Are there any problems with Amazon.com's marketplace?

AlbinoNinja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I was ordering a few books off of amazon (Da Gospel According to Ali G and The Ultimate Power: The Ninja Handbook) and I figured I'd get a thing or two so i can get saver shipping ($25)

To my surprise, i discovered Splinter Cell (the book) for $2.20 and The Bourne Identity (once again, book, not movie) for $.60. I understand that the books are used, and most likely not in great shape, but I really don't mind and I don't care when the books are shipped. I check under help, and sure enough i can pay using a credit card and theres no chance the seller will find out the number thanks to Amazon's overlooking everything

But now i think to myself, this is too good to be true...
Has anyone had any problems with this system? Or would you recommend this?

EDIT: okay, shippings a little pricey ($3.50/item), but i can live with that

I bought lots of books from various sellers in the marketplace before. Never had a problem. Although I never bought books under $1 (since I mainly bought textbooks), they're probably that low since the sellers couldn't sell them over a period of time, so they lowered the prices. As long as the sellers have a nice number of feedbacks, you should be ok.

It works exactly like Half.com, so you run the same risks on Amazon as you would on Half.com. The only risks really are items not as described and the seller not sending the item. Half.com was really good about refunding when a seller doesn't send the item, so I would guess Amazon is the same. (Half.com has generally cheaper shipping, if that makes any difference.)

I dont know anything about Half.com, but I have to say that Amazon is very safe.

I sold a few things last year on Amazon and one of them the buyer claimed never arrived. I didnt have any tracking info, I just told Amazon that I sent it, and that was the last I heard of the case. I assume that they refunded the Buyers money, with very little resistance.

I buy books, games, and dvd's from amazon marketplace all the time. Never had a problem so far. I would be careful buying anything that had multiple editions, or covers or otherwise confusing differences (assuming they're differences you care about) because I've seen a lot of stuff that's not quite what they say it is. For example, cheaper import versions of movies and such. As far as books, mass market paperbacks are quite often less than $1. The only problem is the more expensive shipping, but if you're buying a book for 37 cents instead of 12 dollars, well, I don't have to spell it out for you.

Not to mention amazon has one of the highest rated customer service departments known to man. They probably want to keep it that way.

bread's done
Back