[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

MInes51

CAGiversary!
As the title says, I'm not 100% if this is all red boxes, but it sounds like it's either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Either way when they start selling the excess stock like they do for the movies, there probably will be some deals to be had. Just a heads up.

Games out for the 360
Fable 3
Halo Reach
Fallout: New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved
NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for PS3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
Fallout New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for Wii
Family party 90
Deca Sports 3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
NBA Jam
New Carnival Games
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Metroid: Other M

No games currently out for DS or PS2, altough there seems to be plans got them.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's excellent news. I mean sometimes if you're on the fence about buying a game even after playing a demo or if there isn't a demo you can just throw down $2 and find out for sure. And those games that only have 6-8 hours of gameplay you can play through in a day or two and only cost you $2-4.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like my area has them yet but I hope they do soon.

Is there anyway to actually see the games and reserve them like you do the movies yet? I am not seeing it myself? Too bad the closest box to me is not on the list.

Sweet!!! Got a ton of em near me. Gotta go see if i can get MOH for tonight.

[quote name='Nesrie']Is there anyway to actually see the games and reserve them like you do the movies yet? I am not seeing it myself? Too bad the closest box to me is not on the list.[/QUOTE]

Online reservation is not available for games. They wont even let u see whats available.

none in Houston have them..and I'm not sure if this a deal..MSRP is $2, redboxes are like hookers, they are practically on every corner, so if your town has 'em, you've got 'em.

Saw this at a 7-Eleven in Orlando in August when I was at Celebration V. I don't remember much of what was available, but it looked like recent releases (e.g., Super Mario Galaxy 2).

I think this is a better deal because when I have time to play a game it's usually only for about a 24-hour period and then it will be a week or two before I can back into it.

They have started this in my area. The only games they have right now are NBA 2K11, Enslaved, Fallout New Vegas, and Kane & Lynch 2. I'm hoping for Medal of Honor also.

[quote name='iamme10']They have started this in my area. The only games they have right now are NBA 2K11, Enslaved, Fallout New Vegas, and Kane & Lynch 2. I'm hoping for Medal of Honor also.[/QUOTE]

Enslaved at 8-10 hours and K&L2 at 3 hours are perfect for a one-day rental.

To take the most advantage of it, you can rent shortly after midnight on day one and it won't be due back until 9pm on day two (45 hours of rental time for $2)

[quote name='Kerig']Enslaved at 8-10 hours and K&L2 at 3 hours are perfect for a one-day rental.

To take the most advantage of it, you can rent shortly after midnight on day one and it won't be due back until 9pm on day two (45 hours of rental time for $2)[/QUOTE]

K&L 2 only takes 3 hours to beat? wow

I dunno... $2 a night for really short games might be ok but many games take more than 8+ hours to finish. I guess it's good if you have nothing else to do and can finish a game in a single sitting.

[quote name='davo1224']I think that's more expensive than Blockbuster/HWV even. Certainly more than Gamefly.[/QUOTE]
Depending on where you live (and how long it takes you to finish games) gamefly is more expensive. For me gamefly had at least an 8 day turn around turning the game in the next day. For me to get 3 games (one at a time plan) I have about 7 days left over to play them (3game X 8days - 31days in a month). I'd add the 2 at a time plan, but for me it always worked out that I'd just get 1 extra game rental per month so I feel that would be skewed.

For the same price as a gamefly subscription you get 8 nights (or 11 nights for the two at a time) worth of game rentals through redbox. Keep in mind this is actual play time in which there was only 7 days w/ gamefly under my shipping conditions. Plus if you're the type that wants to player fewer games, but for a longer time gamefly is a better option. On the other hand redbox only charges what you use. So if you're busy, or they don't have the game you want you aren't charged. Also redbox is on your schedule. So if you only play on the weekend then redbox fits your needs much better than gamefly.

Gamefly only sounds better since you think 31 days of rentals but in reality most of that is spent in shipping.

[quote name='jrhawk42']Depending on where you live (and how long it takes you to finish games) gamefly is more expensive. For me gamefly had at least an 8 day turn around turning the game in the next day. For me to get 3 games (one at a time plan) I have about 7 days left over to play them (3game X 8days - 31days in a month). I'd add the 2 at a time plan, but for me it always worked out that I'd just get 1 extra game rental per month so I feel that would be skewed.

For the same price as a gamefly subscription you get 8 nights (or 11 nights for the two at a time) worth of game rentals through redbox. Keep in mind this is actual play time in which there was only 7 days w/ gamefly under my shipping conditions. Plus if you're the type that wants to player fewer games, but for a longer time gamefly is a better option. On the other hand redbox only charges what you use. So if you're busy, or they don't have the game you want you aren't charged. Also redbox is on your schedule. So if you only play on the weekend then redbox fits your needs much better than gamefly.

Gamefly only sounds better since you think 31 days of rentals but in reality most of that is spent in shipping.[/QUOTE]

I have about a 3 or 4 day turnaround from LA to Seattle area for GF. But I get 4 games out at a time and I can keep them as long as I want. That's infinitely better than $2 a night for me. I'll just use Redbox to try out some new games for a day that I wouldn't get right away from GF

Sounds like a great idea for shorter games like those mentioned. I personally can't even finish short games within a day or 2 usually but I may just give it a try for $2-$4.

All the redboxes nearby me have games, definitely gonna check it out. With all the family get-togethers coming up for the holidays, this would probably be useful to rent out some multiplayer games to play.

Ive never used Redox but if the ones around here get games ill try it out. I dont like to rush through games but it will help me decide what to buy.

I'll definitely be taking advantage of this for shorter single player games. I can really sit down and power play some games, and since I'm thinking of starting some "Let's Play" videos with some friends, this couldn't have come at a better time. Unfortunately, none of the Redboxes near me have them, though. :p I'm looking forward to when they expand this idea, and I signed up to be alerted when it hits my area. For those of you who lucked out and have some close, enjoy it!

It's cheaper to just "rent" a game from Gamestop. Buy used and return within 7 days.

2 dollars a night is bonkers, they are just going to rake in the late fees with this one

I definitely agree this is not ideally for long stay but if you have some friends coming over or something you can definitely drop two$ for a night of fun. Or just use it to beat real short game at 2$ is a steal. Plus when they start selling the excess stock or the games people are no longer renting like they do for the movies, it'l probably be a sweet deal.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']It's cheaper to just "rent" a game from Gamestop. Buy used and return within 7 days.

2 dollars a night is bonkers, they are just going to rake in the late fees with this one[/QUOTE]

yea if you are lacking morals then yea it is cheaper

no redbox's near me have games, but luckily Family Video's in the midwest seem to be doing fine, and their game rentals are only $3 a night, so that's good enough for me.

[quote name='dusbbal2008']yea if you are lacking morals then yea it is cheaper[/QUOTE]
I've only done that in times where I feel I regret the purchase whether because the game isn't what I expected or it's extremely short. I saw everything there was to see in Splinter cell conviction in 4 days, and although I felt that the $35 were well spent, I couldn't justify myself keeping this since my game-spending funds are very low.

[quote name='mike.m']I have about a 3 or 4 day turnaround from LA to Seattle area for GF. But I get 4 games out at a time and I can keep them as long as I want. That's infinitely better than $2 a night for me. I'll just use Redbox to try out some new games for a day that I wouldn't get right away from GF[/QUOTE]
I'm going to call bull on a 3 day turn around. Three days one way maybe, but 3 days turn around means they ship it Monday, you return it Tuesday, and they send a new one out Wednesday.

At first I thought this was just a retarded idea, but I guess it would be pretty cool for the really short single player games I don't want to miss out on. I'll definitely play Enslaved on one of my day's off when they do this around me.

The great thing is that redbox always has codes to rent movies bluray and now games for 1.00 off. So if you find codes you can rent a game for $1 a night or a bluray for .50 a night and movies are free. DVDONME and BREAKROOM are 2 codes that will give you a dollar off. They are one time use per account though so enjoy if you havent used already.

The only thing that will suck now is the LINES will get longer and the gas you will waste waiting in your car will make this a no deal. Gamefly would be cheaper.

[quote name='akokonas']The great thing is that redbox always has codes to rent movies bluray and now games for 1.00 off. So if you find codes you can rent a game for $1 a night or a bluray for .50 a night and movies are free. DVDONME and BREAKROOM are 2 codes that will give you a dollar off. They are one time use per account though so enjoy if you havent used already.[/QUOTE]

Promo codes don't work on games unless explicitly stated. Movies and Games are not grouped together.

[quote name='akokonas']The great thing is that redbox always has codes to rent movies bluray and now games for 1.00 off. So if you find codes you can rent a game for $1 a night or a bluray for .50 a night and movies are free. DVDONME and BREAKROOM are 2 codes that will give you a dollar off. They are one time use per account though so enjoy if you havent used already.[/QUOTE]

good luck finding codes though. last year when redbox was sort of new you seen free movie codes come out like candy.. now its very hard to find codes

I wonder why they list DS games.. I doubt you will ever see DS games in a Redbox... wii.ps3,360 all are DISC games meaning its the same barcode as movies... Ds is cart based and would be a major pain in the ass to rent out of redboxes

I wonder if they'd have Rock Band 3 in this week. Then I could get the free Doors songs while still waiting for my preorder to show up from Dell in 2034.

[quote name='BAMAJD']So, what happens if you never return the game back to the box?[/QUOTE]

Your CC gets charged? Either you're trying to plan some sort of fraud or you're really naive.

bread's done
Back