Need help CAGS NES is flashing

200STM

CAGiversary!
I did some youtube video research and I came up with some ideas (steel wool to scrub the grime off the connector pins) and I thought before I try it I would ask the CAG Comunity

Try inserting the game in different angles into the NES. Sometimes if it's at a slight angle, it will work.

Then, try blowing in the cartridge next. Reinsert in a variety of ways again. If that doesn't work, blow inside the Nintendo.

[quote name='jbroush99']http://screwattack.com/videos/2-Bit-Gaming-008-NES-Repair-Flashing-Red-Light[/QUOTE]

Meh, I found using a cleaning solution much more effective than this as an alternative to getting a new 72-pin connector. I don't believe a lack of contact is the issue with these older contacts. I think it's a problem with dirt. I got an original connector working noticeably better by simply using some Radio Shack cleaner/degreaser. It has a brush on the end of it, so you simply get it wet and jam it in there.

There's no substitute for getting a new 72-pin connector, though. Only do anything else if you're in a pinch, and make sure you have a new connector on its way.

And while you're at it, disable the 10NES lockout chip. It isn't completely necessary after you replace the connector (my personal NES still has the lockout chip intact, mostly because I haven't needed to open it since 2002), but I've done several NES repairs and disabled the chip, and the system becomes 100% rock solid after that and a new connector.

And make sure you clean every game you buy before you put it in your clean console. You don't want to have to clean the console anytime soon.

I tried cleaning it using windex and scrubing and cleaning it, I also lined up the pins so they can get a better connection; this worked for like 5 mins and it flashed again and again I used a gameboy cleaning kit with some alcohol n water cleaned it out and dry clean both pins slow n steady still didn't work now its not turning on. I am kinda pissed but oh well that means no NES gaming (I grew up on SNES & NES64).

[quote name='200STM']I tried cleaning it using windex and scrubing and cleaning it[/quote]

You're doing it wrong. Don't use things like that.

I am kinda pissed but oh well that means no NES gaming (I grew up on SNES & NES64).

You'll be un-pissed when you get yourself a new 72-pin connector. They rule. Don't say you're not going to get one, either. You've made it this far.

I will be on the lookout for a new connector, I will also think bout a 3rd party console that plays NES Games (Retrocon3 which plays NES,SNES and Genesis Games sounds cool) but for now I'm dirt poor and will have to wait thanks for the tips n tricks and wisdom old school CAGS

I guess it doesn't matter that I did the "bend the pins" trick a few years ago and my NES has worked great since then. Getting a new 72 pin connector seems to be the only solution :roll:.

Edit: meh

[quote name='200STM']I will be on the lookout for a new connector, I will also think bout a 3rd party console that plays NES Games (Retrocon3 which plays NES,SNES and Genesis Games sounds cool) but for now I'm dirt poor and will have to wait thanks for the tips n tricks and wisdom old school CAGS[/QUOTE]

72-pin connectors are cheaper than one of those crappy clone consoles. If you're that dirt poor, you'll get more mileage out of a 72-pin connector than a Famiclone. They usually have sound issues and other compatibility problems.

Maybe your NES would come back to life if you dressed it in doll clothes and took pictures of it? That might even be blog-worthy!

[quote name='jbroush99']Maybe your NES would come back to life if you dressed it in doll clothes and took pictures of it? That might even be blog-worthy![/QUOTE]

1936_10_08_09_9_48_25.jpg

[quote name='Chuplayer']72-pin connectors are cheaper than one of those crappy clone consoles. If you're that dirt poor, you'll get more mileage out of a 72-pin connector than a Famiclone. They usually have sound issues and other compatibility problems.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. A new connector is like $10 or so. You can't go wrong with that.

thanks CAGs my NES has died on me it wont turn on anymore its bit the dust thanks for the help I would be getting a new 72 pinn ready in case I get another NES

Keep trying. See if it will turn on without any connector in it at all. One of the things I don't like about the pin bending trick is that you might bend something too much and end up shorting something out.

holly shick El1te your right my FASHIONATION Ipod alarm clock AC adapter made the NES come back to life haha well CAGS I got it running still flashing though where can I get a 72 pin connector set and how much and if they accept cash/check (no credit card here)

[quote name='200STM']holly shick El1te your right my FASHIONATION Ipod alarm clock AC adapter made the NES come back to life haha well CAGS I got it running still flashing though where can I get a 72 pin connector set and how much and if they accept cash/check (no credit card here)[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you can buy one except online, but I bought one for $18 on eBay that came with cartridge cleaning stuff and it works amazing. Although the AC adapter from your Ipod dock may work with your NES long term use could damage it if it is the wrong voltage, I would recommend getting one at Radio Shack (or somewhere similar) that has the same specs as the original one. I just finished fixing my NES, so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone post a link to the 72-pin connectors? I may buy one as well, but don't want to buy junk.

Does anyone know where to get the 72 pin connectors bulk? I do alot of NES repairs and have bought several lots of 10 on ebay for around $6 each but I feel there must be a cheaper source out there. Every one I've received has had a label ripped off the bag making me think that label would have some useful information. As readily available as they are I figure there must be something else out there that uses the same part.

bread's done
Back