Vanquish Discussion Thread

I saw the trailer, it looks pretty tight... Is Hilary Clinton in it or something? Is she the president :lol:? I'm only getting it because of the K-mart deal. $60 for Vanquish and get $20 gaming coupon back. Also, by buying Vanquish, you can get some titles for $30 (like C:LoS, Enslaved, DR2 etc.). Planning to get Enslaved for $30 along with Vanquish and saving the $20 toward Black Ops :)

Yeah, I went with GameStop. The only reason being is you get some extra weapons or something. I guess I should have gotten it via K-mart, but oh well, what's done is done. I also got that Sony Credit Card and used that Points Plus thing to try to get the 5x bonus points for shopping through their website.

I think the story is going to be really bad and cheesy, but I don't care, the game looks really good, and the demo was great. I've been starving for a sci-fi shooter, so this will definitely hit the spot.

i dowloaded both demos off the jap psn and loved it. the game has a very anime look to it and if its got mp as well im sold. still waiting for a review though just to make sure.

Can't believe this game is flying under the radar. The marketing is terrible. I can't wait for it either, but won't pay $60 if it's only single player.

The demo was awesome, I personally went through the tutorial first, unlike a bunch of other people who have posted their impressions and found the depth of the game great. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to jump freely, that would have made it golden.

Absolutely cannot wait for this, I would have bought it based on the Bayonetta/PlatinumGames association (my GOTY) alone, but the Vanquish demo was an absolute blast to play! :D

I got a call from GameStop for the game, they want everyone to come to GS at 10 PM on Monday night and they'll sell you the game shortly after midnight LOL

Do they do this with every game? I need to re-listen to the message and see if they're giving away anything for free... If so, I might just go.

Anyone ever been to one of these?

I'm not sure if they do it for every game...other games I've got recently in the text message say "Tues AM".
I've been to the Halo 3/Reach midnight releases, but nothing was given away or anything that I recall. I figured midnight releases were for only really HUGE releases. :p

IGN gave it a better review apparently. If you're going by reviews, then I'm sure most games this season are going to be a rental as that's what the trend seems to be.

Can someone kindly post the trophies for this game? Thanks in advance! Sorry, game sites are blocked and I would love to see the trophy list before I play the game tonight.

Do any of you have the PS3 version? Can you tell me if the save file is locked to the system? All you have to do is go to the save file, press triangle, and then hit copy. It will tell you then if it can't be copied.

Thanks!

Just picked up my copy today, and I'm so tempted to play it, but I need to finish Castlevania, or I'll never finish it.

Can someone find out for sure how long the game is?

[quote name='jh6269']Can someone find out for sure how long the game is?[/QUOTE]
finsihed.bmp

Mission Time 3:42:03

The IGN review said it was about 6-7 hours, FWIW there's also a challenge mode where you clear out waves of enemies.

The demo really was great, I'm really looking forward to this game this evening. I am pretty dissapointed by what I've seen of the plot/characters though... that live action teaser they gave us made me think it was going to be a bit more western but as someone said the whole thing has a real anime vibe to it

[quote name='Jodou']Mission Time 3:42:03[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Well, I take forever, so that's probably 10 hours for me :lol:
I hope there is some DLC or something.

EDIT:

Well, Ars Technica said it was more like a 6 or 7 hour game.
JoyStiq gave it a 4.5/5, so I think it's going to be a great 7 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, WOW, this game is freaking awesome! It's like MGS, Uncharted and Sonic combined or something like that :lol:

Not a bad game at all, pretty fluid control, love the weapons and setting. The chick is cute too :)

I didn't bother with the demo... The K-mart deal is too good to pass. And it turned out that this game is better than I expected.

Cool, I'm working on Castlevania, almost done. Finally figured out how to do the block and counter move LOL

Vanquish is next!

I think I might start this tonight. Got it sitting here from Kmart. I would have never considered it without that deal (unitl it got dirt cheap that is).

Don't play on NORMAL if you're gunning for trophies.... Not worth it... Either CASUAL or HARD (CASUAL AUTO? I think that's easier than CASUAL, right?).

I haven't try HARD, but NORMAL is okay. Well, knowing that there's no reward for NORMAL, I'm switching to CASUAL AUTO :lol:

After get the hand of the maps and control, I probably going to try HARD (I have a feeling it's not going to be smooth).

Well, you can unlock those "kill this, do that" trophies with any modes... But there are no chapter completion trophies for NORMAL.

If you beat on HARD, the trophies might stack (not all games stack, like Bayonetta). But playing NORMAL will only lock the same trophies as you play on CASUAL or CASUAL AUTO. There are no NORMAL chapter trophies (unlike most other games where rewards are given out on EASY, NORMAL and HARD).

[quote name='Serpentor']Don't play on NORMAL if you're gunning for trophies.... Not worth it... Either CASUAL or HARD (CASUAL AUTO? I think that's easier than CASUAL, right?).

I haven't try HARD, but NORMAL is okay. Well, knowing that there's no reward for NORMAL, I'm switching to CASUAL AUTO :lol:

After get the hand of the maps and control, I probably going to try HARD (I have a feeling it's not going to be smooth).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I found this out last night only after playing for 3 1/2 hours on Normal... Oh well... There's also a trophy for not dying. I assume you can restart the mission if you die and this will still unlock? In Normal, though, I've died several times before figuring out the right strategy so I won't get that this playthough. I guess it means I'll have to play 3 times if I want all the trophies (Casual for not dying, Hard for the hard-only ones).

On the other hand, I definitely don't agree with the reviews that say it is only a 3-4 hour game. Like I said I played 3 1/2 hours last night. I am only halfway through Act 2 (of 4).

Maybe because they think there are only four acts or something... but yeah, it's not that short. Regardless you're renting, borrowing or buying, this game rocks, you got to play it.

As for MP mode, i think it would be pretty darn good if it was included.

Ok, this game is freaking awesome! The graphics are kick-butt, the action and everything is super great. I am so happy I got this day 1 :bouncy:

I started the game on Hard mode, and holy crap it is HARD. That Argus Core robot took me freaking forever. To play this game in 4 hours, you either have to have played it on Casual Easy, or you are a 12 year old who only plays shooters. I finally got lucky and didn't die long enough to use the turret twice to kill it. I also got that huge laser gun with unlimited ammo, that thing freaking rocks. It's almost like that electricity gun in Killzone 3.

This game definitely lived up to the hype in my book. SEGA is definitely on a roll.

[quote name='jh6269'] I also got that huge laser gun with unlimited ammo, that thing freaking rocks. It's almost like that electricity gun in Killzone 3..[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? I got the trophy for scanning all the guns and never saw this. I'm done with Act 3 now, too.

[quote name='wrencrest']There are trophies for completing each act and completing each act on HARD. And thats it. Not a plug, but I like this site to check out trophies and such. This site is based in the UK, but there is another that is .com, but I dont like it as much.
http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/vanquish/trophies/[/QUOTE]

It's a really great site for Trophy information, tracking and advice.

[quote name='io']Wait, what? I got the trophy for scanning all the guns and never saw this. I'm done with Act 3 now, too.[/QUOTE]

It looks like it's from that GameStop tri-weapon's pack that I got for preordering. It was in a weapons crate in the scene just before I got to the Argus Core.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/24/vanquishs-pre-order-tri-weapon-pack-highlighted-in-new-trailer/

It's pretty freaking good.

What do you mean by scanning every weapon? Do you mean by picking up every weapon or is there some special thing I need to do?

[quote name='jh6269']It looks like it's from that GameStop tri-weapon's pack that I got for preordering. It was in a weapons crate in the scene just before I got to the Argus Core.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/24/vanquishs-pre-order-tri-weapon-pack-highlighted-in-new-trailer/

It's pretty freaking good.

What do you mean by scanning every weapon? Do you mean by picking up every weapon or is there some special thing I need to do?[/QUOTE]

Well, crap, for once a preorder bonus is actually useful, eh? There have been plenty of times when I've been out of ammo or not with the right kind of weapon and could have used that.

And no, nothing special - I got the trophy like half way through Act 2 (and it turns out there are 5). The trophy just says something about "scanning". I think you have an "omni-weapon" that adapts to anything it finds and copies it or something - thus when you pick one up I guess you are "scanning".

[quote name='io']Well, crap, for once a preorder bonus is actually useful, eh? There have been plenty of times when I've been out of ammo or not with the right kind of weapon and could have used that.

And no, nothing special - I got the trophy like half way through Act 2 (and it turns out there are 5). The trophy just says something about "scanning". I think you have an "omni-weapon" that adapts to anything it finds and copies it or something - thus when you pick one up I guess you are "scanning".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and that's pretty crappy that it's not in the regular game at all, only a download from a GameStop code. It is pretty damned good though, I can take out the Argus Core Phase 1 robot in 3 hits on hard mode (it helped a lot because I died like 40 times fighting the phase 2 form).

It's a huge laser beam that sends out a huge burst for like 10-20 seconds, then needs to cool down. Pretty sweet.

Ok, I'm just now at Act 3, did 1 or 2 missions already. I'm still playing my 1st play-through on HARD and I'm clocking 7:45:30 so far (mainly because I suck at shooters). But I am really loving this game, but some of these enemies are really tough (especially those Romanov's and the 2 legged form of the Argus Core robot). They both have this huge laser that just devastates you, and I haven' t really found the trick to taking them out fast. If anyone is on the fence, you should definitely play this game (buy or rent).

Anyone else taking forever as well?

I havent been able to play this yet, but are the graphics as good as they look? It seems like they have some cool enemy boss designs and the graphics and effects are pretty cool.

[quote name='wrencrest']I havent been able to play this yet, but are the graphics as good as they look?[/QUOTE]

I think the graphics are really awesome; the textures and everything look pretty great. The framerate has never dipped for me; it's constant. The only issue I've seen is some pop-in of parts of the environment (the occasional tree, trashcan, or other small environmental item). Platinum Games definitely did a great job on this one.

Laughed out loud at a scene in the middle of the game (not a spoiler- but some might think it is):
During a big fight scene where everything is going crazy on the ground and in the air I was running and just ahead of me, a door opened to the left. 5 of 6 different Romanovs (of different type) activated and started to approach me. I was freaking out- because fighting 2 at a time is a terrible pain, and there were at least 5 of them. I switched weapons and grenades, made note of my available cover and approached them, but just before we were in range to fight, a ship fell from the sky and destroyed all of them!

It caught me off guard to have something like that scripted into the scene when the game has a pretty serious tone for the most part.

[quote name='nbballard']Laughed out loud at a scene in the middle of the game (not a spoiler- but some might think it is):
During a big fight scene where everything is going crazy on the ground and in the air I was running and just ahead of me, a door opened to the left. 5 of 6 different Romanovs (of different type) activated and started to approach me. I was freaking out- because fighting 2 at a time is a terrible pain, and there were at least 5 of them. I switched weapons and grenades, made note of my available cover and approached them, but just before we were in range to fight, a ship fell from the sky and destroyed all of them!

It caught me off guard to have something like that scripted into the scene when the game has a pretty serious tone for the most part.
[/QUOTE]

Haha, I don't know if I got to that part yet, but I thought you were going to say the part in Act 2,
where you're going through a series of corridors by yourself (I forget the exact mission). I think it's the part where your squad goes down in that skiff. Each corridor has only 2 doors, and you walk into one room, and the door closes, then the other one opens, and Elena yells "It's a trap!" Then Sam says, something like "thanks a lot admiral."
I didn't realize it was the Star Wars reference until a few seconds later.

[quote name='jh6269']Haha, I don't know if I got to that part yet, but I thought you were going to say the part in Act 2,
where you're going through a series of corridors by yourself (I forget the exact mission). I think it's the part where your squad goes down in that skiff. Each corridor has only 2 doors, and you walk into one room, and the door closes, then the other one opens, and Elena yells "It's a trap!" Then Sam says, something like "thanks a lot admiral."
I didn't realize it was the Star Wars reference until a few seconds later.[/QUOTE]
Lol- i totally missed that.

I also liked...
When Burns told his team to shoot if they "saw anything so much as a roomba".

I got into Act 4 last night, and got to the part where
you fight yet another Argus Core, but you're in that warehouse, and it's so close quartered, you can barely do anything. Holy crap is that hard w/o a special tactic I figured out. I died so many times, and I finally beat the 2nd phase of the Argus Core, and the thing blew up and I died, then I had to do it all over again :bomb:
I found the trick is to go grab the rocket launcher. It only takes 3 or so shots to kill the 2nd phase of the Argus Core.

Well, I played through the entire game on Normal up until the very last mission (5-3 I think?). I just couldn't get anywhere on that one. It is an order of magnitude harder than anything else in the game.

So I decided to play it on Casual instead. But WTF!? It reset all my weapons (all upgrades lost) and when it completed, even though I got the credits and all, I did not get the trophy for finishing Act 5 or all the Acts. So, clearly, those things need to be done on a "new game" and not in mission select. Keep that in mind - also if you are after any of the weapon/attack trophies, remember you lose all upgrades when doing mission select.

So I restarted it on Casual from the beginning and got through most of the game in just a couple of hours (partly due to it being so much easier and partly due to knowing how to get through it all). I'm out of town now so I can't finish it till next week, but I know the final fight is much easier on Casual. I'm also going for the not dying trophy and also trying to get all the Pangloss statues. However, after my first playthrough I got about 30 of them - in my second I only found like 10 more so I thought well, there must be only 50 or so. WRONG! I checked ps3trophies.org and there are OVER 100! WTF!? The vast majority of them must be extremely well hidden. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with that one as I probably won't be able to do hard mode or the challenges either. There's no point wasting time on collection crap if I can't get a platinum.

[quote name='io']Well, I played through the entire game on Normal up until the very last mission (5-3 I think?). I just couldn't get anywhere on that one. It is an order of magnitude harder than anything else in the game.

So I decided to play it on Casual instead. But WTF!? It reset all my weapons (all upgrades lost) and when it completed, even though I got the credits and all, I did not get the trophy for finishing Act 5 or all the Acts. So, clearly, those things need to be done on a "new game" and not in mission select. Keep that in mind - also if you are after any of the weapon/attack trophies, remember you lose all upgrades when doing mission select.

So I restarted it on Casual from the beginning and got through most of the game in just a couple of hours (partly due to it being so much easier and partly due to knowing how to get through it all). I'm out of town now so I can't finish it till next week, but I know the final fight is much easier on Casual. I'm also going for the not dying trophy and also trying to get all the Pangloss statues. However, after my first playthrough I got about 30 of them - in my second I only found like 10 more so I thought well, there must be only 50 or so. WRONG! I checked ps3trophies.org and there are OVER 100! WTF!? The vast majority of them must be extremely well hidden. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with that one as I probably won't be able to do hard mode or the challenges either. There's no point wasting time on collection crap if I can't get a platinum.[/QUOTE]
Damn- that sucks about the difficulty thing. I played through on hard and for the last level...
I dashed around and picked up weapons and then let them kill me. Then i just repeated that until I had maxed out all my guns. Then I made sure i died with a shotgun, heavy rifle, and a rocket launcher. I shot the red one 3 times with the rocket launcher, picked up the refill to the left, shot him 3 more times. Then i got close enough to spray him with my shotgun. After getting him down to a quarter of his life, the QTE triggered. After he was dead- i died again. Then i had my rocket launcher full, and the refill was back- so i shot the other guy 6 times and chased him around with my shotgun (much easier because of the double boost). Kind of a cheap trick, but it worked well.

Oh man, I can't believe there are so many of those statues. I've been keeping my eyes open for them this whole time, and I've only found 4 of them. I didn't know what they heck they were and I was trying to pick one up and finally shot it and it turned red. I'm definitely not looking forward to that last mission hearing what you just said; playing on hard, I've gotten into some really frustrating situations, so I know I'm going to go berserk on that last one. Hopefully there i some trick that makes it easy (like that last spoiler post I just did about the Argus Core).

One thing I really wish in this game would be for the melee to be better. You can only really pull off a couple of melee attacks before you overheat; then, if you don't kill them, you can't freaking run away.

That really sucks that you didn't get at least one trophy for beating the stage on casual.

[quote name='jh6269']I think the graphics are really awesome; the textures and everything look pretty great. The framerate has never dipped for me; it's constant. The only issue I've seen is some pop-in of parts of the environment (the occasional tree, trashcan, or other small environmental item). Platinum Games definitely did a great job on this one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I love the details. I dig how Sam's suit actually looks like a functioning machine with moving parts rather than just some spandex bodysuit.

bread's done
Back