Earthbound for the SNES!!!!!!

dossantosc

CAGiversary!
ok so if any of you clicked this thread, you know all about it...basically i would like some help in tracking Earthbound down here in montreal!

i would def pay a very fair price however i dont want to go the Ebay route as the prices are crazy inflated plus everyone knows the sellers take advantage with shipping costs!

where in montreal can i friggin get this game?? i've called Gamezone and checked out a ton of pawnshops already and no one seems to have it! any other Retro/oldschool vidgame stores in montreal that would have it?

i also checked craigslist and one guy i emailed says he has it and wouldnt mind selling it but he "lent to his ex gf!"....??? he also doesnt return my emails or anything so i figured the guy is bsing me!

Does anyone have any ideas? or also if anyone here has it and would like to get rid of it, i would definately take it off your hands...

Cheers!!!

Define none inflated prices? Most retro stores will know the rarity of games like Secret of Mana and Earthbound and WILL charge +$100 for it.

Check out "Game Over". Last time I went to my local one (in St-Hubert), they had a huge amount of NES and SNES games, but they were very expensive. I'm pretty sure they have other stores in the Montreal area.

Sorry dude, eBay prices aren't inflated at all; you'll be paying over $100 for Earthbound no matter where you get it (unless the seller has NO idea what it's worth.) In fact, you'll probably be paying even more at game stores because their owners know very well that someone will pay $150 for Earthbound eventually. Such is the market for retro rarities.

And again, anyone who has Earthbound these days is likely very aware of its value and won't let it go for any less than $100. You're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one, sir.

Yeah, paying less than $80 (that's for one in bad condition) will be pretty hard. Your best bet is thrift stores, yard sales, pawn shops, and flea markets.

This thread belongs in 'Deal Request'.

You're going to have to shell out to find a mint copy with box ($200-$400). I mean, the player guide itself goes for another $80. For just the cart, you're looking at $60 minimum, and $80 more realistically.

Pawn Shops, Value Villages, etc is your best bet to find true deals, but you could wait a life time and never find a copy of Earthbound at one of these places.

thanks so far for the help! i know what the game goes for! i never said i was expecting to pay 30$ or $40 for it!

eBay "buy it now" prices are inflated since it eliminates the whole bidding process!

as for gaming stores...Gamezone sells copies (when they have! LOL!) for $117 and GameBuzz sells them for $99!!

i'm also not worried about the case and guide!

i might check out game over! thanks again for your help...also let me know if anyone has that might be selling!

I have faith it will come out for VC on Wii eventually. I suppose you might not have a Wii, Assuming it did come out on VC, it would still be more economical to buy a Wii and the VC game than pay for a mint copy of the original SNES cart. I would just check pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc. in the meantime for deals.

Good things come to those who wait.

[quote name='pure skill']I have faith it will come out for VC on Wii eventually. I suppose you might not have a Wii, Assuming it did come out on VC, it would still be more economical to buy a Wii and the VC game than pay for a mint copy of the original SNES cart. I would just check pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc. in the meantime for deals.

Good things come to those who wait.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude! I actually do have a Wii...however being somewhat of a "cheap ass" collector, i would prefer to have it in its original form and play it on the SNES...call me a purist! LOL!!

I have played it on "other" systems....aka Emu's! LOL...but just doesn't feel the same!

as everyone already said, Ebay is the cheapest you will find it. All other stores in Montreal will charge more than what youd pay there.

You may find it cheap at a random garage sale, but dont count on it :)

[quote name='pure skill']I have faith it will come out for VC on Wii eventually. I suppose you might not have a Wii, Assuming it did come out on VC, it would still be more economical to buy a Wii and the VC game than pay for a mint copy of the original SNES cart. I would just check pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc. in the meantime for deals.

Good luck with that. The licensing will never happen for it. It seriously would have happened by now if it was going to.

I sold my complete copy earlier this year for $125 and I know I could have got more if I held out. If you want a copy of the game, $100 is the cheapest your probably gonna find it now.

[quote name='djbooba']Good luck with that. The licensing will never happen for it. It seriously would have happened by now if it was going to.

I sold my complete copy earlier this year for $125 and I know I could have got more if I held out. If you want a copy of the game, $100 is the cheapest your probably gonna find it now.[/QUOTE]

A complete copy for $125???!!! I would have easily paid a lot more than that!

Besides, i know what the stores in montreal will sell it at!

Haha, only 99$ at Gamebuzz? I was expecting more like... 200-300$ at least. The prices they charge for certain games (Dark Alliance 99$ last time I was there!) is ridiculous. You're better off just e-baying it and fork out the cash. Hunting for it in the wild will be a full time job. Start sellin those games you don't play :)

[quote name='Pugsley']Haha, only 99$ at Gamebuzz? I was expecting more like... 200-300$ at least. The prices they charge for certain games (Dark Alliance 99$ last time I was there!) is ridiculous. You're better off just e-baying it and fork out the cash. Hunting for it in the wild will be a full time job. Start sellin those games you don't play :)[/QUOTE]

LOL....i know! Gamebuzz is notorious for crazy prices! Thats why i was surprised that they offer Earthbound @ $99!

I sometimes just don't get it...they charge $149.99 for FFVII (which seems a little steep but decent for a hardcore collector) and then they go and charge $99 for RE2... and only $99 for Earthbound!!?? They have weird pricing schemes!

But they will negotiate a bit if you go there often...

I would never expect to pay less than 100 bucks for Earthbound, unless dealing with a person that doesn't care much about games.

My friend once found a jackpot in a yard sale, he got an NES, SNES and Lynx along with some rare games like Earthbound,Mario all stars and some more.
The seller didnt know how much it was worth and sold it for 100$ total.

It won't, they can't get the license for the original music because they didn't have permission to use it in the game when it released and they don't want to change it to be able to release it.

[quote name='phanta']My friend once found a jackpot in a yard sale, he got an NES, SNES and Lynx along with some rare games like Earthbound,Mario all stars and some more.
The seller didnt know how much it was worth and sold it for 100$ total.[/QUOTE]
Nice, I dream of things like that. No such luck though. It's like winning the lottery.

[quote name='jeffx']OP: Ever heard of "question marks"? Please look into them.[/QUOTE]
Here, I think you dropped your badge.

GrammarPolice.gif

Clark, it appears English is not your first language. It's OK, allow me to explain the situation.

"Earthbound for the SNES!!!!!!": HAY GUYS I FOUND A STASH OF SEALED EARTHBOUND GAMMEZ 4 DRT CHEAP HERE IZ TEH ADRESS.

"Earthbound for the SNES??????": HAY GUYS WHERE CAN I HAS EARHTBOUND FOR CHEAP, EBAY IZ TOO XPANSIVE. OH WRONG FORUM SRRY!!!! LOLLOLLOLLLLLLL

[quote name='jeffx']Clark, it appears English is not your first language. It's OK, allow me to explain the situation.

"Earthbound for the SNES!!!!!!": HAY GUYS I FOUND A STASH OF SEALED EARTHBOUND GAMMEZ 4 DRT CHEAP HERE IZ TEH ADRESS.

"Earthbound for the SNES??????": HAY GUYS WHERE CAN I HAS EARHTBOUND FOR CHEAP, EBAY IZ TOO XPANSIVE. OH WRONG FORUM SRRY!!!! LOLLOLLOLLLLLLL[/QUOTE]

captain-obvious.jpg

I found my copy of it at a garage sale a few years back for $4 (along with Chrono Trigger for the same price.) Cart only, but it came with the strategy guide. Since it's not complete, I haven't really thought of selling it, was just happy to find a copy to play at that price.

Congratulations Clark, you can post images. You must be a software engineer of great renown!

Good luck with the TOEFL, by the way.

Will someone move this already. Say what you want about rfd at least they keep there forums clean and there posts in the proper area. Is it so hard for someone who works here to delete a 100 pages of useless threads.

We have petitioned for a mod for a long time but I don't believe CAG cares.

RFD forums are clean? Get real. 99% of posts are from trolls and mahjongmaniac.

If anything it's hard to find the good deals due to hundreds of reposts and utter garbage "deals".

found it at a garage sale for 10 bucks. talked her down to$4

sold it at pawn shop 20 min later for $55 :cool:

[quote name='evanders']found it at a garage sale for 10 bucks. talked her down to$4

sold it at pawn shop 20 min later for $55 :cool:[/QUOTE]

Great profit, but you nonetheless made a very bad deal for yourself at the pawn shop. =\

[quote name='jeffx']

[/QUOTE]

lol, cuz its true... We officially have 3 mjm haterz on here.

[quote name='jeffx']We have petitioned for a mod for a long time but I don't believe CAG cares.

If anything it's hard to find the good deals due to hundreds of reposts and utter garbage "deals".[/QUOTE]

RFD?
RFD (magazine), a magazine for rural gay men
wat.

[quote name='mission42']It won't, they can't get the license for the original music because they didn't have permission to use it in the game when it released and they don't want to change it to be able to release it.[/QUOTE]

They wrote the music. They don't need to get licenses for their own work. And they didn't use any complete songs that they would need to get permission for in the game. If you're talking about those supposed issues with the game's music referencing/sampling other songs, then those are rumours, and they don't make sense anyway. The game doesn't use straight samples, it uses short synthesized/chiptune snippets in homage/parody of certain pop songs. This is fair use. Even if it weren't fair use, the game has been out for well over a decade, and there are apparently no complaints about it in Japan, where copyright infringement laws still exist. Any excuse for the game not coming out that involves the music is nothing more than smoke and mirrors by either Nintendo of America or fans who want an excuse so they can imagine they have closure.

Also, braggan', I got a cart-only copy (in good shape) for only $35 at a Play & Trade last summer. Keep hitting those yard sales and/or keep your eyes peeled and hope you get lucky. Or if you can't be patient, do like the others have said and bite the bullet.

Well guys, i sort of bit the bullet today as i sent $80 through paypal to for the game!

i think its a good deal considering the game is in mint condition, the saves work, and the guys is including the original box...

i really couldnt care less for the box but im told its all worth a lot more the more the game comes intact and complete!

would have prefered the Guide! let me know if anyone has it...LOL!

cheers!

Were all free to discuss some more or the mods could just close this thread...

double cheers!

[quote name='Jogurt the Yogurt']They wrote the music. They don't need to get licenses for their own work. And they didn't use any complete songs that they would need to get permission for in the game. If you're talking about those supposed issues with the game's music referencing/sampling other songs, then those are rumours, and they don't make sense anyway. The game doesn't use straight samples, it uses short synthesized/chiptune snippets in homage/parody of certain pop songs. This is fair use. Even if it weren't fair use, the game has been out for well over a decade, and there are apparently no complaints about it in Japan, where copyright infringement laws still exist. Any excuse for the game not coming out that involves the music is nothing more than smoke and mirrors by either Nintendo of America or fans who want an excuse so they can imagine they have closure.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, you live and you learn. I just checked another site and it just lists it as a potential problem along with other ones they already had. Maybe Nintendo is just being proactive in this case.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/

Not to be a troll but I don't get what the big deal is about this game.
I admit I've never played it but their are cough *other* cough ways to play the game for a MUCH better price.
Nintendo's own fault if they don't release it and lose out on $$$ to be made. If they wanted it bad enough, they would hammer out a deal, but the truth is they don't care.

back in 99 at sears in lincoln park michigan, I got 2 copies at 5 dollars a piece and didn't really wanna sell it, but put it up on ebay, for penny no reserve and it sold for 240, person was a douche and said they didn't wanna pay, but did.

I never got why the game is loved so much. Not that I want to be too pessimistic, but there are much better playing RPGs out there, even from Nintendo themselves.

bread's done
Back