Dead Space (PC) $7.99 - Newegg.com

No, but I do believe it comes with SecuROM. I still bought, and played the game at 49.99 when it was released. Was fun, and the headphones+soundcard really help highlight the atmosphere of the game. Way more immersive on a PC, IMO.

Any comments on the PC version? Already own and completely beat the 360 version but wouldn't mind a PC version if it can be spruced up a bit.

I don't recommend the PC version of Dead Space at any price. There's some fundamental control issues that makes all your movements feel delayed and it really make the game feel very sluggish. EA has not put out a patch to fix this issue and others and from what I've read, they have no plans to either.

Stick with the PS3/360 version of the game which you can also find for cheap these days as well.

[quote name='Slade']I don't recommend the PC version of Dead Space at any price. There's some fundamental control issues that makes all your movements feel delayed and it really make the game feel very sluggish. EA has not put out a patch to fix this issue and others and from what I've read, they have no plans to either.

Stick with the PS3/360 version of the game which you can also find for cheap these days as well.[/QUOTE]

I never played the PC version, but did play the PS3 demo. It controlled quite well on the PS3.

[quote name='DynamiteShikoku']do not by the pc version. It's impossible to control.[/QUOTE]

I didn't experience this problem at all.

[quote name='redshadow']I didn't experience this problem at all.[/QUOTE]

you must have the worst response time to be able to use those controls. I am being serious here.

If you have issues with the M+K controls, I would suggest using a 360 pad if that is an option for you. IMO it controls a lot better.

[quote name='DynamiteShikoku']do not by the pc version. It's impossible to control.[/QUOTE]

turn off v-sync both in game and in Nvidia control panel, Problem fixed. controls well with 360 controller on my 50inch HDTV.
Currently watching dead space downfall on Blu-ray, this franchise looks like it will be around for a while.

[quote name='rayne117']I just ordered. How can I go wrong for $8?[/QUOTE]

About 8 dollars wrong, I'd imagine.

Still, it's not completely unplayable.

Who knows, if you hadn't played Dead Space before with the tight, responsive controls on the PS3/360 maybe you won't be bothered by it as much.

[quote name='V878']If you have issues with the M+K controls, I would suggest using a 360 pad if that is an option for you. IMO it controls a lot better.[/QUOTE]

I tried with both settings and found the 360 controller option a much better way to go. Still, the floaty controls persist either way.

[quote name='DynamiteShikoku']you must have the worst response time to be able to use those controls. I am being serious here.[/QUOTE]

There is that other possibility that you simply suck at the game.

I also had no problem w/ the Dead Space PC. I used the 360 controller.

The KB/mouse controls would've been fine, IF some of the controls were ACTUALLY configurable. I don't really use WSAD to move in my games; I'm used to the cursors. Since I couldn't change that, stuck to the controller.

This game is easily worth $8.00 + free shipping.

I heard about this issue, and most seem to be satisfied with the "Turn off V-Sync" solution.

I intend on using the 360 setup with the V-Sync off - I'll update when I've played through some of the game with this configuration.

The mouse controls are indeed sluggish, in the sense that it's not a point and click game. You move the mouse and the mouse doesn't just instantly snap there.

The mouse does move slow, but on the other hand, would you really want point and click in a game where survival horror and brief moments of helplessness are intended? Also, because the game focuses so much on dismemberment to survive, I see the whining about unresponsive controls to simply be PC FPS-elitist drivel. Game isn't supposed to be a third person shooter like gears where you pop heads instantly, it's supposed to control slowly.

PC version is fine, especially at 7 Or 8 bones.

[quote name='redshadow']The mouse controls are indeed sluggish, in the sense that it's not a point and click game. You move the mouse and the mouse doesn't just instantly snap there.

The mouse does move slow, but on the other hand, would you really want point and click in a game where survival horror and brief moments of helplessness are intended? Also, because the game focuses so much on dismemberment to survive, I see the whining about unresponsive controls to simply be PC FPS-elitist drivel. Game isn't supposed to be a third person shooter like gears where you pop heads instantly, it's supposed to control slowly.

PC version is fine, especially at 7 Or 8 bones.[/QUOTE]

>Implying pc gamers play gears of war

It's not drivel, it's mostly because PC gamers aren't used to having their movement artificially delayed. It isn't like a gamepad where it hides sluggish movement, with a mouse and keyboard you feel it 10x worse. They should've made it as snappy as possible, not like it's multiplayer or anything.

PC gamers do play gears of war. I had no problems finding games in that lag fest just a few nights ago.

Artificially slowing movement is only hindering until you get used to it and can compensate.

Took me 5 minutes to pick up the controls and I fully enjoyed the game.

It's a decision made to preserve the game atmosphere, and if you're interested in being able to snap around and take people apart on the quick, then I'm sure Doom 3 is cheap and will satisfy you just fine.

I never said I was complaining, I'm just trying to explain why people complain.

BTW, Doom 3. Been there done that, nice try though.

lol artificially slow movement is only hindering until you get used to it and compensate. You know, a good game with a good atmosphere will stand on its own without the need to hinder player movement. Not saying dead space is a bad game, I'm just saying a game that can stand on its own doesn't need to do that.

Console players never had to compensate, infact I played it on ps3 and the movement was pretty damn good.

Whatever, don't bitch at me about it. It's only a game.

What about the Silent Hill or Resident Evil series? It would be incredibly easy if the controls weren't sluggish in those two games. Yet it is part of the survival horror genre to have controls that hinder you. Dead Space was no different.

What about the Silent Hill or Resident Evil series? It would be incredibly easy if the controls weren't sluggish in those two games. Yet it is part of the survival horror genre to have controls that hinder you. Dead Space was no different.

This is my point exactly. It's a design decision designed to simply promote an atmosphere within a game genre designed to promote moments of panic and/or intense helplessness.

The fact that a group of whiny PC gamers can't play the game in a point and click fashion really shouldn't deter you from enjoying this perfectly servicable form of the game.

bread's done
Back