New 360 wireless controller with improved D-Pad announced (11/9, $64.99)

RBH

CAGiversary!
"We’ve just made the Xbox 360 Wireless controller even better with a brand new version that includes a transforming D-pad. The engineers have come up with an ingenious solution with a d-pad that can go from a plus to a disc with the twist of the wrist.

In addition to the new d-pad, the matte silver controller also features concave analog sticks and gray A,B,X,Y buttons for added style.

The controller will only be available with the new Play & Charge Kit that will launch on November 9th for US $64.99."

From this:
L2sev.jpg

To this instantly:
H3eKm.jpg

Pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/sets/72157624724532059/

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6aTTKE6hE

Source: http://majornelson.com/archive/2010...ontroller-featuring-a-transforming-d-pad.aspx

Looks interesting. I like the styling except I actually kind of prefer the colored ABXY buttons. And can't really get too excited about the price :). I guess it remains to be seen if the D-pad functionality has actually improved though, or if this twisty thing is just a gimmick.

I wonder if they will be releasing a Xbox360S "classy edition" to match the controller? A 360Slim that is not shiny and/or black would really entice me to upgrade.

edit: "this controller will only be available with the play + charge kit" that may explain some of the increased price- does this also mean that it it won't come with a standard holder that takes AA's? I like my eneloops and don't really want to use the junky cells MS puts in their P&C kits- but if it doesn't come with the AA holder then the battery cover won't match.

Would be nice if they sold the controller by itself. In any case, I don't play anything that needs the d-pad for anything more than switching weapons and stuff like that, so I don't have much incentive to buy one anyway unless one of current controllers breaks.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']65 dollars?!?[/QUOTE]

Because it's bundled with a new quick charge kit and not sold separately (which is stupid).

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']65 dollars?!?[/QUOTE]

That's the MSRP for the Play and Charge Kits. I ended up paying $36.99 for my red one. (Amazon)

[quote name='Ruahrc']
edit: "this controller will only be available with the play + charge kit" that may explain some of the increased price- does this also mean that it it won't come with a standard holder that takes AA's? I like my eneloops and don't really want to use the junky cells MS puts in their P&C kits- but if it doesn't come with the AA holder then the battery cover won't match.[/QUOTE]

Mine came with the standard battery holder and a rechargeable battery. IMO, the rechargeable battery sucks so I just stick to AA's.

The rechargeable batteries do suck, but I keep using them. I get 6 or so hours out of them still (have had them a couple years) and have 2 so I can switch between them. Figure I might as well use them instead of recharageable AAs since I have them. But I definitely wouldn't replace them when the battery life gets even worse.

I don't really care if it switches between a plus design or a floating disc. In either case, I want to make sure it actually functions correctly, registering inputs right. If it does, it may be worth picking up.

No color on the buttons is just stupid. Also, the D-Pad still isn't in a fixed position, so the new design doesn't solve the problem. Lastly, the color doesn't match any current XBOX 360 console. Where's the black and white versions? My OCD will not allow mixed colors!

Take a hint Micro$oft:

NES_controller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's absolutely bizarre, given that they ruined the look of the 360 MadCatz arcade sticks by making the colored buttons mandatory.

looks schwanky, and if you pick it up, don't like it, just return it. That's another reason why BB is good. (of course the return line is YMMV) Plus you can always just wait for an accessories sales. $64.99 is still the MSRP on some play and charge kits at crappy B&M shops and some TRU.

[quote name='screwkick']No color on the buttons is just stupid. Also, the D-Pad still isn't in a fixed position, so the new design doesn't solve the problem.

Take a hint Micro$oft:

NES_controller.jpg
[/QUOTE]

the modders did

NESD-pad001.jpg

Meh u know whats gonna happen. These wont sell as hot as they hope, then release them by themselves later down the line, and by then people that really want it will have bought it used somewhere.

i'll be confused when on screen it tells me to hit a coloured button, and they are all greys. I am still used to SNES setup so it will be a problem.

As someone who dislikes fighting games, I don't see the need for an improved d-pad personally. Every game Ive played that uses it, I've never had problems with. Works just fine for the games I play.

But damn that's an ugly controller.

I like the look of it and I do want vastly improved d-pad, but like everybody else is saying, if all this does is change the feel of the disc, and not actually change it's feel (as a d-pad), then it's a waste. I'll wait for reviews (and for it to be available without the play and charge kit, which I really don't want to pay for.)

The monochrome color of the buttons might grow on me, but I agree it does look bizarre. I bought a SF Fight Pad to help with fighting games, so unless this thing is amazing, I don't see myself buying it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The rechargeable batteries do suck, but I keep using them. I get 6 or so hours out of them still (have had them a couple years) and have 2 so I can switch between them. Figure I might as well use them instead of recharageable AAs since I have them. But I definitely wouldn't replace them when the battery life gets even worse.[/QUOTE]

I must be the odd one out as I've read many complaints. I have three batteries a couple years old each and all of them get me a solid 14+ hours each.

[quote name='The 7th Number']why didnt they add the grey buttons on the halo reach controller. Would have looked better.[/QUOTE]

Why didn't they include the "improved" chrome D-pad as well? fucking joke, that's why. I love the monochrome look, including the buttons.

I find it humorous that MS is charging $65 for this crap. Yes, it's bundled with the Play and Charge kit. But you can buy the Play and Charge kit right now for $15 at BB. I guess they want to clear out all that extra inventory since few people actually bought the P&C kit.

First the XBL price hike and now this. Let's see if MS can go for the trifecta. At this point, it would be asinine to expect anything other than utter failure from them.

Point was made earlier, that some games give the color to press and with no color on the controller, it is going to be a little harder, and the D-Pad needs fixed control, pushing up, only does up, ect, none of this, if you hit the corner of up, you trigger up/left or up/right, this produces inaccurate movement, and honestly only effects Live and Retro games, but comes on, why is it so hard to make one that works, is a good d-pad trademarked and xbox can't make a good one now? :p

Looks cool, but I don't give a shit about play & charge kits. Never have. Have they talked about any plans to release this as a regular battery controller?

I dont think you will have too much trouble selling the play & charge kits to people who got the halo reach elite

[quote name='screwkick']No color on the buttons is just stupid. Also, the D-Pad still isn't in a fixed position, so the new design doesn't solve the problem. Lastly, the color doesn't match any current XBOX 360 console. Where's the black and white versions? My OCD will not allow mixed colors!

Take a hint Micro$oft:

NES_controller.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It is my understanding that Nintendo has a patent on that design and that's why it can't be used. I think that is why the Playstation version has the "gaps" near the center of the D-Pad.

How long do patents last? If that design was patented on the original NES, surely itmust have run out by now (20 years or more)?

Ruahrc

So MS can drop their color scheme for their buttons when they want while MadCatz has to ruin their sexy new chun li stick with the awful RBGY color layout on the 360 TE.

I like the look of the controller...horrible price.

[quote name='icedrake523']There have been D-pads similar to Nintendo's.[/QUOTE]

Similar, but can you give examples where it is just like that one and they didn't pay Nintendo for the right?

[quote name='ZForce915']Similar, but can you give examples where it is just like that one and they didn't pay Nintendo for the right?[/QUOTE]

No because I have no way of finding out if they paid Nintendo.

I'm not convinced of the greatness of Nintendo's d-pads. I hate the dpad on the gamecube controller. It's painful to use and I'm not sure the control is all that great. the d-pad on the DS Lite is lousy too - it's hard to go at an angle at all. The Wii controller's d-pad seems better, maybe? The gamepad on the 360 is just pretty damn terrible from a control standpoint, though you're certainly comfortable while moving in the wrong direction. ;^) Hopefully this one is better, but I'm starting to agree with everybody that the greyscale buttons are a stupid idea. And certainly only having it bundles with the P&C kit is. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to this controller, but like everyone else I don't want a Play and Charge kit. Maybe I'll get one and sell the P & C, I dunno.

Should have just used the Sega Saturn pad or the Neo Geo Pocket Color stick. Both are the best ways to play fighting games on a pad.

I'll get one if 1) the review are good and 2) it goes on sale like the red limited edition controller did.

[quote name='eastx']I'm looking forward to this controller, but like everyone else I don't want a Play and Charge kit. Maybe I'll get one and sell the P & C, I dunno.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, someone will have a decent deal for these. Amazon probably will eventually.

[quote name='ParadoxSeven']Point was made earlier, that some games give the color to press and with no color on the controller, it is going to be a little harder[/QUOTE]

Really? You look at your controller when you play games? A-B-X-Y have had the same colors since 2001 on the original Xbox, surely people know them without looking at them by now.

[quote name='Corvin']Really? You look at your controller when you play games? A-B-X-Y have had the same colors since 2001 on the original Xbox, surely people know them without looking at them by now.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, this controller is geared to the uber-hardcore fighting game players (who should all have fightsticks at this point...), and those people know the colors/positions by heart, just like 95% of other 360 players at this point I'm sure.

All this is, is another way for M$ to get more money. This could have been put with the 360s controllers and/or the new Halo Reach controller. I really see no point to this and will not be picking it up.

Use fightsticks. Microsoft has been making some bizarre decisions lately. Live already has me irritated (even though I haven't been using my xbox much lately). Now I want to slap someone.

bread's done
Back