Extra Life Charity Gaming Marathon - RAFFLE WINNERS ANNOUNCED - CHECK LIST

DrMunkee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)

Original thread moved to spoiler to keep the length down. Information and team info under spoiler. Prizes are still at the end of the thread. - [customspoiler=Click Here! ]

October 16th is TODAY!!!! The marathon starts 8AM local time!

There is still time to donate and earn raffle entries/ claim your prize! Scroll down to the big blue "Prizes" text for info!

rocky-balboa-1.jpg

EST - GO TO BED!

The rest of you, you're almost there! Good luck! Use multiplayer if you get tired.

Thank you everyone! We did a great job and I had a fantastic time!

We'll get the prizes out ASAP! See you all in the evening!

GAME DAY - Streams, Chat Room, Info, ect.
-------> [customspoiler=Click Here!]

CHAT ROOM
-
HERE

It has been moved from it's original place. As it turns out, CAG already has a pretty decent chat room. And there is nothing wrong with supporting a fellow CAG's website. Thanks dv8mad!

NOTE - You should register (for the website) if you want your name.

- If anything is wrong in the original post, shoot me a message! I didn't get some links to donation pages, so shoot me a PM if your name doesn't link to anything!

- Curious about what is going down on October 16th? Maybe you want to know so you can decide to participate next year? Or maybe you just want to stalk your favorite CAG? It's OK, we've got you covered. (Restraining orders optional).

Beatofficer ---- BLOG

liberaltugboat ---- STREAM

mp
1434 ---- STREAM

doctorfaustus ---- STREAM

sanger ---- STREAM

Shoagie ---- STREAM

PepsiDriver ---- STREAM ----- TWITTER

bluedotlounge ---- examiner.com blog w/ more raffle prize pictures!

dwhelan
---- STREAM ---- TWITTER

morph3us ---- STREAM

- By the way, today is your favorite Hallmark holiday...Sweetest Day!

If you are participating in the marathon and have a significant other, please be sure to call them and tell them how awesome they are.

DrMunkee's note to EVERYONE!!!!

(Cue epic music)

Tomorrow, the majority of us are going to embark on a journey. No. Not to discover the Lost City of Atlantis, or to fight off those pesky invading Spartans. Our journey is of a different nature.

For 24 hours, you WILL play video games guilty free. You have dedicated your time, raising money for a cause that will help countless children. Now it is time for you to game with thousands others who are feeling the same satisfaction you should be feeling.

But it won't be easy. Your thumbs will be sore and your ass will be numb. If you go to the doctor because you develop carpel tunnel, you can proudly state that it was for a good cause, and not because of other "extra curricular" activities like last time.
For every level gained, for every headshot shot, for every fake guitar solo perfected, know this; this happened because you stepped up for a good cause.

I haven't forgotten about the donors. While I don't have a small speech that would sit proudly in a C-level horror movie prepared for you, I still know how important you are. You are the batteries to our controllers, and not those crappy "play and charge" batteries that Microsoft sells us and they die completely after 6 months of use. No. You are like a Kindle battery, still working on the same charge after 1 month of nonstop use.

Everybody-
If you learn anything from this, walk away with this thought. Your efforts have helped save lives and make those who are suffering more comfortable. YOU! Not your brother, or your mother, or your kitten. YOU!

You are fucking awesome.

[/customspoiler]

10/14/2010 PRIZE PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN? BAM! -

[customspoiler=Prizes!] [/customspoiler]

There are a TON more prizes to give away.

SCROLL DOWN FOR PRIZE INFORMATION - WIN T-SHIRTS, FULL GAMES, AND OTHER SWAG, JUST FOR DONATING!

NOW LIVE - TEAM CAG's OFFICIAL LINK!

As you may or may not have known, Sarcastic Gamer hosts a 24 hour gaming marathon every October that benefits various children's hospitals. Last year Cheapassgamer raised over $5,000 dollars in just under a week. This year, let's try to surpass that by at least $1,000!

10/15 EDIT -You know what? Screw that. Thanks to some very generous people, we blew that out of the water. Think we can reach 10k?

I will be running this thread and hopefully recruiting enough CAG's to reach our goal (This thread is CheapyD approved).

---------------> Main Extra Life Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually do fundraising for Jerry's Kids but I wasn't able to this year, so I will gladly sign up later this week.

[quote name='Ed_']I usually do fundraising for Jerry's Kids but I wasn't able to this year, so I will gladly sign up later this week.[/QUOTE]

Great!

[quote name='MIGGO']I'll sponsor you doctorfaustus! I wrote it your blog, but I'll write it here to make sure that you notice it.[/QUOTE]

Winner, winner, winner, chicken dinner. Awesome, thank you! This is the hat I'll be sending you once I get confirmation that you've become a sponsor.
Link

Just make sure that you sign-up and donate.

Good luck guys!

if you are interested during the 24 hours of gaming, the GameEnthus team will gladly go some rounds of Halo and such. Link is in the signature below.

[quote name='dwhelan']Good luck guys!

if you are interested during the 24 hours of gaming, the GameEnthus team will gladly go some rounds of Halo and such. Link is in the signature below.[/QUOTE]

You gave me an idea.

I hope your don't mind me adding you to a new list I made in the original post. I used your profile info. If you want it removed just ask.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Only 24 days left. Let's get some more gamers and sponsors![/QUOTE]

Yeah sorry I haven't been as aggressive as I should be (I've had quite a few medical tests in the past 2 weeks). I'll throw up a blog post for those who don't visit this forum.

Who knows. I might even ask for a front page spot once we get nearer.

I'm really wanting to do this. I've always wanted to participate in a marathon.

You know what, I'm going to sign up. :) In the name of CAG and BevNerd!

PepsiDriver - [ XBLA - PepsiDriver ] [ Wii - 8628 8804 2953 1117 ]

[quote name='DrMunkee']You gave me an idea.

I hope your don't mind me adding you to a new list I made in the original post. I used your profile info. If you want it removed just ask.[/QUOTE]

No problem, just make sure you guys bring your 'A' game.

Hopefully the donations should have also primed the pump :)

[quote name='PepsiDriver']I'm really wanting to do this. I've always wanted to participate in a marathon.

You know what, I'm going to sign up. :) In the name of CAG and BevNerd![/QUOTE]

Welcome!! Let's do this thing!

[quote name='dwhelan']No problem, just make sure you guys bring your 'A' game.

Hopefully the donations should have also primed the pump :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the donation! That's really generous! I also see that you've almost met your goal! Awesome.

Hm, that's a pretty cool idea! I'll definitely consider it, but do you need a webcam or anything to show that you're playing?

[quote name='celegus']Hm, that's a pretty cool idea! I'll definitely consider it, but do you need a webcam or anything to show that you're playing?[/QUOTE]

Nope. It's completely based on an honor system.

And truthfully put, if you don't do the 24 hours straight, no one is going to hound you on not finishing. The rules technically state that you can break up the marathon if you have to, and odds are, if you visit this site, 24 hours of gaming comes naturally.

------- One more thing. I'm not 100% sure on the CAG name of the person who donated to my account, but judging by the name, it was you dwhelan. A BIG thank you to you.:bouncy:

I'm halfway to my $200 goal. Woo! Does anyone have plans for what to play, yet? I'm thinking I'll probably rent and play through Mafia II, but other than that, I'm unsure. I might use this as an excuse to buy Red Steel II and a MotionPlus, and play that.

Are there friend codes for Nintendo DS or Pokemon Heartgold/SoulSilver? Either way, I have that and I will be building up my Pokemens for the battles.

[quote name='Rocko']I'm halfway to my $200 goal. Woo! Does anyone have plans for what to play, yet? I'm thinking I'll probably rent and play through Mafia II, but other than that, I'm unsure. I might use this as an excuse to buy Red Steel II and a MotionPlus, and play that.[/QUOTE]

Awesome!

There are quite a few games that are coming out between now and then. I might do some Halo Reach multiplayer, and Dead Rising 2, Enslaved, The Shoot, and Castlevania will all be released by then. The week before is also the week the the new Medal of Honor comes out. Who knows what I'll be playing.

[quote name='PepsiDriver']Are there friend codes for Nintendo DS or Pokemon Heartgold/SoulSilver? Either way, I have that and I will be building up my Pokemens for the battles.[/QUOTE]

I would, but sadly, I sold it after my nostalgia rush was over.

What if people just give you dollars here and there as donations? What would be the best thing to do with them?

I have a local game store that I was thinking about setting up a donation box in or even spending part of my 24 hours in-store playing games from open to close (taking donations of course).

[quote name='PepsiDriver']What if people just give you dollars here and there as donations? What would be the best thing to do with them?

I have a local game store that I was thinking about setting up a donation box in or even spending part of my 24 hours in-store playing games from open to close (taking donations of course).[/QUOTE]

I think that would be OK . I know last year they had a system where you could actually send checks or cash in. I can't seem to locate an area where it tells you what to do if that is the case, though.

Or you could put the money in your bank account and transfer it from there. Just mark it as "Store Charity" or something.

I know that there is no minimum amount a single person has to donate. Last year I was a pretty broke college student, so I would throw $5 in every so often whenever I had a little extra.

EDIT : If you go to your donation page, on the left side under the "Donate Now" button, there is a form that you can send in with checks. I don't know if it works with cash.

@DrMunkee, thanks!

Looks like I will be setting up at Replays Gameware in Gadsden, Alabama, a local used game store. This will be where I play a good chunk of the marathon. Taking donations from passers-by and a huge game library to play from! Gotta make some flyers to put up there and a couple local colleges to try to raise money, awareness of the event and maybe get some more gamers involved!

Kicking this thing into high-gear! I have some prizes for those who sponsor me!

Donate $25 and receive as a gift:
Dragon Quest IX Blue Slime String Bag
or
Magic: The Gathering Planeswalker 30-Card Deck
Or
Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic DVD

Donate $30 and receive as a gift:
Marvel Super Hero Squad TCG starter deck
Marvel Super Hero Squad cap

Donate $40 and receive as a gift:
Brink T-Shirt (Black)(XL)

Donate $50 and receive as a gift:
Pax 2010 Duke Nukem T-Shirt (Red)(xxl) I really wanted to keep this one! My fiancee and I were in line for over 2 hours just to get a chance to play the demo.

If you're interested in these gifts, please leave a comment here. Once the donation is made, I'll set aside your gift!

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Kicking this thing into high-gear! I have some prizes for those who sponsor me!

Donate $25 and receive as a gift:
Dragon Quest IX Blue Slime String Bag
or
Magic: The Gathering Planeswalker 30-Card Deck
Or
Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic DVD

Donate $30 and receive as a gift:
Marvel Super Hero Squad TCG starter deck
Marvel Super Hero Squad cap

Donate $40 and receive as a gift:
Brink T-Shirt (Black)(XL)

Donate $50 and receive as a gift:
Pax 2010 Duke Nukem T-Shirt (Red)(xxl) I really wanted to keep this one! My fiancee and I were in line for over 2 hours just to get a chance to play the demo.

If you're interested in these gifts, please leave a comment here. Once the donation is made, I'll set aside your gift![/QUOTE]

Nice! Dr. Munkee and I have been talking about other shwag give aways. Everyone stay tuned!

@doctorfaustus: Cheeky bastard!

I'm going to come up with some sort of incentive program myself...it may involve some Mountain Dew Halo Cap codes or whatever extra soda swag I got laying around. I've got a lot these days and I'd like to give some stuff away.

[quote name='PepsiDriver']@doctorfaustus: Cheeky bastard!

I'm going to come up with some sort of incentive program myself...it may involve some Mountain Dew Halo Cap codes or whatever extra soda swag I got laying around. I've got a lot these days and I'd like to give some stuff away.[/QUOTE]

Sweet.

This stuff that I just put up is mostly from my PAX 2010 loot. I'm trying to find some more stuff to give out, but I have to keep size and weight in mind since I am going to ship these out myself.

Here's my giveaway list so far, though I'm still trying to decide on the format in which to dole them out. Most of these will be sent from the game companies themselves to save on shipping. Any publisher that's not "TBA" are confirmed items.

1) EA - Madden 11 2GB USB stick, Dead Space 2 t-shirt (medium), and 3 Bulletstorm t-shirts
2) Activision - Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock 2GB USB stick (guitar shaped) and a limited ed. DJ Hero 2 t-shirt (large; 1 out of 100)
3) Nintendo - Professor Layton and the Unwound Future t-shirt (large) and a retail copy of Kirby's Epic Yarn
4) Sony - Killzone 3 t-shirt (medium), a Kevin Butler nametag t-shirt (large), and a God of War hoodie (large)
5) NIS America - Trinity Universe artbook and Sakura Wars artbook
6) Konami - Lucha Libra mask
7) XSEED Games - Ys Seven retail copy
8) Square Enix - TBA
9) Disney Interactive - Disney Interactive 2GB USB stick
10) Microsoft - TBA
11) Sega - Sonic Adventure XBLA code and a retail copy of Vanquish
12) LucasArts - TBA
13) Capcom - Monster Hunter Tri shwag collection
14) Natsume - 3-animal Harvest Moon plushie collection and a collection of 6 horsies
15) NamcoBandai - Enslaved t-shirt (large) and notebook
16) Atlus - PSN DLC game code TBA
17) D3 Publisher - PSN/XBLA DLC game code TBA
18) 2K - Mafia II promo t-shirt
19) Funimation - Anime DVD TBA
20) Warner Brothers Interactive - TBA
21) Aksys Games - 10 Gladiator Begins PSP full game codes
22) Ubisoft - PSN/XBLA DLC game code TBA
23) VIZ Media - Anime DVD TBA
24) Ignition Entertainment - TBA
25) THQ - They're on board, but still haven't decided what to give away.

Has anyone contacted any local Gamestop or gaming places to help sponsor us? I was thinking of calling my local game stop and Play and Trade. What are your thoughts? t

[quote name='frostybroc']Has anyone contacted any local Gamestop or gaming places to help sponsor us? I was thinking of calling my local game stop and Play and Trade. What are your thoughts? t[/QUOTE]

I typically have trouble getting big chain stores to donate or sponsor anything. I'm sure there are limits to what the managers are allowed to do.

Your best bet would be a local/smaller store. You can try somewhere like Gamestop, but don't feel disappointed if they turn you down.

Just joined Team CAG. I'm Ultimate Matt X on XBL and TheUMX on PSN. I'm going to Korea until the 10th, but I'll do the best I can to get donations between now and then.

Just hit quite a few people up for donations so hopefully something pans out. As far as the games I'll be playing I figure quite a bit of Halo Reach will be a part of it. I'll probably move to the PS3 for awhile though and do some SSFIV and Uncharted. I have a lot of games though so if anyone wants to donate and play something just let me know.

Here is my donation page:

https://www.hospitalshelpingkids.org/ExtraLife/m.aspx?i=20439DE3B4FB68DB2

I attended Ubisoft's DLC-centric press event yesterday, so I told all the PR reps about Extra Life and gave me a pile of Outland t-shirts. If you haven't read up on this game, please do so. It's an Ikaruga platformer.

Alright, it's friday and that means it's also payday for a lot of people! Let's get some donations!

Donate 30 dollars today and get the gift of your choice! Check the OP for a list of my gifts!

Thanks everybody! Everyone who has signed up should be on the list.

Rules for all prizes coming very soon! Then we'll kick advertising up a notch for the last week +.

Wow I didn't realize so many of my friends were cheap uncaring fuck's. I've had school teachers and law enforcement both decline to donate even a flat $5. Makes me rethink some people.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Wow I didn't realize so many of my friends were cheap uncaring fuck's. I've had school teachers and law enforcement both decline to donate even a flat $5. Makes me rethink some people.[/QUOTE]

It's probably the way we are doing it.

A lot of people still see gaming pretty negatively, even if it is for a good cause.

Unhealthily starving yourself for charity, then binging on an amount of food at the end of the fasting period that would make a sumo wrestler blush? That's OK. Enjoying a game and raising money for charity? No!

How dare you think that money raised through gaming is just as good as money raised through other means!

bread's done
Back