- - - - -

So does anyone have pics of toy aisles from the 80s?

#31 Calinks   Chief Executive of St. Paul CAGing CAGiversary!   1151 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

thats what gave kmarts their charm. i loved how kids would try and hide shit beind ther toys or in other sections of the store in hopes of getting it later. i found alot of great stuff that way like that MASK scott and tbob set as well as that 57 chevy car. talk about a series with cool stuff.

http://www.albertpen.../mask/toys.html

HAHA! I know, it was crazy. There was always that one thing you wanted and you had to sift through to get it. Kids would steal crap too. I remember one time when I was little I was in a grocery store and they had a little toy section. I was looking around and saw some handcuffs that were missing. I had the box in my hand and was wondering who took it. Some employee came by and looked down at me. I looked up at him and said, "Look, someone took it!" He looked back at me and was like "Yea, it was you." Then he just stared at me and walked off. Freaking jackass. He made me feel bad for nothing.

#32 wune   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   401 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:15 AM

Posted Image

Had that. Also I agree with what you said in your post. I wasn't 80's though, I was 90's. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers whaddup

#33 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14006 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

I took my nephew into Walmart the other day to pick out a toy for his birthday. Damn, the toys section was such a letdown.

Like the pictures posted, the aisles were floor to ceiling filled with toys when I was younger. Action figures were the best. I cannot believe how weak the selection was when my nephew and I went in. (Plus, there's no way I'd pay $10 for the sorry looking action figures they had there.)

I remember my Dad traveling around with me to track down the first April O'Neal Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figure. Took us about ten stores before we nabbed the last one. I played with those things for years.

What's sad is that I don't think toys will have such importance to the current (and future) children. Look at all the guys that have come in here with their own stories; these were like your lifeblood as kids. Now, I see my nephews playing with toys for a few days before they broken/forgotten. :l

#34 J7.   $$$$ It CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

Pre-80's = Inferior materials, electronics, marketing, etc because they lacked the know-how.

80's = Convergence of excellence.

Post-80's = Inferior materials, electronics, marketing, etc because they used/developed the cheapest shit to maximize profits.

#35 SolidSnake86   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1445 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

SolidSnake86

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

Oh man, this is so awesome! Stores today suck. I still have the Ghostbusters Fire-House, they sure as hell don't make toys like that anymore.

#36 mitch079   Don't be a moron! CAGiversary!   12699 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

Child World/Children's Palace was another great toy store I loved going to as a kid in the 80s.

#37 Spacepest   Your Tax Dollars At Work CAGiversary!   1217 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Spacepest

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

So that is why those kids were looking for super soakers when I was garage saleing...I still have at least 2 of mine. I also have 2 motorized all black submachine gun style water guns with extra clips.

OMG I remember having the black machine gun waterguns, with extra clips. Mine was battery powered, and looked suspiciously like the real thing. My cousin had one that looked like a black rocket launcher, plus the machine gun. We used to go all around the neighborhood and local park during the summer and shoot each other up. Nowadays I'm pretty sure if we did that someone would call the cops, who would then come and open fire on us.

Oh yeah, we also had lawn darts with metal in them. We never skewered anybody.

I knew my childhood was over when our local newspaper reported a cop had open fired and injured some kids playing lazertag in an abandoned lot. Because you know, kids in shiny lazertag vests with huge plastic guns look just like criminals wearing bullet proof vests (which was the reason the cop stated for mowing them down).

#38 BlueWingX   Master of Trivia CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

BlueWingX

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Born in 84. I just missed out on Transformers, He-Man, Voltron etc. but I came up with Ninja Turtles, X-Men, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, Toy guns, Happy Meals, and a dozen other things.

I hope this isn't going too far off topic, but since you mentioned it, and we seem to be in full on 80's nostalgia mode... What the hell happened to Happy Meals? I remember when I was a kid that the toys were almost always awesome. (Does anyone remember the Changables? The little transformer type toys that transformed into McDonalds food items... One year, they even did dino ones.) Anyway, the commercials always used to say "A new toy every Friday". It was like a ritual for me and my mom. Every Saturday, we'd stop at McDonalds while we were out running errands, and I could get the newest Happy Meal toy.

Now, it seems like the toys keep getting crappier. Transformers toys that don't even pose, let alone transform. LEGO toys that are just prebuilt nonsense. On top of that, there's no logical release schedule. It's just a game of whatever they ended up with. When you could end up getting toy #7 on the first week of release, how are you supposed to find the one you did want?

I'll post more later to talk about actual toy store aisles including my old stomping grounds, Lionel Playworld. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

#39 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12512 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Child World/Children's Palace was another great toy store I loved going to as a kid in the 80s.

This. Circuit City would to buy their old buildings when they closed. There was also a toy store named Kiddie City that was cool.

I remember going to Child World when it was closing and basically buying every sky commander at 40% off. That is when the deal hunting began!

OMG I remember having the black machine gun waterguns, with extra clips. Mine was battery powered, and looked suspiciously like the real thing. My cousin had one that looked like a black rocket launcher, plus the machine gun. We used to go all around the neighborhood and local park during the summer and shoot each other up. Nowadays I'm pretty sure if we did that someone would call the cops, who would then come and open fire on us.

Probably the same ones I have. They had a curved clip like an ak-47, and I think they came with 2 extra clips per gun. They ran on 4 AA batteries that would go in the handle. I can;t seem to find a pic of them anywhere on the internet. I'll have to look for them...

(Does anyone remember the Changables? The little transformer type toys that transformed into McDonalds food items...

This guy?

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by slowdive21, 29 August 2010 - 06:00 PM.
added pics

#40 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14006 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

I hope this isn't going too far off topic, but since you mentioned it, and we seem to be in full on 80's nostalgia mode... What the hell happened to Happy Meals? I remember when I was a kid that the toys were almost always awesome. (Does anyone remember the Changables? The little transformer type toys that transformed into McDonalds food items... One year, they even did dino ones.) Anyway, the commercials always used to say "A new toy every Friday". It was like a ritual for me and my mom. Every Saturday, we'd stop at McDonalds while we were out running errands, and I could get the newest Happy Meal toy.

Now, it seems like the toys keep getting crappier. Transformers toys that don't even pose, let alone transform. LEGO toys that are just prebuilt nonsense. On top of that, there's no logical release schedule. It's just a game of whatever they ended up with. When you could end up getting toy #7 on the first week of release, how are you supposed to find the one you did want?

I'll post more later to talk about actual toy store aisles including my old stomping grounds, Lionel Playworld. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

One of my aunts lives in Michigan. The first time I met her (when I was 4 or 5 or so) we went to her house, and she had floor-to-ceiling McDonald's toys in her house. Everywhere.

I was fascinated. The toys were of great quality, and most of them were extremely cool. That's what got me started on collecting them.

Back at my folks house, the attic and my old room are still stuffed with boxed up McDonald's toys. I've got a large amount of full collections, and remember everyone of the sets you mentioned. They were indeed awesome.

Seems like they've been dialed back over the years. I imagine they don't go after movie/cartoon licenses as much as they used to, and I'm sure build quality has went down (all to save money). :(

#41 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

I remember those Changeables. I also remember Burger King having way better toys than McDonald's.

#42 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Oh yeah, we also had lawn darts with metal in them. We never skewered anybody.

I knew my childhood was over when our local newspaper reported a cop had open fired and injured some kids playing lazertag in an abandoned lot. Because you know, kids in shiny lazertag vests with huge plastic guns look just like criminals wearing bullet proof vests (which was the reason the cop stated for mowing them down).

i remeber that story about the kid getting killed because of his lazer tag gun i also remember those cool electric waterguns that loked like real weapons and the push to get rid of all of them. fun while it lasted but like always because of one stupid incedent or accident all us kids got screwed over.

#43 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

I remember those Changeables. I also remember Burger King having way better toys than McDonald's.

are you sure about that i remember mcdonalds having awesome ass toys. they had those muppet baby toys with vehicles. those mcdonald character pull back cars. hell they even had small transformers and lego sets.

#44 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3021 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

LOVED CHILDREN"s Palace

#45 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3021 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

are you sure about that i remember mcdonalds having awesome ass toys. they had those muppet baby toys with vehicles. those mcdonald character pull back cars. hell they even had small transformers and lego sets.

THe muppet babies toys were sick. However, I dont think they were with the happy meals. I think they costed a little more.

#46 Dick Tracy   The Man in the Yellow Hat CAGiversary!   38659 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

I saw some of my old Changeables in my parents' attic, last week.

#47 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

THe muppet babies toys were sick. However, I dont think they were with the happy meals. I think they costed a little more.

heres what im talking about.

http://muppet.wikia....Meal_toys_(1987)

heres an add for the food changeables .

#48 Steggy   Shhhhhhhhh CAGiversary!   7546 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

I remember those changeables. They must have done a re-run in the mid 90's? I have the complete set but mine look nothing like the commercial ones.

#49 HeadRusch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1290 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

HeadRusch

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

The shot of that wall of GI Joe, circa 1983 or 84 or so, actually made my nipples hard. GOOD JOB OP!

I should also point out that those x-men figures (Man I have a whole attic of those things carded and boxed I think....what was I thinking!? :P) are from the early to mid 90's, not the 80's.

And I will also have to say that the 80's will forever go down in Toy/Action Figure history........<wipes tears from eyes>....but how could you expect anything else, when almost every
1/2 hour cartoon was designed primarily to sell toys? :D GI Joe and Transformers were 1/2 hour commercials, interspersed with real GI Joe toy commercials. Oh those were the days...

http://home.comcast....Charger_WEB.mpg

http://home.comcast....Rattler_WEB.mpg

http://home.comcast....mmander_WEB.mpg

#50 saad77   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   215 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

Man, this brings back so many memories. I had about 80% of those GI Joe toys in that aisle. I was a pretty spoiled kid, and I'm glad I was and got to play with all those cool toys. I also had a lot of transformers, star wars, m.a.s.k., he-man, voltron, madballs, visionaries, sky commanders, and probably a few others I can't recall. I also had one of those motorized squirt guns that looked like a machine gun as well as most of those happy meal changeables.

I also remember Childrens Palace opening outside a mall I used to go to. They didn't last very long though as there was a TRU nearby as well. I do remember that my parents went there to get me the etch a sketch animator.

The only remnants I have from my collection now are a few gi joe, transformer and star wars figures that are falling apart. My favourite thing I still have around from the 80's are a bunch of spinjas, which i've been trying to find more of, but seem impossible to find.

#51 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

heres a question about a toy ive been trying to find the name of for a while now. there was this series of hidden toys in that the toys themselves were inside of something that looked like a cassette tape but you open them up and inside you might find a skeleton with a sword and shield or any number of other things. i always regretted not getting the skeleton when i had the chance but to this day ive never found anything out about the.

#52 BlueWingX   Master of Trivia CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

BlueWingX

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

Aw man, thanks for posting those vids, Lokizz. That was an awesome memory trip. I had all those Muppet Babies toys, too.

I promised I'd be back to talk about my toy aisle memories. There are so many different toy store memories I have as a kid. Lionel Playworld was a big part of my childhood. It's where I got my original LEGO Pirates sets. It's also where I somewhat foolishly spent all the money I had saved for an NES on a nearly complete collection of Starcom toys at clearance prices. Starcom is one of those somewhat forgotten toy lines that really deserves more love. All the wind-up and magnet powered features of the series were really impressive.

The tale of another unfairly forgotten toy line brings me to another variety of toy aisle, the catalog showrooms. In AZ, we had Best, and eventually Service Merchandise. For those who don't remember these, they were really kinda cool as a kid. Some of the smaller toys were available on the shelf, but if you wanted the larger toys, that's where the fun started. You'd either fill out an order form for your item, or in later years, order your item through a computer kiosk, and then you'd head to the checkout, where you could watch your new toy come out from the storeroom on a conveyor belt. This is how I first met my PowerJet XT-7 from Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. Man, was that an awesome show! Sure, it was a great excuse to sell toys, but it had a serious story going on. Sometimes, I'd get so enthralled with the story, that I'd forget to even play along with the PowerJet.

I think I've been longwinded enough for now. Maybe I should just start a blog about all my toy memories...

#53 halofreak64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   257 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

halofreak64

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

I was a 90s kid but I still remember toy stores like that and dam the happy meal toys I just found a ton of them when I was packing last week I have all the disney ones and power rangers.

#54 gargus   Banned Banned   2231 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

This thread is making me sick. When I was little I had alot of this shit and more but when my parents finally got divorced my dad threw out all of our shit including half my damn clothes and I went to live at my grandmothers on the farm. I lost all that cool stuff I wish I still had.

Im not looking at stuff through rose tinted glasses, I honestly thought the 80s had the best toys ever. But soon as you started seeing toy guns with orange tips and suddenly all the action figures could make sparks come out of their chest with a dial on the back they all quickly went down the shitter.

#55 HeadRusch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1290 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

HeadRusch

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

heres a question about a toy ive been trying to find the name of for a while now. there was this series of hidden toys in that the toys themselves were inside of something that looked like a cassette tape but you open them up and inside you might find a skeleton with a sword and shield or any number of other things. i always regretted not getting the skeleton when i had the chance but to this day ive never found anything out about the.

I think I have the skeleton you are talking about.....it was like a pocket-toy thing, came in a black case about the size of a cassette tape, the skeleton came with a pop-on shield, helmet and dagger right? Folded up flat.......The skeleton is here somewhere, the tape-sized holder is long gone.....and I can't remember the name to even do a google search :P

#56 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

I think I have the skeleton you are talking about.....it was like a pocket-toy thing, came in a black case about the size of a cassette tape, the skeleton came with a pop-on shield, helmet and dagger right? Folded up flat.......The skeleton is here somewhere, the tape-sized holder is long gone.....and I can't remember the name to even do a google search :P

that might be it holy shit dude ive been looking for that for a very long time but i never knew the name of it.

starcom toys were cool as hell a friend of mine in elementary school had a few and hed bring them to school. our desks were partially metal so wed stick the men on underneath and on the legs of the desks and all over most fun you could ever have in class.

heres some random bunch of commercials i found on youtube

#57 HeadRusch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1290 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

HeadRusch

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

Posted Image

Oh yeah...that's the guy I have :D

PS: I can see now he totally came with a pike too, that is looong gone.

#58 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Posted Image

Oh yeah...that's the guy I have :D

PS: I can see now he totally came with a pike too, that is looong gone.

dude youre my freakin hero thats it!!!! i thought it glowed in the dark but wasnt sure. as i rememer they had a bunch of different toys but the skeleton was the coolest imo.

#59 HeadRusch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1290 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

HeadRusch

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Enjoy your EBAYing ;)

#60 Dunvane   The Diddler CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

holy shit Starcom!!!!!!

I had honestly forgotten that those toys existed. Watching that video brings back a rush of memories from me being pretty damned young. Those toys were seriously amazing. I'm impressed even seeing them now. I must find some to buy so that my son can play with them too!

EDIT: Wow those are expensive. Wow. The wife's never gonna let me buy those, lol.