Why AC/DC deserves better.

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Even though they consistently sell out stadiums and have album sales up the wazoo (not to mention the second best selling album of all time and one of the most popular rock anthems ever), AC/DC is usually given the shaft by the mainstream music press.

THE music magazine, Rolling Stone, had Angus Young down at #96 on their top 100 guitarists list, only two of their songs on their top 500 songs list, and only got their first cover shot 2 years ago.

I saw a website of music reviews only give good ratings to 3 out of their 18 albums, and saw some magazine say that Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap had their worst solo and that Flick Of the Switch (most underrated album of all time) was terrible in comparison to it's over-produced predecessor For Those About To Rock.

I did see a recent article in the Canadian press point out a few of their sorely underrated songs, but in general groups with fewer hits, less onstage energy, and effects-laden production/guitar work get much more attention than the 'DC, especially in the back catalogue department. Examples include Motorhead, Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen, & Black Sabbath.

Have a listen to some of their career-spanning music, both hits and lesser-known works, and watch THE most energetic onstage performances EVER...

Soul Stripper
High Voltage
Problem Child
Dog Eat Dog
What's Next to The Moon
Walk All Over You
Hells Bells
Let's Get It Up
Nervous Shakedown
Sink The Pink
Chase The Ace
Go Zone
Moneytalks
Hard As A Rock
Meltdown
Rock 'n' Roll Train

Countdown, 1975
The Midnight Special, 1978
Paris, 1980
Landover, Maryland, 1981
Detroit, 1983
Rio De Janeiro, 1985 (Part 1)
Rio De Janeiro, 1985 (Part 2)
Moscow, 1991
Sydney, 1996
Paris, 2001
Toronto, 2003
Tacoma, Washington, 2008

I think The Doors needs their own thread too.

I'm not a huge fan of AC/DC though. Probably because 99.998% of high school football teams use their music for their mix vids. Always the same fucking songs too.

I like AC/DC, I really do, and as a band they are shafted on lists too much. However the thing about the band is that you really have to want to like them, seriously their sound to an initiated person is kinda taxing after a while. Besides that Angus is rated correctly, the guy made good licks, however the entirety of their catalog is basically the same three chords over and over again. Not bad, but not worthy of a higher score.

Edit- Good job on the thread though.

I like AC/DC a lot and appreciate what they've done over the years. I can also say that in my opinion, they are one of the most played out bands ever. I enjoy their music, but if I never hear Back In Black again I wouldn't be upset. I have to agree with cinder in saying that Angus should be very low on a list of greatest guitar players. Their songs are all basically the same. I've seen them live back in 08 I believe and while that was a really fun show, I'd be more likely to see any of the other bands you mentioned over AC/DC (especially at the price they charge, $100 per ticket is just outrageous).

Also, please spoiler tag the videos.

Huh. I didn't know people actually liked them.

I'm not really too up on american music, but I could never understand how they made it into rock band/guitar hero games (though the same could be said about a lot of music in them). Something about that singer's voice just makes me want to die, so I usually end up muting it if I absolutely have to play the song. Though, to each their own I suppose.

I've never understood the appeal of this band. Their drummer doesn't know anything exists on his set outside the the hi hat and snare, and they have got to have the cheesiest lyrics I've ever heard. That being said, I support music of all kinds and I respect them for what they've done for the music industry and what they've accomplished but...meh. I just find them boring. Haha

[quote name='tcrash247']That's a pretty ridiculous statement to make. Whether you like them or not, saying you didn't know people liked them is silly. They are in the #2 spot of highest grossing concert tours ever. So, yeah, I'd say people like them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_grossing_concert_tours[/QUOTE]

I know people like them but I've never actually met any of them. Same thing with ZZ Top - they've been around forever, had a bunch of mainstream hits but I've never met anyone who says they are a fan of either group.

No, Led Zepplin is the legendary band that was always shafted by the mainstream press.

I dunno, I have to agree with the press on ACDC. They're a fun band but it's hard to take them seriously.

That's because it's too easy to agree with the they made the same album XX times crowd .

That's bullshit, I've been listening to AC/DC for 30 years, I know better than to say something that ignorant .

I prefer the Bon Scott years .

[quote name='tcrash247']I'd be more likely to see any of the other bands you mentioned over AC/DC (especially at the price they charge, $100 per ticket is just outrageous).

Also, please spoiler tag the videos.[/QUOTE]

The quality of the show is worth the money. And people are paying it. My city sold out over 40,000 in less than an hour, and the local newspaper gave it 5 stars. ;)

And I'd like to keep the videos visible, to catch one's eye. I don't think people are willing to unhide every video, so they'd likely miss something awesome.

I can see live bands every week for from 5 to 10 dollars cover.

I just don't think concerts are worth it anymore - I mean how are you connecting to the music or the band in a huge-ass stadium after shelling out 100 clams?

[quote name='celegus']Huh. I didn't know people actually liked them.

I'm not really too up on american music, but I could never understand how they made it into rock band/guitar hero games (though the same could be said about a lot of music in them). Something about that singer's voice just makes me want to die, so I usually end up muting it if I absolutely have to play the song. Though, to each their own I suppose.[/QUOTE]
You guys are going to let him get away with such ignorance? C'mon CAG. Anyways I'm not a fan. Absolutely listenable of course and don't hate them

[quote name='tcrash247']That's a pretty ridiculous statement to make. Whether you like them or not, saying you didn't know people liked them is silly. They are in the #2 spot of highest grossing concert tours ever. So, yeah, I'd say people like them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_grossing_concert_tours[/QUOTE]
I said I don't really follow american music, so I honestly didn't know and was quite surprised. I've only ever heard a couple of their songs, but I had no clue they were that popular.

[quote name='celegus']I said I don't really follow american music,[/QUOTE]

Did you not see the post above yours? :roll:

They formed in Australia. The guitarists are from Scotland, as was their previous singer. Their current singer and bass player are from England, and the drummer is from New Zealand.

Well acdc from a artistic standpoint are not talented at all. They are some guys that have for a very long time basically been playing the same songs over and over and over again. They dont write lyrics that have a teaspoons worth of depth to them. Scott and johnson in normal terms are god awful singers. They use the same riffs and beats over and over again. Their music hasnt evolved one bit or improved, its still rough as it ever was. All their songs have the same sound to them in terms. They wail on their instruments scream into microphones to the point where you often cant even understand them and have a good beat, thats about it.

But what they lack in talent they more than make up for in energy and fun. Acdc has what alot of bands lack and thats music thats fun to listen to. They are upbeat in their music, singing as awful as it is fits the band very well and works great with their music. Plus acdc appeals the lowest common denominator of people so they will always be popular and sell well because they have the majority on their side.

I like acdc, always have but I certainly dont think they are due any type of undue respect or acknowledgement because while they do music they certainly arent an artist or anything. They are a bunch of guys having fun and entertaining people and thats it. They arent pink floyd, they arent mozart, they arent the beatles, they arent elvis, or anyone with a varied history and alot of unique talent. Doesnt mean they are bad but it doesnt mean they deserve more respect in the music industry.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']Did you not see the post above yours? :roll:

They formed in Australia. The guitarists are from Scotland, as was their previous singer. Their current singer and bass player are from England, and the drummer is from New Zealand.[/QUOTE]

Haha, just because they werent born here doesnt mean they arent american music. Look at sean connery, he wasnt born in america but he certainly is considered a american movie actor now isnt he? Or eric clapton is considered american music but he wasnt born in america. Or dan aykroyd is a american actor isnt he? Nope he was born in canada. You really should put more thought into something before you say it.

[quote name='celegus']I said I don't really follow american music, so I honestly didn't know and was quite surprised. I've only ever heard a couple of their songs, but I had no clue they were that popular.[/QUOTE]
ACDC isn't an American band.

[quote name='gargus']Plus acdc appeals the lowest common denominator of people so they will always be popular and sell well because they have the majority on their side.[/QUOTE]

1. They appeal to everyone who likes to have a good time.

2. "The majority"? You don't have a very good view of your fellow man, do you? :whistle2:?

I'm pretty sure he meant they appeal to the majority AND the lowest common denominator, not that the majority IS the lowest common denominator.

[quote name='gargus']Haha, just because they werent born here doesnt mean they arent american music. Look at sean connery, he wasnt born in america but he certainly is considered a american movie actor now isnt he? Or eric clapton is considered american music but he wasnt born in america. Or dan aykroyd is a american actor isnt he? Nope he was born in canada. You really should put more thought into something before you say it.[/QUOTE]

Only the singer and bass player live in America, and I think I heard that it's to avoid British taxes. One guitarist lives in Holland, the other in Australia, and the drummer remains in New Zealand. Plus, their last two albums were recorded in Canada.

EDIT: They are also most popular in Europe and South America.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm pretty sure he meant they appeal to the majority AND the lowest common denominator, not that the majority IS the lowest common denominator.[/QUOTE]

That's not the way it reads to me...

[quote name='gargus']Well acdc from a artistic standpoint are not talented at all. They are some guys that have for a very long time basically been playing the same songs over and over and over again. They dont write lyrics that have a teaspoons worth of depth to them. Scott and johnson in normal terms are god awful singers. They use the same riffs and beats over and over again. Their music hasnt evolved one bit or improved, its still rough as it ever was. All their songs have the same sound to them in terms. They wail on their instruments scream into microphones to the point where you often cant even understand them and have a good beat, thats about it.

But what they lack in talent they more than make up for in energy and fun. Acdc has what alot of bands lack and thats music thats fun to listen to. They are upbeat in their music, singing as awful as it is fits the band very well and works great with their music. Plus acdc appeals the lowest common denominator of people so they will always be popular and sell well because they have the majority on their side.

I like acdc, always have but I certainly dont think they are due any type of undue respect or acknowledgement because while they do music they certainly arent an artist or anything. They are a bunch of guys having fun and entertaining people and thats it. They arent pink floyd, they arent mozart, they arent the beatles, they arent elvis, or anyone with a varied history and alot of unique talent. Doesnt mean they are bad but it doesnt mean they deserve more respect in the music industry.

Haha, just because they werent born here doesnt mean they arent american music. Look at sean connery, he wasnt born in america but he certainly is considered a american movie actor now isnt he? Or eric clapton is considered american music but he wasnt born in america. Or dan aykroyd is a american actor isnt he? Nope he was born in canada. You really should put more thought into something before you say it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of this. They're terribly uninspiring. I feel the same way about Kiss.

Haha, well I suppose I don't really follow Austrailian, English, or New Zealandian music either to have known that. My bad. :roll:

I love AC/DC. Not a big fan of Brian Johnson though. Bon Scott forever. :cool:

lol @ the underrated tag. AC/DC is nowhere near underrated.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I agree with a lot of this. They're terribly uninspiring. I feel the same way about Kiss.[/QUOTE]

Funny, because that was the band I thought of too.

A while ago I was watching TV with my family and Kiss came on some show to do a set. My mom laughed and said "who are those guys in the clown makeup, they're alot of fun". For me, that pretty much sums it up.

People can hate on AC/DC all they want but, they are widely regarded as one of the most influential bands in rock and metal. Chances are --insert your favorite band name here-- wouldn't exist without their contributions.

I saw them live for the first time back in '08 and they still kick tons of ass!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evildeadjedi']People can hate on AC/DC all they want but, they are widely regarded as one of the most influential bands in rock and metal. Chances are --insert your favorite band name here-- wouldn't exist without their contributions.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

[quote name='evildeadjedi']People can hate on AC/DC all they want but, they are widely regarded as one of the most influential bands in rock and metal. Chances are --insert your favorite band name here-- wouldn't exist without their contributions.

I saw them live for the first time back in '08 and they still kick tons of ass![/QUOTE]

Joke post.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']People can hate on AC/DC all they want but, they are widely regarded as one of the most influential bands in rock and metal. Chances are --insert your favorite band name here-- wouldn't exist without their contributions.

I saw them live for the first time back in '08 and they still kick tons of ass![/QUOTE]

Not to be mean or anything, but that's total BS. I love ACDC, but they're far from influential. Every song they write is so simple that you could probably cover their entire set list after a week of playing guitar, bass or drums. And it's not like they introduced a whole new sound or anything. They're good, but they keep it simple.

[quote name='Blackout']I love AC/DC. Not a big fan of Brian Johnson though. Bon Scott forever. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I love me some Bon Scott singing Whole Lotta Rosie or The Jack live. Up there with DLR and Robert Plant for best rock frontman ever?

What's wrong with stripped down, raw, simple, fun, and groovy?

No flash + pure rock = AC/DC

Like I heard a radio DJ say once, AC/DC are the comfort food of music. You just wanna rock out without bothering about lyrics, complexity, and emotion? Well, here ya go! :cool:

And here's one of their few songs that wasn't released on one of their albums. Not my cup of tea personally (a really grating sound overall), but some of you might like it...

Big Gun (Last Action Hero soundtrack)

EDIT: By the way, please don't mess with my tags. I'll just keep removing them. if you don't like my thread, just say so and/or give it a 1 star rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Access_Denied']Not to be mean or anything, but that's total BS. I love ACDC, but they're far from influential. Every song they write is so simple that you could probably cover their entire set list after a week of playing guitar, bass or drums. And it's not like they introduced a whole new sound or anything. They're good, but they keep it simple.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to start a fight or anything just trying to understand where you're coming from:

Oh okay so when just about every article ever written about them sites AC/DC as "one of the most influential bands in history" their all wrong?

So what you're saying is in order to be "influential" you have play music that is so complicated that it takes years to master?

The point of why they are so influential is the fact most people can pick up a guitar, bass, or drums and play their songs. Not everyone is Neal Pert, Page, or Hendrix.

Who said influential had to be something radically different?

However, during their time what AC/DC did was radically different than everyone else.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']THE music magazine, Rolling Stone, had Angus Young down at #96 on their top 100 guitarists list, only two of their songs on their top 500 songs list, and only got their first cover shot 2 years ago.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that people actually thought of Rolling Stone magazine as a serious music mag...

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Oh okay so when just about every article ever written about them sites AC/DC as "one of the most influential bands in history" their all wrong? [/QUOTE]

yes

[quote name='evildeadjedi']So what you're saying is in order to be "influential" you have play music that is so complicated that it takes years to master?

The point of why they are so influential is the fact most people can pick up a guitar, bass, or drums and play their songs. Not everyone is Neal Pert, Page, or Hendrix.

Who said influential had to be something radically different?

However, during their time what AC/DC did was radically different than everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Influential means you actually have to influence something.

What bands were influenced by AC/DC's simple power riff, everything sounds the same style?

[quote name='Sporadic']

Influential means you actually have to influence something.

What bands were influenced by AC/DC's simple power riff, everything sounds the same style?[/QUOTE]

Tons

I think this thread should swap out AC/DC and put in Neil Young. He pretty much inspired the entire alt-country genre all by himself. Guy is a mean guitar player, and it's hard as fuck to emulate his style because it's pretty much improv not always in time with the rhythm section.

Down By The River, Cowgirl In The Sand, Like A Hurricane, Hey Hey My My (Into The Black), Cortez The Killer, Cinnamon Girl, and Heart Of Gold of course. Listen to those songs.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I think this thread should swap out AC/DC and put in Neil Young. He pretty much inspired the entire alt-country genre all by himself. Guy is a mean guitar player, and it's hard as fuck to emulate his style because it's pretty much improv not always in time with the rhythm section.

Down By The River, Cowgirl In The Sand, Like A Hurricane, Hey Hey My My (Into The Black), Cortez The Killer, Cinnamon Girl, and Heart Of Gold of course. Listen to those songs.[/QUOTE]

Neil Young is so all over the map, I think that's why he's constantly underrated. He does what he wants and doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks!

[quote name='gargus']Haha, just because they werent born here doesnt mean they arent american music. Look at sean connery, he wasnt born in america but he certainly is considered a american movie actor now isnt he? Or eric clapton is considered american music but he wasnt born in america. Or dan aykroyd is a american actor isnt he? Nope he was born in canada. You really should put more thought into something before you say it.[/QUOTE]

Really? You consider them American?

ditto. who considers Sean Connery american in any way? Dan Aykroyd is a famous Canadian like Alex Trebek or M. J. Fox. I don't really know music like that so I didn't know clapton wasn't american but I promise you all the music heads don't consider him american.

Sure Connery is an american actor maybe. sure Trebeck is an american staple but noone thinks of them when you ask for american icons. They're more of icons that are IN america.

All this classic rock talk made me come up with a good joke:

Raise your hand if your mom DIDN'T fuck Bob Seger? No hands? Wow!

[quote name='Wolfkin']good jesus yes that list is WAY too long to not have a spoiler tag every 5 videos.[/QUOTE]

It's my intent to overwhelm the populace. :p

And since I'm obviously biased, I've kept one particular added tag... \\:D/

[quote name='olde_english']I love me some Bon Scott singing Whole Lotta Rosie or The Jack live. Up there with DLR and Robert Plant for best rock frontman ever?[/QUOTE]

Bon Scott is definitely one of the best. He's irreplaceable IMO. Johnson's done a good job, but he doesn't even come close to Bon.

I still love AC/DC after many years of listening to them. I am burned out on Led Zepelin and Pink Floyd though.

bread's done
Back