Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
13ydwti.png

Well done Rod.

Also, just started Radiata Stories. Really really liking the graphics, art style, and characters so far, but HATE the battle system. It's simple, boring, button mashy, and I better as hell start fighting enemies that aren't common farm animals pretty damned soon! I'm also concerned with the whole "time" aspect. I hate feeling rushed (one of the reasons I detested Majora's Mask at first, but once I got used to it, it was fine). Think I should stick with it?

spoon·y   /ˈspuni/
–adjective, spoon·i·er, spoon·i·est. Informal .
1. foolishly or sentimentally amorous.
2. foolish; silly.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I'm also concerned with the whole "time" aspect.[/QUOTE]
This is the worst thing about the game, IMO. Neat in some ways, but very badly handled in a certain other one. You should be concerned.

It's fairly short and easy for a JRPG, so if you have the time and you like enough of it, sure, stick with it. It might grow on you.

It has some of the best graphics of any PS2 RPG in my opinion. I wanted to keep playing just to keep watching it. It literally takes about 15-20 hours to play through so don't worry about missing things. You have to play at least twice to see both sides anyway.

It's light on story and the gameplay is somewhat shallow, but overall I thought it was an awesome game.

Right on, thanks guys. I'm gonna stick with it, mainly due to the graphics, lol. Push comes to shove ill stop and watch some YouTube vids to finish it

I forgot to mention the costumes and weapons, I was addicted to getting new gear and seeing it in action.
There is a bonus dungeon with some crazy gear that I haven't tried yet. I think the Valkyrie from Valkyrie Profile also joins you there.

Started up a game of Crimson Gem Saga last night. Pretty generic so far. Maybe because it's the beginning but leveling is super quick. I went from Level 1 to 10 in a few minutes.

My own key to enjoying ES was constantly changing the characters around, not focusing on any in particular except around bosses. The battle system is the best thing about the game. I played about half the game using both Japanese and American VO, and I prefer the Japanese, where I usually don't in most other games that give that option.

[quote name='Krymner']My own key to enjoying ES was constantly changing the characters around, not focusing on any in particular except around bosses. The battle system is the best thing about the game. I played about half the game using both Japanese and American VO, and I prefer the Japanese, where I usually don't in most other games that give that option.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The combat is the best aspect of the game because it keeps changing and progressively gets difficult with it's fast-paced action.

I've also comprised a set rotation for leveling characters up, but switching them to my main boss group of Jazz, Frederic, and March/Salsa. Mostly Salsa cause she's awesome.

Changing the VO to Japanese would probably make sense but not necessarily for the quality of the VO it's self. But rather switching it to a language you don't know would make the translation and actual dialogue seem less contrived.

[quote name='Krymner']I mean, its still Dragon Quest, but I still think I would prefer playing it on a TV.[/QUOTE]
Not me. Great time killer when I'm at the laundromat.

Passed the 100 hour mark not too long ago. I really should wrap up the story soon, but all the sidequesty stuff keeps distracting me...

[quote name='blueshinra']Not me. Great time killer when I'm at the laundromat.

Passed the 100 hour mark not too long ago. I really should wrap up the story soon, but all the sidequesty stuff keeps distracting me...[/QUOTE]
Did you go to any of the NYC map events?

[quote name='Rodimus']That first one against Odin was a preview of the how much the battle system will suck against bosses.[/QUOTE]

Insofar as it illustrates that playing conservatively will get you killed.

Geez, college really cuts down on all of my console playing. For now I've gone back to play some Pokemon SoulSilver on the DS and Fallout 3 on the PC.

[quote name='momouchi']Geez, college really cuts down on all of my console playing. For now I've gone back to play some Pokemon SoulSilver on the DS and Fallout 3 on the PC.[/QUOTE]

You think college cuts back on your video game time, try having a baby.

I've finally beaten Eternal Sonata and what the fuck? That is probably one of the weirdest (and lamest) endings out there. I, however, did not choose to save because I didn't go to the Mysterious Unison. So, my goal now is to go the Unison and get Claves soul and use her in the final boss. However, the enemies hit like a tank in the Unison.

I'm nearly at the end of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, the final 2 bosses sound real goddamn intimidating. I may grind for awhile before I even attempt them. Get my guys up to like 70 or so. Right now they range anywhere from 47-57.

So much for getting back into Oblivion. I got everything working right and then...played about an hour.

[quote name='momouchi']Geez, college really cuts down on all of my console playing. For now I've gone back to play some Pokemon SoulSilver on the DS and Fallout 3 on the PC.[/QUOTE]

Wow, it sounds like u actually attend class or something ;) Skip classes to play video games, go out at night. Ahhh, I miss being an undergrad.

Wait till you have a job, I mostly get to game for a couple of hours at night if I'm not too tired, on my commute to work, and on the weekends.

[quote name='GhostShark']I've finally beaten Eternal Sonata and what the fuck? That is probably one of the weirdest (and lamest) endings out there. I, however, did not choose to save because I didn't go to the Mysterious Unison. So, my goal now is to go the Unison and get Claves soul and use her in the final boss. However, the enemies hit like a tank in the Unison.[/QUOTE]

Ya, like I think a few people said before the plot is fairly awful haha. Also in regards to the Mysterious Unison I think I dodged some fights, though I do remember grinding up on some of them further down since I think you have to get a ton of money for part of it (and some enemies down there give you a lot each fight). And, I remember there is one level which is basically a maze where every room looks almost the same and I actually got so lost in there (couldn't find my way back out or to the next level) that I had to turn the console off and just try again.

[quote name='Erad30']I'm nearly at the end of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, the final 2 bosses sound real goddamn intimidating. I may grind for awhile before I even attempt them. Get my guys up to like 70 or so. Right now they range anywhere from 47-57.[/QUOTE]

I was about level 60 with Edge Maverick, Serah, Arumat and Myuria. The final boss fight took me about 40 minutes to complete. It's a pretty damn intense fight. I wish you the best of luck!

[quote name='Backlash']Wait, I thought Eternal Sonata was a DS RPG. What game am I thinking of that's based around music?[/QUOTE]
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure?

Oh, yeah probably so. Does anyone know if that's any good? I was thinking my wife might enjoy it as kind of a light RPG. She's not really up for old-school JRPGs like DQ9, though she did beat Chrono Trigger.

I loved Rhapsody. Never played the PS1 version, which I hear has a more tactics-style battle system, but I found the DS port absolutely charming all the way to the end. The story's enjoyable fluff, the characters are likeable, and the music is fantastic. It's easy too, so it definitely qualifies as a "light RPG". Rhapsody's only major negative point is that it's fairly short (about 15-20 hours).

Isn't Rhapsody Nippon Ichi's first game to come to the states?

When this game first came out for PS1 a friend was super excited about it. I never heard of it so I kept asking him, "Why are you interested in a game called Rap City?"

[quote name='icebeast']on my commute to work[/QUOTE]
Please tell me you take public transportation! (pictures icebeast stuck in rush hour traffic with DS in hand, lol)

[quote name='blueshinra'] a more tactics-style battle system[/QUOTE]
The PS1 battle system was terrible. The battle map was small, like 5x5 or 6x6, so there was no real strategy involved. All it did was make the battles needlessly long.

[quote name='Rodimus']Isn't Rhapsody Nippon Ichi's first game to come to the states?
[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Please tell me you take public transportation! (pictures icebeast stuck in rush hour traffic with DS in hand, lol)[/QUOTE]

Haha, that would be great, but unfortunately I take the subway to work. I do have a car, but I left it with my parents when I moved to NYC since I didn't really see a need to drive anywhere (or pay for a car) when public transit basically lets me get anywhere I want. Right now I've been playing Ys Seven and just started Valkyria Chronicles 2 on my way to work.

The laundromat is also prime hand held gaming time, I tend to take my DS for that and have been playing some Dragon Quest IX, but I also like to play puzzle games while I wait.

Geez, college really cuts down on all of my console playing. For now I've gone back to play some Pokemon SoulSilver on the DS and Fallout 3 on the PC.

The first two years, I was busy adjusting to school and taking calculus. The last two years, however, I had tons of free time.

Are the mass effect dlcs ( firepower,aegis, overlord, Kasumi ) worth picking up? They are all cheap enough just not sure how much the two missions here really add to gameplay. I have read a lot of people like Kasumi, what makes her so good?

Kasumi, Firewalker and Overlord are the only ones that are really worth buying. The other packs are just weapons and armor (good ones, though). And this Tuesday comes the Lair of the Shadowbroker. So, there is that to look forward to as well.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'll probably pick up Rhapsody for my wife soon since our baby is coming in about 2.5 weeks and the DS is great for when she's nursing.

Hope she enjoys it, Backlash (and best wishes for your new arrival, too!) :)

Just beat Dragon Quest IX. Only took 125 hours and 27 minutes!

I'd like to play Etrian Odyssey II soon, and also have to pick up where I left off in Pokemon Platinum, but want to take a break from RPGs (and my DS) for at least a few days. Not even thinking about the DQIX postgame stuff right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LostRoad']Are the mass effect dlcs ( firepower,aegis, overlord, Kasumi ) worth picking up? They are all cheap enough just not sure how much the two missions here really add to gameplay. I have read a lot of people like Kasumi, what makes her so good?[/QUOTE]

I pretty sure I got Firewalker for free, so you can't really complain. But if you had to pay then it's skip-able. Just a bunch of boring Hammerhead missions with no real combat. Kasumi's mission is sort but you get Kasumi who is a great Infiltrator. Overlord is awesome but still only a few hours at the most. It gets pretty dark near the end. I think it would've been properly priced at 400 instead 560.

I'm going to assume the "Lair of the Shadow Broker" will be a fairly lengthy mission since it's 800 points. At least it better be.

[quote name='2DMention']The first two years, I was busy adjusting to school and taking calculus. The last two years, however, I had tons of free time.[/QUOTE]

Being an engineering major eats up a lot more time, and with Calc I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Although I'm sure a kid takes up a lot for time than classes, Rodimus.

[quote name='LostRoad']Are the mass effect dlcs ( firepower,aegis, overlord, Kasumi ) worth picking up? They are all cheap enough just not sure how much the two missions here really add to gameplay. I have read a lot of people like Kasumi, what makes her so good?[/QUOTE]

People seem to like putting her loyalty ability (Flashbang) on Shepherd, since when fully upgraded on him/her its stun duration can be as long as/longer than its cooldown.

Plus, she looks like a Sith Lord.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't they just going to release a Platinum version of Mass Effect 2 like they did with the first one? I've been holding off on buying DLC for the sole reason that waiting nets all the DLC in a one neat package.

Sounds like 4 warriors of light will be a POS game. I'm gonna wait for the reviews first. I don't know what else to spend my $15 TRU giftcard on though.

Do you guys think TRU will get Fist of the North Star or Rock Band 3 Keyboard bundle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back