much better and more convenient...i also don't have cable such a waste of money...good call on deleting the cache

I was wondering how that icon popped up in the XMB without me updating the firmware recently. Good to know.

I wish that the App ran at 60 fps instead of 30 fps. But whatever. Kudos for Sony for actually getting the disc-free app and for making it free to all users.

bread's done
Back