Compaq Presario CQ5500F

Buuhan1

CAGiversary!
This is the best computer I can find within my very tiny budget. I don't expect to be able to game on this thing, but I need a computer and this seems like it will suit my needs. In your knowledge, forgetting about playing games on this, will this be a decent computer? Down the line if I do want to upgrade it, would that be a possibilty or would I need to pretty much rebuild the whole thing?

I just really need a computer and can't spend more than $300-$400, and I'm rather impaitent and don't want to wait till Black Friday for something to spring up. Also, no, I don't want to build a computer, especially considering I ain't gotta throw a couple hundred down on Windows alone.

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-CQ5500F-Desktop-PC/dp/B003L0OQ24/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Appreciate any help.

How about a Dell from the Dell outlet (outlet.dell.com)?

If you can be just a little patient, you can find an Inspiron 560 with a Core 2 Quad in your price range. I did this for a friend of mine about a month ago. I got him a Core 2 Quad with 4 GB of RAM and a 750GB HDD for $389 and free shipping.

The stock at the outlet is constantly in flux, so you have to check maybe 3 times a day for a few days before you find what you're looking for. Sometimes they have zip, and then the next day they are chock full.

[quote name='m6oo']How about a Dell from the Dell outlet (outlet.dell.com)?

If you can be just a little patient, you can find an Inspiron 560 with a Core 2 Quad in your price range. I did this for a friend of mine about a month ago. I got him a Core 2 Quad with 4 GB of RAM and a 750GB HDD for $389 and free shipping.

The stock at the outlet is constantly in flux, so you have to check maybe 3 times a day for a few days before you find what you're looking for. Sometimes they have zip, and then the next day they are chock full.[/QUOTE]

Unfortuntely Dell outlet don't work for shit on the PS3, which is my source of net browsing at the moment. My only option is to go to the library, and I can't very well hang out at the library waiting for a deal to pop up. I'd love to get a Dell, considering my last computer was a Dell, and while it had absolutely no specs on it, it still lasted 8 years. I had to rebuild it after overheating twice, tho.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Was looking good... till I read it was Vista. Are refurbished PCs that reliable anyhow?[/QUOTE]

Vista isn't that bad. A lot of the problems it had early on are not all that relevant anymore. If you want to, you could always upgrade to 7 later on. From what I understand the upgrade process from Vista to 7 is fairly painless since it doesn't require a clean install and lets you keep all your data and settings.

I just really have a hard time recommending any system with a single core processor and less than 4 gigs of RAM anymore. Those 2 things are going to make more of a difference for your experience than if you're running Vista or Windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Vista and it's not horrible. It's alright. You can upgrade to 7 for something like $70 as long as you have a .edu email address too. I never really had a reason to do it, so I just stuck with Vista.

[quote name='darkrider23']i've been using vista and it's not horrible. It's alright. You can upgrade to 7 for something like $70 as long as you have a .edu email address too. I never really had a reason to do it, so i just stuck with vista.[/quote]

$30.

If you're willing to build...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6046492&CatId=332

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932&sku=M17-7302

Come out to $382 shipping included for me.

Forget the compaq. Reason 1) it's a compaq, they're already using the cheapest parts possible. 2) we're using the cheapest part possible but at least we have control over them. 3) this computer will be significantly better (1 vs 3 core cpu, 500 gb vs. 1 tb hdd) 4) forget about tyring to upgrade that thing. By the time you're ready it will have been too old to bother. parts will become harder to find, etc.
If you're not into building then how about a netbook?
There's this (cheapest one there): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932&sku=M17-7302

I bought a netbook for when I'm at school and it serves me well. I would recommend it to you but tigerdirect doesn't have them in stock anymore...

Ultimately, it's pretty much what you think you'll be okay with. From the sounds of it, anything will be better than the ps3 browser at this point lol. Also they have that same compaq at bestbuy as a bundle with the screen for $380. I don't know if you need one or not.

You can upgrade to 7 for something like $70 as long as you have a .edu email address too.

If you have a .edu email address you can get Windows 2008 R2 for free (dreamspark.com). Windows 2008 R2 is a superset of Windows 7.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']What are you going to be using it for?[/QUOTE]

Net browsing, videos, flash games, and illustrating in a graphical program (like Photoshop or Painter) mostly. Like I said, I'd like to be able to play games on it, but I know for my budget that's a no go. I should still be able to play older games tho.

[quote name='iRent']If you're willing to build...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6046492&CatId=332

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932&sku=M17-7302

Come out to $382 shipping included for me.[/quote]
Is this the best deal I'm gonna come across? How tech savy do I have to be do build this, can I screw up bad? Does it come with a warranty or anything like this? If I have to build a computer to get a great deal, I'll do it. But if I'm only getting a bit more than if I bought a $400 computer, I'd rather do that.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Is this the best deal I'm gonna come across? How tech savy do I have to be do build this, can I screw up bad? Does it come with a warranty or anything like this? If I have to build a computer to get a great deal, I'll do it. But if I'm only getting a bit more than if I bought a $400 computer, I'd rather do that.[/QUOTE]
In a program like photoshop, that build would be head-and-shoulders above the original PC you have. A much better processor and more RAM goes a long way for that type of software.

I think the current issue of Maximum PC has a step-by-step building guide in it. It's fairly easy to do, you just have to take your time and be patient.

Down the road you could drop a budget video card in it and have a decent gaming rig.

If you don't want to build, a quick look around again found this for $350

Its probably about the best you can do for your price range if you have to have something right now.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Is this the best deal I'm gonna come across? How tech savy do I have to be do build this, can I screw up bad? Does it come with a warranty or anything like this? If I have to build a computer to get a great deal, I'll do it. But if I'm only getting a bit more than if I bought a $400 computer, I'd rather do that.[/QUOTE]

If you've done little upgrades like optical drives, more ram, adding/switching out harddrives then those things were a cinch to begin with.

The only maybe difficult part would have to be installing the motherboard and putting in the cpu which can be nerve racking but isn't much harder to do. For my first build last week or so I found the experience extremely enlightening. Now i'm in my computer everyday for some reason tidying that or doing this. I'm about to switch out the cpu heatsink + fan (to an aftermarket one) so I can learn to overclock.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']In a program like photoshop, that build would be head-and-shoulders above the original PC you have. A much better processor and more RAM goes a long way for that type of software.

I think the current issue of Maximum PC has a step-by-step building guide in it. It's fairly easy to do, you just have to take your time and be patient.

Down the road you could drop a budget video card in it and have a decent gaming rig.[/QUOTE]

As the man says. It's really all about patience while doing these things.

[quote name='Mid Boss']If you don't want to build, a quick look around again found this for $350

Its probably about the best you can do for your price range if you have to have something right now.[/QUOTE]

This might be a better choice to bypass all the hassles. Comes with a warrenty.
That isn't to say individual parts in a build don't have warranties either but any troubleshooting is up to you.
[quote name='Buuhan1']I've been told to stay away from Slimlines. Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

Meh, I wouldn't worry too much since you can just return it right? There's always going to be some sort of risk with computers. For example, I bought ram and one stick was totally was dead so I was unable to POST. Trying both sticks individually help me figure which was bad. I was able to use the other one to install windows while i waited for the replacements so i could return the kit.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I've been told to stay away from Slimlines. Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]
Any truth that you were told to stay away? ;) Only you can answer that.

What were the reasons you were given to stay away from them?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Any truth that you were told to stay away? ;) Only you can answer that.

What were the reasons you were given to stay away from them?[/QUOTE]

Cheap parts. That it wouldn't last very long. All I know is, I've been obsessively searching for a good computer deal for the past 2 months, and my stress level with it is at an all time high. I'm a bout to just say "screw it" and buy the Compaq linked in the first post. Don't think I'm gonna find anything better unless I spent another $100.

The only real issue with slimline systems is that the case can get warmer because there's not as much room for airflow. This isn't much of a problem if you just clean out the dust once in awhile.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Cheap parts. That it wouldn't last very long. All I know is, I've been obsessively searching for a good computer deal for the past 2 months, and my stress level with it is at an all time high. I'm a bout to just say "screw it" and buy the Compaq linked in the first post. Don't think I'm gonna find anything better unless I spent another $100.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? There have been a number of options presented to you here that are going to perform noticeably better than the Compaq you were looking at and none of them cost anywhere near $100 more. Honestly, with you're budget, you're looking at a system that's going to be using cheap parts no matter what you buy.

I'm just intimidated is all, and that frustrates me. It's my own fault for being uneducated towards computers, but that doesn't make it any easier. I think I more or less need someone to say "Get this, there are no other options." cause when I'm presented with options, I have a tug of war match in my head. So of the options listed here, which do you all agree is the best bet?

[quote name='Buuhan1']I'm just intimidated is all, and that frustrates me. It's my own fault for being uneducated towards computers, but that doesn't make it any easier. I think I more or less need someone to say "Get this, there are no other options." cause when I'm presented with options, I have a tug of war match in my head. So of the options listed here, which do you all agree is the best bet?[/QUOTE]

Get the HP because the compaq is the budget version of hp. Did I mention compaq is owned by HP?

I'm just worried about overheating. My old Dell overheated twice and it's one of those giant 30lb towers. The Compaq doesn't have a case fan, and the HP has everything clumped together. You guys have any suggestions on keeping it cool other than opening it up and dusting it every month?

[quote name='Buuhan1']I'm just worried about overheating. My old Dell overheated twice and it's one of those giant 30lb towers. The Compaq doesn't have a case fan, and the HP has everything clumped together. You guys have any suggestions on keeping it cool other than opening it up and dusting it every month?[/QUOTE]

Judging from the pics on newegg of the same slimline it seems fine to me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...194&cm_re=hp_slimiline-_-83-147-194-_-Product

If you really want just buy a high cfm aftermarket case fan and replace the fan already there (referring to the pics on newegg).
Also, I don't know if those are regular or low profile pci slots but if they're not you can jam a pci slot cooler such as this as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309

If you're too scared to switch out the fan, don't be. HP gives a step by step manual on it.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01949721.pdf

EDIT: I just realized, how are you going to read that pdf manual on a ps3? LOL.

[quote name='Unicorntard']I would suggest this model... but not from Amazon. Look at other websites... I've seen Staples have it for $300.

Compaq Presario CQ5320F

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presar...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1285946314&sr=1-2

Its has dual-core processor, 3GB of RAM, 500 GB hard drive, Windows7.[/QUOTE]

This was actually the computer I was going to get, but I can't. My local Staples says they only have a broken unit not for sale, and they won't be getting anymore in stock. When I try to order from their website it says it's not available to ship to my location.

I got the Newegg newsletter today. They have an E-Machines desktop for $349.99 with free shipping after using this code EMCZYYZ23. It has an AMD dual core processor at 2.8 GHZ , 4GB DDR3 RAM (which by itself would be about $90!), a media card reader, mouse, keyboard, 500 GB hard drive and Windows 7.

I highly suggest getting this desktop...its better than the Compaq desktop I recommended earlier. Its great for the price BUT :hot: I don't think you can make it into a gaming desktop because of the motherboard and the small, slim case.

Oops I forgot the link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-EMC-100110-Index-_-DesktopPCs-_-83114085-L0B

83-114-085-TS

[quote name='Buuhan1']But... It's E-Machine...[/QUOTE]
lol too picky. The other specs seem the same as the other budget machine proposed but the 4gb ram is the great point about this one.

[quote name='Buuhan1']But... It's E-Machine...[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Its fine. That's just the brand. E-machines doesn't make the motherboard, ram, CPU, hard drive, etc.

I give up, there's just no best way about being a cheapass when it comes to computers. That HP Slimline goes off sale tonight and goes back up to $440. I've decided instead of rushing to get a computer ASAP for the change I can squeeze out, it's best if I just put money back and save up for something actually worth a damn.

So, any great computers out there for $600-$800 that aren't a temporary sale? Should I wait for Black Friday?

[quote name='Buuhan1']I give up, there's just no best way about being a cheapass when it comes to computers. That HP Slimline goes off sale tonight and goes back up to $440. I've decided instead of rushing to get a computer ASAP for the change I can squeeze out, it's best if I just put money back and save up for something actually worth a damn.

So, any great computers out there for $600-$800 that aren't a temporary sale? Should I wait for Black Friday?[/QUOTE]

LOL Back to square one. If you can save up you would be able to build a good computer for that price range.

With $801 I was able to build this:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2 GHz
Asrock M3A785GMH/128M mATX
XFX ATi Radeon 5850 1gb
Corsair XMS3 2x2gb DDR3 ram
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD
LG Dvd burner
OCZ Modxstream Pro 700 watt PSU
NZXT Vulcan enthusiast mATX case.

You could really save more money by cutting a few corners off a build such as mine. For instance you could save $20 from going from the 955 to the 945. You wouldn't need the 955 since you wouldn't be overclocking (i assume - only difference here is 3 Ghz vs. 3.2 Ghz and unlocked multiplier for oc'ing). Also, you could settle for a 5770 ($160 instead of a 5850=$270) which would still allow you to game on your computer (todays 5770 = last generations ati 48xx high end card). I bought that powersupply since I knew I would be upgrading in the future and adding more components but if you were to take into account some of my earlier suggestions, you could suffice with a good/cheaper lower wattage psu (such as the ocz modxstream pro 500w or 600w which you again net you $10-20 in savings.) Last but not least, I spent some more money on the case since I really liked the look and size (all black and mATX vs mid or full tower sized ATX). There are cases in the $50 range that could have done just fine (my case cost $70).

Anyway, I would really give building serious thought if you want something more future proof. It will help educate yourself on computer maintenance and so on just as it had help me. You've got the whole internet at your disposal so start reading up! You can always ask for help here. I also recommend OCN (overclock.net). I can't emphasize research enough.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I give up, there's just no best way about being a cheapass when it comes to computers. That HP Slimline goes off sale tonight and goes back up to $440. I've decided instead of rushing to get a computer ASAP for the change I can squeeze out, it's best if I just put money back and save up for something actually worth a damn.

So, any great computers out there for $600-$800 that aren't a temporary sale? Should I wait for Black Friday?[/QUOTE]

The best time to get deals on high quality parts is during the back to school sale season. Using the discounts/coupons provided by the manufacturers + discounts/coupons provided by retail chain stores like 'Best Buy', 'Staples' and others like it + using a reward program through your bank and/or membership club program of the stores in your area - You can save so much money it will make you puke rainbows.

Now if you really want to go hardcore in saving money - read your local paper about business that are closing or going out of business. Tech stores going out of business are great places to get parts for next to NOTHING.

You should also look in your area for computer shows and pick up some of the deals there too.

Call me lazy, but I'd rather not go through that amount of effort, and as I said I really rather not build a computer. I want to buy a computer, either from a store by me (Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, etc...) or through Amazon or Newegg. I realize "nothing ventured, nothing gained", but I really don't want to go deal hunting away from the above listed sources.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Call me lazy, but I'd rather not go through that amount of effort, and as I said I really rather not build a computer. I want to buy a computer, either from a store by me (Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, etc...) or through Amazon or Newegg. I realize "nothing ventured, nothing gained", but I really don't want to go deal hunting away from the above listed sources.[/QUOTE]

Then do it.

The end.

The whole point of this thread was to try and get people to help me hunt down good deals online as I'm not fluent in what's good and what isn't. I don't want you to think I'm unappreciative of your help, it's just not what I'm looking to do.

[quote name='Buuhan1']The whole point of this thread was to try and get people to help me hunt down good deals online as I'm not fluent in what's good and what isn't. I don't want you to think I'm unappreciative of your help, it's just not what I'm looking to do.[/QUOTE]

Piece of advice:
Watch Slickdeals for deals such as this when the time comes. You might be able to snag a similar machine.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2275383

Not much you would need to upgrade in the future if you ask me other than the video card which is, as I said before, a cinch.

EDIT: Was just reading that thread and someone else posted something similar. Pretty good since it comes with the LCD though I'd probably go for the one from microcenter if you already have an LCD you can use.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11534364

bread's done
Back