CAGcast #215: Opposing Forzzzz

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Enslaved, Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, Dead Rising 2 and a whole lot of Zs invade this week's show. We've also got the latest game shopping and industry news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]124[/podcast]
Download - 82 minutes, 49MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Kotaku's old review format more than this new one.

If there's no score that I can scroll to the bottom and look at, at least give me bullet points I can scroll to the bottom and read.

I agree with your opinion on Kotaku's review change. I read the Enslaved one, it didn't really say anything

Great Show! zzzzzzzzz hope you fix it, lol ;) oh mannnnnnnnnnzzzzzzz
and yeah i dislike the new kotaku reviews also, i can't tell if it's a good game as quickly by just telling if there are more green paragraphs then red... i dont like to read without colors...

Great show!

I would have to disagree with Wombat, on the MOH changing the name. Multiplayer is what FPS games are about! I get FPS games for the multiplayer and I rarely touch the singleplayer. I may play the singleplayer here and there, but for the majority I stick with the multiplayer (on FPS games). Changing the name gives this game a unrealistic feel w/ multiplayer. I think EA should of held there ground and not change it.

Haha Shippy, loved the Kotaku criticism for their recent reviews. Annoyed Shipwreck ftw.

Cheapy: "Oh no, more Z's!" LoL

Maybe I'm misinterpreting Ship's opinion, but I'm not sure why the Kotaku review of NBA 2K11 is so terrible. Granted, it's not the most original review of a game, but I don't see anything wrong with saying a sports game is only for those who like the sport. Look at the other 2 basketball games out now. I know people who don't really care for basketball, but loved playing NBA Jam, and judging from what was mentioned on the show, it looks like NBA Elite is bad enough that it wouldn't be appealing to fans of the sport. Am I missing something?

I love the idea of Haiku reviews! DO IT!!

Dead Rising 2:
Made a lightsword
A thousand zombie deaths
That effing timer

[quote name='Dr Killotron']I love the idea of Haiku reviews! DO IT!!

Dead Rising 2:
Made a lightsword
A thousand zombie deaths
That effing timer[/QUOTE]

Syllable fail

definetly one of the less annoying shows (last few shows have been loaded with whining from wombat and cheapyd) and its good to see shipwrecks personality program finaly kicking in hes been more human of late which is good and he still manages to bring the hard facts and info. and i was even more surprised that he knew there was a difference between rap and hip hop since most folks just lump it into one group. big ups to ohio gingers representing!!!!!

I laughed my ass off with this cagcast's Iron Eagle intro and take out. I probably watched that film at one point in my life but don't remember a thing about it. I'm still chuckling and going to have to now figure out a way to watch it. Bravo Cheapy Bravo.

Ehhhh you might want to rethink your criticism of Kotaku's new review style. Give a listen to the Spider-man review on the previous Cagcast. "If you like Spider-man and you like videogames, it combines those two very well." Sounds just like the Kotaku format...

Do I really have to be the one who has to say this?

Big AZZZZZZZZZZZZ CHAINZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Cheapy, I just love the way you say that phrase..please do it every show, it's the combination of your voice plus emphasis on the endings of the words...IT'S GREAT! DO IT EVERY SHOW, PLEASE! I'll pay 2 cents...

Pretty good show. I liked the Medal of Honor discussion... except for Wombat. It kind of seems like he disagrees a lot just for the sake of being different. I know you need opposing views (or forces) in order to have a decent discussion, but it doesn't work when one side is always bringing up bullshit arguments, and pulling false facts out of the air.
Also, why does Wombat have to always jump at the chance to insult Cheapy by calling him racist? Is he aware that some people might actually take him seriously? It's obvious that this annoys Cheapy, yet he does it anyway, because he thinks it's funny when it's not.
Anyway, great job Shipwreck, mediocre job Cheapy, and annoying job Wombat.

[quote name='yobak3r']Pretty good show. I liked the Medal of Honor discussion... except for Wombat. It kind of seems like he disagrees a lot just for the sake of being different. I know you need opposing views (or forces) in order to have a decent discussion, but it doesn't work when one side is always bringing up bullshit arguments, and pulling false facts out of the air.
Also, why does Wombat have to always jump at the chance to insult Cheapy by calling him racist? Is he aware that some people might actually take him seriously? It's obvious that this annoys Cheapy, yet he does it anyway, because he thinks it's funny when it's not.
Anyway, great job Shipwreck, mediocre job Cheapy, and annoying job Wombat.[/QUOTE]

Wombat's take on Medal of Honor was spot-on. EA changed the name to distance themselves from the controversy and to appease the nay-sayers. Also, the "racist" quip stems from a past controversy from an old podcast.

Lighten up, Francis.

Guys, I'm surprised that all three of you went with Castlevania over Enslaved without much thought. To me, it seems that the Castlevania brand might not be as strong as it used to be, ESPECIALLY a 3D version.

You need to think more broadly on your reviews. Three word bullets are one verb too many. NOUN ADJECTIVE only! "Graphic Good", "Sound Bad" and for the volleyball games, "Titties Big". And your scale needs to be from 1 to Pi. Tell Metacritic to suck it!

[quote name='MIGGO']Wombat's take on Medal of Honor was spot-on. EA changed the name to distance themselves from the controversy and to appease the nay-sayers. Also, the "racist" quip stems from a past controversy from an old podcast.

Lighten up, Francis.

Guys, I'm surprised that all three of you went with Castlevania over Enslaved without much thought. To me, it seems that the Castlevania brand might not be as strong as it used to be, ESPECIALLY a 3D version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know about the "controversy" (when Cheapy asked if the woman who asked Wombat for food was black, right?). But that was a very long time ago. And a lot of listeners probably don't know about that. Calling somebody racist isn't even funny anyway. The "joke" needs to die.

And regarding the Medal of Honor thing: Changing it to Opposing Forces isn't going to make the mother of a dead soldier feel any better. That's ridiculous. They either should have called it something else from the beginning, or stuck to their guns. Now instead of just looking offensive, they look offensive, and like pussies. Great job, guys.
And Enslaved has no chance of beating Castlevania.

I have a Playstation Move set up (2 Motion Controllers and One Nav Controller) and I have plenty of space. That may also be because I have a general distaste for coffee tables and I have my TV set up in my basement.

So far, the Move is much better than I expected. I also purchased the Kinect from that $99 Microsoft Stole Labor Day sale thing. I don't know if I'm going to like it, but Dance Central looks likes a ton of fun.

Wait a minute...I still don't get this. If I like basketball...then I will like 2k 11? But...if I don't like basketball...then...this is just too hard.

I like how you guys put a recommended buy price on your reviews. All your joking aside, I think adding a # out of 100 score isn't a bad idea

zzzzzzzz66zz

Anyone remember the Red Alert 2 controversy? Soviets blowing up the Pentagon and taking over the World Trade Center, not to mention the box art had the Twin Towers under attack.

So being a Nazi in every WW2 game is ok, and choosing the Terrorist team in Counter Strike to set us up the bomb is ok, but taliban is offensive? Ridiculous

[quote name='yobak3r']Yeah, I know about the "controversy" (when Cheapy asked if the woman who asked Wombat for food was black, right?). But that was a very long time ago. And a lot of listeners probably don't know about that. Calling somebody racist isn't even funny anyway. The "joke" needs to die.

And regarding the Medal of Honor thing: Changing it to Opposing Forces isn't going to make the mother of a dead soldier feel any better. That's ridiculous. They either should have called it something else from the beginning, or stuck to their guns. Now instead of just looking offensive, they look offensive, and like pussies. Great job, guys.
And Enslaved has no chance of beating Castlevania.[/QUOTE]

Comedy is subjective. Who are you to deem what is or isn't funny? I took the comment as someone busting another friend's balls by bringing up an incident from the past. For what it is worth, I laughed.

It's all a business move when it comes to the name change. It's nothing about making a mother feel better or respecting the troops, it's about keeping retailers happy. Gamestop stores on military bases already claimed that they wouldn't sell the game, all it would take is for ONE major retail store to jump onto that bandwagon before others would most likely follow suit. Controversy creates cash, but only if stores are willing to sell it. Change the name, fight the criticism, and pray that it'll be enough to appease the non-believers.

Another note, I like the idea of EA sitting around and making their every decision based solely on keeping from "looking like pussies" and not "how can I make a shit-ton of cash?".

I like the current review system on here. And that 3 word bullet point system sounds absolutely awful. It sounds so incredibly lazy and half-assed that I don't think I could take a review serious with it in place.

The idea of a 100 point scale being added is pretty good, but I still think I'm in favor of keeping the current review system the way it is.

I also fell asleep after about 19 minutes, so I'll have to finish listening later.

Great episode, duders.

Regarding Medal of Honor, I was extremely disappointed in EA's decision to change the name. It doesn't really affect me personally since I won't be buying the game, and I realize that the literal results from the change are fairly trivial, but the overall idea bothers me and I don't like what it possibly means for games in the future. I just think censorship in any form of entertainment is a bad thing.

I find it even more troubling when it's something involving war and the families of soldiers and veterans. Hasn't our military always claimed that they're fighting for America's freedom? Seems to me that freedom of speech and the freedom to express oneself is pretty central to that idea. Complaining about stuff like this undermines the very principles that our armed forces apparently defend. I could maybe (and I mean maybe) sympathize if the game was meant to be some cheap parody or was presenting the conflict in a comical way. But it isn't. All the info about this game thus far has stressed that they're going for a high level of authenticity and that the content in the game is being presented in an honest and mature way.

A large amount of society's most important entertainment from the past (I want to say art, but I'd rather avoid that potential can of worms) was offensive in some way to certain groups of people. It happens, but it goes back to the whole "freedom" thing that we're so fond of. To me that includes being able to say and create what you want.

[quote name='MIGGO']It's all a business move when it comes to the name change. It's nothing about making a mother feel better or respecting the troops, it's about keeping retailers happy. Gamestop stores on military bases already claimed that they wouldn't sell the game, all it would take is for ONE major retail store to jump onto that bandwagon before others would most likely follow suit. Controversy creates cash, but only if stores are willing to sell it. Change the name, fight the criticism, and pray that it'll be enough to appease the non-believers.[/QUOTE]
Their situation with retailers has not changed in any way. Even with the name change military GameStops are sticking with their decision to not carry the game. EA didn't help anything at all. All they did was show that they lack a backbone.

I beat you to the Haiku review format Cheapy. My site theHaikuCritic.com even features MetaCritic friendly scores.

I was able to bang out a lot of reviews at once, then not a whole lot after the first batch. I'm easily distracted and lazy.

we need a game about killing jews. I mean really ..fuck these assholes. we're all adults. KILL THEM! its just a video game.

Yay, more silly jabs at Kotaku. I don't listen to the Kotaku pocast, do they pay as much attention to CAG as we do to them? Otherwise, strong show.

60/5=1400!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious you guys are the funniest games podcast out there, well tied with gamescoop.

I am never going to buy a gaming computer so if KOTOR is available on the Jungle and it is not too expensive(I am a true CAG) they will be welcoming me to the............Jungle

[quote name='McBeesj']60/5=1400!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious you guys are the funniest games podcast out there, well tied with gamescoop.

I am never going to buy a gaming computer so if KOTOR is available on the Jungle and it is not too expensive(I am a true CAG) they will be welcoming me to the............Jungle[/QUOTE]

Havent listened to Giantbomb yet have you? :)

[quote name='StriderNo9']Havent listened to Giantbomb yet have you? :)[/QUOTE]

It is being downloaded on to my itunes now, thanks for the suggestion, I forgot to mention Totally Rad Show also but it is not solely video games

RE: Enslaved "I played the demo, and I liked it, but I felt I needed to shoot things"

I hate to say it Cheapy, but you are what is wrong with the games industry.

Sorry Wombat but Red Octane isn't making the RB3 keyboard. RO did the Guitar Hero peripherals before getting dissolved by Activision.

In keeping with the shows theme, it was Mad CatZZZ.

Glad to hear you liked RB3, I am stoked for it.

The majority of Americans are pretty detached from the war in Afghanistan except for what they might get a glimpse of while changing channels. I'm not in the military but I think by changing "Taliban" to "Opposing Force" it does a discredit to our troops. We're not fighting faceless enemies and using euphemisms diminishes the gravity of what's going on each day in Afghanistan. If Medal of Honor wants to be the real deal, why would they change the name of one of the major factions in the game?!

bread's done
Back