Telltale Games sale: Sam & Max and Strong Bad $10/ea (or $5, maybe glitched)

Dixie Flatline

CAGiversary!
Telltale Games has a sale on the Sam & Max games and Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, apparently as a promo for Poker Night at the Inventory:

Meet the Players Sale

It's supposed to be $10 for each S&M season and $10 for Strong Bad, or $30 for the whole set (3 S&M seasons + SB). Looks like they just applied a $25 discount to every season of Sam & Max, though, so the first two seasons are actually $5 and the third season is $10. Don't know when they'll fix it, so if you need to fill out your Sam & Max collection, better move fast.

Once you buy a season, you're also eligible for the free end-of-season DVD (have to pay S&H, though). I just bought Seasons 1 and 3 for $15 total and ordered the DVDs as well, so the $5 price is working for the moment.

EDIT: Looks like they've fixed the discounts on Seasons 1 & 2, so they really are $10 each now. Still an excellent deal, especially the $20 for the S&M Complete Collection (usually $40).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is doing something a little bit more odd. but the results are basically the same.
3rd season is 8.02 and 2nd is 6.88. Need both so oh well, going to try my 20% off coupon and see if it stacks. Will edit in a bit!

edit: 20% coupon for Talk like a pirate day purchase does not stack! Awesome deal either way.

[quote name='reininop']Mine is doing something a little bit more odd. but the results are basically the same.
3rd season is 8.02 and 2nd is 6.88. Need both so oh well, going to try my 20% off coupon and see if it stacks. Will edit in a bit!

edit: 20% coupon for Talk like a pirate day purchase does not stack! Awesome deal either way.[/QUOTE]

It works on the $30 pack with all 4 games but otherwise it doesn't because they have discounts applied already.

edit: Ended up getting the first two seasons of Sam & Max for $4.95 each along with the DVD for Monkey Island. I was tempted to get all 4 games for $24 (after 20% off coupon) but I already have Strong Bad on disc and I can wait for the 3rd season of Sam & Max to be $5.

Got Strong Bad for a penny awhile back when BB was clearing them out.

Ten bucks a season for Sam & Max is pretty good. Hope Steam matches their price. Still a great buy either way.

Thanks, picked up season 3 of Sam & Max with the DVD, as well as the season 2 DVD which I was able to get from the Great Adventure pack I bought - they sent an e-mail on the 8th with a code to use for it - code stacked. $14.91 total.

[quote name='mitch079']Thanks, picked up season 3 of Sam & Max with the DVD, as well as the season 2 DVD which I was able to get from the Great Adventure pack I bought - they sent an e-mail on the 8th with a code to use for it - code stacked. $14.91 total.[/QUOTE]

was there no shipping? That was what mine cost for just the downloads.

[quote name='reininop']was there no shipping? That was what mine cost for just the downloads.[/QUOTE]

Shipping was 4.96.

Hmm I can get them all for $24 w/ the coupon for talk like a pirate day. Have these been cheaper on Steam during the holiday sales or has it been pretty comparable in price?

[quote name='Gorge']Hmm I can get them all for $24 w/ the coupon for talk like a pirate day. Have these been cheaper on Steam during the holiday sales or has it been pretty comparable in price?[/QUOTE]

It hasn't been anywhere near this price for all 3 seasons. The last episode of the third season just came out a little while ago. As said, I didn't add them individually to my cart, but I got season 2 and 3 (downloads) for 14.90. Also, it's been a long time since they put season 2 on sale.

I think Steam had the third season on sale for $10 dollars once, but I'm not positive about that. As far as getting them all, I've never seen it cheaper. Especially since you can just buy the Sam and Max seasons for 19.99 during the sale as well without Strong Bad.

[quote name='reininop']It hasn't been anywhere near this price for all 3 seasons. The last episode of the third season just came out a little while ago. As said, I didn't add them individually to my cart, but I got season 2 and 3 (downloads) for 14.90. Also, it's been a long time since they put season 2 on sale.

I think Steam had the third season on sale for $10 dollars once, but I'm not positive about that. As far as getting them all, I've never seen it cheaper. Especially since you can just buy the Sam and Max seasons for 19.99 during the sale as well without Strong Bad.[/QUOTE]

S1 and S2 do show up as 4.95 if you put them in the cart individually. I think the weirdness that you saw with $8.02 and $6.88 comes from the website trying to apply the discount to the two items proportional to the original prices, but as you noted, the total comes out right regardless.

I've been watching Steam for this stuff for a month or two now, but haven't seen any prices close to this. It's possible that Steam might match this sometime later -- I see that they've got TOMI on sale for $5 right now, which looks like a belated match of the Talk Like A Pirate Day deal. Still, if you buy direct from Telltale, they get more profit and you're eligible for the DVD if you want it. Steam purchases don't get the free+S&H deal for the season DVDs.

I wonder how many people got S2 with the Great Adventure Bundle and are going to pick up S1 and S3 now -- I'm certainly one of them.

how does the upgrading to DVDs work? Do you place an order for the downloads, then later place a 2nd order for the dvds, but just pay shipping?

[quote name='kidrocklive']how does the upgrading to DVDs work? Do you place an order for the downloads, then later place a 2nd order for the dvds, but just pay shipping?[/QUOTE]

You can either purchase the downloads or the dvd version right now for the sale price + shipping. If you buy the downloads, you can order the dvd at anytime for whatever your shipping rate happens to be (might be fixed, I don't know).

I had to order the download versions of S1, S2. Then go back and order the dvd.
Extra step, but it worked. S3 showed as $10 so I'll wait for it to drop.

[quote name='kidrocklive']how does the upgrading to DVDs work? Do you place an order for the downloads, then later place a 2nd order for the dvds, but just pay shipping?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='reininop']You can either purchase the downloads or the dvd version right now for the sale price + shipping. If you buy the downloads, you can order the dvd at anytime for whatever your shipping rate happens to be (might be fixed, I don't know).[/QUOTE]

That's the way to do it. Place your order for the digital versions of whatever seasons you want and then at any point after that you can place an order for the DVD versions for free plus the cost of shipping.

If you buy multiple seasons, you can order all the DVD versions at once and save a ton on shipping. I checked this out myself and shipping for one DVD was about $5 while adding a DVD for a different season only added about $1 more to the total cost of shipping.

Looks like it's fixed... it was $4.95 when I added to cart, but $9.95 at checkout.
Adding back to cart at the $9.95 price now.

bread's done
Back