- - - - -

Serious question about morals

#31 Baddwill   Trust Me CAGiversary!   563 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Baddwill

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:22 AM

I don't blame him. It's like stealing bread because your broke and homeless and need to feed your family. It was done for survival. Fuck the druggist and his greed.

#32 Rocko   Hurm. CAGiversary!   38793 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:39 AM

Seems like Utilitarianism vs. Kantian ethics. Pick a side.

#33 born free   Old School CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

I've heard this story before, I believe it is part of a personality test.

Stick the radium in her pooper.

And yes this is the correct answer from what I can remember.

#34 J7.   $$$$ It CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

He should have stolen the entire supply and sold it at a price based on people's ability to pay. Maybe then the druggist would go broke and feel a portion of their pain. After he repents he can receive the profits.

#35 help1   What a dumb username CAGiversary!   11732 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Kohlberg's stages of moral development up in here.

Lol yup. I took a class on Moral Development. We discussed this very question from various moral standpoints for about 5 weeks. Shitty class, and I kinda think Kohlberg's theory is horseshit.

In case any of you were wondering, the "correct" answer according to Stage 5/6 thinking (highest moral development stages, with stage 6 members being Gandhi and MLK) is to steal the drug.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Heinz_dilemma

#36 Wolfkin   The Eternal Second Banana CAGiversary!   3592 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

druggist? is that a thing people say? excuse my ignorance if it is.

Europe has universal health care. Heinz is wasting his time thinking about this.

Also, is your intro to Psych paper due soon?

i knew i recognized this from somewhere.

#37 J7.   $$$$ It CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:50 AM

druggist? is that a thing people say? excuse my ignorance if it is.

Botanist, psychiatrist, ....

In this case maybe it would be better to call him a drug developer or scientist, since some people probably equate druggist as having negative connotations. Maybe some unintentional bias from the person who originally wrote up this moral argument to be debated? Do some people view druggist with positive connotations? Fuck it, some people hate scientists. Which one is the most neutral.

#38 crunchb3rry   HODOR! CAGiversary!   5524 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

crunchb3rry

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

I think druggist is the old term that is now referred to as pharmacist. Same way we started calling it "pork" and "beef" because saying "Yes waiter, I'll have the pig and my wife will have the cow." just sounds bad.

#39 Wolfkin   The Eternal Second Banana CAGiversary!   3592 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

ok because if i was asked I'd call that guy a pharmacist. if it's an old term I've never heard it before.. guess I gotta do some reading or what not.

#40 Jek Porkins   The Big Man in Orange CAGiversary!   670 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Jek Porkins

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

I think druggist is the old term that is now referred to as pharmacist. Same way we started calling it "pork" and "beef" because saying "Yes waiter, I'll have the pig and my wife will have the cow." just sounds bad.

Sure, but this guy developed this new drug. I'd classify him as a Chemist in this instance.