Helpful Tip : Maximizing Trade-in values at Gamestation

TheToiletDuck

CAGiversary!
Heya,

Just thought i'd put a PSA out regarding trade-ins at Gamestation, which i think is a pretty under-utilized scheme.

It's not common knowledge that Gamestation will match CEX prices on trade-ins (based on CEX's store credit price not the cash price). CEX's trade in price is normally quite a bit higher than the likes of HMV, GAME and Gamestation etc..

Gamestations policy is that they match the CEX trade in price providing it's higher than the price they give (if CEX is lower they just give you the GS value).

As an added bonus, if the CEX trade in value is more than Gamestations, they will take the CEX price and add a pound.

e.g. Little Big Planet : CEX value is 4quid, GS value is 5quid - you get 5squid

Street Fighter IV (not super) : CEX value is 10quid, GS value is 5quid - you get 11quid!
which is great considering i bought it off them for 6.

This is a great way to get extra credit, especially on those games that are worth diddly squat like LBP. I increased the trade in value of ten games from 48quid to 79quid.

Conditions:

Obviously it's for store credit only.

The manager needs to authorize the transaction, so if he/she is not around you're shit out of luck

You need 'dated' proof of the CEX deals. The best way to do this is go to http://uk.webuy.com/sell/ add stuff to your selling cart then print the cart. It's important the printout has the date. CEX has blocked Gamestation from being able to browse their website, or even call the store so it's important you provide the proof.

I traded them in to the Princes St store in Edinburgh, but i believe it's a Gamestation policy, not store specific, but it wouldn't surprise me if it only applies to stores within the vicinity of a CEX.

Nice tips here.
I hear Tesco/Asda are killin' the stores on pre-owned prices now....I've not used them though as I tend to cry when I paid £30 for a game and 1 year later its worth £4 haha, so I rarely trade in...

Just to confirm, they will only price match CEX if there is one local.

Thanks for the tip on printing the cart, I've always printed the page for individual pages.

Nice tip!

I love doing trade-ins as every few months when I'ma bit skint I count up the finished titles or the unplayed ones and grab something new!

[quote name='Phelmo']I thought they would match the trade in value of any shop?[/QUOTE]

They do, but often CEX's store credit trade in prices are the best around, i believe they base it on ebay prices. Anyhow they give a lot of store credit because their purchase price is always rather high (which is why it's better to get another store to price match).

Be warned though that whether or not the prices are beaten by a pound each can depend on who's in charge at the time.

bread's done
Back