best place to get xbl points?

I find myself getting XBL points cards at TRU when they have their 25% all gaming accessories (although they have not done it in a while). $30 for 2800 pts is better than $40.

[quote name='wingy17']I find myself getting XBL points cards at TRU when they have their 25% all gaming accessories (although they have not done it in a while). $30 for 2800 pts is better than $40.[/QUOTE]
Or when they had buy one accessory get $20 off second accessory. $20 for 2800 points is better than $30.

XBL and Wii Points Cards are always at those fixed prices. The best time to buy them is when:

1. National Grocers stores like Loblaws, RCSS and Independent have their (now) HST sales.

2. Somebody has the points $5 off, usually TRU.

3. The sale mentioned above at TRU.

FutureShop and BestBuy also have their "appreciation" sales, which usually gives you anywhere between 10 and 20% off XBL points cards. FutureShop's last one was only 10% though, didn't even save you tax!

I'm so frustrated with Live cards it's not even funny. I've actually started buying anything I would normally purchase through Xbox Live on PSN lately. For example, I bought Shank on PSN and taxes in it came to just under $17 whereas a 1400 point card is over $22 after taxes and Shank is 1200 points on 360. It would be a different story if we were actually getting 1600 points for our $20 like our friends south of the border.

I'm done ranting. :D

[quote name='TripleQ']Didn't someone post a cool story about how the newer (activated at cashier) cards are non-taxable now?[/QUOTE]

I hope that doesn't mean they're becoming like PSN cards and won't ever go on sale again!

[quote name='TripleQ']Didn't someone post a cool story about how the newer (activated at cashier) cards are non-taxable now?[/QUOTE]

yeah I bought one the other day and it was exactly 19.99

fine, i'll bite lol
that was one awesome thread :applause:

[quote name='matsam']I hope that doesn't mean they're becoming like PSN cards and won't ever go on sale again![/QUOTE]

There are two kinds of cards. The ones in the plastic clamshells are taxed and may be included during a sale. The other ones are the regular gift cards without any security because they need to be scanned at the cashier, which are not taxed.

[quote name='Mr.']There are two kinds of cards. The ones in the plastic clamshells are taxed and may be included during a sale. The other ones are the regular gift cards without any security because they need to be scanned at the cashier, which are not taxed.[/QUOTE]

Is the tax not taken once the card is loaded into your 360? I know when you buy content on PSN, taxes are added up in your shopping cart.

Microsoft does things differently. You redeem the points on your card, which is either 1400 or 2800 Microsoft Points. When you purchase something on Live Marketplace, it just takes your points, there are no monetary value attached to the transaction.

[quote name='Apollo Creed']I'm so frustrated with Live cards it's not even funny. I've actually started buying anything I would normally purchase through Xbox Live on PSN lately. For example, I bought Shank on PSN and taxes in it came to just under $17 whereas a 1400 point card is over $22 after taxes and Shank is 1200 points on 360. It would be a different story if we were actually getting 1600 points for our $20 like our friends south of the border.

I'm done ranting. :D[/QUOTE]

You do realize that MS wont accept most Mexican credit cards and they normally pay 75% to 100% more for games, consoles, accessories ect... A PsP3000 goes for almost $500.00 in Mexico and that's not Pesos. This is why Mexican retailers buy out the stock of border town Gamestops along the southwest border. Since even if they buy retail (Tax Free) they still make a huge profit.

Now when Juan Schmo comes across the border to buy.... Then they don't pay taxes into the economy either since all Non-residing Non-US Citizens are tax exempt... Neither do most of the illegals residing here... =/

[quote name='kyle071785']...who brought up Mexico? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]
Not quite sure. I'm just hoping we'll see a 1600 point card for our $20 in the future.

[quote name='kyle071785']...who brought up Mexico? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I believe he did not realize this thread was in the Canada sub-forum, where the term "south of the border" would refer to the USA.

In the US the term "south of the border" would be talking about Mexico.

[quote name='Apollo Creed']Not quite sure. I'm just hoping we'll see a 1600 point card for our $20 in the future.[/QUOTE]
In all honesty, I wish they'd drop the whole points system altogether. I much, much prefer the PlayStation Store's way of doing it, I know exactly how much I'm paying, none of this shady point-to-dollar conversion needed.

[quote name='Adamantum']In all honesty, I wish they'd drop the whole points system altogether. I much, much prefer the PlayStation Store's way of doing it, I know exactly how much I'm paying, none of this shady point-to-dollar conversion needed.[/QUOTE]I prefer the way it is now that way we can pick points up when they go on sale. We'll never get that on the PS3.

I wouldn't mind the points if we weren't constantly getting shafted 200 on every 1400 point card. In the marketplace, 400 points is supposed to be the equivalent of $5. :(

I needed to top-up my points yesterday to buy Scott Pilgrim so I went to FS to try what was mentioned earlier in the thread. The cards that need to be activated by the cashier that are not in the clamshell are indeed tax free. This makes it the everyday cheapest way to get points. The 1400 points cost me exactly $19.99, and I've seen these cards everywhere-- FS, BB, HMV, and even grocery stores.

[quote name='Adamantum']I needed to top-up my points yesterday to buy Scott Pilgrim so I went to FS to try what was mentioned earlier in the thread. The cards that need to be activated by the cashier that are not in the clamshell are indeed tax free. This makes it the everyday cheapest way to get points. The 1400 points cost me exactly $19.99, and I've seen these cards everywhere-- FS, BB, HMV, and even grocery stores.[/QUOTE]

The cashier at the FS wouldn't let me buy those cards over near the registers. He said they don't work.

Anyway, RCSS and Loblaws have a Tax Free event today and tomorrow and I splurged on a 2800 card so with 4400 points on me, I'm probably set for the remainder of the year.

I never see xbl points on sale in bb or futureshop. maybe im not looking hard enough. and theres no loblaws in Edmonton where I am. at least we don't pay pst

bread's done
Back