New CAG Feature: Community Lists

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]17607[/IMG-R]Thanks to the efforts of Super Programmer John, CAGs can now easily create and maintain custom video game lists! Features include automatic box art insertion, access to latest prices, and several list formatting options.

We'll be keeping an eye out for quality lists to be featured on the front page and are looking forward to your feedback to see how we can improve upon this new feature.

iconcag.gif
CAG Community Lists

I think this is a great way to expand an already quality website, but I will call bullshit on one thing you said. That being:
We'll be keeping an eye out for quality lists to be featured on the front page
You said the same thing about blogs when they were first launched and other then Shipwrecks and Wombat's reviews I haven't seen that at all. Not trying to sound like a dick (but I probably did) just stating my opinion.

I will say that the automatically uploading box art is a fantastic feature, so kudos to John.

[quote name='elessar123']Ouch, what a nasty first post =P[/QUOTE]
Hey now, I said two nice things and one bad thing. So far that's +1 :)

More is better, though I doubt I'll use this, but who knows? In a year I may look at this comment and laugh at my ignorance.

Hi future self!

I used to visit Gamefaqs daily to read the Featured Top 10, looks like I'll be doing that here now.

[quote name='MattJ1991']I think this is a great way to expand an already quality website, but I will call bullshit on one thing you said. That being:

You said the same thing about blogs when they were first launched and other then Shipwrecks and Wombat's reviews I haven't seen that at all. Not trying to sound like a dick (but I probably did) just stating my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

I've seen a few blogs that some regular CAGs have written that have made front page. You have to remember that Cheapy used the word 'quality' and let's be honest here, most of the blogs aren't much on quality and the ones that are aren't even about video games in general.

[quote name='Indignate']I've seen a few blogs that some regular CAGs have written that have made front page. You have to remember that Cheapy used the word 'quality' and let's be honest here, most of the blogs aren't much on quality and the ones that are aren't even about video games in general.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point

I'm really digging the new lists. I bet this is already planned, but I think there needs to be some search and sort abilities for the lists. For example, sort the lists by date added, most viewed, most comments, search list titles for keywords like "worst", etc. Also I noticed there was a facebook like option inside each list; could there also be an internal rating system so we could also sort by rating?

[quote name='sokmaster']I'm really digging the new lists. I bet this is already planned, but I think there needs to be some search and sort abilities for the lists. For example, sort the lists by date added, most viewed, most comments, search list titles for keywords like "worst", etc. Also I noticed there was a facebook like option inside each list; could there also be an internal rating system so we could also sort by rating?[/QUOTE]

You can already search, there's a "lists" tab in the search bar.

Does it show if the game is in the list-maker's collection or if they have beaten it? Cause I'd tranfer my GB lists over if that were the case.

I love the "Playing" and "Beaten" icons in my collection, but they're never used anywhere else.

Is the lists tab going to be made to be more like the blog one? Right now all it has is: my lists and add new list. It should have: Latest Lists, and Friends' Lists

[quote name='zenprime']Is the lists tab going to be made to be more like the blog one? Right now all it has is: my lists and add new list. It should have: Latest Lists, and Friends' Lists[/QUOTE]
I like this idea.

We need to be able to delete our own lists and browse others' lists. Right now, the only lists we'll see are the most popular/newest ones.

Edit: Oh god. Please make it so we have an option to not display lists underneath our username by our posts. D:

Can we fix the picture issue where you click them and they shrink to 1 pixel, so I can't click on any embedded pictures in blogs or elsewhere instead of adding lists?

Are all lists forced to be in the public feed? I'd use this for a list of games I've beaten since the current collection feature doesn't support that, but I doubt anybody cares what I've beaten so I'd like to keep it private to keep the feed less cluttered.

There's an option to make them private.

Hide/Save as Draft?
If yes, this list will only be visible to yourself and moderators. Handy if this is a work in progress, or a list for personal reference

[quote name='DarkSageRK']There's an option to make them private.[/QUOTE]
It works like it does on the blogs, which I don't care for at all.

I'd rather have an actual private category that shows up under My Lists and not be hidden under the general List page and the list needs to appear as a Private List in its page since it just looks like a normal list that everyone else can view. I wouldn't be able to tell that it's only viewable to me without guessing that because of it just having one view.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It works like it does on the blogs, which I don't care for at all.

I'd rather have an actual private category that shows up under My Lists and not be hidden under the general List page and the list needs to appear as a Private List in its page since it just looks like a normal list that everyone else can view. I wouldn't be able to tell that it's only viewable to me without guessing that because of it just having one view.[/QUOTE]

Private lists have now been split off in their own section.

How do you edit your own list? I accidentally posted one, and I hadn't begun adding anything to it. It seems that I just posed a blank page, and I can't find an option to edit it.

[quote name='John']Private lists have now been split off in their own section.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

Is there any chance of adding a spot to show many games are in a list next to where it shows how many comments and views a list has? That's the only other thing I'd like to see so I don't have to scroll down down to the bottom to see how many games are on the list, if the list is numbered.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Thanks.

Is there any chance of adding a spot to show many games are in a list next to where it shows how many comments and views a list has? That's the only other thing I'd like to see so I don't have to scroll down down to the bottom to see how many games are on the list, if the list is numbered.[/QUOTE]

Done.

[quote name='cdietschrun']Can we fix the picture issue where you click them and they shrink to 1 pixel, so I can't click on any embedded pictures in blogs or elsewhere instead of adding lists?[/QUOTE].

[quote name='cdietschrun']Can we fix the picture issue where you click them and they shrink to 1 pixel, so I can't click on any embedded pictures in blogs or elsewhere instead of adding lists?[/QUOTE]What browser (and version) are you using?

At work I use CentOS 5.4 (which is basically Red Hat, which again is Linux) 64 bit and I use chrome..at home I use Windows 7 64 bit and chrome also...same issue on both. Chrome related I guess?

Thanks John and Cheapy, nice to know my comments on the gamelist were taken into account and implemented.

(Here I just thought John was ignoring me. ;) I shoulda known better :D)

Kudos guys, it means a lot not being taken for granted when all someone wants to do is help, so thank you very much for taking the time and making this an even better system for everyone to use. :applause:

While browsing a list by GIDoty, my OCD kicked in regarding the cover art placement and thought I'd offer a little suggestion. Pics and comments in the spoiler below.

Right now cover art is aligned to be in the middle of the whole list entry.
t5DLa.png

My suggestion is to align the cover art to the top with the title.
lghmp.png

[quote name='sokmaster']While browsing a list by GIDoty, my OCD kicked in regarding the cover art placement and thought I'd offer a little suggestion. Pics and comments in the spoiler below.

Right now cover art is aligned to be in the middle of the whole list entry.
t5DLa.png

My suggestion is to align the cover art to the top with the title.
lghmp.png
[/QUOTE]

Cover art vertical alignment OCD? ;)

Yeah, I think it looks better. Changed.

What about an option to view a list of all lists? Right now all we can see are the newest and the most popular - seems like the ones that fall inbetween get lost.

Can list updates be added to the Activity Feed like the blogs (new comments on my lists, friends posting their own lists, and friends commenting on other lists)?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']What about an option to view a list of all lists? Right now all we can see are the newest and the most popular - seems like the ones that fall inbetween get lost.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Can list updates be added to the Activity Feed like the blogs (new comments on my lists, friends posting their own lists, and friends commenting on other lists)?[/QUOTE]

Both being worked on.

Lists/list comments have been added to the activity feed.

Edit: Added new "browse lists" option to the list menu in the navbar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started using the lists and it is awesome! Thanks so much for putting all the work into this. I will definitely be adding a few lists of my own!

I do have a suggestion. I'm currently working on a list for the games I have completed in my backlog so I have a little more organized option. However, a lot of the games I play are not very common/popular and some of them are not showing up when I search for the game. It would be great to have the option of adding your own game to the list if it doesn't show up when searching.

Also, a few of the games I have searched for come up, but only for systems I don't have it on. Not really a big deal, but maybe the option to change the system would be a good idea.

Thanks again, this is going to be a lot of fun to make some lists and also see the other lists that are being created!

[quote name='John']Lists/list comments have been added to the activity feed.

Edit: Added new "browse lists" option to the list menu in the navbar.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, John! :D

Is anyone else having problems adding games to their lists right now?
It shows that I'm adding the games but when I click submit changes this appears...
errrrrrrorrrrr.jpg

I like it. I haven't used it much but I like it. Nice job.

What sucks for me is I want to make lists of upcoming games but they aren't in the database to add. I see where I can "submit game to cag", but I don't see anywhere to include the box art pics. Am I missing something? Halllp!

[quote name='ShockandAww']I like it. I haven't used it much but I like it. Nice job.

What sucks for me is I want to make lists of upcoming games but they aren't in the database to add. I see where I can "submit game to cag", but I don't see anywhere to include the box art pics. Am I missing something? Halllp![/QUOTE]

Once you add the game you can upload box art.

[quote name='GIDoty']Is there any way to save a list so I can go back to it later (make a draft list)? I messed up and posted my My Games of the Year 1994- 2010 list that was a work in progress :(

P.S. mods can u delete my list, I can't figure that out either[/QUOTE]

Edit your list, and there's an option for "Hide/Save as Draft?" - set that to "Yes" and no-one else will be able to see it.

bread's done
Back