selling video games at garage sale, tips?

CaoPi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
I'm considering selling some of my old ps2, gamecube, psp and xbox games, anyone have any advice on this? I've never done one. My other choice would be to sell them as a bundle on amazon

Sell them on Amazon, you are going to get no more then $3 a piece at a garage sale. And they will only pick the good stuff and leave you with crap that will never sell.

Agreed - that's about the worst thing you can do. Hell, post your list on here as a bundle and post "best offer" and you'd do better!!!

Yeah I agree, you will only get pennies at a yard sale for your games, people will want your games for 50 cents each or else they will chew you out for having prices that are too high. List as a bundle on ebay, here or elsewhere.

Agree with all of the comments above. Video games are a niche enough item that the average garage sale goer isn't going to have any idea what a particular game is worth and they're not going to want to pay more than a few cents for anything you've got. Better to sell to an audience that knows what they are looking at.

I normally make a killing at garage sales, but that's because I'm the buyer.

Nobody at garage sales who know what they are looking for will be willing to pay up front for the actual value of the games, and the value of some of those games might be too high for some of the buyers who don't know what games are worth.

Now if you were talking about really cheap titles, like EA sports games and just junk like that, those are maybe the ones you can toss into the boxes at garage sales, because dumb people swarm to outdated EA games for older consoles for some odd reason, and those are the games that are hard to sell on here, so might as well, but nothing should be out there that's actually of any value.

I overprice all my stuff at my sales and actually tend to do surprisingly well. Mostly because I am willing to go down if I am asked but people tend to buy my Gamecube stuff at like $10 each whenever I bring it out. I have never understood it lol. PS2 stuff doesn't move at yard sales though. PS1 stuff does alright.

Agree with everyone above. Garage sales are a buyer's market. People expect to have things that are incredibly cheap. I broke yard sale kayfabe once and paid $15 for a copy of Little Big Planet, but that's an extremely rare occurrence. More usual is the time that I paid $20 for a box of about two dozen NES RPGs with manuals (no boxes :( that later fetched me upwards of $400.

I sold some things off at a yardsale earlier this year. I tried to sell a lot of it here, but people just weren't interested. Since I wanted to get rid of the stuff, I gave people fair deals and did pretty well.

Much of it wasn't worth selling on ebay by the time shipping hassles, non-paying bidders, and ebay/paypal fees were factored in.

It's already been said a number of times, but throw one more on the pile: don't bother with a garage sale. It is most definitely a buyer's market. People are looking for steals...not to pay a fair value.

[quote name='CaoPi']I'm considering selling some of my old ps2, gamecube, psp and xbox games, anyone have any advice on this? I've never done one. My other choice would be to sell them as a bundle on amazon[/QUOTE]

I'm in a different camp.
IF you are having a household sale anyway...put them out with firm prices that you want.
Depending on where you live, neighbors just might give you your asking price (but most likely not hardcore yard salers...)
Neighbors and neighborhood kids are great....

I had about 50 PS2 games to sell.
First I looked them up on the bay and amazon...after fees and time not worth it ...
For grins, I took them next to GS who was running the trade 3 worth more than $2 and receive an extra $10...
ended up trading in 9 (I had post-its on each one as to my perceived value...) so it was easy to decide.
I then took the remaining batch home and listed the group on craigslist for what I thought I would "net" selling them on the bay/amazon ... had a buyer withing 2 hours ...

If I had a garage sale in my mix...why not try to sell a few at net value? Best case sell some worse case sell them another way...
bottom line, do the research on what each is worth and go from there ....

thanks for the tips, the marketplace isn't generally a good way to gauge from experience. All my feedbacks left were from items traded

As for as Amazon's trade in program is there a limit to how many games you can send in a bundle?

Also has anyone here tried out Toys R Us trade in program?

I would really recommend posting all your games here and trying to get offers first.. but thats me. Unless you dont want to hassle with shipping or something, it cant hurt.

The problem here is that people get turned off at high priced stuff at yard sales, games for $10 each no matter what game it is, is too much for around here. I go to lots of yard sales and talk to people, if people feel the prices are too high on some items they will come to the sale, and leave right away without buying anything or looking at anything else (this is bad for the rest of your sale). If you are having a yard sale, everything has to be cheap, or else people just won't be interested. Other areas might be different than mine.

Also it costs money to run a yard sale here unless you live on a main road where you can get away with getting tons of customers without an advertisement. Most people here who have yard sales don't sell half the stuff they have even if prices are rock bottom. You have to factor these things into it as well.

Personally here its cheaper to pay ebay/paypal fees and less work to sell games for me instead of setting up a sale and paying for an ad (if you don't have an ad no one will come here). If you sell your games in a bundle on ebay you can minimize listing fees and selling to one buyer is much more convenient than individual listings.

Like I said earlier I am able to usually get away with marking my games for what I want to get which is usually a bit below ebay. For example with my gamecube games I put all the crap games at $5 each and then my Marios were 10 each and my RE4 was 15 and some lady swooped in and took all my good games at 10 each just because she knew she could make like $6 more on ebay lol. We are fortunate enough to be able to have a sale on a main drag, Route 5 right along Lake Erie plus the ads are very cheap in our local paper.

[quote name='CaoPi']thanks for the tips, the marketplace isn't generally a good way to gauge from experience. All my feedbacks left were from items traded

As for as Amazon's trade in program is there a limit to how many games you can send in a bundle?

Also has anyone here tried out Toys R Us trade in program?[/QUOTE]
The TRU program is ok, but anything older than a year or two is going to fetch you jack shit unless it's something popular or rare.

The good part is that you can look up values before you even go in-store, so at least that way you're not wasting your time going there to get pennies on the dollar. Here's their website to look up your games on:

www.toysrustradeincenter.com

bread's done
Back