Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One - New Co-op Platformer Coming 10/18/11 From Insomniac NC

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/17/ratchetandclankall4one/
Hi everyone. My name is Chad Dezern and I’m the Studio Director at Insomniac Games’ North Carolina studio. I’m here to share some exciting news. We’ve been hammering away in our secret shack in the middle of the woods since January 2009. Now it’s time to emerge into the sunlight and hold our creation aloft. It’s alive.

We’re excited to announce that we’re hard at work on the first ever one-to-four player cooperative, online/offline, drop-in/drop-out Ratchet & Clank title, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One!

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/1165/

We knew from our earliest meetings that we wanted to give players a chance to play in the Ratchet Universe with Ratchet and Clank at the same time. And after we started, we felt an almost moral obligation to include Captain Qwark and Dr. Nefarious; there was just too much comedy potential in bringing this group together for us to pass up the opportunity. Their bumbling idiocy, prickly antagonism, and unfettered evil was a perfect reflection of how we play All 4 One here in the office. I’m looking forward to telling the story of how the four of them find themselves together . . .

The game is about cooperative play through and through. We want to make it easy to get together with friends and family, get in a game and have fun in the Ratchet universe. We’re working hard to capture the feeling of fighting through amazing battles with other players, whether they are on the couch next to you or playing online half-a-world away.

Our official reveal happened at the PlayStation Press Conference during gamescom in Cologne, Germany. We will be following up with a panel at Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle on September 4. There, I’ll be joined by other Insomniacs: North Carolina Production Director Shaun McCabe, Senior Writer TJ Fixman, and Senior Community Manager James Stevenson. We’ll talk about all things Ratchet (including comics and action figures), and we’ll show all of the content from our announcement.

We can’t wait to show you more of the game. We feel like the game we want to make lines up perfectly with the game our fans want to see–the time is right for Ratchet coop! Keep an eye out for more info in the coming months. Don’t miss a thing: follow @InsomniacGames on Twitter, and sign up for our community and newsletter on InsomniacGames.com to stay up-to-date with new announcements.

So long for now, we’ll talk more soon.

19:11 James Gallagher: Special guest now coming onto the stage - it's Ted Price of Insomniac Games.
19:11 James Gallagher: They're going to announce their newest game.
19:12 James Gallagher: He's talking about how their development philosophy is evolving and that they now have longer development cycles.
19:13 James Gallagher: It's a new Ratchet and Clank!
19:14 James Gallagher: Ratchet is on-screen - and there's Clank.
19:14 James Gallagher: It's going to be a co-op game where players can control Ratchet, Clank, Quark and Nefarious.
19:15 James Gallagher: It's drop in drop out and it has a 'competitive edge'.
19:15 James Gallagher: You can throw each other around, for better or worse.
19:16 James Gallagher: You can combine attacks together to make them more powerful
19:17 James Gallagher: It's kicking off now and they're fighting enemies on a bridge.
19:17 James Gallagher: There's a puzzle where each player must turn a screw to progress.
19:18 James Gallagher: You have a kind of rope that you can use to link onto other players while swinging and jumping.
19:20 James Gallagher: It's called Ratchet and Clank All 4 one.
From the Insomniac Twitter:
We are ecstatic to announce Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One - 4-player online and same screen drop in drop out co-op coming to PS3 in Fall 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Now with a trailer!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/17/ratchetandclankall4one/

4898350381_4453e0840e.jpg

What is with the change in character design? This looks more like a downloadable game really. I think A Crack in Time was meant to end the games story, this is just for added fun.

[quote name='FroMann']What is with the change in character design? This looks more like a downloadable game really. I think A Crack in Time was meant to end the games story, this is just for added fun.[/QUOTE]
As evidenced by the lack of Future in the title, I'm guessing that this is made by a smaller team at Insomniac with co-op in mind. I don't get what's so bad about the visuals.

Also:
Media
Blu-ray Disc

http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/ratchet_clank/all_4_one

I wonder if the game can be played solo? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play co-op, but I wonder if playing solo is an option... Guess it's too soon to say, really. ;)

Insomniac has never let me down in the past so I know the wait will be worth it. Has there been any mention of the multi-platform game they're said to be working on?

I really hope that this one has some kind of deathmatch/online competitive multiplayer.

I felt that the PS3 games were inferior to the later PS2 titles because they stripped out something I was really looking forward to and expecting out of the next gen games - like they took one step forward on the graphics, but two steps back in the quality/quantity of the gameplay.

Yes! I'll grab my two members of family and one friend to stick up together with me on Co-op story. I can't wait to see it!

[quote name='ssjmichael']Jeeze, Fall 2011? More than a year away. They might as well have waited till E3 2011 to announce this.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that will take a long time for me to wait.

The first direct feed footage of All 4 One with commentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4f6untR_Y

The PAX All 4 One Panel is available to watch on G4TV's website:

http://g4tv.com/videos/48497/PAX-2010-Insomniac-Panel/

There's also a new blog on the Insomniac site to answer some questions about All 4 One:
Hey Ratchet fans!
This is Chad Dezern. I'm the Studio Director at the North Carolina studio. We hope you enjoyed our announcement of Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One at GamesCom, in Cologne, Germany last week. We're ecstatic to finally get the word out as this really is the game we've wanted to make for a long time.

We've heard from many of you since the announcement. I can't talk about everything just yet (we're saving a lot for future announcements), but I'll do my best to answer the most frequent questions.

Does All 4 One support offline? Online?

Yes and Yes! We're making it easy to jump into the game and have fun. Your friends can be next to you on the couch, half a world away, or any combination of the two (2 players on a couch in Kentucky can play with 2 players on a sofa in Singapore, for instance).

Can you play All 4 One with fewer than four players?

Certainly. We're supporting any configuration of 1 to 4 players. The game scales to make it fun with any number of players, and any play group has access to all of the content.

For the one player game, we let you choose an AI pal to keep the feeling of teamwork alive. We're working hard to make sure your AI friend is genuinely helpful and fun to play with.

Is the story in All 4 One part of the Ratchet canon?

Absolutely. Veteran Ratchet & Clank scribe TJ Fixman is on board again for this installment. He's written an epic galactic adventure that has mystery, suspense, adventure, heart, and some borderline inappropriate dialogue from Captain Qwark involving a platypus.

The new comic series (also written by TJ) covers the events between A Crack in Time and All 4 One. Call your local comic store (or grab the digital version from the PlayStation Network) and check it out!

Why is Dr. Nefarious now a good guy?

Doctor Nefarious is most assuredly not a good guy. He's an evil criminal mastermind at his core. But he's an opportunist, and in the right circumstances he'll work with his arch-enemies to save his own skin, especially if this comes at expense of the arch-enemies who happen to be Squishes.

We like the mismatched group because it creates tension. Around here, we play the game with a healthy dose of spite and competition, and that's just how our main characters would react to their plight. We also liked the look of these four characters together; Nefarious' robotic skeleton contrasts nicely with furry Ratchet, metallic Clank, and muscle-bound Qwark.

Are there weapons in All for One?

Ohhhh yeah! Insane and powerful weapons are an important part of any Ratchet game. The weapons in All 4 One are all about coop; they're powerful alone, but the devastating effects happen when you coordinate with other players. We showed an early-level weapon called the Elasti-Shock in our demo. We have many others in all stages of development from blueprint to production model, and we'll show more in the months ahead.

How does the camera work?

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One uses a single screen for both offline and online regardless of the number of players. Our camera system gets as close as possible when players are next to each other and moves out when players move apart. For the online game the camera weight will be biased toward the local players, but the fundamental feel will be the same.

Early on, we knew that we wanted to make a single-camera co-op experience. That way every player can focus on the same big screen to catch all of the action--it just feels more like team coordination with a shared camera. Also, this camera type is something we've wanted to try for a long time for aesthetic reasons. We can flow seamlessly between game and story moments and we can increase the detail and the quality of the visuals. It's a fun system that opens up possibilities for all kinds of big in-game events.

Why do the characters look different?

When we started prototyping we dropped in the most recent character models from A Crack in Time. Individually, the models looked great. But together they were unbalanced. Ratchet didn't stand out against the background, Clank was too tiny to see onscreen, and Qwark didn't look proportionally correct relative to the other characters. That's all completely understandable, as they were never meant to be seen as a set of 4 playable characters onscreen at the same time.

So Dave and Greg (the guys who designed the original models dating back to the ps2 Ratchet games) tweaked form and color until we had a group that worked well together. Emphasis on the word "tweaked," the changes are actually fairly small, and we worked hard to keep the essence of each character intact.

Which team is making the game?

Insomniac North Carolina, mostly. In 2009, we opened up a new studio in Durham, North Carolina. We wanted to make more games, and we liked the idea of starting up a new location as an alternative for talented developers who wanted to stay on the east coast.

We started the studio with several key team members from previous Ratchet titles, including artists, sound designers, programmers, and a designer. Then we hired some very talented and capable newcomers. The result is a group that merges experience with fresh ideas, which is exactly what we want for this game. We're in a great spot; we have the excitement of a startup, but we also have access to unlimited expertise from the team in Burbank. The Burbank team supplies core engine technology, cinematics animation, community support, and more.

Is there anything else you want to tell us? (okay, I made this question up)

Some of our biggest fans have exclaimed, "I love Ratchet and Clank! Why would you ever change the formula?"

We love the Ratchet series too. But at the same time, we felt like we needed to change things up a bit to keep it fresh for us so we're not solving the same problems over and over. A focus on co-op is a perfect solution. Many fans have asked for this for years, and when we started brainstorming it was clear that we had more ideas than we could ever use (always a good sign).

We're making the best possible co-op Ratchet and Clank game. By necessity, that involves tweaking the formula. Simply dropping in more players doesn't equal instant fun. We have to consider the camera, the amount of action onscreen, and how players interact with the game, and each other. We want you to feel the rush of team play, and to feel powerful when you work together instead of merely playing side-by-side.

So co-op is central to the design. At the same time, we're not just making changes for the sake of it--the main attributes of the series that we know and love are intact. Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One has a sprawling story, explosive weapons, wildly varied alien locations, and unbridled ridiculousness.

Really, when it comes right down to it, the reason we are making Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One is because we're excited about the potential of a co-op Ratchet game. You'd be able to tell immediately if that wasn't the case and we all know this. We're working hard to get a new Ratchet & Clank adventure in your hands in Fall 2011. We can't wait to show you more and we really can't wait for you to play it.

That's all for now! Keep sending questions and comments, we love to hear from you.

--Chad

I'm happy they're disclosing all this info, but have to agree with the 'WTF' with the timing. How about they get us excited about something coming out this year, and not next fall/winter.

A new trailer from the PlayStation event in Europe:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/710021.html

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/01/resistance-3-and-ratchet-clank-all-4-one-update/

Some info from the PS Blog post:
Ratchet, Clank, Qwark and Dr. Nefarious must cross through a dangerous Seaside Village on Planet Magnus to reach their next destination. The fearsome foursome will have to use several weapons in their arsenal, including the returning Combuster and the Warmonger rocket launcher. In All 4 One, when players combine to use the same weapon, such as the storm-cloud generating Thundersmack, they can create even more devastating effects. But players can also specialize and use different weapons, such as when one player uses the Arc Lasher kinetic energy whip to stun an enemy while allies blast it with their own weapons. The choice is up to you and your friends in All 4 One as you explore and try to unravel the mysteries of the Creature Collector.

[quote name='whoknows']I don't know why but I was under the impression this is a Move game.

You can play this with a DS3, right?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='CaptainJoel']Yeah, I thought this was a Move game, too. Don't think I'll pick this up on release... I'll wait till it reaches $20.[/QUOTE]
All 4 One's never been a Move game, but I'm guessing that you're thinking of PlayStation Move Heroes.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...st-and-the-mystery-of-the-creature-collector/

New trailer and info:
Video: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/1780/2.603

Yesterday in Los Angeles, we presented a new demo of Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One to an audience of US and European journalists. While we presented some new levels and weapons/gadgets, we also wanted to show once again that All 4 One is a sprawling new Ratchet & Clank adventure, with a full story, big arsenal, and tons of co-op mayhem. Further, in All 4 One, we like to say there’s an “I” in team: work together, but reward yourself. You all have to help each other out, but at the same time, the winner will earn the best rewards and get the first chance to buy the newest weapons in the game.

We illustrated this in a new level of the game, set in the Terawatt Forest on Planet Magnus. It’s the home of a scientist named Dr. Croid — who holds the key to the mystery of the Creature Collector. The plants and animals here are mutated thanks to the presence of a strange meteor – and players will also have to look out for Dr. Croid’s giant Guardian robots that patrol the area (which you’ll see in the video above!).

As we showed previously, all the weapons have a co-op function to them. For instance, if everyone uses the new Darkstar Fission Rifle at the same time, it amplifies the effect – and we give players a bolt multiplier for co-op kills. But we also reward players for specializing. For instance, Ratchet can use the Arc Lasher to stun enemies while Clank finishes them off with the War Monger rocket launcher.

Many of you have asked if each of the characters will play differently in All 4 One. For the first time yesterday, we showed that each of our characters will have a special gadget that only they can use. These gadgets are special, powerful, and can turn the tide of a battle. For instance, Ratchet can use his Doppelbanger ability to create a decoy that draws enemy fire – but it’ll also upgrade over time into a powerful Turret. Clank, meanwhile, has a Time Bomb that highlights his Zoni heritage and also allows him to slow a fast enemy or extend the amount of time the team has to revive a fallen comrade.

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One is on course for a Fall 2011 release and can be played in stereoscopic 3D by one to four players, with drop-in, drop-out co-op that can be enjoyed same-screen or online (and in any combination of online/same-screen players as well!). To keep up with all the latest, stay tuned to Insomniac’s Facebook and Twitter pages!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/20/ratchet-clank-all-4-one-releasing-october-18th/

All 4 One will be out on October 18th:

SCEA and Insomniac Games are happy to share the official box art for Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One and the Official North American Street Date (note the capital letters for each word – that means it’s important): October 18th, 2011!

We’ve also partnered with several retailers to offer up some pretty sweet preorder items including several fan favorites! Exciting? Definitely! Now you can rush out and preorder a copy of the game to enjoy on your own or with up to three other players. In case you didn’t catch the video, see the details for each of our retail partners below:

Turning enemies into farmyard animals not your style? Want a more prehistoric take on the Morph-O-Ray? Use this T-Rex Morph Weapon Mod to transform your enemies from dangerous threats into a baby dinosaur with this pre order from Amazon.

Fry your enemies up with this Kerchu-engineered flamethrower that offers your enemies two choices: regular or extra crispy in this pre order item available through Best Buy.

A Ratchet & Clank fan favorite, the hovering synthenoid Mr. Zurkon aids your team in battle by attacking enemies with his mounted laser while insulting and taunting them with his comedy-insult logic processor. You can pre order him today at GameStop.

And finally, the classic version of everyone’s favorite Ratchet & Clank weapon is back! Unlock the Sheepinator Morph Weapon Mod to transform even the fiercest aliens in the galaxy into harmless sheep with this pre order item available starting next week at WalMart.com.

We hope you find something you like and that you go out and pre order today through your favorite retailers! Keep an eye out here for new information on Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One as we get closer to launch!

Will you people shut up about buying from Gamestop already.... It's the same fucking price you're going to pay at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Amazon - and chances are, there's a gamestop closer to you than any of the other B&M options...

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Will you people shut up about buying from Gamestop already.... It's the same fucking price you're going to pay at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Amazon - and chances are, there's a gamestop closer to you than any of the other B&M options...[/QUOTE]

I was more referring to the fact I have to buy it somewhere specific to get Mr Zurkon.

And it's not the same price. I guarantee some retailer will have either a credit with the game or have it on sale the week it comes out. Gamestop is MSRP and that's it.

But if it'll make you keep whining then I'll say GS sucks just for fun.

[quote name='timesplitt']this is the game sega wished they had made with sonic heroes[/QUOTE]

Sonic Heroes wasn't a co-op game.

[quote name='whoknows']Sonic Heroes wasn't a co-op game.[/QUOTE] still when you played you had 3 characters with you, the characters that you brought along didn't really change things, and the 3 characters were "stuck" to each other.

with All4-One; here you get free roam within a distance, ratchet will use his wrench, clank will use his small size for something the big guy will crush things. (guessing here)

cant wait to try this out
looks like fun but wonder how the single plyer will work if you have no friends or just wanna play it by yourself.

most likely Gamestop as i want the Mr. Zurchon as he was always my favorite with his funny comments

i thought this "beta" was kinda so so. none of my team mates were really dumb or doing stuff that didnt help the team, it just felt kinda boring to play

I played one of the levels in the beta, which I enjoyed even though it plays a bit differently than a normal Ratchet game. They did a good job with the AI partner that pop up when necessary since they're not really autonomous.

[quote name='8bitArtist']i thought this "beta" was kinda so so. none of my team mates were really dumb or doing stuff that didnt help the team, it just felt kinda boring to play[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I don't like the static camera angles[/QUOTE]

I agree with both of these comments. After playing the beta, I came away with a negative impression of R&C A41. I think I'm going to wait until this game is much cheaper.

I don't think you're experiencing the full potential of this game if you're playing it with the cpu. Half of the fun is figuring out the best strategies in mowing down opponents, platforming, puzzle solving, and beating bosses/enemies with your friends. ie. Your friend using the freeze gun an you using the jackhammer weapon to destroy the enemies. Or fooling around and using the vacuum to kill your friend. :)

I enjoyed it and it made me anticipate the other levels. Not a must buy for me though.

I just downloaded the BETA yesterday and found out that it expired September 27th. Yay for the PlayStation Network and it's capped download speeds. -.-

bread's done
Back