Dragon Age II - Gen. Discussion and Info - Mark of the Assassin DLC 10/11 800 pts.

Ryuukishi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)

Rise to power... by any means necessary.

[quote name='BioWare Press Release']Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke’s rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever.[/quote]

Basic Information

The main character in Dragon Age II is Hawke, a human refugee from Lothering who makes his way to Kirkwall, a city-state in the Free Marches, north of Ferelden. Hawke may be male or female and can be a warrior, rogue, or mage. Unlike the Warden in Dragon Age: Origins, Hawke will be voiced. The story will span ten years, starting with the destruction of Lothering which occurs midway through Origins' story. Dragon Age II is a framed narrative; Hawke's exploits are being told after the fact and the narrator may be unreliable at times. Dialogue will be driven by a wheel with icons indicating the tone of each possible response. Combat is being retooled to feel faster and more immediate.

Note on spoilers: I will try to avoid explicit story spoilers in the OP, but in general, I don't consider anything revealed by BioWare's PR to be a spoiler.​

Preorder/Bonuses
  • Amazon.com preorder, $59.95
  • Preorder bonus items: Fadeshear Sword and Lion of Orlais Shield (Existing Signature Edition preorders will also get these items, if the retailer offers them)
  • Preorder bonus item, EA Store only: The Irons
  • Preorder bonus item, Best Buy only: Amulet of Ashes
  • Additional bonus content with all new copies, "The Black Emporium"
    [quote name='BioWare Website']
    A magic item store that has some of the best equipment you'll find in the game. It's restocked with better items as you progress through the story.
    A loyal mabari hound that fights at your side in battle.
    The "Mirror of Transformation". Gaze into it and you can change your very appearance. Hair, eyes, tattoos, and more can be changed with the click of a button.
    A crafting store which sells powerful unique recipes.
    Explore the Black Emporium and uncover its strange secrets and lore. Be sure to see its strange proprietor. It should prove most... memorable.
    [/quote]
  • [NO LONGER AVAILABLE] Preorders at participating retailers before January 11, 2011 will be upgraded to the BioWare Signature Edition with codes for downloadable bonus content. According to BioWare, there will not be any additional Collector's Edition release.
    [quote name='BioWare Website']The Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition includes the full version of Dragon Age II plus an additional $20 worth of bonus content that includes:
    A downloadable bonus playable character and missions
    Downloadable game soundtrack
    Downloadable in-game items including the digital armory that will feature a special weapon for each of your character classes[/quote]
    The bonus character and mission are Sebastian and The Exiled Prince DLC.
  • Sign up for the newsletter at the official site to receive a code for the Staff of Parlathan weapon
  • Register here to receive the in-game item Hindsight designed by Tycho and Gabe of Penny Arcade
  • Ser Isaac of Clarke's Armor code included in new copies of Dead Space 2
  • Dragon Age Legends Facebook game currently in beta will unlock DA2 content, but the specifics are not yet known
  • Completion of the demo unlocks Hayder's Razor, "an ancient dwarven blade which increases health, mana, and combat abilities" in the full game
  • Ring of Whispers free with $15 purchase from Epic Weapons, or with a purchase of a Razer Dragon Age product

DLC
  • The Exiled Prince, available on release, 560 MS Points/$7 or free with BioWare Signature Edition
  • Xbox Avatar gear
  • Item Pack #1, item sets for warriors, rogues, and mages (Hawke and party members)
  • Legacy, available 7/26/2011, 800 MS Points/$10 (achievements)
    Targeted by a vicious criminal cartel that are hunting "the blood of the Hawke," you must put an end to their relentless attacks. Leave Kirkwall, and journey to an ancient Grey Warden prison in order to find the source of the aggression and uncover the harsh truth about the Hawke lineage. Playable from any point in the DAII campaign, face all new darkspawn, forge a powerful new weapon and come face to face with an ancient horror.
  • Item Pack #2
  • Mark of the Assassin, available 10/11/2011, 800 MS Points/$10
    Hawke meets a mysterious female Elvin assassin named Tallis, voiced by the talented Felicia Day, and joins her to steal an ancient relic from an Orlesian Baron in his well-guarded estate. A cross between Varric and Isabela, Tallis is a rogue who introduces a new fighting style to add more variety in combat. Get up close and personal with her deadly skills or stand back and pick off enemies with her ranged combat abilities.

Mark of the Assassin features new items, new enemies and monsters and new environments as well as giving players the opportunity to experience a new, tactical way to play with the return of Stealth gameplay. Plus, along with the new environments and monsters, you will learn more about the Orlesians and Qunari.

Unlock two bonus items, the High Lord's Belt and the Pendant of the Morning Frost, if you have unlocked at least one achievement in each of the three DLC packs The Exiled Prince, Legacy, and Mark of the Assassin.

Previews and Impressions

Companions
  • Carver Hawke, Human Warrior, Hawke's brother (present if Hawke is a Mage)
    1664723-304px_carver_large.jpg
  • Bethany Hawke, Human Mage, Hawks' sister (present if Hawke is a Warrior or Rogue)
    234155-Iconic01.jpg
  • Varric, Dwarf Rogue, a noble in a merchant family
    7C1AF0BC9C1BBA99351427F90A6F9F45_x600.jpg
  • Isabela, Human Rogue, pirate/duelist returning from Dragon Age: Origins, love interest
    21B9EF2E1213E6849F912766CE30176B_x600.jpg
  • Aveline Vallen, Human Warrior, a fellow Lothering refugee
    Dragon-Age-2-Character-Aveline-Concept.jpg
  • Fenris, Elf Warrior, an amnesiac subjected to experiments that infused lyrium into his body, love interest
    med_screenshot-09-fenris-p.jpg
  • Merrill, Elf Mage, returning from the Dalish Elf Origin in Dragon Age: Origins, love interest
    ScreenHunter_76Jan101634.jpg
  • Anders, Human Mage, returning from Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, love interest
    fdfz34.jpg
  • Sebastian Vael, Human Rogue, a noble seeking revenge against his family's killers, love interest for female Hawke (The Exiled Prince DLC)
    sebtalk.jpg

Media
The Exiled Prince DLC trailer
IGN preview 2/8/2011
"Classes" trailer
Mark of the Assassin DLC trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
Little bit pissed at not being able to pick what your race is, but I'm still stoked at this game.

Hope they have more variety on the equipment design.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I'm glad someone manned up and made a thread for this.

I expect big things out of this game :cool:[/QUOTE]
Yes. I'm really excited about the new direction they're taking, and I think DA2 has the potential to be a huge step forward for the franchise.

Here's some previews from the site that hosts my podcast, newbreview.com (a UK based gaming site.) They are from Gamescom as EA paid for one of the staff writers to cover EA stuff at the convention.

http://newbreview.com/2010/08/26/preview-dragon-age-2/
http://newbreview.com/2010/08/21/speaking-with-mike-laidlaw-lead-artist-on-dragon-age-2/

And an oldie but a goodie since hardly any US media covered this, here's a story and YouTube clips I found of Warden's Quest, the competition EA held in London with groups of gamers from countries around the world right before the launch of Dragon Age Origins. If you read the interview I linked above with Mike Laidlaw, EA has not yet ruled out another similar thing for this winter.

http://newbreview.com/2009/11/02/the-event-dragon-age-origins-the-warden’s-quest/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABNs3GM_QqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGJwjXQy0A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngFWuGvUIU0&feature=channel

It looks great to me. I just hope there are some pretty different looking characters.

Off Topic: I'm thinking of getting Awakening but I don't have a harddrive my DAO data is on my Xbox 360 System Data (I got a Jasper Chip Arcade Bundle)
Is it possible to play it like that or do I need a harddrive?

DA2 Looks stunning I've watched the trailer 4 times now.

[quote name='Reno Takamiya']It looks great to me. I just hope there are some pretty different looking characters.

Off Topic: I'm thinking of getting Awakening but I don't have a harddrive my DAO data is on my Xbox 360 System Data (I got a Jasper Chip Arcade Bundle)
Is it possible to play it like that or do I need a harddrive?

DA2 Looks stunning I've watched the trailer 4 times now.[/QUOTE]

Awakening was released as a disc as well. MSRP on it is $30 but it may drop next month when the Ulitmate Edition comes out.

I was just wondering since were playing as Hawke in number 2
Do we have to use the default look or can we customize like we did in the first one?

[quote name='Reno Takamiya']I was just wondering since were playing as Hawke in number 2
Do we have to use the default look or can we customize like we did in the first one?[/QUOTE]
There will be customization.

[quote name='Reno Takamiya']I was just wondering since were playing as Hawke in number 2
Do we have to use the default look or can we customize like we did in the first one?[/QUOTE]

Looks that way.

Although, you won’t be creating your own custom Grey Warden as you did in Origins, Dragon Age II still lets you customize everything else so that your Hawke is as unique as you want him or her to be. The opening warrior, rogue, and mage classes return along with the ability to tweak your gender and appearance as you see fit.

Can't wait for this game.
Lov 1 and is my second favorite RPG next to Fable.

Will be pciking it up in march. My second game besides Pokemon.
I hope they release the Ulimate collection soon.
I wanna play with all the DLC. Bought it all on my PS3 and then it broke.

[quote name='Reno Takamiya']Thanks for all the great info. But why doesn't Dragon Age 2 have the same races from Origins?[/QUOTE]

It has all the same races, you just have to play as a human. Bioware did that so they could have voice acting for the main character unlike in Origins.

Presumably they'll also be able to integrate your character's history and traits into the main story more. As cool as the multiple origins were in the first game, they didn't play into the main quest at all apart from a couple of unique dialogues. This time they won't need to worry as much about generalizing everything.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It has all the same races, you just have to play as a human. Bioware did that so they could have voice acting for the main character unlike in Origins.[/QUOTE]

Why do we have to play as a human? Do you mean it has all the same races as in NPC characters or what?

[quote name='Reno Takamiya']Why do we have to play as a human? Do you mean it has all the same races as in NPC characters or what?[/QUOTE]
Think Mass Effect where you could choose Commander Shepard's first name, gender, and face, but other parts of the character, like race, were predetermined. That is the route BioWare is going with DA2.

Elves, Qunari, and Darkspawn are getting visual overhauls from their appearance in the first game.

There's not enough room to have 4 possible main character races and 2 genders each to put 8 voice actors. You can only fit 2 for the main character so you have to lock down a race. Same reason why Shepard in ME is always a human.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']One of the first game play vids released (Warning: Slightly Shaky Cam)

So long as the Dynasty Warrior-esque "plow through an army in five seconds" game play and moronic AI stay in Varric's exaggerated flashback sequences (a.k.a. the demo) I'll probably end up picking this up. Otherwise... I'm still on the fence here.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link! The character animation looks stellar, though the level graphics seemed even plainer than in Origins. I think they're going for a more minimal look for the backgrounds so I guess we'll see how this plays out over the whole game. I thought the combat looked like a blast. And yes, I think the gameplay depicted was the beginning of the sequence, with Varric greatly exaggerating Hawke's strength. I'm sure the typical combat is a little more deliberate.

Also, as a diehard Final Fantasy fan, I have to say I'm loving the sword that's as tall as Hawke. I hope that's not confined to the "exaggerated reality" sequences.

Not sure how I feel about touched up humanoid look of the Darkspawn just yet. I hope as the years fly by we're introduced to more grotesque forms and hulking baby eating hordes. Speaking of the sword I'm still LOLing at a select few complaining about the size of it. I mean... really? If it were Cloud Strife huge then maybe just maybe I could sympathize.

Also... where is our mage footage? ;'(

Is there anywhere else I can see the gameplay footage? Game Trailers link doesn't seem to be working.

[quote name='glemtvapen']Wow. The animation looks fluid. Is the demo from the PC?[/QUOTE]
It's running on Xbox 360. You can see the colored face buttons on the right side of the HUD.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's running on Xbox 360. You can see the colored face buttons on the right side of the HUD.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't they just be using a gamepad?

I agree, though. People have been shitting all over it on NeoGAF. Doesn't seem that bad to me.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Think Mass Effect where you could choose Commander Shepard's first name, gender, and face, but other parts of the character, like race, were predetermined. That is the route BioWare is going with DA2.

Elves, Qunari, and Darkspawn are getting visual overhauls from their appearance in the first game.[/QUOTE]

That's what's so upsetting about this. Instead of thinking Dragon Age, I'm thinking Mass Effect.

Honestly, is reading the main character's dialogue choices such a chore that you'd give up customization and choice to have audible dialogue?

There's been a lot of backlash, but I don't see why. I think the game still looks really good. I'll admit I'm disappointed that they took out the choice of race, but I'll deal with it. Definitely looking forward to it still.

Newsletter subscribers should be on the look out for their in-game weapon redeemable codes promised to us since Comic Con. I received mine a day or so ago for the Staff of Parthalan:

Magic has always run strongly within the Hawke bloodline. The tales passed down from one generation to the next tell of an ancestor named Parthalan, a mage who long ago helped to unite Ferelden under the rule of King Calenhad. Parthalan eventually vanished into legend, fleeing the persecution of the Chantry, but his legacy remains in the hands of his family - along with his hope that one day, mages would achieve the freedom that King Calenhad intended to bring to all men.
Developers have confirmed it is the same weapon Hawke wields in the trailer. Sexy but I'd honestly prefer some stats to go along with it. The prospect of the commanding two reasonably attractive apostate mages is looking better every day.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Honestly, is reading the main character's dialogue choices such a chore that you'd give up customization and choice to have audible dialogue?[/QUOTE]

I personally would not but to each his or her own. The only reason I'm currently giving Bioware the benefit of the doubt is because the devs confirmed ages ago the current demo is not an accurate depiction of actual game play. With that said I'm going to continue reserving any serious judgment until one surfaces. Now should the game appear as an unapologetic [insert game here] rendition of Dragon Age I'll more than likely direct my interest elsewhere.

One of the devs confirmed Steve Valentine has done some work for DA2 so I'd take that as a concrete sign Alistair will make an appearance at some point. Origins DLC characters have been confirmed to appear as well which is equally awesome. We'll also receive at least two choices for each class type as possible party members. The news I'm most excited about though is they have finally decided to not only redesign darker skin tones for this game BUT your family will accurately reflect yours Ala Fallout 3.

Hell I might have to pick this up just for that news alone. I could never stand how nearly every character I've ever created in Bioware games always appeared distinctly Caucasian with a horrible tan in game. Drove. Me. Nuts.

Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition announced, contains a download code for "$20 of bonus content." Everyone who preorders at a participating merchant before January 11, 2011 will receive the Signature Edition.

It sounds like you can preorder right now at Amazon or wherever and you will be automatically upgraded, but it might not hurt to wait until Amazon actually updates their listing.

Except that buying the game new isn't enough this time, you also need to preorder it two months in advance.

What's not clear yet is if there will be a collector's edition that includes the Signature code plus more stuff and/or special packaging, or if this is the collector's edition.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Except that buying the game new isn't enough this time, you also need to preorder it two months in advance.

What's not clear yet is if there will be a collector's edition that includes the Signature code plus more stuff and/or special packaging, or if this is the collector's edition.[/QUOTE]I'm sure they'll do another CE, though I can't believe that you have to order it two months in advance to get the pack-in with the additional content.

I was going to wait it out and check on reviews before picking it up, though getting $20 of bonus content might be worth the preorder.

Actually, a BioWare employee just posted this on their forum:

[quote name='Chris Priestly']THIS IS THE COLLECTOR's EDITION

After January 11, 2011 people will still be able to buy Dragon Age 2, but it will be a standard copy without all the cool free stuff included in the Signature Edition.[/quote]

So it looks like this is it-- no steelbook or anything this time, just digital preorder bonuses. Kind of a shame, I just have the plain vanilla version of Origins and I was looking forward to having a big fancy deluxe package to display on my shelf this time.

Promo code "DA2" for free overnight shipping on a preorder of Dragon Age II Signature Edition at GameStop.com. Good through 10/18.

Interesting if this is indeed THE collectors ed. All signs, along with that post above, point to it being it. I'm a sucker for CE's and it feels like EA is leaving money on the table.

However, I can't think of anything other than a steelbook case I can't think of anything else that would wow me in a CE. The soundtrack is already there.

With that....kudos to Bioware and EA. free stuff = makes CAG's happy!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Promo code "DA2" for free overnight shipping on a preorder of Dragon Age II Signature Edition at GameStop.com. Good through 10/18.[/QUOTE]

I would jump on that if it wasn't for CA's sales tax. Now planning on pre-ordering this in Amazon. Does Amazon charge tax in CA?

I hope Amazon will get the Signature Edition also.

Some photos from the Dragon Age II demo currently making the European convention rounds:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/punctuated_equilibrium/sets/72157625030075342/with/5022420429/

From what I can tell, the DA2 shots are, from the upper left, 1, 2, 3, 4, 15, 16, 17, and 18.

My random thoughts:

1. Hawke's brother Carver-- what a douche!
3. Very sleek, modern looking orange and white on black-- is this the game's real interface, or just a mockup for this demo?
4. Post-combat blood soak seems more realistic and less ridiculous looking. Less spatter, more smear.
15. Bethany makes me think of a mix between Natalie Portman and Hilary Swank.
18. Starting to think the character on the left monitor is not really Hawke's mom... aside from the white hair the face just looks way too young. Is there something else going on here?

In general, aside from some oddities like Cassandra's bug eyes in 17 and Carver's ugly mug, the facial modeling and animation seems about 1000 times better than in the first game.

I played the short Demo of DA: 2 at SDCC earlier this year and it was fantastic. All the changes I saw were definitely for the better. My wife and I are both big fans of DA: O and are eagerly awaiting DA: 2.

My question is, what's the chance of Amazon.com putting up some sort of $10 or $20 Gaming Credit with a pre-order before the Signature Edition deal expires in january? That's what I'm waiting for on the pre-order.

I'm a PC gamer first and foremost and I saw all the whining and crying following that PC Gamer article and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. It's like if developers streamline their game just a LITTLE, they rise up into an unstoppable rage and nothing will make them happy unless you complicate the game with clunky design like the PC RPGs of old. I like complicated RPGs, but sometimes I don't want to deal with all of that.

That said, DA2 looks absolutely incredible. I played about 35 hours of Origins and then got distracted by work and other games and when I DID have time to play it, there was so much content out for it (Awakening and DLC) that I just decided to wait for the ultimate edition.

Hindsight, an in-game item designed by Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade. There is a motion comic explaining the belt's origin and you can register to receive it in-game!

Also, only a couple more days to sign up for the DA2 newsletter and receive a code for the Staff of Parlathan.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']One of the devs confirmed Steve Valentine has done some work for DA2 so I'd take that as a concrete sign Alistair will make an appearance at some point.[/QUOTE]
To build on this, the devs are saying that Isabela will have a new voice actress in DA2, at least in part because her original VA also did Anora, and they want to keep the voices of major characters distinct. Combine that with the news about Alastair's VA and it seems like a lock that whoever you placed on Ferelden's throne in Origins is going to factor in to DA2.

bread's done
Back