The Best PSP JRPGs which aren't Remakes or Ports

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
I was going through my PSP games trying to pick out my next RPG and realized everything I owned was either a remake or a port. I feel like playing something new. Could I get some recommendations from fellow CAGs. I'm not into Strategy RPGs so don't worry about them. Thanks in advance.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is out at the end of this month. Aside from that, I think you might be out of luck...

Was going to say Jeanne D'Arc but thats strategy so not sure. Isn't there some traditional JRPG called Hex something coming out?

Saw some video and reviews of Crimson Gem Saga and it looks pretty good. I never heard of the game, but it got some good reviews. How's the story? Thanks for the recommendation, that's kinda stuff I'm looking for.

EDIT: I know it's not an original PSP title but I never played Star Ocean: First Departure. I played Star Ocean 2 back on the PS1 and liked it. Are their any updates to the Star Ocean: FD worth mentioning?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeanne D'Arc
is pretty solid. I'm about 10 hours in and even though I'd almost never say this -- just skip the goddamn cutscenes. Plenty of challenging battles and fun customization to keep you busy, but nothing in that game is worth reading or listening to (EDIT: woops, this is an SRPG)

Crisis Core
was fun although the story/characters were a bit ehhh. Great portable action RPG though. Really well made.

JRPGs I haven't played but heard good things about would be Crimsom Gem Saga and Half-Minute hero. Monster Hunter too, but that is more of an MMO.

The PSP has been really great to me mostly because of the amazing remakes. A lot of people are playing those games for the first time too. Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy: Tactics, and now Persona 3 Portable really are some of the top games for the system.

Crimson Gem Saga is great, so far. I am about 10 hours in but the combat is good and although the story is simple a predictable, it is entertaining. I also have Mynarr Chronicles (or whatever it is titled, my games are in the other room at the moment) but have not played it yet.

My wife is a huge fan of the Dungeon Maker games, and she has also played and enjoyed Dragoneer's Aria and the Legend of Heroes trilogy.

I did not enjoy either Valhalla Knights games nor the Tales of the World game. Nothing particularlly wrong with them, I just couldn't get into either. (The grind in tales is full of fan service but just boiled down into something too simple and redundant.)

Wild Arms XF is an SRPG, and the black sheep of one of my favorite RPG series.

I also recommend Popolocrois. Great game with a childish, yet endearing story, and quality art and gameplay.

Star Ocean FD plays exactly like Second Story (or Second Departure on PSP), but the story is not as good. Regardless, it is fun to get to play this game for the first time.

This is all I can muster off the top of my head. Hit me up sometime while on LIVE and I'll let you know more when my games are in front of me.

I came in here to post Valkyria Chronicles II, but the first reply beat me to it, and made me smile, because it is the right answer.

Oh, and Birth By Sleep.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You guys already imported Valkyria? How is it?[/QUOTE]

Theres a demo on the PSN as of yesterday's update.

As was already said, Crimson Gem Saga would be my number one recommendation.

Crimson Gem Saga - Classic type of RPG which is very solid but doesn't really try to do anything new.

Mimana Iyar Chronicles - fuck that shit. Don't even touch it or you'll likely end up with herpes or the like. Probably the one of the only games you can watch a youtube video of the gameplay and realise how incredibly terrible this game is.

Legend of Heroes Trilogy - Don't bother. They're very basic and trash compared to the original non-english PC version. Grab the next Legend of Heroes Trilogy when it releases from XSeed as it's lightyears better.

Class of Heroes - If you like dungeon crawlers that are similar to Etrian Odyssey, this is pretty similar.

Tales of the World - If you're a fan of the Tales battle system and like questing and grinding then you may like this. I was pretty so-so on enjoying it. It's a spinoff and you shouldn't expect it more.

Brave Story - Similar to Crimson Gem Saga in the fact that it's fairly solid and doesn't try anything new. The difficulty is pretty easy and I'd probably consider this more of a 'filler' RPG when you have nothing else to play.

Hexyz Force - Another filler RPG in my opinion. Not really a bad game and enjoyed playing it, but nothing that will take the spotlight.

Star Ocean: The First Departure - Since it technically never released in english before this PSP release, it's not a bad game. Worth picking up if you like Star Ocean 2 in my opinion.

Ys SEVEN - Releasing soon by XSeed. I played and beat the japanese version. If you enjoyed any previous Ys games, then pick this up. It won't disappoint if you're into the series. If you don't know much, then pick it up if you enjoy action rpgs.

Don't know if you played the first Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3, but the second one is also a strategy rpg. It's quite different than your standard srpgs and you should take a glance at it. Other than that, they're basically all remakes or just meeeeeh.

[quote name='Rodimus']Saw some video and reviews of Crimson Gem Saga and it looks pretty good. I never heard of the game, but it got some good reviews. How's the story? Thanks for the recommendation, that's kinda stuff I'm looking for.

EDIT: I know it's not an original PSP title but I never played Star Ocean: First Departure. I played Star Ocean 2 back on the PS1 and liked it. Are their any updates to the Star Ocean: FD worth mentioning?[/QUOTE]

Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force are good. I've heard good things about Brave Story, but haven't played it.

SO:FD is exactly like the first game, but I like it more.

[quote name='Rodimus']Saw some video and reviews of Crimson Gem Saga and it looks pretty good. I never heard of the game, but it got some good reviews. How's the story? Thanks for the recommendation, that's kinda stuff I'm looking for.

EDIT: I know it's not an original PSP title but I never played Star Ocean: First Departure. I played Star Ocean 2 back on the PS1 and liked it. Are their any updates to the Star Ocean: FD worth mentioning?[/QUOTE]

The story is your typical cookie cutter type of RPG story. The gameplay to me seemed faster paced than your standard turn based RPG. If your guys attack right after one another you can chain attacks and such (a poor man't Chrono Trigger in terms of dual attacks but not quite the same). The game is a blast in my opinion. It was also kind of rare when it launched because they didn't print enough copies. The game skyrocketed in price for a while but thankfully a reprint put more copies out there. I think it is the most underrated title on the PSP to be perfectly honest.

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology is a good choice as well if you like the Tales battle system. I honestly wouldn't recommend Mimana: Iyar Chronicle for anything over $15. I paid MSRP and I feel violated paying that price for that game. Hexyz Force is solid (still playing that one off and on).

EDIT: Brave Story is a bit slower paced but I liked what little I played of it. YS Seven hits next week and I have it pre-ordered. I loved all the older YS games so this was a day 1 buy for me :D. To answer your question about Star Ocean. I like First Departure but Second Evolution is my favorite in the whole series. Definitely play Star Ocean:FD if you liked Second Story on PS1.

There are none yet. Ys 7 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 show promise though. And Star Ocean 1 never came out here until the PSP remake so you may as well not say it's a remake or port.

[quote name='Goemar']Was going to say Jeanne D'Arc but thats strategy so not sure. Isn't there some traditional JRPG called Hex something coming out?[/QUOTE]

After looking through metacritic's top rated games for PSP I decided to pick this one up. I actually just got back from gamestop where I was able to secure it for 9.99 which is a great deal considering the game still goes for 30 on amazon.

I'm a huge fan of strategy RPGs; when they're done right. I HATED FFT advance...HATED. While the one on PSX has yet to be topped in my opinion. It's a damned shame the enhanced War of the Lions is crippled by slowdown that I am unable to tolerate; the pace of battle can be slow and tedious as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend Hexyz Force if you like standard RPGs, and the Valhalla Knights games if you like old-school level grinding games without a story. Brave Story: New Traveler isn't bad, but I didn't really enjoy it that much.

Do not get Mimana: Iyar Chronicle. The game costs $40, and it takes about 14-15 hours to beat. It's also incredibly easy. All you have to do is press X.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Yeah FFT is basically the god tier of SRPGs. Although I hear great things about Tactics Ogre as well.[/QUOTE]

I would debate that. "Dragon Force" is pretty much crack.

As for Ys 7 if the poster can wait I'll be selling it for $20 new+shipping costs. I'll charge typical cost.

In case any are wondering why I'm selling it I just want the omake of the premium pack since I think it's close if not identical to the Japanese stuff which I missed out on.
I'll be buying the Japanese version of the game instead. I'm not going to trust XSeed's translation.

I poured several hours into Jeanne d'Arc and Brave Story.

Jeanne is as good as FFT or Disgaea while Brave Story is middle of the road.

bread's done
Back