Scott Pilgrim comics and movie! Blu-Ray/DVD is out now!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
The books

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Pilgrim-Vol-Versus-World/dp/1932664122"]
book2.jpg
[/URL]

It's easy to dismiss American manga-style comics as derivative material intended for teens and tweens. But you would be wrong to do that with Scott Pilgrim. First, the comic is actually set in mysterious Canada and written by Canadian artist Bryan Lee O'Malley. Second, while younger readers can enjoy Scott Pilgrim, it's really written for children of the late 80s-early 90s and gamers. It's not about games, but there are tons of references like the band names (Crash and the Boys, The Clash at Demonhead, etc.), characters playing games (Bomberman!!!), and more.

The books are about Scott Pilgrim, a slacker in his early 20s who plays bass in a band and lives in a 1-bedroom apartment with his gay roommate, Wallace Wells. Initially he dates Knives Chau - a 17 year old, for which he receives lots of teasing (I did this exact same thing myself). But the bulk of the story is about Scott's relationship with Ramona Flowers. He has to defeat her Seven Evil Exes, after all. The story begins very grounded in reality and reads like a comedy with light drama. But eventually fantastic things start happening, like the dramatic arrival of Matthew Patel - Ramona's first evil ex, who is accompanied by succubi. Crazy fights break out all over the place, from concerts to libraries. But the strangeness here really works, because it's balanced with lots of ordinary settings and character development. The dialogue feels authentic, though it's always clever and funny. I noticed someone at CAG called the books stupid, but they are in truth just extremely silly and fun.

Oh, and the art style isn't just some manga wannabe. O'Malley is definitely influenced by respected manga artists like Osamu Tezuka, but his style never comes across as a copy. It's cute, endearing, and yet very well-suited for the occasional intense battle.

I highly recommend everyone read the first volume and see what all the fuss is about.

Comic reviews

IGN reviews Volumes 1& 2
Comic Book Resources Volume 6 review
Mania.com Volume 6 review

Scott Pilgrim links

Scott Pilgrim official site
Bryan Lee O'Malley's blog

The Movie

The movie is directed by Edgar Wright (Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz). Cast list, soundtrack list, etc. at Wikipedia.

Character comparisons

cerakendrickpilgrim.jpg

Scott Pilgrim and his sister Stacy

ramona.jpg

pilgrimromanamallet.jpg

Ramon Flowers, Scott's girlfriend

knivesfirstlook.jpg

Knives Chau, Scott's young ex

pilgrimpatel.jpg

Matthew Patel, 1st of Ramon's evil exes

lucasleechrisevans.jpg

Lucas Lee, 2nd of Ramon's evil exes

More comparisons here!

[youtube]qoFqatfEFrw[/youtube]

Reviews
IGN review
UGO movie review
io9's movie impressions
Playlist soundtrack review

The videogame

And of course, there's an awesome XBLA/PSN videogame, for which we have a thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268232

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info East! I know practically nothing about the Scott Pilgrim universe except for the movie coming out (and that only caught my eye because Edgar Wright was directing it).

But the books and the movie look like a lot of fun so perhaps I'll go out and get Volume 1 sometime.

Expressing such interest in one's own favorites is something that reminds me heavily of my youth; I used to have a mailing list devoted to Super Mario RPG during the early days of the Internet. I had hundreds of subscribers, and it turned out to be a good time for all.

Having said all that, this series looks interesting. I may even watch the movie, but I'm no Michael Cera fan, to say the least.

I Read all the books, but last volume just felt a bit off to me. Like if the pace suddenly slowed down more then I liked. Still a good read, but was hoping for a more..."epic" ending I guess?

I had to read vol. 6 twice, but I'm cool with the ending. If anything, what I think vol. 6 needed to really ice the cake was another show-stopping musical number.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Expressing such interest in one's own favorites is something that reminds me heavily of my youth; I used to have a mailing list devoted to Super Mario RPG during the early days of the Internet. I had hundreds of subscribers, and it turned out to be a good time for all.
[/QUOTE]

That sounds rad, Eliot. Yeah, I'm not so young any more but I still get really into the stuff I like. One reason Scott Pilgrim's easy for me to get into is that all three versions of it - comics, movie, and game - are quite awesome.

Cool, I'll have to check this out ... haven't read the books but may have to grab a few after I catch the movie. From the little I know about Scott Pilgrim, is anyone else kinda disappointed the role went to Michael Cera? I mean, the dude was funny in his first couple movies ... but he plays the exact same character in every film and after reading about the comics and the game ... is he really a good fit for this character?

Not really feeling Michael Cera either, but this Wednesday I got an early preview pass to the movie so I'll find out first hand.

Just an initial impression, but I think the movie looks better than the book. I didn't care for the first volume and stopped reading., but the movie looks like a blast.

I'm picking up the 4th volume at the library tonight! Am I just slow or does any one else have trouble telling the characters apart? I think a lot of them look similar especially Scott's exs.

[quote name='mistymayem']I'm picking up the 4th volume at the library tonight! Am I just slow or does any one else have trouble telling the characters apart? I think a lot of them look similar especially Scott's exs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that happens to me too. It's a result of the black and white art and mostly realistic character designs.

I just heard of this a few days ago. I first heard of the game during E3, though.

Why must Michael Cera be in everything? I'm sick of him.

Alright, just got back from an early screening of Scott Pilgrim and I'll cut to a review.

First off, I hated the film adaptation of Kick Ass. I Bring up Kick Ass because first half it followed the comic almost perfectly, yet suddenly second half of the movie it veers to a ridiculous path and forgets the source material totally (superheroes in a real world setting). Scott Pilgrim they change alot in the second half, but never did they stray far from the video game almost ADD world of the comics. Some characters are taken out (Joseph, Lisa) or majority of story shortened (Kim, Envy, Gideon and Ramona's relationship, Ramona's inter dimensional doorways), but the story focuses more on Scott and I dare say Knives is given more screen time here then in the comics and has a better conclusion as well. Somethings are changed around, like how exes are defeated, but it doesn't feel like that big a deal.

Second is I HATE Michael Cera. He always plays some fucking role in every goddamn movie. So it's odd when I say he was...

Well...

He was good in this. As in he captured the chaotic hyper feel of Scott in the comics without feeling like a character he's played before. There's also ALOT more action in this compared to the comic as in every ex has some kinda epic battle that goes on. That and the band (Sex Bob-Omb) plays a bigger role overall then in the comic. That and to be honest I TOTALLY liked the ending more then the comic. Since it didn't drag on with Scott's personal problems and really just as a whole went at a break neck pace that didn't get you lost, which is a feat all it's own.

You don't have to read the comics to get the movie since alot of the people at the screening weren't familiar with it, but enjoyed it. Though if you did you'll enjoy alot more of the winks and nods it gives if you did. Plus in the end the movie kinda feels like a love letter to video games as well since so many references. That and Beck's job with the soundtrack, awesome.

Oh and before the movie started the only trailer was for the movie DeVil and when M. Night Shamalyn's name popped up, everyone booed. This let me know I was in the right company.

Movie was awesome; all I have to say.

[quote name='bardockkun']Oh and before the movie started the only trailer was for the movie DeVil and when M. Night Shamalyn's name popped up, everyone booed. This let me know I was in the right company.[/QUOTE]

Haha, in my theater, when his name popped up, everyone went "Awwww," followed by roaring laughter.

If you don't get it then you're taking it too seriously or you just don't get what it's going for I want to say. Since like I said, the movie is a love letter to video games and seven evil exes = seven bosses to beat and win girl over.

I know next to nothing about this series, but I was given an autographed volume 4 at Comic Con, so I think I'll do my due diligence and give the series a fair shot. With character names like Knives Chau and Ramona Flowers, I can't refuse!

[quote name='AvidWriter']The whole "defeating the 7 ex's" thing to me is really stupid and doesn't seem interesting at all. It makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

It makes perfect sense. Almost everybody has dated someone who had an evil ex. Ramona just has seven of them. They have allied with each other, which is silly and fun.

Finished reading the sixth and final book yesterday. I thought it was too serious compared to the other books. In deciding to conclude Scott and Ramon's emotional journeys, the author just didn't pack as many jokes in as I would have liked. The art has improved though. I look forward to reading all 6 in a row sometime, and of course the movie and game.

[quote name='eastx']

Finished reading the sixth and final book yesterday. I thought it was too serious compared to the other books. In deciding to conclude Scott and Ramon's emotional journeys, the author just didn't pack as many jokes in as I would have liked. The art has improved though. I look forward to reading all 6 in a row sometime, and of course the movie and game.[/QUOTE]
It felt more like he had to cram more needless subplots in there then really need be. Like
Envy's return seemed pointless along with Scott visiting Kim.
It just felt like it either lost steam or he was cramming just to get another volume out there right before the movie's release.

Plus re-reading volume 1 again and the movie follows it nearly scene by scene. It's kinda amazing.

I Got another early screening pass for this next week. It seems for past few weeks they've given nothing, but early screening passes or at least here in my state they are.

Well saw another early screening of it yesterday and I can say it still holds up with more then one viewing. Plus the soundtrack is amazing. Plus it's out tomorrow so might as well bump and say go see it tomorrow.

Saw in early screen of the movie this evening and loved it. I thought it was GREAT!

I only read the first book and didn't really dig it, but loved the movie... highly recommended.

Who else has seen it? I thought it moved a bit too quickly - could used 10 extra minutes of breathing room - but what a fun movie. Excellent, very original fights. The soundtrack, especially the chip tune at the end, is just perfect. And there's a tiny something after the end credits, so don't skip 'em!

This is the most fun I've had watching a movie in a while. I laughed when he said "Hey, guys! I learned the bass line from the enemy battle theme in Final Fantasy 2!".. FF2 is probably my favorite game of all time, followed by Earthbound, so this was cool to hear/see. I will be going to see it again.

saw it, it was good. though they should have chosen someone other than Cera... needed someone geeky...but Cera's too the extreme.. and annoying

seriously he and Shia LeBauf must have the best agents in Hollywood because they keep forcing these two annoying shits down our throats in every new movie

How gory is this? I kind of want it to be like No More Heroes, where after an epic duel, a witty line then excessive blood occurs. Do the Evil Ex's get decapitated or otherwise killed, or do they all just whine after being defeated and go away?

Michael Cera is also turning me off.

It's not gory at all. Certainly violent, but enemies burst into coins when they die.

There is a blood mode, but it doesn't do anything crazy.

I saw the movie and thought it was fantastic! I don't usually care for Michael Cera, but I thought he did great in this and showed that he can do something other than play the same character in every movie he's in.

Yeah, it even looked like he did a lot of his own stunts.

Anyone else disappointed that

Envy Adams fails to make her second appearance? It's like she and Scott didn't resolve anything.

I haven't read the books yet, but I thought the movie was awesome. It's kind of funny, my cell phone ringtone is the Link to the Past title music, so at first I thought that I accidentally left my phone on.

[quote name='IvanHood']I haven't read the books yet, but I thought the movie was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Likewise. I look forward to reading the books. And then watching the movie again, for good measure.

[quote name='billyrox']saw it, it was good. though they should have chosen someone other than Cera... needed someone geeky...but Cera's too the extreme.. and annoying[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Scott Pilgrim's basically a 14 year old trapped in a 23 year old's body and is inconsiderate to others. So Cera kinda does a good job with that considering he's always stuck playing the roles of teenagers and what not.
[quote name='Moses144']How gory is this? I kind of want it to be like No More Heroes, where after an epic duel, a witty line then excessive blood occurs. Do the Evil Ex's get decapitated or otherwise killed, or do they all just whine after being defeated and go away?[/QUOTE]
It's PG-13. Really now.
[quote name='eastx']

Anyone else disappointed that

Envy Adams fails to make her second appearance? It's like she and Scott didn't resolve anything.
[/QUOTE]
Totally. At first I didn't like who they picked as Envy, but then I realized they really just gave her no material at all. Plus the movie kinda left it WIDE open that she'd be back in the final act, but it never came back to that.

I know, it really was the better movie this weekend. The only good news to come out of this is that the sooner it is out of theaters the quicker it will be on DVD/Blu-ray for me to purchase and watch repeatedly. That and I'm really curious to listen to the commentary on this one.

I finally got to see it today with the woman and we enjoyed it.

I cannot wait to get this on Blu Ray so I can see certain things that didn't show up on the screen.

bread's done
Back