Wedding gift ideas for my sister and brother in-law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananag112

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So my sister is getting married, and I need to buy a wedding gift for her and my future brother in law. What should I get them? It will be a really lavish wedding and I don't want to appear cheap, so I need to get something pretty nice. I was thinking around the $1000 range for each gift. For my brother in law, I was thinking of getting him a wrist watch. Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-2221-80-00-Seamaster-Quartz-James/dp/B000NIFAZ4/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

Anyone have any other ideas on watches or anything else?

I am still not sure what I want to get my sister though. Any suggestions?

fuck that. You feel obligated to buy an expensive gift because it's an expensive wedding? My sister got married 4 months ago. She got a hug. You know why? I'm poor and she understands.

[quote name='Malik112099']fuck that. You feel obligated to buy an expensive gift because it's an expensive wedding? My sister got married 4 months ago. She got a hug. You know why? I'm poor and she understands.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am making a decent amount of money now though so I feel like I should stop being a cheapass for at least one day. Also, his side of the family is loaded so I don't want to give a bad impression or something.

What do they like? I usually like to give gifts that they'll really like or get a lot of use out of. Don't they have some kind of gift registry or list?

I just got married, so let me give you some advice. They probably have registries setup at different stores. If you want to get them something that you know they'll want/need, follow the registry. If you want to spend more than anything on there, feel free to buy a bunch of stuff. Secondly, money/gift cards are always welcome. If they have money, then this may not be as important, but if they're both working and supporting themselves, money and gift cards are awesome.

If you don't want to go that route, then think about them personally. Is your future brother-in-law into tech/gadgets? You could get him a nice TV, a/v equipment, PC, iPad, laptop, video games, etc... If he's into his car, you could get him some nice upgrades.

What does your sister enjoy? Think of something she wants. Also, you can't go wrong with Diamonds. Chicks love diamonds. A nice bracelet, necklace, or set of earrings will always go over well.

Are they planning on opening the gifts in front of everyone and making snide remarks about each? If not, then don't feel obligated to get them such a lavish gift. Hell, if they're going on a honeymoon, give them cash and a gift. Something for now and something for later.

Wait, you're buying two $1K gifts so you don't appear cheap to HIS side of the family? fuck those snobs. Get something nice for them to share. Like a Logitech Harmony touchscreen remote (hells yeah!)

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Wait, you're buying two $1K gifts so you don't appear cheap to HIS side of the family? fuck those snobs. Get something nice for them to share. Like a Logitech Harmony touchscreen remote (hells yeah!)[/QUOTE]

Well, my sister is a snob as well and doesn't care about technology.

Yeah i think you should get gift cards to there favorite stores so you don't have to worry about buying something they don't like as they can just buy something they want and you dont have to worry about what to buy them!

If you are actually wanting to get them something nice get them a nice kitchen appliance (stand mixer, blender, food processor, etc)

I still can't get over the snobish/money stuff.....If that carries over into the marriage it wont last very long...

With the current divorce rate... maybe some giftcards to some lawyers?

[quote name='ananag112']Yeah, I am making a decent amount of money now though so I feel like I should stop being a cheapass for at least one day. Also, his side of the family is loaded so I don't want to give a bad impression or something.[/QUOTE]

So are you sure that his side of the family is loaded? or are they just extremely far into debt? Most of the time it's hard to tell.

[quote name='Malik112099']fuck that. You feel obligated to buy an expensive gift because it's an expensive wedding? My sister got married 4 months ago. She got a hug. You know why? I'm poor and she understands.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you must be dirt poor running around with that new Iphone. There is being cheap and being a dick.

As far as ideas go, something like a getaway or a cruise could be nice if they are into that sort of thing. If they need help with costs for their honeymoon you could chip in on that.

Do you even like your sister?

If they're gonna be loaded like his parents then fuck it, maybe they should get you something.

And if that doesn't work, then cash. It seems stupid to buy somebody something when you don't even know what to buy.

You don't know what your own sister would want as a gift? You should know her and him much better then we could ever guess. BTW, don't feel obligated to buy expensive gifts just because the guy is expensive. So what if you're that guy who can't afford a Rolex and a $1000 suit to go with it.

P.S. Sorry to hear your sister's getting married. Must be tough on you :lol: Who doesn't dread that day?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']George Foreman Grill. /thread.[/QUOTE]

Yes. They have some reeeeal fancy grills now. I've seen some with a clock in them and how much your life decreases with each piece of meat you eat. :rofl:

[quote name='Malik112099']Wow. You sound super shallow.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why you think it is super shallow, you just sound super cheap. A fucking HUG for your sister? That is beyond disgraceful. Sister's only get married once (ideally) and he is expressing his love and joy to her by giving her $2,000 in gifts. That is a major sacrifice there, and is a definite symbol of love.

Then again, I am used to indian weddings, and that is just the customary thing to do. I don't really know the rules with white people weddings.

I would give cash or giftcards. Maybe cash to the sister and a Best Buy gift card to the brother-in-law so he can buy a TV for your sister to enjoy :D.

Spending more on a gift doesn't equal loving that person more. Wanting to spend a lot to give a good impression to the rich family is shallow. My sister understands that money is tight. Money is tight for her as well. We all love each other and celebrated her union with her husband. Wanting to express your love with an expensive gift is more trying to compensate for not being thoughtful than it is a measure of love.

Money does not equal love. I would be more happy with something sentimental from my family than a $1000 gift. White people weddings? Anyways this whole situation is not right, you should not feel obligated to spend big bucks on them. If his side of the family treats you any differently because of it they don't deserve to be involved in your or your sisters life. If this is all your own thinking I would start changing my thinking.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I just got married and there is no better gift than money. Trust me. No one wants a fucking watch, or 90% of the shit on their registry.[/QUOTE]

This is what newly-married people want from what I have been told over the years.

wow this Malik dude sounds like a major dick... I dont care how tight money is. Someone in your immediate family gets married they deserve a little more then a hug. People don't spend money on gifts because they feel obligated to have their love accepted... they feel obligated because they don't want to be free-loading assholes. Seriously, weddings are expensive as hell. Thats why most people try to help with te costs as well as helping the new couple not struggle financially early on. Cant pay the rent and utilities with hugs and kisses...

To the OP I think a grand each is a bit extravagant. Im getting married next year and wouldnt expect near that. In my opinion I would want a really nice bedroom set, if that really was how much youd want to spend. Dressers and bedframe, or some sort of nice bedding would be ideal.

Then again Im 23 and getting married, so if your sisters older she may not relate. Were already moved in together and dont really have the nicest bedroom set, which seems like something thatd be nice but on neither of our minds to fit in the budget.

[quote name='Steggy']wow this Malik dude sounds like a major dick...[/QUOTE]

I figured this out a while ago and have just learned to ignore everything he says.

I dunno, I'm semi with Malik on this one. Not that you shouldn't give your sister anything OP, but that all this obligation shit is ridiculous.

If the OP is so concerned about showing people at a wedding how much money he's going to spend on his sister's wedding gift, why not just write a check. Or fill boxes with a couple grand of $1 bills and wrap them up.

Seriously, every newlywed couple would rather have money.

When I got married I didn't even have a wedding registry. Why? Because I'd already been living on my own for a year. There was nothing on a wedding registry list I wanted, needed, or didn't already own. I was more interested in having guests at my wedding then what useless gifts they would bring me. I didn't care if they came empty handed. (That being said, even though I had no registry I still got brought useless gifts...what the hell am I going to do with crystal serving bowls and an entire china set trimmed in gold that isn't dishwasher safe?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']Wait, so I'm a dick for not going further into debt buying my sister a super nice wedding gift? WTF is wrong with you people?[/QUOTE]
There is a middle ground between a "fuck you" hug and a $2000 watch.

My thoughts exactly when I saw the title of this thread.

[quote name='Malik112099']Wait, so I'm a dick for not going further into debt buying my sister a super nice wedding gift? WTF is wrong with you people?[/QUOTE]
How about a twenty-dollar bill or a nice card (three to five dollars) instead of a hug? How about helping out with the wedding, instead of a hug? Why is the OP a douche because he wants to spend money, and your family is a model because you're too cheap to?

Sure the size of the gift doesn't designate the amount of love you have for your family, but a hearty handshake/hug is like saying they weren't important enough for you to put any thought into a gift.

I lol'd.

I buy gift cards for friends when they get married, so they can buy what they don't receive on their registry. It's always been appreciated, but my friends don't have expensive tastes.

[quote name='Steggy']wow this Malik dude sounds like a major dick... I dont care how tight money is. Someone in your immediate family gets married they deserve a little more then a hug. People don't spend money on gifts because they feel obligated to have their love accepted... they feel obligated because they don't want to be free-loading assholes. Seriously, weddings are expensive as hell. Thats why most people try to help with te costs as well as helping the new couple not struggle financially early on. Cant pay the rent and utilities with hugs and kisses...

To the OP I think a grand each is a bit extravagant. Im getting married next year and wouldnt expect near that. In my opinion I would want a really nice bedroom set, if that really was how much youd want to spend. Dressers and bedframe, or some sort of nice bedding would be ideal.

Then again Im 23 and getting married, so if your sisters older she may not relate. Were already moved in together and dont really have the nicest bedroom set, which seems like something thatd be nice but on neither of our minds to fit in the budget.[/QUOTE]

If people can't pay the rent or utilities they shouldn't be having a wedding. People getting married shouldn't expect extravagant gifts, they've already gotten the greatest gift they could ever receive.

OK people..i literally didnt give her just a hug. Christ these boards are really full of self important snobby assholes (surprising since its called cheap ass gamer). 6 days before closing on our house (something you dont want to spend a lot of money before happening) we drove with a 4 and 2 year old for 8 hours to get to the wedding. We helped with setup, rehearsal dinner, etc etc etc etc....PLUS all 4 of us were actually in the wedding. My wife was a bride's maid, my daughter a flower girl, my son the ring bearer and I walked both my sister AND my mother down the isle. We were heavily involved and it took a lot of effort especially since we had to keep up with 2 toddlers at the same time. Hell, at the reception the dumb bitch wedding planner chick hadnt shown up yet and it was time for my sister to walk down these long winding stairs to meet everyone and no one knew how to bustle her dress. So I hopped under there and did it myself. So, assholes, it wasn't just a hug...I meant that instead of buying her something i couldnt afford I was instead there for her for anything she needed.

P.S. You are still a shallow douchebag if you feel the need to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a gift for someone in order to make a good impression on someone you dont really know

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I just got married and there is no better gift than money. Trust me. No one wants a fucking watch, or 90% of the shit on their registry.[/QUOTE]

That's the rule I follow. I know without a doubt with cash they'll end up getting something they actually want or need instead of something stupid they put on a list on a whim.

I can back you up Malik. I just got married in March, and my wife's brother and his girlfriend could barely afford to drive out here from Arizona. We didn't expect gifts from them, and we were just happy that they could make it.

Also, a lot of people are recommending money, which would normally be a good idea, but the OP mentioned that his brother-in-law is loaded, so money probably wont be an issue.

No registry? Fail. Anyway, don't pick out random stuff unless you're absolutely sure they'll want it; even then, if someone else picks up a similar present then one will probably go to waste.

Just cut them a joint check and be done with it. It may not be a personalized pick upfront, but it gives them the best personalized option in the end that doesn't conflict with anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back