Guy jumps from roof onto stage, committing suicide during Swell Season concert.

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Jesus.

Although I love the metal, I like their music a lot. They're really good. If you've never heard of them, they were the guy & girl from the movie Once, if you saw that. Feel awful for the band, especially the singer as the guy almost landed on him apparently.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/08/20/swell-season-suicide/

On Thursday night, an unidentified man reportedly killed himself by jumping from a nearby building onto the stage during a Swell Season show at California's Saratoga Mountain Winery. According to local reports, the man ran toward the edge of the roof, leapt near the lighting rig and landed close to singer Glen Hansard.

"Glen was just finishing a little song that one of his band members had made up," one witness told SF Weekly. "The crowd was singing along with him and he was looking for the band member ... I just happened to look up and I saw this guy falling from the top of the roof on the right side of the building behind the stage. He landed about three feet to the left of Glen on a speaker and he was motionless, like a rag doll."

Hansard put down his guitar and walked over to the man as doctors were trying to revive him. The man was reportedly motionless and some witnesses said they saw blood around him.

The Swell Season have since released a statement regarding the event. "The band, crew and all involved with them are shocked and saddened by the unfortunate events of last night," the statement said. "Their hearts go out to the victim and his friends and family."

I love Swell Season but I don't think I'd ever listen to their songs the same way if I saw someone commit suicide during a show. Pretty messed up.

[quote name='Snake2715']wow crazy that happened. I cant see the video at work, but if it shows it I'll pass.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't show it. He jumped 2 minutes after that song from what the uploader put in the description.

I filmed this about two minutes before a man jumped from the roof behind the stage and killed himself. I hope it conveys some of the intense beauty of The Swell Season's music and the type of evening that was taking place when it ended abruptly with a thud as the man hit the stage roughly where the violinist is standing in this video. It went from such an emotional high to a tragic low in an instant.

"There's no point trying to fight it, when your mind's made up." Pretty creepy listening to that line considering what happened two minutes later. It's almost the kind of song you would expect to hear in a movie when someone's about to kill themself. That would really mess with my head if I was in the band and had just finished playing that when someone decided to commit suicide.

[quote name='Malik112099']What blood? You cant see shit in that video[/QUOTE]

In the first video, you don't see the circle of red on the stage?

[quote name='slickkill77']Good. Check one off the idiot gene pool list.[/QUOTE]

Uh, yeah, but would have been nice if he just stuck a gun in his mouth in his bathroom, rather than be a stupid little attention-whore prick who probably traumatized not only the band but a several people in the audience.

[quote name='Sporadic']In the first video, you don't see the circle of red on the stage?[/QUOTE]

if that little red blip is blood it isnt that much cause someone walks right in front of the stage next to it and it is small compared to them

[quote name='KaneRobot']Uh, yeah, but would have been nice if he just stuck a gun in his mouth in his bathroom, rather than be a stupid little attention-whore prick who probably traumatized not only the band but a several people in the audience.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree. I don't understand how you can have suicidal thoughts but still have the foresight to figure out a way to draw every last bit of attention to yourself possible.

I was just telling a buddy last night (after he mentioned this) that you don't hear about too many jumping deaths anymore. Sad news, indeed.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Ezio Auditore he is not.[/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

To the dude's credit, one of the articles did mention that he did some flips before he hit. Maybe he just held onto the right trigger too long and over-rotated.

That's about as brutal as a person can get I suppose. So at least he died being extremely "Metal".

I really don't feel sorry for anyone who commits suicide. It's an easy way out, and it's not respectable at all.

[quote name='TC']I'd heard they put on a killer show.[/QUOTE]
ZING!

Really the only thing sad about this situation is the worthless waste of life that jumped almost landed on the singer.

[quote name='Survivalism']I don't disagree. I don't understand how you can have suicidal thoughts but still have the foresight to figure out a way to draw every last bit of attention to yourself possible.[/QUOTE]

Suicide is a selfish act.

[quote name='slickkill77']Suicide is a selfish act.[/QUOTE]

agreed.

he could have: donated blood, donated organs, donated time, helped others, volunteered, or planted a tree... the list goes on and on.

helped an old lady cross the street.
fight crime.
picked up trash.
picked up trash on the freeway.
feed the homeless.
work for peta.
work for greenpeace.
get those berkeley grads out of iran.
become a suicide bomber and get the taliban back; oh wait, that last one sucked.
become rambo, and hunt down bin laden on his own.
solve dependence on foreign oil.
become someone's bitch in prison.
worked at walmart.
[edit]
watch disney's lion king.
complete the circle of life.

yeah, in that order, sorta.

bread's done
Back