Civilization V 39.96

[quote name='dirtybacon']I think this uses steamworks, so you could buy it at Fry's and still use steam.[/QUOTE]

Correct. All retail copies must be activated on Steam, so it doesn't matter where you buy it, you'll have it on Steam.

So will I be able to install the full game and play it in steam without having to insert the physical disc each time to activate it?

[quote name='Sneaky']So will I be able to install the full game and play it in steam without having to insert the physical disc each time to activate it?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Most likely you'll just be able to enter the serial number and be good to go (you can select add game in the menu, then add the serial number). You wouldn't even need to use the disc to install (but might as well since you have it).

I'm still going with the K-Mart deal. I've got a 10 dollar gift card from Coke points and the $20 dollar gaming certificate is always nice.

Civ V uses Steamworks (just like Modern Warfare 2 and Mafia II), so no matter what you will have to activate your copy on Steam. After which, of course, the game will be available in your Steam library forever and you will not need your disks to play. It is for this reason that I am holding out for a deal on the retail version ($30 price point) or the inevitable Steam sale, whichever comes first.

The site says price is guaranteed for online-only, but it would be saweet if that is an in-store release-date price as well :D

[quote name='thecd1']The site says price is guaranteed for online-only, but it would be saweet if that is an in-store release-date price as well :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I don't think that is the case :cry:

[quote name='stoned99']buy it from Direct2drive using the 10$ off PAX code, that comes with 1st DLC and Free Civ 3[/QUOTE]

That coupon expired on the 14th.

[quote name='thecd1']The site says price is guaranteed for online-only, but it would be saweet if that is an in-store release-date price as well :D[/QUOTE]

If your in the Chicago area it is that price in the paper ad. Not sure about other regions though.

[quote name='elyfant422']If your in the Chicago area it is that price in the paper ad. Not sure about other regions though.[/QUOTE]

Well, from Fry's website..."Unless otherwise indicated, ads are for Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Houston (HOU), Los Angeles/Orange County (LA), San Jose (SJ), Phoenix, Renton, Chicago, Austin, Sacramento, and Las Vegas (Vegas) areas."

Could be that if it's on for Chicago then the Ad is also good for these other regions. I'll check Austin out on release day and update.

[quote name='elyfant422']If your in the Chicago area it is that price in the paper ad. Not sure about other regions though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thecd1']Well, from Fry's website..."Unless otherwise indicated, ads are for Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Houston (HOU), Los Angeles/Orange County (LA), San Jose (SJ), Phoenix, Renton, Chicago, Austin, Sacramento, and Las Vegas (Vegas) areas."

Could be that if it's on for Chicago then the Ad is also good for these other regions. I'll check Austin out on release day and update.[/QUOTE]

I went by my local Austin Frys today and checked out their printed ad. It shows that Civ 5 will be 39.99 in-store on release day. :bouncy:

Im pretty sure the answer to my question is as obvious as I think it is: Theres no manual, box-art or case with the download version you can buy off steam?
I know you can actually print the manual now as I just saw its already online, but I dont understand the appeal of not buying the retail version with the manual (assuming that full manual I saw online does indeed come in the box)

And the preorder bonus of an extra civ isnt that appealing to me. Wont the modders just mod that civ come day 2?

[quote name='Nova_01']Im pretty sure the answer to my question is as obvious as I think it is: Theres no manual, box-art or case with the download version you can buy off steam?
I know you can actually print the manual now as I just saw its already online, but I dont understand the appeal of not buying the retail version with the manual (assuming that full manual I saw online does indeed come in the box)

And the preorder bonus of an extra civ isnt that appealing to me. Wont the modders just mod that civ come day 2?[/QUOTE]
There's no manual at all
It's only on a PDF no matter which version.

Ill probably pick it up on release day. Checked the frys ad in my area and it does say its store price. Hoping this one will make up for the last few civ games. Thanks OP.

Got my pre-order already paid off on Amazon with release-date delivery. For the thousands of hours I'm likely to pour into this game over its lifecycle, it's the one game I'm not really concerned how much I'll pay for it since it would be a bargain at twice the price.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone who grabbed it this morning, any first impressions? Is it a must buy?[/QUOTE]

You can grab the demo off steam right now. Only played about 20 mins of it, but seems pretty good. Ill be picking it up later at FRYS today.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone who grabbed it this morning, any first impressions? Is it a must buy?[/QUOTE]

I won't have it until I get home, but yes. It's Civilization. It's a must buy. :D

[quote name='Jaysonguy']There's no manual at all
It's only on a PDF no matter which version.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame to me that PC games are moving away from full manuals. It's always nice to be able to browse a good manual while "away from the computer".

[quote name='Killbomb']It's a shame to me that PC games are moving away from full manuals. It's always nice to be able to browse a good manual while "away from the computer".[/QUOTE] it's quite distressing. :bomb:

bread's done
Back