Bioshock 2 $19.99 at Amazon and GameStop - Universal price drop?

Didn't this game just come out in February? I can't believe 19.99 after only 8 months of being out proof that your a fool if your spending 59.99 on games when the inevitable price drop is coming.

[quote name='needler420']Didn't this game just come out in February? I can't believe 19.99 after only 8 months of being out proof that your a fool if your spending 59.99 on games when the inevitable price drop is coming.[/QUOTE]

Amazing isn't it? But some games just seem to never go that low. Makes one wonder what determines a game dropping like a rock to $20 and others floating at the $30-$40 mark for years..

[quote name='Dominick331']Amazing isn't it? But some games just seem to never go that low. Makes one wonder what determines a game dropping like a rock to $20 and others floating at the $30-$40 mark for years..[/QUOTE]

Replay value.

Seems like a universal price drop, game is well worth $20 IMO, I really enjoyed playing through it and the online multiplayer isn't completely terrible.

[quote name='kaelinronkus']Heavenly Sword...[/QUOTE]

I believe its more like market saturation. You can never have enough Mario (family/replay/name brand). Even great games can be decrease in value because they were saturated to a real gamers market (Mass Effect 2/Bioshock 2/etc)

But yeah , the only way anyone can explain Heavenly sword is that its a really good hot chick GoW clone that did not saturate the market like Bayonetta did. They seem to have limited the production of Heavenly Sword, is there a greatest hits?

I was able to pick up 2 copies (one for PC & one for 360) of the Collector's Edition at my local BestBuy a month or so ago on clearance for $20. So my advice -- wait and keep an eye out for LE versions still out there in stores.

[quote name='Dominick331']Amazing isn't it? But some games just seem to never go that low. Makes one wonder what determines a game dropping like a rock to $20 and others floating at the $30-$40 mark for years..[/QUOTE]

It's sales. As long as a game sells at a good rate, the price won't go down (i.e. COD series). If the game sells slowly, the price goes down rather quickly (i.e. nearly every Ubisoft game).

Supply and demand typically takes the role of prices. Plus, it also depends on how their sales have been and how much money they want to make. I assume after you meet your expected quota after production, you just price drop your game and move on to the next one (or make the main game cheap and sell some more expensive DLC.)

That'd be another thing. DLC probably helps make games cheaper. If you're sold a $20 game but there's $40 of content, you're still paying $60. ALL HAIL DLC!

This and Mass Effect 2 are dropping like rocks. Bioshock 2 is a good game, but the uniqueness of the first game is not there. But still this is an excellent game. And its got good multiplayer. What else do we need for $20?

picked this up for $15 on a steam sale back in July, though not as engrossing as Bioshock was, it is still a fun game to explore Rapture one more time. I'm not sure about console MP, but other than TDM, doesn't seem like any other online MP mode is ever played.

[quote name='sloindahed']I knew this was coming. Ordered as soon as I saw it.
Come on Arkham Asylum... follow suit...[/QUOTE]

You know, it's really surprising how long Arkham Asylum has held at its price, although, I know that the GOTY version helped to bolster its current price (similar to the Borderlands GOTY edition). And surprisingly, I still have not even played Arkham! :hot: I wanted to play it on the PC, but after installing it and realizing the keyboard/mouse controls were an absolute convoluted disaster, I figured I would wait until I was able to purchase a PC controller... Yeeeeaahhh, that was about 9 months ago? haha.

Which reminds me! Does anyone know of a really great PC controller they can recommend? I really enjoyed using Microsoft's wireless usb hookup (which I borrowed from my former roommate) w/ the xbox 360 controller, but now I no longer have it and I do not want to pay $50-60 for a new one.

It's also $19.99 at Target (PS3, didn't check 360), just saw it 15 minutes ago. No need as I traded some moron on craigslist a free copy of Iron Man 2 I received for it the week the movie came out.

[quote name='karkyco']It's also $19.99 at Target (PS3, didn't check 360), just saw it 15 minutes ago. No need as I traded some moron on craigslist a free copy of Iron Man 2 I received for it the week the movie came out.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure he didn't get the better deal ? :D

[quote name='kaelinronkus']Heavenly Sword...[/QUOTE]
You forgot the word sucks in that sentence.;) The lack of a jump button, QTE's where the button combination changes from one attempt to the next, the forced SixAxis sections(not anymore thankfully due to a patch:applause:)....oh and did I mention the lack of a jump button?

Yeah. I really hated this game. The only redeeming part was that Nariko's voice sort of reminded me of Peta Wilson from La Femme Nikita.:drool:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Yeah. I really hated this game. The only redeeming part was that Nariko's voice sort of reminded me of Peta Wilson from La Femme Nikita.:drool:[/QUOTE]

Even better, Noriko (voice/motion capture) = Anna Torv from "Fringe" :drool:

[quote name='ShockandAww']Good deal if you still dont have it. It's not as good as the first but it's still a very good game.[/QUOTE]

It's BETTER than the first. Dual wield makes everything better.

It just doesn't have the "omg, this is rapture" newness.

enjoyed the first much better. still at 19.99, it's definitely worth it. it's got the multiplayer, and i'm sure there's probably a few people still playing that.

I might end up grabbing this for console or waiting to see what the deal is on it for BF since the PC version I own got screwed over for DLC and some bug fixes.

They just had this for $17.99 as a lightning deal on wednesday. Glad I held off. I am predicting sub-$15 soon and a platinum hits version with free DLC.

[quote name='kak23']Replay value.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. There are very few games I actually will pre-order for that very reason. The only time I do pre-order, is when I think a game is an absolute can't miss and I know I will invest a lot of hours into it which include re playability.

The only games I've ever pre-ordered are Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and now Fable III LE (first ever LE I've ever pre-ordered). The first two I still feel to this day were worth the $60 and change I spent (the current price drops are ridiculous, anyone that doesn't have the game can't go wrong at the current prices) and hoping I will be able to objectively say the same thing once I've played through Fable III.

It's tempting, but I'm gonna hold off for either it to drop a few more $ or the platinum hits version and get all that dlc on it, if they do that.

Edit: Also a bit off topic, but whatever happened to that ACII complete edition?

I loved the first one but I got it for free and I was still a bit underwhelmed when it was over. I'd like to get Bioshock 2 before all you can find are the hideous silver PH ones.

And of course you all liked the first one better, that goes without saying.

I know for a fact that SEARS in my area is still selling it for 29.99 and COD4 for 49.99, I don't know what those people are thinking.

Zelda Twilight Princess, a launch title for Wii, is still full price, as are most other Wii first party games.

If you liked the first one, $20 is a good price for bioshock 2. I've played through it twice and the first time I found the story a bit confusing and thought some of the level design was good at times and not so good at other times. But the gameplay is pretty solid and its a good solid 10-12 hours of gameplay in the single player....The story makes much more sense the second time through.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back