HELP!! First time goin to New Orleans need recommedations!!

cag1000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
So first time going to New Orleans and hoping that some local NO cags can give me some insider info on the good places to eat, shop, site seeing. I would love to know any good, comic shops, videogame shops(non gamestop type), designer toy or cool toy shops, vintage shops, weird and upscale clothing stores that are specific to New Orleans, bars, absinthe bars, voodoo shops, occult shops, haunted houses or tours for halloween... anything I have to see, buy, eat, drink...

Step 1: Buy plastic beads

Step 2: Exchange plastic beads with women in exchange for them flashing you.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit.

[quote name='lordopus99']Cafe Du Monde - breakfast - for Beignets - so amazing![/QUOTE]

Bingo! This is what I was going to post. Lived in NOLA for two years, going to end up going back probably. Thi is such a treat/delight to come to this place, especially in the middle of the night. The one in the French Quarter is open 24 hours

OP, gotta ride the street car, especially through the Garden District (best way to see it IMO) and see Tulane/Loyola campuses. Very nice to see.

[quote name='Sporadic']Stop at a local deli and get a muffaletta. Delicious. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta First thing I did when I got off the plane in New Orleans. Can't remember the deli but I was in the Garden District (which is pretty cool if you like looking at older buildings)[/QUOTE]

Muffaletta's are good, but you have to get one from Central Grocery. The original place for them, and the biggest/best tasting of all the muffaletta's I had in NOLA. You'll have to get there early, however, OP, as I remember they would close early (4/5 maybe?) and there's always a line.

Also, get yourself a Shrimp Poy Boy. Remember to get your Po Boy dressed and with cheese. Mmmm....I could eat one of those now. A Po Boy is delish and you want find anything even close to anywhere else (coming from a Vegas/Cali CAG here). From my wanderings of NOLA, Loyola used to make a good, cheapass Shrimp Po Boy, not sure now, but there are several places in the French Quarter that have great Shrimp and/or Po Boys. There's one restaurant, in particular, that is coming to mind, but I can't remember its name. It's just very famous and has all kinds of local and national celebrities on its walls. It's kind of a hard place to find, tucked away on a side street (all the good places are pretty much).

I'll try to think of some other local stuff I used to do in NOLA. It's just really late where I'm currently living, and I actually should be sleeping instead of internet browsing/CAG hopping.

Nice thanks I'm going to post of list of what I got so far after a few more recommendations. Thanks!!

What about specific stores anyone know of any? Men's clothes...Voodoo shops..toy/comic shops?

Some other restaurants I can think of that are awesome:

Depending on your budget and how much of a budget you're on, you can't go wrong at any of Emeril's places (Delmonicos, etc.). But they're definitely on the pricier side.

Also, if you're in the garden district, head out to Camelia Grill. It's this ol' hole in the wall diner type place, but it's awesome food.

Id recommend the usual such as Biegnets... French Quarter (Bourbon St lots of great adult clubs, still have fond memories of getting kicked out of the Hustler club for simply defending my brother who had just returned from Afghanistan)... French Market... theres a ton of shops everywhere selling the usual tourist items like shirts and beads

Mothers (restaraunt) on Poydras... really good, wanted to go last time I was there but the line stretched out for a long way out the door

Pat O'briens PIANO BAR... seriously, this place is great, took my wife there a few weeks back and she loved it, having never went... get a hurricane, get buzzed and sing along to your favorites
St Louis Cathedral if open is a good way to take a break while around Jackson Square

Audubon Zoo is awesome, the Art museum is good, the Aquarium of the Americas is overpriced for the short time it takes to navigate

Important, dont listen to anyone who starts commenting about your shoes... some stupid local trick to try to con you out of money by then telling you where you got your shoes...

New Orleans is a great place to people watch and just walk around too... Ive been many times for everything from NFL games, to concerts, to Mardi Gras

Nice good recommendations, I'm going to the commodor (I think it's called) one of Emeril's places. Anyone been to chef Paul Prudhomme's place? Thanks for the shoe info I did hear about that, that they would just say you got them on your feet. I wouldn't get into it with them anyway. Pat O'briens is on the list to go to along with the french market. Did not know about the cash only at cafe du monde so it's good you said that. What about the cemetery's with the above ground crypts anyone check that out? Any other places?

Thanks for starting this topic cag1000. My wife and I are going there in two weeks for our anniversary. There are some great recommendations here and I'd like to bump this topic for anyone with any more must go to places and restaurants (including you cag1000 if you've already made your trip). Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Gden']Diner Drive0ins and dives has done some information about a bunch of great restaurants in that area.[/QUOTE]

I haven't looked at the episode/for the episode, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they covered Camelia grill in the garden district. I can't believe I forgot to post that. Also, ya'll should drive over the various bridges in and around NOLA. Bunch of fun for the thrill seekers, including one of the longest wooden bridges (I think it was wooden, the really narrow two, maybe 4 lane bridge) and the ponchetrain bridges.

If you like jazz, check out Conservation Hall. It closes early though (at 11) and the lineup usually starts at 6 or 7. Do not go to Cafe Du Monde except in the middle of the night. There are a million tourists in line during the day, so expect to wait an hour or 2 in line. If you're going drinking on Bourbon St., do not get too drunk. It's a fight waiting to happen, or a robbery. If you're going with a female, keep her close. NO can be a dangerous city, and the cops aren't very helpful. Crawfish are everywhere, but to be honest, they're not as good as I've found back home. And bring monies if you're in the touristy areas. Drinks aren't cheap.

Got to big daddy's. It's the one with the legs swinging back and forth out the front window. You might be tempted by a hi-class joint like the hustler club, but there they obey the 'laws.' Not so at big daddy's. Even the waitresses keep their mouths shut when they see the girls with their mouths open.

Thanks for the great advice guys! V3rtigo I'll definitely be watching my back....thanks for the warnings. And Adobe, I may have hit up Big Daddy's in my pre-marriage days, but gonna have to pass this trip;)

Right now my definites are:

- Late night at Cafe Du Monde
- Muffelata at Central Grocery
- Po Boy's at Johny's Po Boys
- Camelia Grill
- Liuzza's
- Hand Grenades at Tropicle Isle and Hurricanes at Pat O' Brien's (and the rest of Bourbon Street!)
- A beer or two a Lafitte's
- Hitting the French Market and Jackson Square
- Some slots at Harrah's

I hope I can fit that all in in four days. Also, I'll be there while the Saints are in town against the Seahawks. Anyone know a good place to enjoy the festivities?

Finally, can anyone suggest any good tours....Ghost tours, city tours, home tours, etc.?

[quote name='maccabee72']Thanks for the great advice guys! V3rtigo I'll definitely be watching my back....thanks for the warnings. And Adobe, I may have hit up Big Daddy's in my pre-marriage days, but gonna have to pass this trip;)

Right now my definites are:

- Late night at Cafe Du Monde
- Muffelata at Central Grocery
- Po Boy's at Johny's Po Boys
- Camelia Grill
- Liuzza's
- Hand Grenades at Tropicle Isle and Hurricanes at Pat O' Brien's (and the rest of Bourbon Street!)
- A beer or two a Lafitte's
- Hitting the French Market and Jackson Square
- Some slots at Harrah's

I hope I can fit that all in in four days. Also, I'll be there while the Saints are in town against the Seahawks. Anyone know a good place to enjoy the festivities?

Finally, can anyone suggest any good tours....Ghost tours, city tours, home tours, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Skip the Harrah's in NOLA. It's rigged and the machines don't have proper pay outs like else where in the country (ala Vegas, Fox Woods, Biloxi, Tunica). Trust me I know. If you want, play Texas Hold 'Em in NOLA as there's tons of actions, ridiculous/retarded/stupid play, lots and lots of money being thrown around, and a busy game 24/7.

bread's done
Back