I got banned from Kotaku :(

shosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I commented on one of their reviews of a game and totally got banned. I noticed the game I was interested in that was reviewed had no criticisms. There was no "Hated" section of the review that generally follows the "Loved" section of an article. So I said "wheres the criticism? I think MS paid you". Then the writer of the article totally banned me. I find it funny that the thing that approved me to be a commentator was a comment I made telling the writer what a great review that was.

Even though that comment was more of a joke, I really do question the integrity of the site. It seems to be a huge site where even steam carries their articles. But the content seems to be complete crap and the writing is even worse. I mean why are there articles on how to hack or mod systems?

[quote name='FroMann']Kotaku sucks, why would you go there for gaming news?[/QUOTE]
well they are on steam now, and im a huge fanboy of what valve does.

and i don't know where to go. ign and gamespot seem too bloated.

[quote name='shosh']well they are on steam now, and im a huge fanboy of what valve does.

and i don't know where to go. ign and gamespot seem too bloated.[/QUOTE]
Joystiq.

Yeah, the guys at Kotaku can't take any sort of criticism.

Journalistic intergrity. lol.

Does anyone have a link to that story where a CAG posted a hoax in his blog as part of a contest and Kotaku copied it as news?

Anyway, Giantbomb or Neogaf for me. Say what you will about Neogaf, it's the best place for the most up to date information.

wow, didn't know there was so much kotaku hate. i probably would've sense that in their comments section if they didn't delete/ban critical commentators.

oh and btw, i totally got another account approved for comment by sucking up to the same reviewer.

[quote name='FroMann']Kotaku sucks, why would you go there for gaming news?[/QUOTE]

This. Seriously, have some self-respect people.

The whole Gawker network is horrible and has no journalistic integrity. Kotaku ran a story on how to mod your Wii, deadspin has run certain stories that show they only care about page views, not journalistic integrity, and gizmondo buys stolen property.

Siliconera and Sankakucomplex for gaming news is the only way to go if you're as wapanese as I am.

If you're not... Joystiq, I guess? Not really much choice.

So...telling a writer he's being paid off is grounds for a ban. What a shocking surprise. :roll:

[quote name='panzerfaust']i visit kotaku for the news, regardless of how terrible their articles actually are.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much the only reason I go too. I don't care for their editorials, but standard news stuff is fine. I can't say its better than joystick or any other gaming blogs though, as I don't go to other blogs.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']The whole Gawker network is horrible and has no journalistic integrity. Kotaku ran a story on how to mod your Wii, deadspin has run certain stories that show they only care about page views, not journalistic integrity, and gizmondo buys stolen property.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, definitely don't like that part at all. They try to pass it off as a way to backup your games, but we all know what the majority of folks do with that mod.

[quote name='eddie291']So...telling a writer he's being paid off is grounds for a ban. What a shocking surprise. :roll:

Pretty much the only reason I go too. I don't care for their editorials, but standard news stuff is fine. I can't say its better than joystick or any other gaming blogs though, as I don't go to other blogs.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe the guy really was paid off and shosh struck a nerve...

Kotaku banned me too. I didn't know they were so rampant about it lmao. They posted a music video related to video games, and all I said was that it sucked and it didn't deserve it's own article. Boom, I got banned. hardly been back since. Joystiq is better anyways.

Kotaku 'editors' are very thin-skinned and quick to weild their banhammer. I used to have a gold star, whatever that means, and they took it away with no explanation.

You can't just arbitrarily give out meaningless awards and then TAKE THEM AWAY!!!

[quote name='eddie291']So...telling a writer he's being paid off is grounds for a ban. What a shocking surprise. :roll:

Pretty much the only reason I go too. I don't care for their editorials, but standard news stuff is fine. I can't say its better than joystick or any other gaming blogs though, as I don't go to other blogs.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, its like amazon banning people for criticizing the kindle. You lose integrity that way. I bet if i started criticizing shipwreck here about his game reviews, i wouldn't get banned (maybe a thrashing by users). i rather not be a kiss ass and say what i feel. i thought thats what comments were all about.

So when someone comes here to do the "I got banned from gamfaqs" they get bitched at for posting pointless shit, but getting banned from kotaku isnt? Im confused.

Besides, who cares if you got banned from it? Its just a internet site and its not like you cant still browse it. SO what if you cant post there anymore.

[quote name='GuardianE']Say what you will about Neogaf, it's where Kotaku gets all their news.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I stopped going to Kotaku over a month ago. The way they treat their community is despicable. Crecente is always preaching "It's the community and comments that make the site!" Yet each editor is so quick to ban someone that makes a comment that criticizes their work.

Kotaku a mockery of journalism. They claim to be the next step in the evolution of the industry, but I bet not one of the editors could recite to you the duties of journalists.

I quit going to that POS site a few months ago.

I go mainly to joystiq now.

What ever happened to Magic Box? That used to be the big shit years ago.

I wish NeoGAF would go under and there would be another video game forum that wasn't modded by trigger-happy 20 year olds.

[quote name='gargus']So when someone comes here to do the "I got banned from gamfaqs" they get bitched at for posting pointless shit, but getting banned from kotaku isnt? Im confused.[/QUOTE]

I wonder where the "I got banned from CAG" threads turn up ?

I didn't realize that Kotaku had so much hate either...

I knew in their reviews they try to keep it like unbiased by not giving scores, but when you have NOTHING bad written, one would interpret that as a perfect game, no?

What about that kinocetara site, with the black background and green dinosaours? That one is rare but it seems good. And that giant bomb site.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I didn't see where he said he got banned, but he is one whiny little kid.[/QUOTE]
He was banned, which is why he's whining about CAG and CheapyD on there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He was banned, which is why he's whining about CAG and CheapyD on there.[/QUOTE]
I remember that guy, quite annoying. I could be wrong but CAG has seemed like a place that isn't super quick on the banhammer, outside of spam accounts. Of the 7-8 users I can think of that have been banned, they had it coming and it had been building for a while. Kotaku on the other hand would probably ban you for thinking negative things about their site if they could control it. Have no real use for Kotaku myself.

I'm personally waiting for the day that Sony completely bans me from PSN for calling their fine programmers code monkeys repeatedly in response to their shitty garbageware updates they've been putting out.

I've already noticed that more than 50% of my posts on their silly little FW blogs never even show up, so I guess they're already censoring me, even though I've never once used a swear word or even a masked one.

It's just hilarious though since 90% of the posts on those blogs are kissing Sony's ass and the other 10% are usually either censored or come up as 'deleted by admin'.:lol:

[quote name='JP']I remember that guy, quite annoying. I could be wrong but CAG has seemed like a place that isn't super quick on the banhammer, outside of spam accounts. Of the 7-8 users I can think of that have been banned, they had it coming and it had been building for a while. Kotaku on the other hand would probably ban you for thinking negative things about their site if they could control it. Have no real use for Kotaku myself.[/QUOTE]
Depends on the poster, but he's trolled Cheapy himself and had been silenced before, so he knew how to get the attention of the people that could do something him.

Cheapest, do you use links in your posts on Sony's blog at all?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Cheapest, do you use links in your posts on Sony's blog at all?[/QUOTE]
Not at all. Though I have called the programmers code monkeys, the firmware garbageware and junkware and I've called the other people on the blogs begging for 'cross game chat' whiners before, among other things.

I just find it hilarious that any criticism of their products is immediate grounds for the complete disappearance of any posts I make.:roll:

[quote name='shosh']Yeah, its like amazon banning people for criticizing the kindle. You lose integrity that way. I bet if i started criticizing shipwreck here about his game reviews, i wouldn't get banned (maybe a thrashing by users). i rather not be a kiss ass and say what i feel. i thought thats what comments were all about.[/QUOTE]

Isn't there a huge difference between criticizing a review and accusing someone of (from what I understand) illegal activity? One is sorta slanderous. Probably could even be sued over it if they felt like it, in all honesty. You hear those stories all the time about people posting reviews of restaurants and saying things they cant responsibly say. Just my two cents.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not at all. Though I have called the programmers code monkeys, the firmware garbageware and junkware and I've called the other people on the blogs begging for 'cross game chat' whiners before, among other things.

I just find it hilarious that any criticism of their products is immediate grounds for the complete disappearance of any posts I make.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Maybe they're just tired of the same old story... no offense buddy, but I've heard you "speak your mind" on everything about four times over.

[quote name='Nova_01']Isn't there a huge difference between criticizing a review and accusing someone of (from what I understand) illegal activity? One is sorta slanderous. Probably could even be sued over it if they felt like it, in all honesty. You hear those stories all the time about people posting reviews of restaurants and saying things they cant responsibly say. Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]
influencing reviews isn't anything new and nothing illegal. don't you remember that guy that got fired for writing that kane and lynch review that blasted the game? But gamespot fired the guy because the game's publishers were buying major adspace on their site.

and it was a half joke anyway that owen took way to seriously. it was just probably bad writing and he totally forgot the hated section of his article. it was for monday night combat fyi.

So was "I think MS paid you" the punchline of the joke?

Also I feel like I should add that the guy you're talking about now runs a favorite gaming site of mine, Giant Bomb.

Kotaku filters out anything remotely questionable about their site, editors, and content. If you kiss their ass enough you'll get a star. They're fake in so many ways. I got a good laugh from their recent botching of Gran Turismo 5 loading times where they never admitted they were 100% wrong. They skittered around it.

[quote name='gargus']So when someone comes here to do the "I got banned from gamfaqs" they get bitched at for posting pointless shit, but getting banned from kotaku isnt? Im confused.

Besides, who cares if you got banned from it? Its just a internet site and its not like you cant still browse it. SO what if you cant post there anymore.[/QUOTE]

Aren't bans from gamefaqs due to trigger happy mods? That makes Kotaku editors their equal. I think people are mad because Kotaku bans people for stuff people should not be banned for, it's just censorship to make themselves look good.

[quote name='shosh']owen good runs giantbomb? i thought he was just some reject regulated to weekend duty. huh[/QUOTE]

I believe he was talking about the guy who got fired from Gamespot for his Kane and Lynch review, Jeff Gerstmann.

I used to be pretty indifferent towards Kotaku, but then I started reading the Game Journalists are Incompetent Farkwits blog http://gamejournos.tumblr.com/. I started noticing all the posts that have nothing to do with games at all, posts that consist of an image/movie found on another site, or posts made by Bashcraft about Japanese schoolgirls. I now feel kinda dirty any time I click on one of their articles and helping them generate profit.

[quote name='eastshore4']Maybe they're just tired of the same old story... no offense buddy, but I've heard you "speak your mind" on everything about four times over.[/QUOTE]
There is an 'ignore' function on CAG, you know. ;)

The thing that would help all of the off-topic posts on Kotaku is an option to not show certain types of articles on an account level. I know you can do the stupid Not:Tag thing with the url, but that requires work on the part of the user when it should be a simple option on every user's account.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']The whole Gawker network is horrible and has no journalistic integrity. Kotaku ran a story on how to mod your Wii, deadspin has run certain stories that show they only care about page views, not journalistic integrity, and gizmondo buys stolen property.[/QUOTE]
I have to disagree about ALL of the Gawker. I very much appreciate and respect the writers who write on Lifehacker and their posts.

[quote name='flufflogic']I have to disagree about ALL of the Gawker. I very much appreciate and respect the writers who write on Lifehacker and their posts.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Let's face it, you probably deserved to get banned.

I was also banned from Kotaku. Made a comment about a poorly written and researched story. When I contacted them to clarify the reason for my ban, they stated that I posted "unfair criticism" and that their site is a "gaming blog" and not a "news source."

So basically, Kotaku is a communist organization with Nazi-esque values. It must be destroyed.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I was also banned from Kotaku. Made a comment about a poorly written and researched story. When I contacted them to clarify the reason for my ban, they stated that I posted "unfair criticism" and that their site is a "gaming blog" and not a "news source."

So basically, Kotaku is a communist organization with Nazi-esque values. It must be destroyed.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

you know whats really weird joystiq and kotaku have the exact same post about the same thing at the same time, makes me think if they either copy off eachother or they got a undercover blogger in either blogger sites.

bread's done
Back