3D Blu-Ray thread

AngellicLulu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I decided to put a list together of currently available and soon to be available 3D blu-rays and I will keep a current list of the exclusives. I am keeping it to US available. I am only focusing on those blu-rays that require a 3D television/blu-ray player.

Currently Available (Non-exclusives)
3D Aquarium
3D Magic Forest
3D Safari Africa
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Adventure Coral Reef Under the Sea of Egypt
The Adventures of Tintin
Alice in Wonderland
Amazing Nature
Amazing Ocean
The Amazing Spider-Man
Amazon In the Heart of Wild Nature
Arthur Christmas
The Avengers
Bait
Beauty and the Beast
Bolt
Brave
Captain America: The First Avenger
Cars
Cars 2
Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Chicken Little
A Christmas Carol
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Cirque Du Soleil - Worlds Away
Clash of the Titans
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
Conan the Barbarian
Coraline
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Creature from the Black Lagoon (Classic Monsters Collection)
Croods
The Darkest Hour
Day of the Dead
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
Dial M for Murder
Dolphin Tale
Dredd
Drive Angry
Epic
Escape from Planet Earth
Fascination Coral Reef
Fascination Coral Reef Mysterious Worlds Underwater
The Final Destination
Final Destination 5
Finding Nemo
Flying Monsters (40 min. cut)
Flying Monsters (70 min. cut) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (HK - English subs)
Frankenweenie
Fright Night
G-Force
Galapagos Charles Darwin's Big Adventure
Gamer
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Ghosts of the Abyss
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Glee: The 3D Concert Movie
Gnomeo and Juliet
The Great Gatsby
The Green Hornet
Green Lantern
Guardians of the Lost Code (Brijes)
Gulliver's Travels
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters with Digibook (Target exclusive)
Happy Feet Two
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Best Buy Exclusive)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Best Buy Exclusive)
A Haunting in Salem
History in 3D
History of the World in Two Hours
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Theatrical)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (extended edition)
Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil
Hotel Transylvania
House of Wax
How to Train Your Dragon
Hugo
I, Robot
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
IMAX: Arabia
IMAX: Born to Be Wild
IMAX: Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man
IMAX: Deep Sea
IMAX: Dinosaurs Alive!
IMAX: Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia
IMAX: Dolphins and Whales
IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk
IMAX: Hubble
IMAX: Legends of Flight
IMAX: Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs
IMAX: Ocean Wonderland
IMAX: Rescue
IMAX: Sea Rex: Journey to a Prehistoric World
IMAX: Sharks
IMAX: Space Station
IMAX: To the Arctic
IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti
IMAX: Ultimate G's - Zac's Flying Dream
IMAX: Under the Sea
IMAX: Wild Ocean
Immortals
Iron Man 3
Jack the Giant Slayer
Jillian's Travels: Africa
John Carter
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Jurassic Park
Katy Perry: Part of Me
Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3D
Khumba
Kung Fu Panda
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Last Airbender (Best Buy Exclusive)
Legend of the Guardians
Life of Pi
The Lion King
The Lion of Judah
The Little Mermaid
Little Rascals Best of Our Gang
The Lorax
Lord of the Dance
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
Mars in 3D: Images from the Viking Mission
Mars Needs Moms
Meet the Robinsons
Megamind
Men in Black III
Monster House
A Monster in Paris
Monsters, Inc.
Monsters University
Monsters vs. Aliens
My Bloody Valentine
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Night of the Living Dead: Re-Animation
Nitro Circus: The Movie
The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film
Open Season
Oz the Great and Powerful
ParaNorman
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London
Piano Pieces from Mozart, Elgar & Pezzone
Piranha 3D
Piranha 3DD
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
The Polar Express
Priest
Prometheus
Puss in Boots
Resident Evil Afterlife
Resident Evil: Retribution
Rio
Rise of the Guardians
Sadako
Sanctum
Satchurated: Live in Montreal
Saw: The Final Chapter
The Scorpions: Get Your Sting & Blackout Live
Sector 7 (Korean - English subs)
Secret of the Wings
The Shock Labyrinth (JP - English subs)
Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek the Third
Shrek Forever After
Silent Hill: Revelation
The Smurfs
Spiders
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: The 3D Experience
Spy Kids Game Over/Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
Star Trek Into Darkness (Starfleet Phaser Limited Edition Gift Set)
Step Up 3D
Step Up Revolution
Tangled
Tekken: Blood Vengeance
Texas Chainsaw
Thor
The Three Musketeers
Titanic
Titanic: 100 Years in 3D
Top Gun
Tormented
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Toy Story Collection
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Tron Legacy
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron (Special Edition)
A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise
Underworld: Awakening
Up
Upside Down (2D/3D BD or BD/DVD Combo)
The Universe: 7 Wonders of the Solar System
The Universe in 3D
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition (Collector's Edition)
Wrath of the Titans
Wrath of the Titans (Steelbook) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Wreck-It Ralph
WWII in 3D
Yogi Bear

Coming Soon

TBA

The Hole
Madagascar
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Resident Evil: Damnation
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

For Blu-ray 3D Trading:
Cheap Ass Gamer - Official 3D Blu-ray Trade Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
any good tv deal bundles for 55" or up LED? I currently have the SONY DLP garbage. its showing weird blue spotted colors all over the screen. i changed the lightbulb and it happened again after 2-3 months. i want to get rid of it and get a 3D LED instead. i want to sell that tv. how much should i put the WEGA 60" DLP on craigslist?

[quote name='opterasis']It really seems like they don't want 3D to be successful.[/QUOTE]

Oh, they want it to be successful but only in the theaters so they can charge more per ticket. Economy is also soft so i think they are pushing it less.

Is Toy Story 3 anywhere on that list?

[quote name='PaulDE01']Thanks for the list OP. What 3DTV do you have? I bought the Samsung 55 8000 LED TV.[/QUOTE]
Same. I love it!

[quote name='nixmahn']
Is Toy Story 3 anywhere on that list?[/QUOTE]
Toy Story 3 has not been announced yet. Sadly.

[quote name='Britshady']The Final Destination is another one not on the list.[/QUOTE]
That's one that requires red/blue glasses, not a 3d tv, I believe.

Didn't know that about Avatar. I was going to pick it up for the normal BD and all the extras. I guess I will hold off on it and 3d till the 3d tvs come out that you don't need the glasses. I have read that some companies already have ones working.

This list is a good source of info, thanks OP. Unfortunately, it also makes me glad I didn't opt to pay the extra $$$ for 3D support in my LED TV. I'll keep an eye here to see if anything other than a handful of average quality cartoons will ever come out in the next year. I could always change my mind and move the current TV to the bedroom and move up.

[quote name='nixmahn']Oh, they want it to be successful but only in the theaters so they can charge more per ticket. Economy is also soft so i think they are pushing it less.

Is Toy Story 3 anywhere on that list?[/QUOTE]

It just seems ridiculous to have so many different exclusives. If you want it to be successful, why not make it accessible to everyone, not just people that are just buying the starter kits.

They all will or should come out later on. I thought I read on high def that one of the exclusives is going to be non exclusive soon. Just don't remember what one but it was also late at night or early in the morning so hell if I know. Usaully companies sign exclusive deals for a short time to get people to buy their hardware. I would say give it a year it I don't think it will be happening anymore.

I remember seeing a 50" 3D HDTV bundle with a player on SD for around $1440, which seems like a really good deal, although I can't remember which brand it was.

Either way, I am holding out for when they release glasses-free 3D. Hopefully in a few years when this becomes more of a norm there will be glasses-free 3D that surpasses the current 3D TVs in 3D picture. quality.

[quote name='sendme']I guess I will hold off on it and 3d till the 3d tvs come out that you don't need the glasses. [/QUOTE]

That's a bingo.

Getting a new TV is a big enough purchase, but having to pay at least $150 for each pair of glasses is insanity. I'll be more interested in an affordable, glasses-less display which I'm sure is still a few years off.

I suggest anyone looking for 3d glasses go look on ebay versus looking at retail price in a store.

I still can't believe Fox let Avatar go exclusive to a single manufacturer. That's crazy of them. Regardless, I've heard that Pana has it only a few months, so by a year after the release of the regular BD (non-extended), it'll be available for everyone else.

I wish Samsung had not started this exclusives crap with MvA. The sad fact is these 3d BD's aren't even special discs or anything. The encoding can work on a 2d, so there's no good reason to make these discs separately from the 2d version. A 3D disc in a 2D player will be 2D. Why not just make one version?

Greed. You'd think they'd just want the format (3D BD) to succeed more than to milk the few people who've invested so far, but it would appear not. At least Sony's pushing some 3D out, which gives me hope that RE4 3D is going to be widely released, too. I confess, I like the RE movies for no good reason and I did like the latest one, even in 3D.

I've got a question that someone may know the answer to. The price of the glasses turns me off too, so do the glasses from the theaters work at home on a 3D TV? The last few times I've gone to a 3D movie I went during a weekday matinee and barely anyone was working the theater. I walked out and no one was near the dropoff box outside, so you could just walk out with your glasses freely. I didn't know if they were any good at home so I tossed them in anyway. Just curious. I know they feel light and cheap in the theater, and the ones at BB on display were heavy and battery operated. Any real difference?

[quote name='mrosnwo']I've got a question that someone may know the answer to. The price of the glasses turns me off too, so do the glasses from the theaters work at home on a 3D TV? The last few times I've gone to a 3D movie I went during a weekday matinee and barely anyone was working the theater. I walked out and no one was near the dropoff box outside, so you could just walk out with your glasses freely. I didn't know if they were any good at home so I tossed them in anyway. Just curious. I know they feel light and cheap in the theater, and the ones at BB on display were heavy and battery operated. Any real difference?[/QUOTE]No. The glasses at home for the time being are active shutter glasses and the ones in the theater are passive shutter glasses.

For anyone looking for Samsung Glasses I was able to pick up a kit off of amazon marketplace... new set of 2 glasses and MvA for $148 shipped w/ amazon prime.

The Samsung Glasses worth with the Mitsubishi DLPs as long as you have the Mitsu 3D Emitter so it still ends up being much cheaper.

As for why 3D films are released separately from the 2D packs it's because some of the 3D discs have been barebones whereas the 2D versions have had a lot of extras. One of the 3D rips online was over 70GB in size and it was only the movie and audio files. Keep in mind each 3D version is 2 different 1080p video files back to back or side by side.

If MvA went for over $200 on eBay a while back, I wonder what Avatar is going to go for.

Edit: Just checked to see what they're doing now. Most end at around $50.

I just don't get why the seem to be so desperate to kill home 3D adoption. I can't believe they'd make Avatar an exclusive.

[quote name='mrosnwo']I've got a question that someone may know the answer to. The price of the glasses turns me off too, so do the glasses from the theaters work at home on a 3D TV? The last few times I've gone to a 3D movie I went during a weekday matinee and barely anyone was working the theater. I walked out and no one was near the dropoff box outside, so you could just walk out with your glasses freely. I didn't know if they were any good at home so I tossed them in anyway. Just curious. I know they feel light and cheap in the theater, and the ones at BB on display were heavy and battery operated. Any real difference?[/QUOTE]
Completely different technology, man. Won't work.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I just don't get why the seem to be so desperate to kill home 3D adoption. I can't believe they'd make Avatar an exclusive.

Completely different technology, man. Won't work.[/QUOTE]

Panasonic paid a lot of money to make Avatar 3D Exclusive. The whole point is so consumers will pick one brand over the other, and if they want Avatar, they will buy the (more expensive) Panasonic 3D Tv and likely a 3D BD Player, Receiver, Glasses etc.

So far, only the Samsungs look like good TVs. Never been impressed with the Sony 3D Demo's ive seen, but as it stands, all too expensive.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Panasonic paid a lot of money to make Avatar 3D Exclusive. The whole point is so consumers will pick one brand over the other, and if they want Avatar, they will buy the (more expensive) Panasonic 3D Tv and likely a 3D BD Player, Receiver, Glasses etc.

So far, only the Samsungs look like good TVs. Never been impressed with the Sony 3D Demo's ive seen, but as it stands, all too expensive.[/QUOTE]The issue with most of the 3D TVs out there is that they're not LED backlit, they're just LED edge lit, which doesn't give you the same range of contrast and color fidelity that you get out of a LED backlit set. To get LED backlit with local dimming for 3D, you're moving yourself up to the LG LX9500, the Sony HX909 and a few other sets that I can't think of off-hand.

I'm waiting out 3D until we get more sets on the market and get the technology cheaper, which should hopefully be 2-3 years.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm waiting out 3D until we get more sets on the market and get the technology cheaper, which should hopefully be 2-3 years.[/QUOTE]

while I think that is a good plan, that's also long enough to see if it even pans out. I was listening to the Ron and Fez show and they were making the correlation how flat panels and HDTV didn't catch on until the NFL went HD. They were making statements that unless the NFL or some other major broadcasting source goes 3D then the breakthrough will be minimal..

Plus, if it stays around, and is anything like the LCD market ($3k sets 2 years ago, $1500 sets today twice as good) then I hope we can all get 3D for way less than $2k..but the prices right now are just crazy, especially if you just bought and LCD or making payments on one..

[quote name='GizmoGC']You can pick up a snazzy 3D set with glasses and a BD player for under 2k.[/QUOTE]

what?? I must be looking in the wrong places then..all I ever see in the BB ad are at least starting around $2k and going up..but again, I'm not hardcore keeping track of it yet either..

I got my TV for 2.5k with the bluray player and starter kit (2 glasses and Monsters vs Aliens) a couple months ago. I was planning on upgrading to 55 inches and then took the extra leap for the 3D.
There are 3D games available if you look. Avatar the game has 3D capability and there's a few games on the PSN.

Sidenote, ESPN 3D http://espn.go.com/3d/ (not my interest but maybe someone elses)

[quote name='token2k6']while I think that is a good plan, that's also long enough to see if it even pans out. I was listening to the Ron and Fez show and they were making the correlation how flat panels and HDTV didn't catch on until the NFL went HD. They were making statements that unless the NFL or some other major broadcasting source goes 3D then the breakthrough will be minimal..

Plus, if it stays around, and is anything like the LCD market ($3k sets 2 years ago, $1500 sets today twice as good) then I hope we can all get 3D for way less than $2k..but the prices right now are just crazy, especially if you just bought and LCD or making payments on one..[/QUOTE]The other issue that kept HDTVs from getting prolific was cost, because the 37" LCD TV I bought on BF 2006 would be about half of what I paid for it if I bought a similar set, or 1080p for the same price I paid. As LED edge lighting and LED backlighting get cheaper to manufacture, they'll get cheaper to sell and prices will start to drop. I think you may see more of the "buy TV + 3D BR player + 2 glasses + any other needed accessories for the price of the TV" deals going into this holiday season, though I'd be surprised if you still saw them past the early part of next year. Those deals are trying to mitigate the early adopter price penalty, and I'm sure the manufacturers are selling at cost or at a loss to try and get the technology into more consumers.

To get an LED backlit set with local dimming in a 3D version over the 2D version I bought (LG 55LE8500), I would have needed to spend another $1K or more. That's too much of a jump for me right now. I'm constantly amazed with the PQ on my TV, and it's constantly put in the top 3 or top 4 from numerous reviewing sources that review it. I'd rather have drop-dead 2D PQ than try to do 2D & 3D in the same price point and have lesser PQ for 2D.

[quote name='token2k6']what?? I must be looking in the wrong places then..all I ever see in the BB ad are at least starting around $2k and going up..but again, I'm not hardcore keeping track of it yet either..[/QUOTE]There were some deals right at $2K around the beginning of football season for the 52" / 55" sets, and under that for 46", though you really need 52" or more to get the full effect. 65" or 70" will be really the nice points for 3D sets, though you'll be looking at $5K or more.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I got my TV for 2.5k with the bluray player and starter kit (2 glasses and Monsters vs Aliens) a couple months ago. I was planning on upgrading to 55 inches and then took the extra leap for the 3D.
There are 3D games available if you look. Avatar the game has 3D capability and there's a few games on the PSN.

Sidenote, ESPN 3D http://espn.go.com/3d/ (not my interest but maybe someone elses)[/QUOTE]About what I had seen for the 55C8000 + C6900 BR player + 2 glasses w/Monsters vs Aliens in the starter kit in numerous places over the last few months. We'll see more of them as we go into the BF / holiday season timeframe.

[quote name='token2k6']what?? I must be looking in the wrong places then..all I ever see in the BB ad are at least starting around $2k and going up..but again, I'm not hardcore keeping track of it yet either..[/QUOTE]

I just got the Samsung 50c8000 with the 3D Starter kit for $1799 form Best Buy. A couple weeks ago they had the 50c7000 and Starter kit for $1599.

This week they have the Panasonic 50VT20, 3DBD Player, and Starter Kit for $1799.

They even had a Samsung 720P 50" 3D Plasma at one point for around $1100 (no glasses). The prices are falling. Unfortunately most of the content is trapped in exclusive bundles.

when you guys say avatar (panasonic) or how to train your dragon (samsung) does that mean they can only be played on that brand bluray 3d player? like if i have a 3dbluray player by pannasonic can i play how to train your dragon in 3d if i buy it off of ebay? because im about to buy monsters vs aliens in 3d for my panasonic 3d bluray playeroff of ebay?

[quote name='sm0k1nace']when you guys say avatar (panasonic) or how to train your dragon (samsung) does that mean they can only be played on that brand bluray 3d player? like if i have a 3dbluray player by pannasonic can i play how to train your dragon in 3d if i buy it off of ebay? because im about to buy monsters vs aliens in 3d for my panasonic 3d bluray playeroff of ebay?[/QUOTE]
That means that other than from a reseller like on ebay, the only way you can get those blu-rays is through buying that companys tv or starter kits. You can order them on ebay from people and it will play like any other 3D blu-ray.

Thank for this thread, is there a thread up on 3d content in general?

My cable comapny, Brighthouse, has a few of the IMAX 3D movies On Demand, but I'm waiting for the Blu. I have a digital version of the first 5 minutes of Deep Sea 3D, and it looked insane. Anyone have the whole thing on Blu?

[quote name='TreizePlus']Thank for this thread, is there a thread up on 3d content in general?

My cable comapny, Brighthouse, has a few of the IMAX 3D movies On Demand, but I'm waiting for the Blu. I have a digital version of the first 5 minutes of Deep Sea 3D, and it looked insane. Anyone have the whole thing on Blu?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for pointing that out. I have Brighthouse and I'll check out Deep Sea, Under the Sea and Journey into the Center of the Earth in 3d at somepoint.

Another exclusive added to the pack. Last Airbender only available at Best Buy starting on Nov 16th, guess no company wanted it as an exclusive. I wonder why :)

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Another exclusive added to the pack. Last Airbender only available at Best Buy starting on Nov 16th, guess no company wanted it as an exclusive. I wonder why :)[/QUOTE]I think ithe fact that it was a hugely massive bomb might have something to do with it. That, and I think from what I read about the 3D effects, they didn't make sense. Like Alice In Wonderland and Clash Of The Titans, they were shoehorned in in the 10th or 11th hour of production.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think ithe fact that it was a hugely massive bomb might have something to do with it. That, and I think from what I read about the 3D effects, they didn't make sense. Like Alice In Wonderland and Clash Of The Titans, they were shoehorned in in the 10th or 11th hour of production.[/QUOTE]
I was leaning towards the 6% on rotten tomatoes.

Only somewhere relevant to this thread...

I wish they'd do something similar to what the powers that be did for Blu-ray & HD-DVD a few years ago...have a list of eligible models and give a few movies away with purchase. Heck, part of the reason I convinced myself buying a PS3 early on was a good idea was PS2 BC and the 5 free blu ray movies I received, (which ended up being 6 free movies cause they sent me two packs of free movies, 6 original 4 duplicates which I then sold pretty cheap)

Also since I have a "3D-Ready" Mitsubishi, it'd be nice if I got a MOVIE with my 3d starter kit rather than a demo disc :whistle2:/

[quote name='TreizePlus']Thanks for the heads up. Didn't exactly love the movie, but I'm starving enough for 3D to buy it.[/QUOTE]

At the time of the post I made on the 8th, it was $24.99. Now it's back up to $27.99.

The pre-order for Despicable Me 3D, which is a 4-disc with BR, 3D BR, DVD and DC discs, is down to $31.99 on Amazon right now. It's a $6 upgrade cost from the 3-disc BR at $25.99.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Harry Potter is being remade in 3D as confirmed by http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5295

But ironically has cancelled the plans for Deathly Hallows Part 1 to come to theaters in 3D[/QUOTE]

I'm split. I'm really not a fan of post production conversions, but I'm waiting for one to wow me.

The good news is that I know a lot of camera guys that are making an effort to learn how to properly shoot in 3D. Not everyone is willing to jump in though and spend their time and money on something that might not take off...yet they are the people needed for 3D to take off.

bread's done
Back