Assassin's Creed II on PC 14.99

Pretty sure you paid for OnLive, chief.

Speaking of AC2, I don't think this is worth buying until they get rid of the ridiculous DRM that requires you to be online to play - or have they already?

[quote name='hordak']Nice, but I got it for free on OnLive. :)[/QUOTE]
I laughed out loud. No offense, but that's not something I'd flaunt around.

It's not as good as a dollar with a free copy of the first game (Dang, still can't believe Ubisoft honored that fiasco); but it's still a great deal. The DRM sucks; but for $15, the game is definitely worth playing :)

Has anybody that called inquired about the preorder purchases? They were still digital downloads, so who knows.

Also, I have a spare activation key for Splinter Cell Conviction if somebody wants to trade.

[quote name='wasurenai']Pretty sure you paid for OnLive, chief.[/QUOTE]

LOL! :) Well, they gave the first year free with a free game. So far, I've paid zero dollars.

[quote name='hordak']LOL! :) Well, they gave the first year free with a free game. So far, I've paid zero dollars.[/QUOTE]

That works out, then, since you don't own any games either.

I'm personally boycotting Ubi games on PC until they ditch that craptacular DRM.

[quote name='bluedeviltron']Never buying a Ubisoft game at launch again.[/QUOTE]

Someone should make people read that before they can register on CAG. Ubisoft puts their games on sale almost immediately after their release date.

Never ever preorder or buy an Ubisoft title, no matter how awesome, at launch because when the sale comes (and it will come very quickly), you'll be kicking yourself.

That said, this one was pretty ripe for this because of the way they flaunted their new DRM. Honestly, you're not doing your game any favors when you talk extensively about how "awesome" your new DRM is that kicks you out of the game the second you lose your internet connection. Oh, I think they've softened it some in that it does keep your save (I think?), but damn, is that really the press you want for your title?

I think Ubisoft's marketing and sales departments are run by monkeys and seahorses, respectively. And I think these particular monkeys and seahorses were dropped when they were very young.

I believe currently, if you lose your internet connection it does a quick save, and you can reload once you get it back. Still annoying, should your connection not be stable.

Honestly, having played MMOs, and multiplayer online games for that matter, "always-on-internet required" doesn't phase me anymore. Yes, it's a singleplayer game, but I have an always-on connection anyway, so what does it matter?

The Ubi DRM is, IMO, better than the old SecuRom of "You're running Deamon Tools, so I won't let you play" or "I don't like your DVD drive, so I won't let you play." Spellforce and Gothic had the worst DRM. Sure, it was a huge pain to crack, and prevented piracy, but it was also a huge pain to legit users, and it's not like pirates buy games they can't crack.

[quote name='mattcube64']It's not as good as a dollar with a free copy of the first game (Dang, still can't believe Ubisoft honored that fiasco); but it's still a great deal. The DRM sucks; but for $15, the game is definitely worth playing :)[/QUOTE]

I actually have an extra copy from that sale (just AC2). If anybody wants it, I'd let it go for cheaper than what Ubisoft wants. Also have Prince of Persia.

The DRM is ridiculous in principle, but in reality it isn't that invasive. It quick saves if you lose your connection, and they'll probably have to patch the drm out at some point unless they want to keep maintaining servers.

I wound up getting this for a buck last week. Game wouldn't even load for me at first since by university network probably has some port blocked that it needs for it's always online DRM. Thank god it's been cracked or I wouldn't even be able to play it.

[quote name='bluedeviltron']Never buying a Ubisoft game at launch again.[/QUOTE]

This is sad though because Ubi makes pretty good games and I believe the reason the price drops so fast is because their games are usually single-player focused, so once people beat them, there's no point in playing them again. So I think the company loses out to used-game places like GameStop when all the kids sell these games back and then another kid buys it because its $55 instead of $60.

Of course as consumers we want the lowest price... i can't really blame you though - I dont buy many games at launch unless there's some multi-player aspect that I am really buying it for.

[quote name='geogerf']This is sad though because Ubi makes pretty good games and I believe the reason the price drops so fast is because their games are usually single-player focused, so once people beat them, there's no point in playing them again. So I think the company loses out to used-game places like GameStop when all the kids sell these games back and then another kid buys it because its $55 instead of $60.

Of course as consumers we want the lowest price... i can't really blame you though - I dont buy many games at launch unless there's some multi-player aspect that I am really buying it for.[/QUOTE]

If short games were priced with the prices of short games, especially games with limited multiplayer, then those games would sell more. The fact that used titles sell so well proves it. If I was Ubisoft (and we were talking about console games), I'd do three things:

1) Make a significant part of my game be DLC that is free with new purchase
2) Price a game based on time it takes most players to complete. Greater than 10 hours or extensive multiplayer, $60. Less than 8, $40. Less than 6, $30. Less than 4, $20.
3) Start my own game reward program where if you buy a certain number of my titles, you'd get points to apply discounts toward new games once you submitted a proof of purchase code included with each game (that also ties into your DLC from #1).

These would encourage sales. Lower prices for games with shorter experiences, a point system, and required DLC to play a majority of the experience would be enough to encourage gamers to buy new.

Imo.

As for PC games, well like I said. They bragged needlessly about their DRM and when the news stories were everywhere talking about AC2 was going to lock people out if their ISP went down. Sales were guaranteed to tank then. The only thing making me hesitate on this deal, imo, is the thought that a Steam sale will come along, knock 66% off this, and give me the advantages of Steam. Steam doesn't replace the DRM, but I actually prefer the convenience of not having to search around for a disc and then hunt for patches.

So $15 at amazon now for a disc or the potential for a $13-15 Steam sale. If only everyone who wanted online DRM just used Steamworks, my decision would have been a lot easier... (

[quote name='bobsaysblah']I actually have an extra copy from that sale (just AC2). If anybody wants it, I'd let it go for cheaper than what Ubisoft wants. Also have Prince of Persia.

The DRM is ridiculous in principle, but in reality it isn't that invasive. It quick saves if you lose your connection, and they'll probably have to patch the drm out at some point unless they want to keep maintaining servers.[/QUOTE]
How about 99 cents ? :D

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Hmm, is it piracy if I buy it, and then use something to kill the DRM? Does such a tool exist?[/QUOTE]

Not piracy but you will break EULA

[quote name='appleyum']How about 99 cents ? :D[/QUOTE]

Well I paid a little more than that (around $1.10), if somebody wants AC2 and Prince of Persia, I'd let both go for $5 total or a cheap steam game or something.

When Ubisoft had that $1 each for Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 Animus Bundle, I bought them both. At 1st, all I got for Assassin's Creed was a text file saying this is your game download. Since I used Paypal, I disputed the transaction because I didn't get what I originally ordered.

After I did that, I got a email the next day saying that they were sorry for their mistake and included a coupon code that would make buying it again free. I really didn't expect to actually get the games, and was only expecting to get the $1 back. Not sure if Ubisoft would do the same thing if the buyer used a credit card. For others that tried buying Assassin's Creed for $1, did you eventually get the games as well?

[quote name='Squall_L_FF8']When Ubisoft had that $1 each for Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 Animus Bundle, I bought them both. At 1st, all I got for Assassin's Creed was a text file saying this is your game download. Since I used Paypal, I disputed the transaction because I didn't get what I originally ordered.

After I did that, I got a email the next day saying that they were sorry for their mistake and included a coupon code that would make buying it again free. I really didn't expect to actually get the games, and was only expecting to get the $1 back. Not sure if Ubisoft would do the same thing if the buyer used a credit card. For others that tried buying Assassin's Creed for $1, did you eventually get the games as well?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

stupid question but if I am getting a new laptop and just used the serial keys on my current laptop. I can't put the games on my new laptop?

bread's done
Back