HDMI to VGA -- possible with this monitor?

labelmeoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Can I hook up my Xbox 360 to this monitor --> HP S2031a 20" widescreen monitor? It currently does not have any HDMI ports.. but would I be able to buy an HDMI to VGA/DVI converter and it work?

Here's the product website. I figured I'd find someone who could fill me in on this dilemma as I'm not very tech savvy:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=WR733AA%23ABA

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Wouldn't I need the VGA HD cables if I wanted it to be in 720p/1080i? From searching through the internet a bit.. those can be $15+ used, $30-$40 new.

There is only one type of VGA cable for the Xbox 360. You would pick the max res your monitor would support. Off the top of my head, the max I was getting was 1280x1024 or so.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Ya a DVI adapter would work fine. A VGA adapter would work as well but since VGA is analog and HDMI is digital you would need a converter box to convert the analog singal to digital. DVI-D is digital so you would just need a HDMI>DVI adapter for it to work. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287023316&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Would that work just as well as the VGA HD cable?

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Would that work just as well as the VGA HD cable?[/QUOTE]

it would actually work better and look a lot better.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Would that work just as well as the VGA HD cable?[/QUOTE]
Yes. It would be better actually since DVI/HDMI is digital and VGA is just analog. The only thing you have to worry about is sound since HDMI/dvi is sound and video in one cable and if the monitor doesn't have built in speakers you will probably need to get another cable for audio.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Yes. It would be better actually since DVI/HDMI is digital and VGA is just analog. The only thing you have to worry about is sound since HDMI/dvi is sound and video in one cable and if the monitor doesn't have built in speakers you will probably need to get another cable for audio.[/QUOTE]

How can you say it's any better in his case?

He's taking a VGA ONLY monitor and hooking it up to an Xbox 360. Any type of converter you put there isn't going to magically make his monitor output a better picture than it already can... He's not going to gain anything by doing this conversion.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How can you say it's any better in his case?

He's taking a VGA ONLY monitor and hooking it up to an Xbox 360. Any type of converter you put there isn't going to magically make his monitor output a better picture than it already can... He's not going to gain anything by doing this conversion.[/QUOTE]
The spec page clearly says that it has VGA and DVI-D?

bread's done
Back