Afrika $30 shipped @ buy.com

I saw Gamestop has it for this price, but is sold out online...Nuts I wanted to use one of my coupons!

Oh, well, thanks OP...this is a nice deal on a game I had not previously heard of. Should be a good one to play with the kids though and I wonder how big the production run was. Doesn't seem like something I've seen in many stores.

saw this on the shelf used at GS not too long ago. Is it really great for kids? pretty simple controls? I got that Safari Adventure and I can't even tell WTF is going on in that, lol! this one may be fun as long as its simple

Jesus, this game is horrible. The install size on your ps3 is massive.

I thought the premise for this game would own, being a fan of Picture taking games. Damn was i wrong, the graphics are ps2 styled, and the loading times are horrible. Controls like garbage and ghhhh i dont even wanna talk about it anymore, i recommend this for no more then 10 bucks. maybe 15

Ordered a copy. Been waiting for a discount off the $50 price. Always wanted to play it. Heard it sucks, heard it's cool beans, guess now I'll find out for myself.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Jesus, this game is horrible. The install size on your ps3 is massive.

I thought the premise for this game would own, being a fan of Picture taking games. Damn was i wrong, the graphics are ps2 styled, and the loading times are horrible. Controls like garbage and ghhhh i dont even wanna talk about it anymore, i recommend this for no more then 10 bucks. maybe 15[/QUOTE]
PS2 styled graphics? Are you sure you were playing the same game I did? I found the game to be quite beautiful, albeit quite a bit boring as well.:cry:

It needed voiceovers for the guide(s) and photographers, but that's mainly a personal preference.

I started doing weird accents for the guides and talking in a snooty English accent for the photogs out of boredom of having to read what they were saying after about 20 minutes.:roll:

Here's some gameplay footage(from YouTube) for those on the fence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ4xG0urqYU

I bless the rains down in Africa.

...still not quite in the price range I'm looking for since I'm very on the fence about it.

Just want to add one to the side saying this game is awesome. The graphics are a mixed bag. The animals look amazing, but the foliage is 2-dimensional and low res up close. I don't have a problem with the controls. You're not doing that much controlling anyway. Just drive/walk to point A to point B, sneak around, take out your camera, and take pictures. This game is also very long. I've put 20 hours into it and haven't finished. Put it down because I wasn't too fond of the night missions. Definitely worth a play, and it seems like it would be good support for devs to try different things.

And the game is incredibly slow paced. Don't expect any run and gun type gameplay. The pacing may put a lot of people off, but it's taking pictures of wildlife. What do you want from it?

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Jesus, this game is horrible. The install size on your ps3 is massive.

I thought the premise for this game would own, being a fan of Picture taking games. Damn was i wrong, the graphics are ps2 styled, and the loading times are horrible. Controls like garbage and ghhhh i dont even wanna talk about it anymore, i recommend this for no more then 10 bucks. maybe 15[/QUOTE]

Picture taking games? Like what, Beyond Good & Evil?

I'm not nearly as harsh and am on my way to getting a platinum in this and while I think the game is fantastic in some ways there are some huge caveats.

1. As far as production values, everything is trash but the animals and the music. The music is a sweeping, fully orchestrated soundtrack like something out of a National Geographic special and the animals have more animation and detail than that of RDR or another recent game with wildlife. The landscape, character models, menus, etc.

2. The game has a budget design. You slowly do many things over the course of the game but essentially spend lots of time driving to get the proper locations. The picture taking is somewhat self defeating because as you get better camera you realize the animals look to different in quality to the extremely poor backgrounds. The initial load is terrible and you missions are often confusing and unintuitive. If you use a guide you'll have 100% more fun.

3. The game is educational and beautiful but slow for the same reason, there's no conflict so it is ultimately a casual game. The slowness alone may turn people off.

To be honest, I thought this game looked only decent when I first saw pictures/videos of it, but it blew me away by how fun and addicting it was.

It has good graphics and great music, interesting missions and, like I said, it's fun as hell. There's some pretty suspensful missions in it, as well. One that comes to mind is a mission where you have to seclude yourself by a waterfall and take photos of highly territorial elephants (while you're near the waterfall, look for a bottle in the water for a trophy, too). The last mission of the game is absolutely AWESOME.

This is one of the few games that I've actually platinumed on my PS3 and I'd easily play through it again. Oh, and it took me almost 34 hours to complete, just to give you an idea of game length. If you need help at all, www.ps3trophies.com has a great walkthrough. Definitely helped me out at times (especially during the night missions).

[quote name='meta460085']I like to hold my Dualshock3 while watching animal planet soooo, that's close enough.[/QUOTE]

I lol'd :lol:

But then, @ 30 bucks, it's a good deal, I'll get one for sure.

Yeah, I bit on this via Amazon since I have credit there. Since it is really from buy.com, though, my $10 gaming credit (from some previous purchase I don't even remember) didn't apply, but oh well. I was waiting for it to be available at GS ($24.99 used) but there are no used copies with 100 miles of me. There are a few new ones (also $29.99) but they are sure to be gutted. Plus this way I don't have to hunt it down ;).

I have a feeling this will only continue to get harder to find so this may be the minimum it will ever be available for.

bread's done
Back