GamersGate Summer Sale - Beat Hazard $4, World of Goo $6.79, Other Misc. Casual Stuff

DrowVampyre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
GamersGate has a big sale going on this month apparently, with each week being devoted to a different genre. First up: RPGs. For those of you that missed the original price during the Steam sale, they have The Witcher for $6.78, among others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads-up! For clarity, they're offering The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut. This includes not just bug fixes and extra content, but the Director's Cut also offers some of the extra gore, etc. that US (NA?) gamers did not get with our retail TW:EE versions initially. I also wanted to add that you can obtain free, official patches for either TW or TW:EE to patch them up to the DC version. I have the Direct2Drive version of TW:EE and it patched to the DC version just fine. Great game so far (I'm only about 2 hours in), and for the price you get a pretty neat action RPG.

Finally, definitely pick up Titan Quest Gold, folks (or the Immortal Throne expansion if you already own TQ). Iron Lore did a lot of great things with the Action-RPG formula and improved and expanded on so, so much. Read any review of Gold or Immortal Throne and you'll see just how rich the game is. If you're dying to play Diablo III, then I think TQG/TQ with IT expansion (same thing) and Torchlight are two absolute must-plays.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Finally, definitely pick up Titan Quest Gold, folks (or the Immortal Throne expansion if you already own TQ). Iron Lore did a lot of great things with the Action-RPG formula and improved and expanded on so, so much.[/QUOTE]
Picked up TQ Gold during the THQ sale a few weeks ago. Enjoying it so far.

So, Deus Ex (and the sequel) got amazing reviews when they came out. Do the games still stand up 10 years (well, 7 for the sequel) after release?

Sorry for the silly question (haven't clicked on link plus never heard of GG) but are these digital downloads or hard copies of the games?

Edit:
Forget it, finally clicked on the link. Want to get The Witcher but I'm wondering if I should just hold out for the Steam version since I won't play it anytime soon and it has the potential to be cheaper there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryushe']Sorry for the silly question (haven't clicked on link plus never heard of GG) but are these digital downloads or hard copies of the games?

Edit:
Forget it, finally clicked on the link. Want to get The Witcher but I'm wondering if I should just hold out for the Steam version since I won't play it anytime soon and it has the potential to be cheaper there.[/QUOTE]

The cheapest that the Witcher has been on Steam was $6.79 for a few days during the last sale. Then it went back up to $13.something later.

I was really interested in it until I saw some videos in regards to the, for lack of a better phrase, "sex system."

Still, this is the best price that has been out there for the game to this point, even if only by a penny.

Man, The Witcher and Titan's Quest are tempting, but I have enough of a backlog, I can wait and see if I can get them on Steam for the same price, down the road.

When Steam had their big sale, it was 6.78 for about a day (not as a daily deal) then jumped to $13. It seems the publisher didn't want it sold to a massive audience for 6.78.

EDIT: Darn beaten to it.

Ah, thanks for the responses.

[quote name='INCyr']Man, The Witcher and Titan's Quest are tempting, but I have enough of a backlog, I can wait and see if I can get them on Steam for the same price, down the road.[/QUOTE]Likewise. I can wait, because by the time I do end up playing The Witcher, it might have been discounted below this price multiple times.

Well, went ahead and bit on Witcher, Deus Ex, Deus Ex II, and Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold. I feel ashamed for buying 10 year old games for my month-old top-of-the-line gaming rig, but oh well. There's always FFXIV in another month (well, 48 days and 13 hours :cool:) to put it through its paces.

[quote name='madcatz1999']Well, went ahead and bit on Witcher, Deus Ex, Deus Ex II, and Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold. I feel ashamed for buying 10 year old games for my month-old top-of-the-line gaming rig, but oh well. There's always FFXIV in another month (well, 48 days and 13 hours :cool:) to put it through its paces.[/QUOTE]

Well, don't feel too bad. If you haven't played The Witcher or NWN2, they're both top-notch RPGs. I can't really say much about the Deus Ex series, having only played a demo of the original game, but that demo was pretty entertaining.

Frankly, the prices for some of these games are probably as good as you'll find in the foreseeable future, and if you missed out on them, I really recommend The Witcher, NWN2, and Titan Quest.

[quote name='madcatz1999']Well, went ahead and bit on Witcher, Deus Ex, Deus Ex II, and Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold. I feel ashamed for buying 10 year old games for my month-old top-of-the-line gaming rig, but oh well. There's always FFXIV in another month (well, 48 days and 13 hours :cool:) to put it through its paces.[/QUOTE]

Hah, yeah, my rig, which has been up and running for a week, is being used for The Dig, Loom, Deus Ex and X-Com. And after this weekend I'll likely be loading it up with Carmegeddon, Redneck Rampage, Realms of the Haunting (does anyone else remember that game? One of my favorites, but it seems to be an unknown jewel.)

Oh, and Dawn of War II.

[quote name='ryushe']Ah, thanks for the responses.

Likewise. I can wait, because by the time I do end up playing The Witcher, it might have been discounted below this price multiple times.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so worried about the price - $5-$6 is easily justifiable for what I've heard about those games. But I'd rather just keep all my purchases to Steam if possible - makes things a lot more organized and a lot less trying to remember where the hell I bought X game from.

[quote name='INCyr']

I'm not so worried about the price - $5-$6 is easily justifiable for what I've heard about those games. But I'd rather just keep all my purchases to Steam if possible - makes things a lot more organized and a lot less trying to remember where the hell I bought X game from.[/QUOTE]

If that's your concern, allow me to recommend Data Crow (http://www.datacrow.net/), an awesome freeware database program designed for tracking your CD, videogame, software, MP3, and book collections.

[quote name='warreni']If that's your concern, allow me to recommend Data Crow (http://www.datacrow.net/), an awesome freeware database program designed for tracking your CD, videogame, software, MP3, and book collections.[/QUOTE]

I started using that program once, realized how daunting a task it seemed to actually log all the crap I have, and gave up. :[

[quote name='INCyr']

I'm not so worried about the price - $5-$6 is easily justifiable for what I've heard about those games. But I'd rather just keep all my purchases to Steam if possible - makes things a lot more organized and a lot less trying to remember where the hell I bought X game from.[/QUOTE]

I wish NWN2 was on Steam, but I've never seen it and I have no hope it ever will be, so I'll probably just get it. But I know what you mean, having downloaded games from Steam, GOG, D2D, Impulse...I lose track pretty easily.

Holy shit, Freedom Force for $1.34? I always loved that game! Then the CD got really freaking outdated and I could only find patches for the FPS game. :/ Assuming it's the updated version and it works with what I'm running, I'm DEFINITELY considering it at that price. Thanks, OP!

Lets see, I love RPGs, but...

The Witcher had way toooooo many of those "fetch me 10 heads" type of crap quests, so stopped playing that one.

Gothic games are just way too tough, spent too much time dying (or being scared of dying) rather than being immersed in the world. I know a lot of people like that, but I didn't.

NWN2 had too many crashes, and this is after I spent many many hours playing this game. Good game though, maybe it's patched up correctly now. May pick this one up since it's the Gold version with the expansion.

Pass on everything else since I'm still playing ME2 and waiting on Fable3 and Dragon Age 2.

I'm having price-raise fears after the last The Witcher incident. However, I think I'm going to at least wait until Steam announces their Weekend Deal - If it's not The Witcher, then GamersGate will have a new customer on their hands.

I trust GamersGate has a reliable download client? (preferably one that doesn't install spyware or any other crap.)

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Whoa, The Witcher for $6.78? I just may do this - Does everyone/anyone recommend GamerGate?[/QUOTE]

I second that. Have any of you used this service before? Would you recommend it?

Considering LOKI, I know it has been a buggy game in the past. have patches ironed out all the glitches and stuff by now? it looks like fun but I duno.

I've used GamersGate, and the download client seems fine to me. It's more of a strictly download client though, doesn't have all the bells and whistles like Steam's. But you can, of course, load them onto the Steam list as a non-Steam game as soon as you get them on your hard drive.

Hate to tell you FF14 is horrid gameplay. A lot of great ideas incredibly poorly executed. It will however put a tax on most any PC out there - for no apparent reason - it's graphics are good but not amazing, definitely not for stress it puts on most PCs.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']For clarity, they're offering The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut. This includes not just bug fixes and extra content, but the Director's Cut also offers some of the extra gore, etc. that US (NA?) gamers did not get with our retail TW:EE versions initially. I also wanted to add that you can obtain free, official patches for either TW or TW:EE to patch them up to the DC version. [/QUOTE]The DC added in the nudity on the "sexual conquest cards" that was bowdlerized in the original version. As you noted, it's available as a free DL from the game's site, so it doesn't really matter which version you buy, they can all be updated.

[quote name='psunami']The cheapest that the Witcher has been on Steam was $6.79 for a few days during the last sale. Then it went back up to $13.something later.

I was really interested in it until I saw some videos in regards to the, for lack of a better phrase, "sex system."

Still, this is the best price that has been out there for the game to this point, even if only by a penny.[/QUOTE]

What are you five? The sex interaction is only a small portion of the game. An adult shouldn't sweat implied sexuality or nudity. The game as a whole is badass and is very worth it.

I'm not seeing Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold on the list anymore. Can anyone confirm that I'm not just overlooking?

[quote name='MBENNE']I'm not seeing Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold on the list anymore. Can anyone confirm that I'm not just overlooking?[/QUOTE]

It does appear to be gone, and Dargon Age Origins is there where it hadn't been last night...maybe they're changing a little every day?

Dragon age origins/deluxe for $15/20 and me 2 for $15 are cheap enough for it's own thread, or at least in the title

[quote name='vherub']Dragon age origins/deluxe for $15/20 and me 2 for $15 are cheap enough for it's own thread, or at least in the title[/QUOTE]

Edited the title to put it, ME2, and Witcher in.

[quote name='mitnosi']Ah, would go nuts on this sale if it wasn't digital copies only.[/QUOTE]
I prefer physical copies whenever possible myself, but digital isn't bad either thanks to good prices from services like Steam. (In this case, GamersGate.)

Sweet! Just saw they added dragons age for PC!! I have PS3 copy but I couldnt get into it, it really demands a mouse and keyboard setup :)

fuck YES! Should I spring for the deluxe edition??

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Sweet! Just saw they added dragons age for PC!! I have PS3 copy but I couldnt get into it, it really demands a mouse and keyboard setup :)

fuck YES! Should I spring for the deluxe edition??[/QUOTE]

I think the dlc that comes with the deluxe edition costs $7 so if you were planning on buying that anyways it looks like you'll come out ahead with the deluxe version.

I bought the regular version and the Warden's Keep dlc at launch. I enjoyed the dlc but mainly for the backstory it provides on the Grey Wardens. You also get some nice talents and items. The storage chest isn't as useful because you can download a chest to put in your party camp (which is much more accessible).

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']fuck YES! Should I spring for the deluxe edition??[/QUOTE]
How big of a CAG are you? I mean, it's $5 more.

Do you want the extra in-game items? Would the included soundtrack spice up your Music folder? Would some game-themed wallpapers make you feel manly?

Well, WOULD IT?

Dont know about this gamersgate I know fileplanet has something like Download Now might wait for stream for it to drop again * scratches head*

Has Gamersgate improved their downloading speeds? I bought Batman from them earlier this year and got speeds between 100-300k. For games as big as ME2 and DA, that'll take awhile.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Wow, guess I shouldn't have waited on NWN2. Maybe it will pop back up again.[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it... the game and both expansions have been completely taken off Direct2Drive as well.

Atari and the holder of the D&D license are in some kind of lawsuit now... I don't remember all the details, but it's been the one reason NWN 2 was never able to be put up on Steam (since it was up earlier on other DD services).

I wonder if this lawsuit is now forcing Atari to take it down everywhere? It sucks because I didn't buy Zehir before all of this, only have NWN 2 Gold =/

I can't find anything on the net about it disappearing either.

[quote name='vessey632']Has the deluxe version of DA:O been this cheap before?[/QUOTE]
Not as far as I know. I'm wishing I'd held off when D2D had that sale earlier this summer. Could have gotten the Deluxe Edition for what I paid for the regular edition.

Oh well. Awesome deal for those who don't have the game yet.

Edit: Has anyone bought Dragon Age on GamersGate? Do you get separate codes for the DLC, as opposed to the game itself, like on Direct2Drive?

[quote name='Wicked_Limb']Dont know about this gamersgate I know fileplanet has something like Download Now might wait for stream for it to drop again * scratches head*[/QUOTE]

They're a perfectly reputable company. They started out as the digital download branch for Paradox's games and branched out from there a few years ago. The only real difference between them and Steam is that GG downloads the software through your browser, rather than through a specific piece of software.

[quote name='deouble9s']Has Gamersgate improved their downloading speeds? I bought Batman from them earlier this year and got speeds between 100-300k. For games as big as ME2 and DA, that'll take awhile.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much maxing out my connection and getting over 800ks/second.

If the limit is 1 mb itll be max 2 hours to download a 10 gig game

[quote name='mblackwl']The only real difference between them and Steam is that GG downloads the software through your browser, rather than through a specific piece of software.[/QUOTE]

Last time I tried GG it only downloaded a special "downloader" via the browser. You then had to run the (flaky) downloader to get the game, and it keeps the installer (weakly) encrypted, forcing you to run the downloader w/authorization check whenever you wanted to reinstall from backups in the future.

Actually, the installer is probably "encrypted" because they just put the installer files up on public CDN servers, and are hoping to stop people from passing around links to the full games. That's also the reason games on GG tend to be protected with Securom and online activation, even when the same game on other services isn't.

That said, once it's downloaded you can just make a backup of the decrypted installer while it's running (it has to be while it's running, because the downloader reencrypts when you quit), or you can "break" the "encryption" by XORing the first 1000 bytes with 0x7F. At that point it's pretty much the same as having gotten the game from anywhere else, unless it's one of the games that GG adds extra DRM to. You don't have to run any software to run your game, and when a patch comes out you download it (or sometimes an updated version of the full game) the same way you got the game originally.

You can test out GamersGate by getting a free copy of Volvo The Game (which is freeware anyway, but it gives you a chance to try GamersGate's download process).

GamersGate is really bringing it with this sale. If they match or beat Direct2Drive's prices on Fallout 3, then I'll be in, since the GG version supports FOSE.

Bummer about removing Neverwinter Nights 2, but at least I can pick up Mass Effect 2 for cheap. Can it be activated on Steam?

bread's done
Back