Resistance 3 - Insomniac's Resurgence - 12/6: Co-op Returns w/Brutality Pack - $2.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbkXTSs3bvU

New trailers with some footage of the new demo that they're showing off in an event over in Europe:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/710093.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LuhjnmuZU

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/01/resistance-3-and-ratchet-clank-all-4-one-update/
Description of what's in the demo from their PS Blog post:
The Resistance 3 demo takes place in Haven, Oklahoma. Our new hero, former Sentinel Joseph Capelli, has taken up arms with his fellow Haven citizens to defend the town from Chimeran forces. The fighters are trying to buy enough time for an evacuation of Haven, as a Chimeran terraformer is closing on the city and threatens to wipe it off the map. As the battle wages on and the terraformer nears, you see the wind begin to pick up… and then the Chimeran Brawler arrives to turn the tide of the battle.
And some new screenshots here.

Info from the Game Informer cover feature:
Story/Basics:
-Definitive Spoiler of R2's ending:
Nathan Hale is Dead. The Chimera have won. America is dying. These are the first words that open the article to set the tone for the game.
-Joseph Capelli, the new hero, was Nathan's former lieutenant and fellow Sentinel in R2.
He is also the man that shot Nathan Hale to deliver on a promise.
-He was also in the Project Abraham alternate reality game.
-He defected from the military due to the futility of the war and tried to start a family in hiding. When his family is threatened by the encroaching Chimerans, he sets out on the trip of his life.
-Series Creator Ted Price is handing the reins for the game to former Resistance project manager Marcus Smith.
-Insomniac's goal for R3 is to embrace and polish the series' style of gunplay while trying to create an engaging drama of a man traveling to save his family.
-The Chimerans now occupy North America and the rest of the world and are focusing on exterminating the last remaining humans. They've also managed to cause temperatures to drop around the world.
-One of these attacks occurs in Haven, Oklahoma as survivors fought to defend their homes and this is where Joseph reunited with his wife,
who is apparently Nathan's stepsister from the Resistance novel
, and son.
-Their son is sick with the Chimeran virus, so Joseph must travel to New York to find the Hale vaccine that Dr. Malikov has told them about that was made from Nathan's blood. The Hale vaccine may also be a way to save the last remaining humans that can get the shot.
-Malikov joins Joseph on his journey, but is now older and is no longer able to fight alongside others.
-They're traveling across a flooded town towards St. Louis, Missouri as they see alien plant life and icy shafts that show that the Chimerans are terraforming the Earth.
-They later find the corpse of a Kraken sprawled out on a bridge as leapers chow down on its entrails, which are now feral and numerous now that they aren't domesticated any more.
-They approach a swollen river that is the Mississippi river heading towards St. Louis as they head a terrible noise rumbling from the distance. It's a Goliath bigger than the flooded city they just passed through that passes by and leaves and leaves Long Legs to fight you.
-After taking out the Long Legs, they move on to St. Louis as Joseph joins some cocky greasers in a fight to gain control of a Chimeran power cell, which they need to fuel their aircraft. The only way to get it is to take over a Chimeran Dropship and its many passengers.

Gameplay:
-Malikov tries to call for any survivors as they float by a motel, but only catch the attention of Grims that start to swarm the boat. They no longer are hindered by overheating problems with the artificially lowered temperatures.
-Joseph grabs his Marksman rifle and uses the alternate fire to drop an electrical turret on the boat's stern and then uses his Magnum handgun to fire remote detonated rounds into the mob. He cleans up the rest of the Grims with his Rossmore shotgun.
-They've gotten rid of the two-weapon system.
-Other weapons that are returning are the Bullseye and Auger. The army-issued guns are no longer around, as those basic guns are cobbled together scrap that's around in this post-apocalyptic world.
-You can earn points by using specific weapons that can be used to upgrade your weapons.
-They've reworked the enemy AI so that they no longer have impossible range, nor will they wait for you to cross the invisible line to start shooting at you. Now they will have a proximity-based system where you have a chance to get into cover to be a bit more stealthy, though they will search for you if you fire shots from out of their range.
-The Chimerans have a new animation system that allows them to get around the environment in more agile ways, like climbing into windows, jump railings, and down walls so they're not baffled by things like cover and walls.
-The Mutator is a new weapon that fires a green myst that causes bulbous cysts to erupt all over the Chimeran's body so they turn into a combustible land mine that infects nearby Chimerans. Its alternate fire shoots a mist that disorients nearby Chimerans so that you can mow them down. It can be upgraded so that the alternate fire causes them to go berserk and shoot their teammates.
-Long Legs are a new Chimeran type that is similar to a Hybrid but has longer legs (surprised?) that allow it to leap around and shoot at your from above. The bullseye's tag ability is a good way to take him out.
-They're reworking NPC AI so that they're much more useful and competent allies and not just guys that make it look like you're not as much of a one-man army as you really are.

Co-op:
-There will be co-op in the campaign for R3. The second player controls a character named John Harper, but nothing else is known about who he is.
-John won't have much of a presence in the story, as the co-op is more about letting two people play through the game together without worrying about justifying it in the story.
-The online co-op mode from R2 is not returning, as they're tightening their focus on making the campaign as good as possible.

Online Multiplayer:
-No real details other than suggesting that the 60 player battles probably won't be returning.
-They're streamlining the multiplayer experience down to the things that were most popular with Resistance 1 and 2.
-Weapon usage is a big one and the persistant progression through multiplayer is a lot tighter now.
-Multiplayer maps will be set all around the world, which you'll hear about the battles in those locations on the radio show that will be returning to the campaign.
-On the R2 Retrospective episode of the Full Moon Show, they mention the mistake of the 10k kills trophy and that they won't be doing that again for R3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to tell the truth, as much as I like Insomiac and the Spyro/Ratchet and Clank series. I have not played Resistance yet.

[quote name='FroMann']I'm going to tell the truth, as much as I like Insomiac and the Spyro/Ratchet and Clank series. I have not played Resistance yet.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame. The second one is really solid.

[quote name='mtxbass1']That's a shame. The second one is really solid.[/QUOTE]
Guess I'll have to pick it up some time then. I played the demo to the first one and it did not feel fun at all. Of course it was a launch game so I cannot slam it too much.

I'm really hoping they improve upon the multiplayer. R2's was disappointing, and it had it's share of technical problems. I hope they take a look at R1's multiplayer and work off of that.

What's the name of the song in the trailer?

If the trailer is anything more than a teaser trailer, I wonder if the people on the train that are shooting at the Chimera are a sign of co-op coming back to the single-player.

[quote name='FroMann']I'm going to tell the truth, as much as I like Insomiac and the Spyro/Ratchet and Clank series. I have not played Resistance yet.[/QUOTE]
Same with me. I've just never tried it.

Resistance 1 was very fun and I played it over 2 years after it had released. I hope they take the best elements from 1 and 2 and then innovate some beyond that.

I can't wait! The only thing that kept me from a Platinum on the second one was the 10k online kills trophy :bomb:

I never played R2 but the first one was phenomenal. I liked the co-op very much when I was playing with my cousin.

[quote name='Mad39er']I never played R2 but the first one was phenomenal. I liked the co-op very much when I was playing with my cousin.[/QUOTE]

R1 had a great single player campaign but R2's campaign was kinda weak. R2's co-op and MP modes were awesome though.

I feel the first one got way too much undeserved attention, simply because it was a launch title. So I'd hardly call it a great franchise but definitely one that can produce a potentially great 3rd installment.

[quote name='Vinny']Looks like Hale is not the main character in this game... it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.[/QUOTE]

The PSP version didn't star Hale, and figuring on what happened to him at the end of 2, it isn't to much of a reach for them to use someone else.

I think it is Capilli WITH HAIR in the images (who I ended up liking by the end of the game). These pics taken from the teaser I found at this site also add to my belief it is him. At least comparing the clothing and the shoulder strap on both the teaser and images. >>>The lack of a scar, and his uniform, could that mean it is a prequel? Or someone else completely haha..

I think the SP in 2 got a bit to "Star War-ish". Even had force power at the end. I liked the gritty, survivalist atmosphere of the first game more. Both were great, but it looks like they might be going back to that.

Mild spoiler if you didn't finish Resistance 2, but this site breaks down some of the images.

I don't think it is all correct, like how Hale is in the game. Or that it is set in New York. Might be a scene there, or just concept art. There is also one of the gate in St. LouisI believe.

It is confirmed (if this is true ha). It is J.C. as the main character.

Gran Turismo, Killzone 3 beta, and all the other killer games coming to PS3. Thats all amazing news, but I'm a hardcore fan of one series that thousands of other people are too. Resistance 3, and ever since the announcement we haven't heard any details about it. Well thats about to change.
Resistance 3 is the new featured game for Game Informer, and it all starts with an epic revealing in next weeks issue. Resistance 3 is the cover story and within the pages you will find details about campaign, the new main character, locales, weapon systems, and more! Yes, I know I got excited too! Noting that it does mention "New Main Character" so does this pretty much confirm Hale is out? Indeed, further reading on the Game Informer site stats Joe Capelli is the new protagonist in the upcoming title.
And if that doesn't make you want to buy the new issue, then the cover will! It's insane looking, check it out for yourself. The Game Informer HUB will be launching tomorrow, which is month long Resistance 3 updates.

128640095961611.jpg

Got the issue on Friday and I'll post a summary of what's in the feature:

Story/Basics:
-Definitive Spoiler of R2's ending:
Nathan Hale is Dead. The Chimera have won. America is dying. These are the first words that open the article to set the tone for the game.
-Joseph Capelli, the new hero, was Nathan's former lieutenant and fellow Sentinel in R2.
He is also the man that shot Nathan Hale to deliver on a promise.
-He was also in the Project Abraham alternate reality game.
-He defected from the military due to the futility of the war and tried to start a family in hiding. When his family is threatened by the encroaching Chimerans, he sets out on the trip of his life.
-Series Creator Ted Price is handing the reins for the game to former Resistance project manager Marcus Smith.
-Insomniac's goal for R3 is to embrace and polish the series' style of gunplay while trying to create an engaging drama of a man traveling to save his family.
-The Chimerans now occupy North America and the rest of the world and are focusing on exterminating the last remaining humans. They've also managed to cause temperatures to drop around the world.
-One of these attacks occurs in Haven, Oklahoma as survivors fought to defend their homes and this is where Joseph reunited with his wife,
who is apparently Nathan's stepsister from the Resistance novel
, and son.
-Their son is sick with the Chimeran virus, so Joseph must travel to New York to find the Hale vaccine that Dr. Malikov has told them about that was made from Nathan's blood. The Hale vaccine may also be a way to save the last remaining humans that can get the shot.
-Malikov joins Joseph on his journey, but is now older and is no longer able to fight alongside others.
-They're traveling across a flooded town towards St. Louis, Missouri as they see alien plant life and icy shafts that show that the Chimerans are terraforming the Earth.
-They later find the corpse of a Kraken sprawled out on a bridge as leapers chow down on its entrails, which are now feral and numerous now that they aren't domesticated any more.
-They approach a swollen river that is the Mississippi river heading towards St. Louis as they head a terrible noise rumbling from the distance. It's a Goliath bigger than the flooded city they just passed through that passes by and leaves and leaves Long Legs to fight you.
-After taking out the Long Legs, they move on to St. Louis as Joseph joins some cocky greasers in a fight to gain control of a Chimeran power cell, which they need to fuel their aircraft. The only way to get it is to take over a Chimeran Dropship and its many passengers.

Gameplay:
-Malikov tries to call for any survivors as they float by a motel, but only catch the attention of Grims that start to swarm the boat. They no longer are hindered by overheating problems with the artificially lowered temperatures.
-Joseph grabs his Marksman rifle and uses the alternate fire to drop an electrical turret on the boat's stern and then uses his Magnum handgun to fire remote detonated rounds into the mob. He cleans up the rest of the Grims with his Rossmore shotgun.
-They've gotten rid of the two-weapon system.
-Other weapons that are returning are the Bullseye and Auger. The army-issued guns are no longer around, as those basic guns are cobbled together scrap that's around in this post-apocalyptic world.
-You can earn points by using specific weapons that can be used to upgrade your weapons.
-They've reworked the enemy AI so that they no longer have impossible range, nor will they wait for you to cross the invisible line to start shooting at you. Now they will have a proximity-based system where you have a chance to get into cover to be a bit more stealthy, though they will search for you if you fire shots from out of their range.
-The Chimerans have a new animation system that allows them to get around the environment in more agile ways, like climbing into windows, jump railings, and down walls so they're not baffled by things like cover and walls.
-The Mutator is a new weapon that fires a green myst that causes bulbous cysts to erupt all over the Chimeran's body so they turn into a combustible land mine that infects nearby Chimerans. Its alternate fire shoots a mist that disorients nearby Chimerans so that you can mow them down. It can be upgraded so that the alternate fire causes them to go berserk and shoot their teammates.
-Long Legs are a new Chimeran type that is similar to a Hybrid but has longer legs (surprised?) that allow it to leap around and shoot at your from above. The bullseye's tag ability is a good way to take him out.
-They're reworking NPC AI so that they're much more useful and competent allies and not just guys that make it look like you're not as much of a one-man army as you really are.

Co-op:
-There will be co-op in the campaign for R3. The second player controls a character named John Harper, but nothing else is known about who he is.
-John won't have much of a presence in the story, as the co-op is more about letting two people play through the game together without worrying about justifying it in the story.
-The online co-op mode from R2 is not returning, as they're tightening their focus on making the campaign as good as possible.

Online Multiplayer:
-No real details other than suggesting that the 60 player battles probably won't be returning.
-They're streamlining the multiplayer experience down to the things that were most popular with Resistance 1 and 2.
-Weapon usage is a big one and the persistant progression through multiplayer is a lot tighter now.
-Multiplayer maps will be set all around the world, which you'll hear about the battles in those locations on the radio show that will be returning to the campaign.
-On the R2 Retrospective episode of the Full Moon Show, they mention the mistake of the 10k kills trophy and that they won't be doing that again for R3.

I'm really disappointed by the decision to drop the online co-op from R2, which was the coolest part of that game. The story sounds quite interesting with the way the story is going in R3.

Other than the dropped online coop, everything else sounds great! I'm a bit surprised about
Malikov. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like he committed suicide close to the end of R2.

Definitely disappointed by the drop in online co-op. I'll have to wait for multiple reviews before I decide to buy this for more than $20 now.

[quote name='Warner1281']Definitely disappointed by the drop in online co-op. I'll have to wait for multiple reviews before I decide to buy this for more than $20 now.[/QUOTE]

Were you planning on buying Day 1?

I felt co-op got boring after a few days. It was the same repetitive missions. Yeah, it was fun playing with friends, but I felt like the whole thing was just tacked on.

Why did they think the 10K trophy was a mistake?

[quote name='Blackout']Were you planning on buying Day 1?

I felt co-op got boring after a few days. It was the same repetitive missions. Yeah, it was fun playing with friends, but I felt like the whole thing was just tacked on.

Why did they think the 10K trophy was a mistake?[/QUOTE]

I thoroughly enjoyed the co-op in R2 and was looking forward to it in R3. I'm not very good at comp. online, so the co-op was a way for me to enjoy online without sucking horribly.

Yeah I didn't love the co-op but I was really looking forward to seeing how much they improved it for this time.

The flow of the story, how it progresses further between games is something I have always wanted in a solid video game series. Though I am a bit sad as I thought the setting of R1 was really great, we are getting further and further from that.

I like the move towards more realistic graphics, but I thought this trailer was pretty underwhelming.

New trailer with some footage of the new demo that they're showing off in an event over in Europe:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/710093.html

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/01/resistance-3-and-ratchet-clank-all-4-one-update/
Description of what's in the demo from their PS Blog post:
The Resistance 3 demo takes place in Haven, Oklahoma. Our new hero, former Sentinel Joseph Capelli, has taken up arms with his fellow Haven citizens to defend the town from Chimeran forces. The fighters are trying to buy enough time for an evacuation of Haven, as a Chimeran terraformer is closing on the city and threatens to wipe it off the map. As the battle wages on and the terraformer nears, you see the wind begin to pick up… and then the Chimeran Brawler arrives to turn the tide of the battle.
And some new screenshots here.

disclaimer: i plat'ed r2 with early 10k kills. bought r2 day 1 and got it signed by dev's and ted. i loved the online coop with 7 other cags.

i dont know about r3. a lot of people left IG that made IG what it was. i like the focus on what they're good at instead of copying COD.

Yeah I was watching the video on the PSblog where he interviews some devs just a moment again. TRYING to build my interest back into this franchise but I don't don't feel it. Keeps moving further away from what I expected but I guess that is what should happen.

They are really trying to advance the story and thus the gameplay into new areas. Part of me commends them for that, and the rest is left to wonder why that have to change the things I enjoyed so much.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yeah I was watching the video on the PSblog where he interviews some devs just a moment again. TRYING to build my interest back into this franchise but I don't don't feel it. Keeps moving further away from what I expected but I guess that is what should happen.

They are really trying to advance the story and thus the gameplay into new areas. Part of me commends them for that, and the rest is left to wonder why that have to change the things I enjoyed so much.[/QUOTE]

What things are you referring to?

[quote name='primetime']What things are you referring to?[/QUOTE]

One example is the military feel of the 1st game which is about lost in the 3rd game. Not saying that is a bad thing, just easy to see just how far they've come from the original idea.

[quote name='NamPaehc']One example is the military feel of the 1st game which is about lost in the 3rd game. Not saying that is a bad thing, just easy to see just how far they've come from the original idea.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean. I'm happy that they're returning to some of the gameplay elements from R1, such as the weapon wheel and no regenerating health.

I think you almost need regenerating health with the way the game can throw enemies at you and if they are going to have an automatic sniper rifle with aim assist in competetive play again. I went bach to play R1 for the fist time after i beat R2 three times and got close to 40,000 kills in multiplayer. R1 campaign and online was no fun at all for me. Some of there multiplayer maps seemed cool but i just didn't like that game at all.

Resistance 1 was the first game I played on PS3 and the first game I ever played in HD as well, so I will always remember how in awe I was of the game. I loved every minute of it. But I tried playing through 2 and never finished becase I kept dying and the gameplay was too trial and error for my liking. I am just an average shooter player anyway, so much of that may be my fault, but did anyone else feel R2 was much harder and do we know if R3 will be the same?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/02/resistance-3-multiplayer-revealed-beta-later-this-year/

Multiplayer details have been revealed for R3:
Greetings from the PlayStation.Blog.Lounge here at the fabulous W Hotel, across the street from the Game Developers Conference in downtown San Francisco. As this post goes live, we are revealing our all-new multiplayer for Resistance 3. We’ve said all along we wanted Resistance 3’s MP mode to bring the best of both Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2’s MP and co-op modes, and you’re about to see just how we’ve managed to do that.

Resistance 3 will feature 16-player Human vs. Chimera deathmatch and objective-based modes set in locations across the globe. That may seem somewhat jarring after the 40 and 60-player mayhem in RFOM and R2. Rest assured though, our biggest motivation in determining our new player count was the fun times that we and the community had on maps like RFOM’s Busyard and Rooftops, as well as the Bayou House and San Francisco maps in Resistance 2.

Resistance 3 will offer a very deep and customizable progression system. Players can create their own progression paths through multiplayer, spending their hard-earned points to customize loadouts that fit their unique playstyle. We learned a lot from Resistance 2 co-op in terms of giving players the ability to create specific roles in a team and level up different abilities – which you will see with the various active tactical and support abilities, as well as the new personal and combat attributes.

For instance – each player can choose and level different support abilities – such as a Bubble Shield, Ammo Beacon (give ammo to teammates) or Radar Beacon (enhance your team’s radar). There are also tactical abilities you can use against your enemies, such as the Doppelganger (projects an image of you nearby to distract enemies) or Dash (an explosive burst of speed to evade enemy attacks).

Furthermore, each player can select and level a personal attribute and a combat attribute. These range from the ability to have leapers bust out from your corpse, to start with more weapons in your arsenal, to reloading or firing at a faster rate. You will be able to truly customize your character loadout to fit your own unique playstyle in Resistance 3.

We’ve been working on this new direction for close to two years now, polishing and refining our maps. We’re having a ton of fun playing Resistance 3 in the office every day. We will be bringing a multiplayer beta to PSN later this year, so stay tuned to our newsletters (Check today’s for the first news on Insomniac’s Community Day on March 29th!), Full Moon Show podcast, Twitter feed and Facebook page for all the latest updates!

bread's done
Back