Best PC RPG's

henrylin22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (90%)
This is the list of the best RPG's I've played. I don't count hack and slash "rpgs" such as Dungeon Siege I & II and Titan Quest because they are 1) EXTREMELY linear, 2) Not much dialogue, meaning quests are in a text box and you can only click accept or reject and you can't have a conversation, 3) senseless killing, 4) No relations with party members and NPCs, 5) No multiple ways to solve things, you have to do what is laid out, 6) You can't influence what happens, just killing you way to the next boss and getting another quest to do the same. That said, these games are good in their own way(I really enjoyed Titan Quest) but are not what I consider an actual Role-playing game. This is not an in depth review of these games if you see any that interest you google it and find out more info. I also included each game's RETAIL BOXED drm or their patched drm. This will be updated as I play more RPG's and/or finish them. ALL of these games will run on an Windows 7, 8600GT 256mb, 6GB RAM,AMD Athlon X4 2.6GHZ computer on HIGH or MEDIUM with all textures set on max at 35-70 frames-per-second.

• The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition
This is my favorite rpg, open ended, good graphics,and few loading times. The one con I can find with this game is that there is no horse combat, however mods exist that fixes that. There are lot's of MODS on tesnexus.com, and it has a great community so you'll play this for literally hundreds of hours! GET IT!
DRM: Disc check no key-code

Image via Wikipedia

• Dragon Age Origins
This is a great example of a good, deep story, not some kill fest. This game was the best RPG of 2009 with great reason, companions have their own motives and life, and there are many ways to solve quests. There are lots of DLC's and many origins to play so you can play this game many times over. The Origins part is very unique, people will act differently if you chose human noble, then if you choose Dalish elf.
DRM: Disc check, key-code
dragon-age-origins-PC.jpg

• The Witcher Enhanced Edition
The enhanced edition makes this action RPG even better! Good story, concept, and graphics. The combat is also very challenging. The enhanced edition comes with 2 new adventures, better voice acting, and better textures and acting. and Side with Humans, Elves, or be neutral.
DRM:TAGES Disc check(The latest patch takes out the DRM), registration key-code(not required)
the-witcher-20050519014751713-000.jpg

• The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year
An excellent game for those with lower ended PCs. This game is true open world loaded with many quests and characters and locations. This game will literally take hundreds of hours to finish. Just make sure you don't kill quest important characters, as this can make the game impossible to beat. :)
DRM: Disc check no key-code
morrowind_gameplay_ss.jpg

• Neverwinter Nights Diamond
A great campaign and several expansions. This game is basically Baldur's Gate styled in 3D. System requirements are really low so any PC can play this. This game has an excellent module creator that lets you make your own campaigns to share. This game has like a million mods so you'll never be bored.
Neverwinter-Nights-Client_1.jpg

• Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 Boxset
These games defined the RPG genre, but resolution is low and graphics not so good, still worth a look. This is actually 2 games with 2 expansions. If you want to play this on a modern PC i suggest using EasyTutu to improve screen resolution.
DRM: you need to keep disc in to load data to play
baldur-s-gate.jpg

• Mass Effect 2
This game is Mass Effect but with improvements, shooting is a lot better! The developers listened to the gamers and improved the shooting and added ammo. Great story and many challenges! This is a MUST buy!
mass-effect-2-20090617000150116_640w.jpg

• Mass Effect
A great futuristic RPG/shooter. There are many complaints about the shooting combat system (no ammo, can snipe with eyes closed, etc.) However the great plot and in depth characters more than makes up for it.
DRM: 5 install limit, but no need to keep disc in drive
PC_Mass_Effect_HUD_center.jpg

• Fallout 3 Game of the Year
One of the best non-medieval RPG's around, open world, good story and unique combat. I love the ability to switch from real-time to turn-based. The world is huge with many side quests and secrets, it also has Windows Live achievements. Oblivion with guns!
DRM: disc check, Windows Live
fallout-3-facts-that-could-save-your-life-20070701023902318.jpg

• Fallout Trilogy
One of the best classic RPGs. The 3 pack comes with extras such as the widescreen mod, all patches, unofficial patches, restoration etc. Humorous dialogue and many choices await you!
DRM: DRM free
fallout2.gif

• Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold
A better updated Neverwinter Nights! Story not as long thought... and game was rushed and contents (dialogues,quests,etc.) was cut out. You get your own fort which you can upgrade, recruit troops, and complete quests.
DRM: Disc check, key-code securom
34770_Neverwinter_Nights_2__Storm_of_Zehir-PC_DVD-ROMScreenshots20948NWN2SOZScreen013_copy_copy_normal.jpg

• Jade Empire Special Edition
One of the few RPGs with martial arts and setting in China. There are also lots of mini game you can unlock. The combat is in real time and lots of martial arts styles,this is one of the best real time combat games I've ever played.
DRM: securom disc check
8-3305_3.jpg

• Fable: The Lost Chapters
This game is one of the best RPG's I've ever played, but the story is WAY too short even with lost chapters, there aren't as many quests as others, but you do age and scar so its cool, not much dialogue though. Don't skip the end credits if you want to continue playing btw.
4pduxe8.jpg

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
A great fallout styled RPG, you can choose turn based or real-time. This is one of the rare games with magic AND technology, but the 2 don't get along really well. Use guns, swords and wear a tux or medieval armor! This is a truly enjoyable game.
DRM: Get it off GOG.com for $5.99 DRM free with bonus content
arcanum_790screen029.jpg

• Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Awakening is a decent sized expansion pack with about 15 hours of game-play. The characters are not nearly as deep as Dragon Age Origins. The story overall is pretty good, but to much for $39.99 wait for the price to drop before you get it.
DRM: Disc check
dragonage_awakening_dragons.jpg

• Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
A great game, but this game was literally not finished. But a RPG like this is pretty unique with swords,light sabers, blasters, ion grenades etc. The story is also one of the best and has a interesting twist. ;)

kotor.jpg

g179.jpg

• Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Another great game, but once AGAIN, things were cut out. What a shame. The story is not as good as the first and many questions were left unanswered. But what's there is very good. There are many bugs, so save often! There are community patches to restore cut contents. :)
kotor2_wallpaper_01.jpg

• Divinty II Ego Draconis
A great unique RPG experience, where you can play as a dragon. The voice acting is great and has many side quests. mind reading is also a cool feature. read my full review here.
DRM: Key-code
divinity-2-ego-draconis-20090603101016170_640w.jpg

• Two Worlds
Like Oblivion, but just doesn't have a spark the the elder scrolls have. It does have horse combat, which makes up for a lot. Overall it's a little too linear but you can still make choices to influence the outcome. Worth a look. Oh...and there are dinosaurs! And skeleton horsies!
DRM: 3 install limit (If you buy it on GOG.com, it's DRM free and is the epic edition.)
two_worlds.jpg

two-worlds-a_52.jpg

• Vampire The Masquerade Redemption
A great classic Neverwinter Nights like RPG. This game has a unique story and is set in both the medieval and modern world. You were a crusader who lost his love to the vampires and the ironically was turned into a bloodsucker. You then try to regain your humanity and find redemption and your love. AWWWW! It's very interesting to see the people you met in 1200 in 1999. The con is that the camera is nonadjustable. This game surprisingly can be played in widescreen and high resolutions, which is rare for old games.
DRM: DRM-free off GOG.com for $5.99
vampire3.jpg

• Gothic 3 Collector's Edition
If you get Gothic 3, you HAVE to get the patched up collector's edition with forsaken gods(still buggy). This game is extremely nonlinear and enjoyable once patched. Unfortunately Forsaken Gods is as glitchy as ever.
gothic3_nik1.jpg

• Gothic 2
A great game, but world is too small.... Other than that it's really fun and has a great story, one of the most annoying thing about this game is that orcs have to be slashed like 200 times before they die and you get killed if hit twice. Other than that, it's a very enjoyable game. The expansion pack Night of the raven adds another small area to roam.
3ceb57e9339bf4aa822aa4cbbfc79855.jpg

• Mount & Blade Warband
This is a sandbox medieval life simulation. You select a background and then are thrust into a war torn Caladria with nothing but a mount and blade. You then set out to either bring peace to the land, conquer it, or do whatever you want. This game is really unique because there is no magic, and women actually wear sensible armor. The combat is one of the greatest I've seen and roaming around with a war party is really fun. You have the option to get married, hire companions, join feasts and tournaments, etc. Multiplayer is really fun also, it's like Team Fortress with swords and spears. This game is a must have. Activating this game on STEAM also gives you over 70 achievements!

DRM: Keycode that can also be STEAM activated

mount-and-blade-warband.jpg

• Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
VTMB is a pretty unique RPG, players start out as a newly illegally "embraced" vampire who was about to be executed when saved by a crowd member. The player then goes on to work for the Prince of LA and solve quests etc. Most quests have interesting ways to complete and your decisions will have consequences. There are several clans in the game with different powers and philosophy. The game-play is from shooter to hack 'n slash. The XP leveling is also pretty unique, instead of killing everything you see for XP, XP is ONLY given for quests, and the least killing you have to do and choices you make can grant you bonus XP. Humanity is a pretty big part of this game, as a Vampire, you are basically a monster and have to try and keep your humanity. The map is divided into several areas that are only unlocked as you play the main quest so there's not many locations to visit. This is a source engine game so it runs pretty well on most systems.
DRM: Boxed is pretty rare, but D2D version has Securom online activation

vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-20041019083758749_640w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']cool list :D

are any of them free ?[/QUOTE]

unfortunately not, but you can find some of the pretty cheap online.

[quote name='Brownjohn']This list is invalid without Planescape Torment. Nice try, though.[/QUOTE]

this is a list of the games I've played, so I can't add games that I've never played, if I play it I will add it. I plan to update the list as I play more games

[quote name='Brownjohn']This list is invalid without Planescape Torment. Nice try, though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Crotch']
PlanescapeTorment.jpg

The Lady of Pain disapproves.[/QUOTE]

This game was one of those rare purchases I made back in the day that was 100% on target.

Multiple endings...plot twist...unique death or should I say penalty for failure.

Great gaming moments.

I would also add...

[quote name='Megazell']
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

RPG
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Arena was to be the first chapter in an ongoing series of games, so the series took its name from Tamriel's mystical tomes of knowledge that told of its past, present, and future -- The Elder Scrolls.

Daggerfall featured one of the first true 3D worlds on a massive scale, with a game world the size of Great Britain. The game had twice as many features as Arena, a deeper role-playing system, and helped usher in an RPG renaissance in 1996.

Inspired by such games as Ultima Underworld and the unheralded Legends of Valour, Arena was now seen as a massive first-person RPG -- the game that recreated the pen-and-paper RPG experience -- be who you want and do what you want. For a long time Arena was a party-based game, where you lead a group of adventurers. This style of play proved less fun in first person, so Arena became a single character game.

PLEASE NOTE: To run these game on newer systems, you will need to download an emulation program. A link to the DOSBox emulator is provided in the download page.

Megazell's Comment - I am trying to make sure this thread stays on the easy to use side but I had to post this up. Recently, I reconnected with some old gaming buddies and we started talking about the most challenging games we have played recently...Not many came up from the last 7 to 10 years. This was one of the games that did come up for us. This game had all the right components that to this day you can find many fan sites that are very active still modding and talking about it. It requires a bit of setup but I believe it is very much worth it. It's not a pretty game by any means but the story and gameplay are true role play.

System Requirements

CPU: 40 Mhz
Memory: 16 Mb
Video: 2 Mb
Hard Drive: 160 Mb

Download both games and DosBox emulator here - http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

Gameplay Video

Arena
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWIAVL74DyU

Daggerfall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MY0ihuJZc

Click Here!

For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'​
[/QUOTE]

Wizardry 8 too!

[quote name='henrylin22']I actually really want to play daggerfall, but im a idiot and dont know how to use a DOS box. any advice would be helpful[/QUOTE]

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

That should help you.

I don't post them (outside of the ones above) on my 'Free And Legal PC Games' list but I have 1,000s of games that run excellently on DOSBOx. If you run into problems that that wiki does not address - Hit me up.

[quote name='Megazell']http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

That should help you.

I don't post them (outside of the ones above) on my 'Free And Legal PC Games' list but I have 1,000s of games that run excellently on DOSBOx. If you run into problems that that wiki does not address - Hit me up.[/QUOTE]
thanks going 2 try daggerfall, not sure about arena though, after i've played a bit I'll update this thread. also anywhere 2 get planetscape cheap?

A list of the best PC RPGs that has Two Worlds but not Planescape Torment is a massive fail.

This is the list of THE best RPG's out there.

If it's only a list of the games you personally have played then you should probably change the title, because as it stands now it's very misleading.

[quote name='henrylin22']thanks going 2 try daggerfall, not sure about arena though, after i've played a bit I'll update this thread. also anywhere 2 get planetscape cheap?[/QUOTE]

Oddjob, Unique Gift Shop and Staples are the spots I would go if I was looking for it you can find it for $4.99.

Also, keithp - Is correct...There are A LOT of RPG games from the PC that you are missing from this list if you are looking for 'true' RPGs.

One of the last retail RPGs that I played was Wizardry 8 - Which is an excellent RPG. The game is massive with all types of side stories, moral decisions, endings and little nuances that bring you back into the mind frame of what a table top RPG felt like.

The challenge level is steep but for those that make it...the game has a lot of unforgettable gaming moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBEiltcOqP0

After a good night's rest, I am able to look at this thread and HOLY SHIT, nary an Ultima in sight! Get on that Ultima Underworld if you wanna see where your previous Oblivion came from, lad.

And, if we're counting it - and we should - Jagged Alliance 1 and 2.

And KotOR 1. Maybe KotOR 2. And, uh... oh, Diablo 1 and 2. Those were kinda big. As in, "pretty much the reason nobody remembers Planescape Torment" big. A lot of people loved Icewind Dale, but I wasn't so big on it.

did a little editing, I just can't bring myself to play hack n slash like diablo (im sorry i know this is blasphemy to some ppl) and i recently bought Jagged Alliance 2 in a pc game collection so its now on my list of things 2 play.

Hmm. If Knights 1 wasn't finished, then I don't think many games ever can qualify as "finished". Every game has cut content. Period. Knights 2, however, can genuinely qualify as unfinished. Obsidian doesn't exactly have the clout of Bioware, and the publishers forced them to Douglas Adams it out the door.

Also, you have Vampire Redemption but not Vampire Bloodlines? It's a buggy-yet-lovable son-of-a-bitch from the makers of Arcanum (who split from Black Isle, makers of Fallout and Planescape Torment).

Also also, the typo in thread title is making my inner pedant burn with rage.

[quote name='The Crotch']Hmm. If Knights 1 wasn't finished, then I don't think many games ever can qualify as "finished". Every game has cut content. Period. Knights 2, however, can genuinely qualify as unfinished. Obsidian doesn't exactly have the clout of Bioware, and the publishers forced them to Douglas Adams it out the door.

Also, you have Vampire Redemption but not Vampire Bloodlines? It's a buggy-yet-lovable son-of-a-bitch from the makers of Arcanum (who split from Black Isle, makers of Fallout and Planescape Torment).

Also also, the typo in thread title is making my inner pedant burn with rage.[/QUOTE]

i've encountered quests that for some reason just STOP in KOTOR1 which was pretty annoying. i've added bloodlines, I never got past Chinatown but still it was pretty fun. typos have been fixed. :bouncy: Anyone info on the boxed drm would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back