CAGcast #209: Calling All Farts!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Lots to talk about this week, including: Kane & Lynch 2, Mass Effect 2 on PS3, the new PS3 Move bundle, the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more. It's a gas!

[podcast]118[/podcast]
Download - 80 minutes, 56MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='killthemall4444']God damn it why do the Cagcasts keep getting shorter!?[/QUOTE]

What he said.

I want 8 hour podcasts! (I can settle for 2 hour podcasts)

-FrankCastleAZ

I should not be up this late, I need me some pills or something..... At least I have the CAGcast to keep me company now. :applause: Pretty sure this show is gonna stink though ;)

[quote name='killthemall4444']God damn it why do the Cagcasts keep getting shorter!?[/QUOTE]
Probably due to the fact that its summer which means very little new releases and slow gaming news. We'll probably get longer CAGcasts in the fall.

Hey Ship, would someone who severely dislikes Michael Cera enjoy Scott Pilgrim vs. The World? The only thing stopping me from seeing it is the fact that I really hate Michael Cera.

And Wombat, stick to humming during the Go Daddy segments. I don't mind the humming in the background, but the toy music was extremely obnoxious.

Excellent as always, guys. Wombat had some good points this week, although perhaps it balances out with his spontaneous flatulance (some of us eat when we listen, you know! :D ). Also, I think I'd enjoy Ys Seven. I was actually thinking of picking it up, but then decided against it when I bought Silver Star Harmony during the PSN sale (I'm also saving my bones for Valkyria Chronicles 2). It would be so, so sweet if I won that code. ;)

I await your review of Ys, Shipwreck. I'll be getting a PSP next month for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and will be looking for more games to play on the system, hopefully Ys can be one. Great show as always, guys. If you don't take my word for it know it's 4am and I'm staying up longer to listen to the podcast.

[quote name='DarkZion']Hey Ship, would someone who severely dislikes Michael Cera enjoy Scott Pilgrim vs. The World? The only thing stopping me from seeing it is the fact that I really hate Michael Cera.
[/QUOTE]

Same here, even though I don't hate him, I just think he plays the same role in every movie he's in. However, now that i know Edgar Wright is involved, I really want to see it.

The PS3 game is pretty good, and the soundtrack is so catchy.

You guys are forgetting about the fact that you need ME1 to import a character into ME2 if you want to play a Paragon character, let alone see some of the characters that may or may not have died in ME1.

It also implies that any choices you make in ME1 won't matter that much (more emails!) in ME3 especially if a large chunk of their audience won't even see that content.

Mass Effect 2 on PS3 is awesome. Why? Because Mass Effect 2 is awesome. I haven't played a more consistently good game like that in a long time (but it's still not one of my favorite games ever). One concern I have about it coming to PS3 is not having some of the more major choices from the original in 2, namely characters being alive. By simply giving players a checklist to mark off what they want to play with in 2 would remedy some of those concerns, even though I'm not going to double dip for the PS3 version.

Wombat, whenever Kotaku did NPD posts, they usually did at least 2, maybe more. One for hardware, one for software. I've kind of lost interest in NPD's because the software sales have just become sorta depressing to not see some of everyone's favorite games selling not as good/poorly as you think they should, especially with the bad economy. But at least Dragon Quest IX sold quite a few copies.

Good show

And because I couldn't let this moment be passed up, a song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q44IDYpEeso

[quote name='DarkZion']Probably due to the fact that its summer which means very little new releases and slow gaming news. We'll probably get longer CAGcasts in the fall.

Hey Ship, would someone who severely dislikes Michael Cera enjoy Scott Pilgrim vs. The World? The only thing stopping me from seeing it is the fact that I really hate Michael Cera.

And Wombat, stick to humming during the Go Daddy segments. I don't mind the humming in the background, but the toy music was extremely obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

It's difficult for me to say since I actually enjoy Michael Cera outside of Scott Pilgrim as well. It's kind of a similar character to what he's played in the past, so if you really hate Michael Cera, this probably isn't going to change your mind.

Glad to hear Shipwreck talk a bit about Ys seven, I couldn't find anyone writing a review for it so Im happy Boatcrash will. I know the psp line up doesnt always get a lot of love but Im really looking forward to this one, Its good to hear that its turning out to be fun game.

Love the Show, keep it up

For your listening pleasure, I've isolated the farts:

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/farts-from-cagcast-209[/soundcloud]

I think there ARE people who will buy Win Phone 7 solely to get achievements. Do you really think there aren't? Have you read the Engadget comments?

I think Win Phone 7 looks pretty cool. That said, I'm buying an Android phone. I'll check back in after WP7 has had a year to mature.

I agree with Wombat on the Matrix vs. Star Wars question. It's not even close IMO. There's a big difference between disappointing and plain bad.

Re: ME2 for PS3

Coming from a gamer who likes to play, but doesn't have the hours or the funds to have all games and all systems, I only have a PS3 (for the blu-ray/gaming combo) prefer the role-playing and best quality games, and want Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2. This is exactly the kind of news I hope to hear more of. Keep fighting the good fight shipwreck!

I work in Digital Display Media, so for me, Wombat's discussion of the cost for Gawker vs traffic was actually a nice way to tie my work and personal life together! Though, a CPM is the only way for that set up to work, as CPC or CPA would just come at too high a premium for that cost method to ever fly on a site like that

As for Mass Effect 2, I'm in a bit of a pickle- I have a PS3 and just bought one of the new 360's (250gig) soley for the purpose of playing Mass Effect and Fable. Now that 50% of the reason I bought the thing is out the window, am I pretty much SOL? I dont feel so bad, as I also picked up Gears and Dead Rising and was pleasantly surprised, but the idea that I finally caved and then this news break is a bit of a blow to my gut...and wallet.

I know I'm an extreme case here, but I'd like to believe there are atleast a few others in a similar situation. Now, when ME:3 comes out, do we expect it to be cross platform, or XBox exclusive (for atleast a while)?

And Wombat, I was talking to you about Dragon Age too! Way to cut a brother out! The Dragon Age DLC is a bit hit or miss (though Golem of Armgarrak was hard as hell), but the game itself, aside from some issues like Frame rate and complexity of combat (not due to intricacy but poor design), the game itself is actually very well done. I never beat Fallout 3 but stuck with DA:O to the end, because the story was so well done. It's definitely a labor of love, but worth it.

/end diatribe...and boys, get some bean-o.

Ship,

I was in the same ship (hur, hur) as you with Fallout 3. I got out of the vault and lost all interest. Then I came back to it months later, and absolutely loved it and all 5 DLCs. Give it another shot!

Oddly enough, the same exact thing happened with Dragon Age. I played it through the intro mission, forgot about the game, then came back to it and played it to death.

Hi Cheapy,

Check out these books for whenever you are going to Hawaii. There is a different book for each island.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...x=0&y=0&ih=10_4_2_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.102_95&fsc=-1

These books are fantastic, they are written by locals and regularly updated. We buy the latest edition whenever we go.

Try to get a reservation at Duke's on Waikiki Beach for their Sunday brunch.

If you want to do anything "touristy", GET THERE EARLY.

And Oahu is not "The Big Island", that is Kona.

Gummi Bears intro??? BOSS!

Dayam Wombat, you sounded so angry when you were answering my question. Just wanted your opinions. XD

I think the very first Ys had the same deal where you had to talk to everyone in the town before you were allowed to progress. It's a shame that such contrived pacing devices are still used in some Japanese games, but from what I've been reading, Ys 7 gets pretty darn good after that point. Give me the code! :)

Hey CheapyD hit me up for Battlefield Bad Company 2, im on it when im not playing Madden. Hope it doesnt lag when you play with some one across the pond.

PS3 version

Only at the Realtime Worlds discussion part, but it seems like you talked about the things I posted in the questions thread, thanks!

Now I maybe wrong, but this is how I've understood the Crackdown 2 timeline with Realtime/Ruffian:

Feb. 07- Crackdown comes out

Summer/Fall 07- Crackdown is a huge hit, not just for the Halo 3 beta. Major Nelson and other media talk about the game constantly, sold millions of copies, and Realtime asks Microsoft about making a sequel. MS execs above Major Nelson level think it's just because of the Halo 3 beta and pass.

Fall 07/Summer 08- Realtime needs to make something to keep the doors open so APB is announced are development started.

Fall 08/Spring 09- Microsoft finally decides to have a Crackdown 2 to strenghen their weaking lineup of exclusives. The brass at Realtime, deep in production with APB, say it's too late. A few lower level execs and a group of workers from Realtime, perhaps seeing the writing on the wall, decide to splinter off and form a new company, Ruffian Games, with its first project being Crackdown 2.

Oct. 09 ish- Crackdown 2 development begins.

June/July 2010- APB releases and the game is not super polished at launch and fails for all the reasons already stated, and Crackdown 2 comes out and sells nearly a million units worldwide in less than a month even though most reviews state it's not a very revolutionary sequel.

Not only did Kotaku do seperate posts for NPD hardware/software, but Totilo also did an analysis post about what the numbers showed.

I'm a light PSP user, but what comes out for it I enjoy. I built up a massive collection via Goozex and some cheap deals from Gamestop. What games I've bought for it I've enjoyed. I got Peace Walker, getting Valkyria Chronicles 2 day 1, pre ordering God of War only because of all the stuff you get for a preorder, and I'll get The 3rd Birthday (aka Parasite Eve 3) when it comes out next year.

Of course I wouldn't mind the Ys code ... :)

Great show guys. Just wondering if you guys are ever gonna do the show highlights episode that got postponed from episode 201, or is that not gonna happen now?

The reason I asked is Kotaku is my main video game blog. I'm a star commenter there and I like it's comment system vs. Joystiq (can't take the time to check my email just for my comment to show, sorry) and I can't stand Jim Sterling, who I believe gives games scores of 1-4 just to increase hits and posts on Destructoid to inflate their stats. Yes Sterling is worse than Crecente, I said it. Also Joystiq's comments are swarmed with fanboys, much worse than either Kotaku or Destructoid.

And they've just been silent about it. If you're going to say you're the No. 1 video game blog, how can you ignore the most important game story each and every month? I didn't even know the numbers had come out on Thursday until I saw them on CAG.

Oh and here's some rough site stats for their last NPD number articles-
April hardware- 13k views, 98 comments
April games- 14,700 views, 257 comments

March games- 19,500 views, 444 comments
March systems- 9,570 views, 187 comments

Feb. games- 8,472 views, 168 comments
Feb. systems- 19k views, 578 comments

Jan. systems- 9,650 views, 142 comments
Jan. games- 10,400 views, 197 comments

Wombat's farts sound like a duck quacking...which leaves a disturbing image of a Wombaduck in my head.

Anyway, good show guys. It seems that Mass Effect 2 is being brought over to PS3 to encourage interest to the eventual Mass Effect 3 multiplatform launch. Still, it seems a little strange to not bring the first game over. While you don't need prior knowledge to play most game sequels, Mass Effect is a very story driven game. I know that when I was playing through Mass Effect 2 with my imported character, I was looking forward to speaking to my old crew. These appearances probably won't be as meaningful to newcomers.

By the way, I never read the Boat Crash Chronicles, but now I'm glad they were mentioned.

bc0003.jpg

If you and Mrs Cheapy were having trouble with the British accents in Shaun of the Dead, why not just turn on subtitles?

I quite liked the second Matrix movie, too.

Good on Wombat for bringing the TV and movie love. White Collar is a fantastic show, and if you like Edgar Wright you need to check out the mid-2000s BBC series Look Around You. It's a pitch-perfect take on late-'70s educational programming, filled with dry narration, made up facts, and absurdist humor. Each episode is less than ten minutes long and it's amazing. Wright didn't exactly work on the show, but he has a recurring part as one of the scientists, and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost both have cameos. Look Around You was co-written by Peter Serafinowicz, aka "Duane" from Spaced (and here's a bit of trivia: he was also the voice of Darth Maul in Episode I).

[quote name='Curufinwe']Sorry to nitpick Shipwreck, but there's no "u" in Lara Croft. :)[/QUOTE]

That's just my Ohio accent. I swear I'm saying Lara.

I have already preordered mass effect 2 on amazon I cannot wait! Hey how about that Ys code ;), that game looks awesome on the psp. It will be another classic action rpg that thrive on that platform.

Great episode guys! I prefer shorter shows to be honest.

I agree with Wombat about what Kotaku does or doesn't do isn't worthy of discussion on CAG.

Any possibility of an Andriod CAG app?

I agree with Cheapy. The song list for Guitar Hero is awful compared to Rock Band. Adding the keytar really opened up their song list to stuff that wouldn't otherwise work without it (like Werewolves of London!)

Oh... I'd like to be entered into the draw for the code.

Thanks!

NPD #s might be too game related for kotaku.

MNC having split screen online just convinced me to buy it, thanks for mentioning it.

Great show guys! I got to admit, the thing that grabbed my attention the most was probably the bit about the guy thinking that Kinect would sell an assload of units. That guy has to be crazy! I cannot see people seriously shelling out 150 bucks for it.

I guess I am in the minority, every podcast I listen to seems to not care about Bioshock anymore. I would say it is not a yearly release like Shipwreck referred but it is on more of a 2 an 1/2 year cycle, I am kind of foggy but I think August 2007 and 2 came out February 2010. I am just the type of person that wants a good story in a game, the shooting doesn't have to be perfect for me. There is a Call of Duty every year and I never hear people complain about it, but more Bioshock with story and atmosphere is frowned upon. I just don't get it. This is all just my opinion.

I also never played Mass Effect 1 and only played Mass Effect 2. I did feel a little foggy at first but after the first couple hours I was hooked in enough to call in sick to work to play it. Easily one of the best games I have ever played in my life. I only wish we got a game every year of that quality and I am happy for PS3 owners to play it.

bread's done
Back