* * * * * 4 votes

3D Blu-Ray thread

#4081 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3148 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:25 AM

Yep, but only as an import I believe.

#4082 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9684 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:53 AM

Yep, but only as an import I believe.

Yeah, there are a few but be sure on what you get, I know the U.K. version is region locked.

#4083 TheCarsForever   The Cars Forever! CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

TheCarsForever

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, there are a few but be sure on what you get, I know the U.K. version is region locked.

Dang Disney and their 3D-aphobia for the US!  Has anyone found a region free edition to import?

#4084 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   10592 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

Was there ever a BFG 3D release from Disney?  I know it didn't get the box office most Spielberg movies got, but our family really enjoyed it and would love a 3D Blu Ray release.

I think Disney was scared away from the 3D home release by the poor box office for this and Pete's Dragon (which also released the same day, sans 3D).  I thought The BFG was good also, and heard the reviews for Pete's Dragon were good as well. A shame we won't be able to get the complete versions of both of these.

#4085 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1752 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

I think Disney was scared away from the 3D home release by the poor box office for this and Pete's Dragon (which also released the same day, sans 3D).  I thought The BFG was good also, and heard the reviews for Pete's Dragon were good as well. A shame we won't be able to get the complete versions of both of these.

No 3-D releases from Disney is almost expected now (Pixar, select Disney Animation Studios releases, and Star Wars seem to be exceptions, though they made us wait a good six months or so for Episode 7 3-D). Maleficent (which did extremely well in theaters) didn't get the 3-D treatment, nor Big Hero 6, nor did Alice Through the Looking Glass (though that one did not do well in theaters). So many people must have bought a 3-D version of Frozen through Amazon UK (everyone I know that has a 3-D TV did) that version is now offered through U.S. Amazon. This region locking business, though nothing new (hello Ratatouille), really sucks, and I hope they don't start using it more.

#4086 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9684 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

Dang Disney and their 3D-aphobia for the US!  Has anyone found a region free edition to import?

I bought the Indian which is Region Free, I believe the German release may be region free but not entirely sure, there is a Norwegian release that came out not to long ago but unsure about that one, it does come with a Dolby Atmos.

#4087 TheCarsForever   The Cars Forever! CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

TheCarsForever

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

I bought the Indian which is Region Free, I believe the German release may be region free but not entirely sure, there is a Norwegian release that came out not to long ago but unsure about that one, it does come with a Dolby Atmos.

Do you have a trustworthy source you purchased the indian release of BFG 3D?  I only see the UK and German currently on eBay and would appreciate a recommendation if you have had good luck with someone.  Thanks!

#4088 sydra   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

Do you have a trustworthy source you purchased the indian release of BFG 3D?  I only see the UK and German currently on eBay and would appreciate a recommendation if you have had good luck with someone.  Thanks!

https://rahulandi.com/ is a very legit source for Indian releases.  They do sell BFG 3D on ebay though, username on there is rahul-and-i-store. 

Posted Image

#4089 TheCarsForever   The Cars Forever! CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

TheCarsForever

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

https://rahulandi.com/ is a very legit source for Indian releases.  They do sell BFG 3D on ebay though, username on there is rahul-and-i-store. 

After reading your note, I think this is the same seller I used to get Big Hero 6 3D.  I will dig in and see if I am ready to spend over $30 for BFG O:)

#4090 nosferatu51  

nosferatu51

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:01 AM

Amazon has Warcraft 3d on sale today. Not a great price, but I've rarely actually seen it on sale and in stock

#4091 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3148 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:55 AM

I know this is a bit off topic but figure I would mentioned CES 2017 has effectively had zero 3D TVs announced which many are calling the death knell of the feature. Hard to believe such a cheap function would get totally eliminated from the market but for those who were either looking at 3D or getting a new TV with 3D in thee odds aren't looking good.

#4092 panasonic   Joanna Dark CAGiversary!   4668 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

no 3d tvs at ces = cry.  I was hoping to get an updated oled with it. What are the options we have in the future? Projectors doesn't seem simple and WAY more costly. Might have to get my 3d tv repaired or buy a 2016 model now. 

#4093 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1752 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

I know this is a bit off topic but figure I would mentioned CES 2017 has effectively had zero 3D TVs announced which many are calling the death knell of the feature. Hard to believe such a cheap function would get totally eliminated from the market but for those who were either looking at 3D or getting a new TV with 3D in thee odds aren't looking good.

I find it hard to believe at least one manufacturer won't make them, especially since 3-D versions often outsell their 2-D counterparts, but there seems to be a lot of hatred by some very powerful people, and that often trumps economics. If the 3-D TVs out there now are all that will ever exist, I simply won't buy any new TV that doesn't have 3-D in it, and if my current TV breaks I guess I won't ever get to watch TV again and my movie collection will stagnate.

#4094 panasonic   Joanna Dark CAGiversary!   4668 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:54 AM

Vr Headsets are 3D anyone know if you can watch 3d blu rays on a ps vr or htc vive? if so hope for the future with better screens in them!

#4095 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3148 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

Vr Headsets are 3D anyone know if you can watch 3d blu rays on a ps vr or htc vive? if so hope for the future with better screens in them!

Good point, apparently all 3D headsets do support 3D content except PSVR, which should hopefully change soon. Since VR natively has to render side x side 3D in most cases it actually takes more effort to turn 3D off for bluray. Even though it will be a while before there are high res VR panels at least it means I won't be stuck with a bunch of great movies I can't watch. Force Awakens 3D was absolutely amazing and it's crazy that you wouldn't be able to watch it if you bought a new TV in 2017.

Edit: Scratch that, as Occulus and Vive only support it through alot of hacks of ripping and and encoding the bluray which isn't exactly consumer friendly. I guess at least the display obviously still support it.

#4096 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49862 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Guess I need to look out for 2016 TVs going forward.  Feh.

#4097 anderson4145   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   691 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

anderson4145

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

Thankfully projectors still include 3d which is where it looks the best anyway.

#4098 panasonic   Joanna Dark CAGiversary!   4668 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:10 AM

Thankfully projectors still include 3d which is where it looks the best anyway.

any recommendations on a passive 3d projector? do they exist?

#4099 anderson4145   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   691 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

anderson4145

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:54 AM

I don't think passive ones exist but my epson has awesome 3d and the glasses are nearly the same size/weight as the passive ones.

#4100 flix1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1550 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

any recommendations on a passive 3d projector? do they exist?

My understanding is that to do passive 3D with projectors is to use 2 synchronized projectors with polarizing lenses and something to split the signal streams. I just started looking into doing the same.

#4101 TheCarsForever   The Cars Forever! CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

TheCarsForever

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

I don't think passive ones exist but my epson has awesome 3d and the glasses are nearly the same size/weight as the passive ones.

I strongly agree!  My Epson projector creates a phenominal 3D image - much better than I get in theatres with passive lenses.  I cannot argue with a 120" wide 3D image either!  If you go projector, use a real screen or a screen paint like Screen Goo to get the best quality image.  Shooting the projector on a white wall will work, but is far from the best presentation.

#4102 cbulas1   John 3:16 CAGiversary!   895 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

For three years I've had an Epson 3D projector shot onto a plain white wall without a screen or any fancy projector paint and I can't imagine the picture quality being any better, just my $.02.  I do have the white portion of the wall framed with some wood I painted black, though, so I assume that helps.

Posted Image

#4103 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3148 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

This projector talk raises my spirits O:)  Thanks. I don't have a place currently to put one but it's nice to know that it sounds like it will be a feature in the foreseeable future.

#4104 TheCarsForever   The Cars Forever! CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

TheCarsForever

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

For three years I've had an Epson 3D projector shot onto a plain white wall without a screen or any fancy projector paint and I can't imagine the picture quality being any better, just my $.02.  I do have the white portion of the wall framed with some wood I painted black, though, so I assume that helps.

I felt exactly the same way...until I painted the wall with Screen Goo.  I used a Sony projector for about 5 years and then the first year of my Epson projector on a plain white wall and was very happy.  While the Epson projector did a great job on the white wall, the image really 'pops' after being painted.  Next time you are at a movie theatre look at a screen when they are not running an image on it, which may be tough since they seem to run ads constantly.  You will see that the screen is not white and the contrast helps create a much richer color depth.  Once you use a surface made to project on you will have a tough time going back - especially for 3D.  All of this said, a projector is a great 3D experience whether you use a dedicated projecting surface or not.

#4105 were8kosh  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

i got a LG mini beam 550

https://www.amazon.c...ibeam projector

its pretty sweet projector for the price. in summer when sun sets i can cover my shed side for a movie while having a fire going.

led bulb so last pretty much the life of the unit. 550 lumens  works perfect for me for the use.

#4106 numchuk nate   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

numchuk nate

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:25 AM

300 Rise of an Empire is down to $8 from a few prime-eligible sellers on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...N=B00I6JODV4&m=

#4107 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1752 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

i got a LG mini beam 550

https://www.amazon.c...ibeam projector

its pretty sweet projector for the price. in summer when sun sets i can cover my shed side for a movie while having a fire going.

led bulb so last pretty much the life of the unit. 550 lumens  works perfect for me for the use.

That's cheaper than even the lowest end 3-D TVs cost.

#4108 were8kosh  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

That's cheaper than even the lowest end 3-D TVs cost.

it really is a fun toy. i use it more then i thought i would since its simple and fast to setup to use on a whims notice. just grab it, usb stick and my little blue tooth speaker 5 minutes and im outside watching shows. at nights the colors really pop. i was worried the 550 lumens would not be enough but i can get a screen size around 12ft tall bye 19ft long. and still very watchable. if i had a bigger wall i sure i could go bigger.

#4109 Brewc5368  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

What is the USB stick for? Do you keep your media on it?

#4110 were8kosh  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

ya it played all sofar with no problems but have not tried a 3d movie off the stick yet.

it also has a tv turner in it so with a small antenna you can watch football anywhere. the battery last for 1hr give or take. but can plug in outlet.