What the hell is this thing?

Ha.

The game demo looked poor, looks like it drove the same no matter the terrain..

"Which button do I push!?"

"The one with teh 9 dots! NO! 3 bars!"

I saw it at E3 last year and I still don't know what it is...
The screen shots dont look that bad though.
250_h.jpg

Gizmondo was actually the 2nd (and final) name chosen.

The original name of the system was the GameTrac.

I'd love to know what happened at the board meeting where they decided to change it from GameTrac to Gizmondo.

It boggles the mind.

[quote name='evilmax17']Gizmondo was actually the 2nd (and final) name chosen.

The original name of the system was the GameTrac.

I'd love to know what happened at the board meeting where they decided to change it from GameTrac to Gizmondo.

It boggles the mind.[/quote]

I don't think I've heard the word "mondo" used since the days of the original TMNT cartoon. Oh yeah, and King Mondo from PRZ.

Phil was an ordinary man with a sad story. A penniless salesman, a good for nothing husband, and a deadbeat dad, Phil has nothing to live for. Sitting in the cab of his Monte Carlo, he sees his life flash before his eyes, and is entirely unimpressed. Staring into the barrel of a discount twelve gauge, Phil sighs and pulls the trigger.

laff. Wonder how long it'll last.

It's actually pretty nifty of a device, particularly with the built-in GPS opening up all sorts of potential. Part of the increase cost is also a big win for online gaming. GPRS gives it access to existing celular system data channels, so the unit isn't dependent on a WiFi AP being within a few hundred feet. So it competes with the N*gage on that front.

Their #1 problem is capital. They haven't got a billion dollars to get this thing established and that is what it takes. They cannot afford to sell it with a dep hardware subsidy factored in. If Sony had to sell the PSP hardware for a profit it wouldn't be much lower priced than the Gizmondo.

They also haven't the money to buy sufficent market awareness to sell the hardware at any price in big enough numbers to produce a viable platform for developers to see opportunity.

I notice on the Unit page it features 'Bluethooth.' You can use a wireless headset with it but every voice you hear will have a lisp added.

Also, the animated function checklist fails to describe the USB port.

Ha Ha Tiger electronics. I remember those bastards from the 80's. I had a bunch of crappy Tiger handhelds that seemed way cool before I got a Gameboy.

I've heard of the Gizmondo before. WTF is the "Momma, Can I Mow The Grass Game?"

"The hero of our game is Kurt, a mischievous teenage kid looking for ways to make a fast buck. In his father's garage he discovers a prototype vegetation-based fuel converter which the old man designed and built years before.

After a successful test-run mowing the family lawn, Kurt fills the converter with grass and discovers that the machine makes a brilliant internal combustion fuel. Armed with the family's trusty ride-on mower, he sets out to make his fortune.

In his leafy hometown, grass is abundant, and many people are grateful for Kurt's offer to mow their lawns, often rewarding him with extra cash if he does a good job. The real fun begins when he forgets to ask permission or enters prohibited areas like parks and sports grounds."

Another title for the game could be "Amish Gone Wild" or more accurately, "Menonnite Gone Wild."

Their marketing department must be a one man team headed by Weird Al Yankovich. Of course though, I think Weird Al would know better. (Anyone ever see UHF? Thet was a good movie...)

[quote name='StealthySeal']http://www.gizmondo.com/games/item.asp?id=105&cat=3

momma, can I mow the lawn?[/quote]

THEY STOLE MY IDEA!!!

also, seanbaby made fun of it: and that guy is never wrong

Strangly enough I remember going to their booth at E3 (where they only had ONE working unit) and then later passing the Phantom set up and they kinda felt the same.

OMG! portable Phantom!

Because it'll be about as successful.

bread's done
Back