MAG becomes PS3 GH $29.99

Seems kinda soon for MAG to already become a Greatest Hits title. Also, with the genre already so crowded with better releases I can't see a reason to devote time to it.

[quote name='Colt1831']http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/25/mag-joins-ps3-greatest-hits-library-this-week/ Mag will be a PS3 Greatest Hit starting September 28th and will be $29.99
Keep in mind that the 2.0 update is coming soon with PS Move support

Borderlands will also be a 360 PH/PS3 GH at $29.99 http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273847[/QUOTE]

i think the 28th is the day the stuff from beta goes into the full version as well (skill tree overhaul / move support etc etc). ive kinda been on the fence about this game, but for 30 dollars i cant go wrong :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oasisboy']MAG a Greatest Hit? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Same thought.

This could not have sold near enough to be a GH

Mag is really a great game, my main concern is how long is there going to be an active fan base for it. I know Reach has had to cut into alot of the shooter base, and with Call of Dookie and Medal of Honor coming, the saturation point is going to be well overdone. Id love to get back into Mag, and at this price it is hard not to, just... is there still going to be a player base is a huge issue since this is an online only game.

PS2 greatest hits only needed to produce 400k copies (not even sold through), and be released for a year. Apparently Sony is lowering the bar for the ps3.

I'm still considering picking this up... nah LBP2, and GT5 are enough to keep my ps3 happy.

Dang just got this used from gamely not to long ago for 25. I saw this coming though. It's worth the price of admission. It's improved a ton from the initial beta and the games really do feel massive. I love how the unlockable and leveling system is handled. Makes it pretty addictive. Of course I'm busy with halo right now, but I'll definitely be revisiting this game.

[quote name='Colt1831']No, Yay For Price Drop:twoguns::grouphug:[/QUOTE]

and its the new msrp. thanks for posting

[quote name='blitz6speed']Nice, i wanted MAG for the move controls anyway, so this is great timing.[/QUOTE]

i hope its not like crap move controls in RE5

Actually they raised the number to 500k sold, MAG passed that mark in Q1 of this year. They were just waiting for it to hit the 10 month mark to qualify for GH status.

any reason to wait for authentic GH editions to hit the shelf? I know we were all on the fence over RE5 Gold Move artwork vs. non-Move, but I saw the Move RE5 tonight and didn't think it was that horrible. Plus if these artworked up versions indicate the Move patch is already included, that's all the better right???

but yeah I'll pick this up for sure for around $30 or a little less, need to get all the good Move games I can..

910,000 sold in like 8 months per vgchartz released 1/26/10 not bad. Holiday rush w/price drop should push it well past 1 mill.
Heavy rain should be next 1.44 mill since 2/23/10

[quote name='dallow']Just in time for Move support.

Also, vgchartz is all fake numbers, just fyi.[/QUOTE]

They are estimates just like NPD, just going global and they re-adjust after NPD numbers, so they are probably pretty accurate in that regard. The game has been out long enough for it to get re-adjusted.

i have RE5 and play it with the move controls.
there hasnt been a chapter i havent S ranked, compared to my average B ranking when i played a friends house with a six axis

I loved MAG, but I got bored of it quickly. I didn't buy the DLC because I generally don't buy any DLC. That being said, I thought I would like it like Socom. But that isn't the case. Socom had an intimate feeling, like being able to pick what room you wanted to join and not to mention Clan wars. MAG just throws you in matchmaking and you join random players which most do not have mics. Zipper did try to throw in some aspects of Socom though. Even though they're adding Clan wars, it won't be the same. Part of the fun of a Clan is finding a clan by joining Clan tryout rooms in Socom.

Ultimately imo, the game just didn't have the players. Even at launch the totals were pretty meh and it just kept getting worse from there. Still a fun game though.

Picked this up a little over two months ago at Sams Club for $23.XX. Very underrated game IMO. I thought that 256 players on a single map would cause lag but the engine holds up surprisingly well although the big battles can get a little hectic anf frustrating at times with all the chaos. Also some my complain that once you chose your faction, there is no going back or switching teams, however that kind of gives you a sense of team pride (I joined S.E.V.R.) that you dont get with a lot of multiplayer FPS. This game is well worth it at $29.99. Hope this helps anyone on the fence about getting this game.

MAG has spoiled me. I now find games boring that have less than 132 people in a round. Multiplayer in COD just seem so blah and small after you enjoy what MAG has to offer.

$30 is a steal.

[quote name='jubeininja69']wouldn't buy it. the game is dead and its time to move on to better shooters out there.[/QUOTE]

Game isn't dead at all. lots of people still play. i'm sure more will return with the release of the new patch soon.

[quote name='jubeininja69']wouldn't buy it. the game is dead and its time to move on to better shooters out there.[/QUOTE]

Strongly disagree, there are plenty of players in this game. I find myself waiting in que for as much as 5 minutes or more sometimes just to be joined to one of the 256 domination maps and the 64 player supression maps are always full and load quickly. Now with the price drop coupled with the Move compatability I expect more players in the following months.

[quote name='62t']No they don't.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/06/analysis_what_vgchartz_does_and.php[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link I read through the Iron Man and Ben 10 fiasco. NPD has a higher sampling but they are still estimates and are not perfect, VGChartz has gotten better over the years and not perfect either. Hardware wise they are getting even better and are at or around 99%. The only two major readjustment I saw was Valkria Chronicles and Mass Effect 2. Also, some publishers will claim a title has "sold" 1+ million units but in reality those are shipped and get confused together.

I'd still say the MAG numbers are very real, as it did get quite a bit of advertisement and sold pretty well from what I've seen. Brett has also asked me directly for numbers for sampling and I've given him shipment numbers when needed. Also keep in mind that article is several years old and he's made a few adjustments since then. But if you want to ask more of his adjustments ask him directly - I don't work for him but am able to offer him help when needed, I just grow tired of hearing the vgcharts numbers are fake or estimates when NPD does the same thing just that they have higher sampling rates then VGChartz.

[quote name='ch2423']MAG has spoiled me. I now find games boring that have less than 132 people in a round. Multiplayer in COD just seem so blah and small after you enjoy what MAG has to offer.[/QUOTE] Unless you're part of a clan, FPS team games have a habit of leaning towards the "lone wolf" approach. COD had enough problems getting 8-12 random people on a team working together. Even with the built-in team management stuff, was MAG any better with 128 random people on a team? When I watched it played, it still appeared that players would drift from focusing together on the objectives.

[quote name='legendarydogs']Looks like they are trying one final push for sales[/QUOTE]
No, they are trying to use this as a vehicle to get people on Move. Socom won't be out for a while so they need something to pull in the "hardcore" crowd; what better a way than to drop the price on a Move enabled mulitplayer FPS. To be honest, it may work, for me at least; I'm considering grabbing a move controller and a copy.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']No, they are trying to use this as a vehicle to get people on Move. Socom won't be out for a while so they need something to pull in the "hardcore" crowd; what better a way than to drop the price on a Move enabled mulitplayer FPS. To be honest, it may work, for me at least; I'm considering grabbing a move controller and a copy.[/QUOTE]

If you actually read what you typed, you would see what you said only helped prove my argument.

I'll buy it now, although won't use move.

And I LOVE RE5 move controls. Playing through again makes me wonder how I ever used the controller.

[quote name='Doomtime']Really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree. It looks very dated visually.

[quote name='legendarydogs']If you actually read what you typed, you would see what you said only helped prove my argument.[/QUOTE]

I think he's trying to indicate Sony's trying for some steam during a marathon and not a cross over a finish line in a sprint. MAG doesn't have to die once SOCOM hits stores, after all, it just got Move support and the dev's have noted long term support. I don't sense any finality or deathblow in this maneuver but that's just me.

Had to view this thread before it gets deleted like the Amazon/GS $35 with $10 credit thread in May.

I wonder how accessible this game will be now, as there's no campaign to familiarize yourself with the gameplay. I don't recall people saying there are even bots. Seems you'd be jumping into an online community of hardcore veterans, while having zero experience yourself. Maybe the new MSRP with bring an influx of new blood that can come up through the ranks playing each other instead of being cannon fodder for the t337.

Given the apparent emphasis on team tactics in the design, the reports of minimal use of voice chat are a bummer. Sometimes I wonder why MS and Sony even bother. MS threw headsets in the box and still the silence is deafening (although I did hear the occasional cough in BF1943 the other night). I hope to find a good tactical gaming community someday that plays these games to their potential.

[quote name='gantt']Had to view this thread before it gets deleted like the Amazon/GS $35 with $10 credit thread in May.

I wonder how accessible this game will be now, as there's no campaign to familiarize yourself with the gameplay. I don't recall people saying there are even bots. Seems you'd be jumping into an online community of hardcore veterans, while having zero experience yourself. Maybe the new MSRP with bring an influx of new blood that can come up through the ranks playing each other instead of being cannon fodder for the t337.

Given the apparent emphasis on team tactics in the design, the reports of minimal use of voice chat are a bummer. Sometimes I wonder why MS and Sony even bother. MS threw headsets in the box and still the silence is deafening (although I did hear the occasional cough in BF1943 the other night). I hope to find a good tactical gaming community someday that plays these games to their potential.[/QUOTE]

CoD games on XBL usually are talkative. Anything for the PS3 is laughable in comparison. There's really no community when it comes to voice communications on the PS3, currently.

That's not true. Socom Confrontation has alot of mic users and that's not even made by Zipper. I can almost guarantee Socom 4 will have a heavy concentration of mic users as well. That's the only game on ps3 though that is like that. Almost everything else is meh. I run into a few mic users on warhawk though.

[quote name='hendrickfan24']hmm...will wait when its $15[/QUOTE]

Seeing how the enjoyment of the game depends on the number of players online, it might be too late then! Go for it now!

I got flamed to hell for posting a MAG deal on CAG about 3 or 4 months ago. The thread was deleted by the clueless, biased mods here.
There are tons of MAG haters here, so it's not a surprise there are trolls in this thread hating on the game again.

MAG is a great game but it's not for everyone. It doesn't have auto-aim, which is something most FPS players are used to having and actually need to do well. Otherwise, they hate games that do not have auto-aim / aim-assist. It doesn't have the best graphics because it supports up to 256 players, has extremely large maps, and has airstrikes going off everywhere. Levels 1-40 can be extremely frustrating because you don't have the character / weapon upgrades required to stand a chance against some of this game's great players that have been playing for over 8 months already. Domination can get very laggy because there are so many players from around the world (a lot from Japan and Europe) playing with N.A. players.

If you can overlook those negative aspects of MAG and get pass level 30 or 40, this game is one of the best FPS shooters available. No other FPS can compare to the fun and excitement you get from playing MAG (when everything's going right and when you're on a good team). No other game can come close to making you feel like you're in an actual warzone like MAG can. And no other FPS requires as much skill, thinking, and teamwork to do well.

To the haters saying this game doesn't have players, you're flat-out wrong. Queue times are almost non-existent for Sabotage (the game's lowest playercount game mode - 64 players). It does take a few minutes to queue up for the largest game mode (Domination - 256 players) at certain times of the day when not a lot of people are online.

Anyway, $30 is a decent deal for MAG. With Move functionality, "MAG 2.0" (completely revamped patch), and the new Escalation DLC coming in a few weeks, this is a good time to get the game if you're at all a competent FPS gamer.

[quote name='thehoweller']CoD games on XBL usually are talkative. Anything for the PS3 is laughable in comparison. There's really no community when it comes to voice communications on the PS3, currently.[/QUOTE]

So says the Xbox fanboy...

Lots of people use mics in MAG, especially clans.
People usually don't talk much late at night (N.A. time) because MAG is more populated with worldwide players.

[quote name='Click']So says the Xbox fanboy...

Lots of people use mics in MAG, especially clans.
People usually don't talk much late at night (N.A. time) because MAG is more populated with worldwide players.[/QUOTE]

Also, chat in MAG tends to focus on the actual game and strategy, not on the pounding of other family members and the sucking of roosters

bread's done
Back