3D TV for PS3 Gaming

nac14127

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok so for a few months, I have really wanted to get a 3D Tv to hook up my ps3 to. I know that 3D could just be a passing fad but I really want a tv to put in my room anyways so if I get one, I don't want to get a normal HDTV that could possibly be obsolete in a few years because 3D takes off. I have been doing some research, and right now, I am very interested in the Samsung UN40C7000 (40" LCD-LED 1080p 3D). Amazon is selling it for $1599.00 and at the current moment, you get the 3D Starter Pack and 3D Blu-Ray player for free (about a $750 value). This comes out to $1740.00 with tax, shipped.
I do have enough money for it right now, but do you think I am wasting my money?
DO you think 3D TVs are going to be significantly cheaper anytime soon (and when)?
Anybody have any recommendations for what i should do?
Thanks a lot. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold off on your purchase. Samsung and Panasonic are coming with other models shortly. Though I believe the Samsung models may be 720p, not 100% sure. The panasonics are going to be equivalent to the G25's I believe, so not high high end but not low end models either.

[quote name='Fergitchu']Wait for black friday deals?[/QUOTE]

No I didn't mean for black friday deals, but I didn't even consider them. Maybe I could get an even better deal then. Thanks for the idea

alright, thanks. I think I'm gonna wait it out. I just hope this deal with the free blu ray and starter kit doesn't go away and there is nothing better within the next year

I would wait. The 7000 Series are now their budget 3D line and have been on sale, in the past, for $1199. This was back in March when Samsung were the only manufacturer with 3D sets in the market. They were also offering up to 4 pairs of 3D glasses, free, with purchase. I believe that Dell had the 55" C7000 for $1599 shipped. Black Friday should yield some pretty good deals and with the 2011 models coming out before then, you should be able to get a great deal on the present models.

I just bought the Samsung 55C8000 LED 3DTV 2 weeks ago. I absolutely love it. I was able to pricematch Amazon's price (a week and half ago..price has gone up since) of 2,499.99 at Best Buy with the 3D Starter Kit and Samsung 6900 (built in wifi) 3D bluray player (now the bundles includes the 5900 3D bluray player (no built in wifi). The 2D to 3D conversion on games (and bluray movies) ranges from no real effect to fantastic (Gears of War 2 for example for games, to 300 and other bluray movies). Wipeout HD 3D and Motorstorm Pacific Rift 3D demo are simply incredible to play. An amazing TV that will obviously drop in price when the 2011 models come out. I couldn't wait and I don't regret it at all.

HD tv will not be obsolete any time soon, look how much time it took for everyone to switch from a box to a flat panel for televisions and inbetween that we had Big screens, projectors and such. I would wait until the technology gets better and cheaper....

Wait for deals, especially since this stuff is brand new tech, expect high prices until deals come out. I bought my 46" Samsung slim LED TV with a blu-ray player for $1,495 from Bestbuy during I believe a two-day memorial day sale a few months back. The TV still sells for $1,595 to this day and it used to be over $2,100 when it came out.

Personally, I'm not into the 3D thing. After watching Avatar inregular HDTV and not 3D, I prefer the regular version over the 3D version.

[quote name='Vampire_Zio']HD tv will not be obsolete any time soon, look how much time it took for everyone to switch from a box to a flat panel for televisions and inbetween that we had Big screens, projectors and such. I would wait until the technology gets better and cheaper....[/QUOTE]We still have high quality projectors out there. That's what the spec. nerds like. :D

Just about any 3D DLP TV is reasonably priced in the sub 2000 dollar range and over 50 inches. Most sub 2000 dollar DLPs are really really nice. Most have a color wheel with 5-6 colors (primary colors and secondary colors). The best LCD's only have 3 to 4 colors ( Red, Blue, Green, and newer more expensive ones have the color yellow). If you don't mind something on the slightly chunkier side get a DLP; they are the best value in terms of money, screen size, image quality, and energy use per inch.

Typically with some DLPs labeled 3d ready you need a 100 dollar or so adaptor to play the current 3d formate (DLP's work kind of differently in the way they create the 3d image). Other than that they work great. Other DLPs work fine out of the box and some even though labeled a 3D DLP use proprietary technology and once again need a adaptor for 100 dollars or so to play newer 3D content.

From my experience with 3D tvs (I don't own one, but I've seen a ton of them in person) you don't really get that "WOW" factor from anything sub 50 inches. You mostly just notice some added depth and pop out effect with a 3D tv in the 30-45 inch range. When you see a 3D image on a huge tv it simply looks crazy impressive.

Just to give you an idea on pricing these DLPs range from 1 grand to 2 and are all over 50 inches.
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1282625378&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1282625511&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD...6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1282625536&sr=1-6

bread's done
Back