Mass Effect 2 coming to PS3 January 2011

hope it comes with a ton of extras, as everyone has beaten it and its pretty much in the clearance bin now.

Day late and a dollar short. What's the point if you can't import a Shepard from ME1? I guess it is good that more people will get to play this fantastic game though...

Big win for ps3, i'm glad they deserve it. Well bigger win for Mass Effect 3 if they have a concurrent release with 360. Still though for people who have multisystems, will probaly just stick with the 360 version due to all the carry over plotlines. Sad because i'm sure it will be the nicest looking ps3 game there is.

[quote name='Dasflikko']What's the point if you can't import a Shepard from ME1?[/QUOTE]

The game can stand on its own... I didn't import a guy from ME1 (never really played it) but I enjoyed the few hours of ME2 that I did play.

There's a ton of nuance that carries over from ME1 to ME2. So yes ME2 can indeed stand on its own, but it's a crying shame that PS3 owners will not get the chance to craft their unique personal story over the entire trilogy.

Also I personally think the overall narrative of the first game is a bit stronger than the second. It's good news that the game is coming out on PS3, but very bittersweet if you ask me.

Hopefully Bioware can do something with the character codes they offered in Mass Effect 2, and make them work as a cloud save instead of just importing what your character looks like. Doubt it, but I can hope.

I hope it comes cheap. I still haven't picked up the PC version, but I would love the PS3 version for $20-$30, or $40 for the bundle.

Great news for PS3 owners. For a person who never played the first game, I thoroughly enjoyed ME2.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I hope it comes cheap. I still haven't picked up the PC version, but I would love the PS3 version for $20-$30, or $40 for the bundle.[/QUOTE]

$40 is my guess for initial cost. I don't think they announced a bundle, just ME2.

[quote name='guardian_owl']So what major exclusives does that leave for Xbox now, Halo, Gears of War, Forza, and Alan Wake?[/QUOTE]

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2.

Anyone who thinks this won't be $60 is just kidding themselves. It will most likely include the DLC releases to try to justify full price. While this won't flop as bad as Bioshock did, not including the first game just killed any chance this had of being a true hit for EA.

Would I be correct in saying that MS published the first ME? If that's the case, I'd hold out no hope that the first one ever makes it to PS3. As soon as the EA deal went through, ME exclusivity became an actual question... that I suppose we just got answered.

I have to agree with both groups here... yes, it's great that now everyone can play a ME game, but it's a shame that it's only the 2nd one and a year late. How'd the original BioShock do on the PS3, which had a similar late release on PS3?

Either way, I'd be surprised if ME3 launches day one on both consoles, as this indicates that there's at least some exclusivity window for the 360. Since they knew it was always intended to be a trilogy, and one they were always hoping to get done this generation, I'd assume that MS probably set the terms for both ME2 and 3 at the same time.

[quote name='007']Would I be correct in saying that MS published the first ME? If that's the case, I'd hold out no hope that the first one ever makes it to PS3. As soon as the EA deal went through, ME exclusivity became an actual question... that I suppose we just got answered.

I have to agree with both groups here... yes, it's great that now everyone can play a ME game, but it's a shame that it's only the 2nd one and a year late. How'd the original BioShock do on the PS3, which had a similar late release on PS3?

Either way, I'd be surprised if ME3 launches day one on both consoles, as this indicates that there's at least some exclusivity window for the 360. Since they knew it was always intended to be a trilogy, and one they were always hoping to get done this generation, I'd assume that MS probably set the terms for both ME2 and 3 at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Yes, ME was published by MS for the 360 so it's unlikely going to come to the PS3. But it's not impossible. Ninja Gaiden 2 was published by MS, but was later released on the PS3 (to the surprise of many) as Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma. So it's possible EA could make some changes and re-release it. EA did publish the PC version.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']Yes, ME was published by MS for the 360 so it's unlikely going to come to the PS3. But it's not impossible. Ninja Gaiden 2 was published by MS, but was later released on the PS3 (to the surprise of many) as Ninja Gaiden Sigma. So it's possible EA could make some changes and re-release it. EA did publish the PC version.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks. Wasn't aware of the exact intricacies of it.

Still, the sheer fact that they announced ME2 with no mention of ME1 isn't a great sign.

[quote name='jaredstorm']This is stupid. Plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

lol @ angry Xbox fanboys.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Left 4 Dead 1 & 2.[/QUOTE]

Those aren't really exclusive as they're also available on PC as well.

Remember folks, EA published ME1 on PC.

My bet is the PS3 gets something to get content from ME1 into ME2, like Wrex.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']Actually, with Valve's announcement of steam coming to PS3, Xbox looses those too[/QUOTE]

Steam isn't coming to the PS3...Portal 2 is, and it'll have Steamworks support. Big difference.

IE Left 4 Dead beta version and L4D complete. I'm still pissed at Valve for that one.

Perhaps they'll be able to skirt it by making ME1 a downloadable PSN or more likely ME Sigma disc release. Could be they believe since ME1 is so old the sales it would receive on PS3 would not be worth the process required to convert it, especially if ME2 is being released around the same time. We'll just have to wait and see closer to January.

[quote name='nbballard']So are ME 1&2[/QUOTE]

And Alan Wake. And (some) Halos. And Fable. You'd think MS had something to do with that platform too, huh?

[quote name='guardian_owl']IE Left 4 Dead beta version and L4D complete. I'm still pissed at Valve for that one.

Perhaps they'll be able to skirt it by making ME1 a downloadable PSN or more likely ME Sigma disc release. Could be they believe since ME1 is so old the sales it would receive on PS3 would not be worth the process required to convert it, especially if ME2 is being released around the same time. We'll just have to wait and see closer to January.[/QUOTE]

I enjoy them as separate entities. Besides, I look at the alternative where I could be milked for $20 DLCs and the title never budging from launch price like some other prominent FPSs and I don't feel so bad.

Don't see L4D2 ever coming to the PS3. Despite what Gabe said, I feel he still doesn't like the PS3 much. Now if there's ever a L4D3, I could see it arriving on the PS3, possibly a few months after the 360 version (if not at the same time).

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm glad everyone gets to play this AMAZING game, but it also kind of sucks. Now, I'm not a fanboy, though I do only have a 360 and love it, but there is something to be said for console pride here. When I look at the list of exclusives on the 360, I'm proud that I can list games like ME2. Now, I can't do that. EA is just going to milk the series for all it's worth, it looks like, so I hope the third doesn't suffer for it.

@ the L4D talk: Valve said a while back that they don't plan on making many games for PS3, as they feel it's harder to develop for. I don't see many Valve games coming, especially ones that have a large 360 fanbase.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I have mixed feelings about this. I'm glad everyone gets to play this AMAZING game, but it also kind of sucks. Now, I'm not a fanboy, though I do only have a 360 and love it, but there is something to be said for console pride here. When I look at the list of exclusives on the 360, I'm proud that I can list games like ME2. Now, I can't do that. EA is just going to milk the series for all it's worth, it looks like, so I hope the third doesn't suffer for it.[/QUOTE]

Milk the series? Did it ever occur to you that MS paid EA/Bioware for timed exclusivity from the start? You know, just like they did with Bioshock, GTAIV DLC, Star Ocean IV, and so on. MS is notorious for giving devs money to get "console exclusives" which turn out to be just timed exclusives in disguise

Okay, but you can't tell me that this decision wasn't made by EA. They used to be the worst for milking stuff til it was dry. What's to stop them from doing it again, especially with a game that recieved Excellent reviews and PS3 owners would love to play. All I'm saying, is that this decision was made purely with the thought of more cash flow.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Milk the series? Did it ever occur to you that MS paid EA/Bioware for timed exclusivity from the start? You know, just like they did with Bioshock, GTAIV DLC, Star Ocean IV, and so on. MS is notorious for giving devs money to get "console exclusives" which turn out to be just timed exclusives in disguise[/QUOTE]

Both sides are guilty of that. The Metal Gear Solid series is one example.

Sweet, I already own the first one through Steam but my Computer can't run it. Will the first one be out anytime soon?

That is on the PC so it is not an Xbox exclusive.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Both sides are guilty of that. The Metal Gear Solid series is one example.[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate? Are you talking about Metal Gear Rising coming to the 360? That's no indication of Sony paying for timed exclusivity. MGS4 is still a PS3 exclusive and that's not going to change. They don't own the Metal Gear franchise itself. Were you talking about older games?

[quote name='FroMann']
That is on the PC so it is not an Xbox exclusive.[/QUOTE]

As are most of them. It's not relevant because they are both MS platforms.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can you elaborate? Are you talking about Metal Gear Rising coming to the 360? That's no indication of Sony paying for timed exclusivity. MGS4 is still a PS3 exclusive and that's not going to change. They don't own the Metal Gear franchise itself. Were you talking about older games?[/QUOTE]

Yes, MGS2 on xbox. It also happened with Assassin's Creed, GTA and FFXIII. The PS3 has had its share of exclusive DLC too.

[quote name='Anexanhume']And Alan Wake.[/QUOTE]

PC Alan Wake was cancelled. It's one of the very few *ONLY* 360 exclusives.

On that note, I hate that "It's on PC, so it's not exclusive!" argument. We're still in an age where PC and console gaming are still viewed as two different things, so it's not a great argument. This is just me, but I have 13 systems hooked up, and haven't played a game on my PC since 'Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis'. Before that, it was probably 'WarCraft 2'.

I've always found that it's a lot easier to explain game exclusivity to someone by referencing consoles over PC. Go ahead and tell someone that Gears of War 3 won't be exclusive... I guarantee their first thought is that it'll be on PS3, *not* PC. These platforms just aren't viewed the same way.

Ha, for some reason this didn't even register as pretty big news when I was skimming forums. Makes sense since DAO was multiplatform.

Cool to see it coming to the PS3, but I already played through it on the 360, so I doubt I'll want to go through everything again simply because it's on another platform.

I have ME and ME2 on PC, and while I'd love to play some more killer titles on my PS3 -- playing on PC feels a lot better with these kind of games.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Congratulations PS3 owners, you're getting the Game of Forever :cool:[/QUOTE]

Game of the Forever is held by Resident Evil 4. That's not changing anytime soon.

bread's done
Back